Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Employees Accuse Darwin Project's Creative Director of Abuse | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageEmployees Accuse Darwin Project's Creative Director of Abuse | MMORPG.com

Scavengers Studio Creative Director Simon Darveau has been accused by current and former employees of multiple abuse claims. According to insiders that spoke with gamesindustry.biz staff writer Rebekah Valentine, Darveau not only screamed and belittled women in the office, but inappropriately touched several of them after getting intoxicated at a company party in early 2019, which resulted in two employees quitting.

Read the full story here

Gdemami

Comments

• LamiaCritterLamiaCritter Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Claim it all you want. Until it's proven, then it's just hearsay and attempted defamation. if it's proven, then he should be punished to the fullest possible extent.
    maskedweaselScotWhiteLanternFrodoFragins
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited January 2021
    Tone and the words you choose show if you are choosing a side. To call a news item a "report" does just that, it makes it sound like a study has been done into the issue when this is only a collection of hearsay statements. Also no attempt was made to reflect the positive aspects of the studio which are mentioned in the article, leaving those out makes the item on this site more damming and hype worthy which I am afraid may have been the intention.

However, looking over the article I would be astonished if nothing had happened. The company though seems to have taken the right steps and replaced those responsible, from the limited amount we can tell about this they sorted it out.
    Gdemami
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Sounds more like over-sensitive people that get hired into these studios. There is a major issue with ageism and sexism in tech. I mean that as in the industry discriminates against males and those over 40.
    IselinQQMorePlease
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Claim it all you want. Until it's proven, then it's just hearsay and attempted defamation. if it's proven, then he should be punished to the fullest possible extent.
    Journalists don't need to prove stuff. In situations like this they need to:
      1. Make it clear that they're reporting accusations, not facts
      2. Present the accusations to the accused party before making them public and give them option to respond to them
      3. Include the accused party's response in their article

As long as journalist does those things, they are allowed to report stuff without fear of defamation charges and without any obligation to prove stuff.

Gdemami[Deleted User]

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Ok, well, going to be honest, belittling and screaming at people is not the way to run any company, I imagine even less a tech company, because I have never in all my years working as a foreman at a construction company had to scream at anyone, and I was working with people dumber than the bricks they were laying.
    WhiteLanternmaskedweasel[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Cleffy said:
    Sounds more like over-sensitive people that get hired into these studios. There is a major issue with ageism and sexism in tech. I mean that as in the industry discriminates against males and those over 40.
    Speaking of over-sensitive, WTF are you going on about?

"According to a global software developer survey in 2020, the vast majority of developers are the male gender, accounting for 91.5 percent of all respondents. Female developers amounted to only eight percent of all respondents, demonstrating the male-dominating reality of the software development job."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1126823/worldwide-developer-gender/#:~:text=According to a global software,of the software development job.

maskedweaselSovrath[Deleted User]Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Cleffy said:
    If he is belittling and screaming at people then not only is that not conducive to a good working environment, it's not professional.

There's a reason I've been at my current company for almost 10 years. I've worked in offices that had higher level managers who would embarrass you in front of others and basically create poisonous environments where people were always looking for another job.
    maskedweaselPanther2103[Deleted User]Ungood[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Sovrath said:
    Cleffy said:
    If he is belittling and screaming at people then not only is that not conducive to a good working environment, it's not professional.

There's a reason I've been at my current company for almost 10 years. I've worked in offices that had higher level managers who would embarrass you in front of others and basically create poisonous environments where people were always looking for another job.
    as the saying goes.. People don't quit jobs, they quit employers.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

This discussion has been closed.