Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valheim EA

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,426
    edited March 22
    I found the tree boss far far easier to kill solo, and I have 5 or 6 times, than the swamp boss.  Tree guy is super easy to stay away from and just pluck arrows at him from behind the pillars, hell I don't even get hit once. No prep required other than have enough arrows

Swamp guy was horrible, his spawn spot was by some deep swamp water, kiting him while taking care of adds was much more difficult and I was using a lvl 4 iron mace, only succeeded on that one cause I was with 3 other friends..lol 

Died once to him however we had set up a portal with beds nearby so was a quick 30 sec run back to the fight.

Mind you I did the bosses after the bosses were buffed.
    AlBQuirky

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 4,840
    edited March 22
    When I first did the Elder in beta arrows were useless vs him.
    Post edited by Asheram on
    AlBQuirky
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,506
    Well, the more people there are, the stronger they become. I did mine solo. 

Besides, I was speaking mainly on how you have to fight the Elder compared to Bonemass difficulty wise. The elder is not really tougher, but you can't really stay in one spot unlike bonemass were I just went close to hit him, backed a little when he puts poison, then back to whacking him.

AlBQuirky

• BrainyBrainy Member RarePosts: 569
    I beat Bonemass solo right after they buffed him.   He was pretty tuff to me, I equipped a few different weapons until I found out he was weak to maces, but he has a lot of mechanics.  Melee macing him was pretty tuff, even with the good damage.

Bonemass is 2nd hardest boss IMO,  the last boss I was not expecting that level of difficulty.
    I found the first boss kind of hard actually, probably because I had no clue what I was doing.  Just running around the alter trying not to die and get stamina back.

I didn't use any online info, so my difficulty based on going in with the gear you have available at the time you fight the boss is as follows.

Yagluth>>>>Bonemass>>Eikthyr>The Elder>Moder

AlBQuirkyAsheram

AlBQuirky
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,135
    The delay in crop planting isn't quite as noticeable as the hoe/terrain deformation delay. The speculators conjecture this is about dampening performance issues related to client/server data transfer.

Another curious change is the "fire sources that give damage also take damage" which seems to be a "balance" pass change to inhibit farming.

If these are balance passes then I would hope they're bandaid fixes until they can be properly addressed in a future more robust update. They're just bad fixes overall.

Terrain manipulation and deformation is already rather frustrating and clunky. Slowing the process down because Unity struggles only adds to the annoyance.

A good change is that comfort levels have been adjusted. One of our buildings went from 13 to 15 comfort with the change. The reinforced chest change is also welcome.

Hopefully the network improvements actually reduce stuttering and make base loads smoother and faster. That would be much appreciated.

Valheim Plus mod has added the option to pull crafting and resources from nearby containers. This is awesome. No more overweight shuffling to craft or upgrade at the forge.
    AsheramAsm0deusAlBQuirkyBrainy
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

I wonder how the hammer delay will affect hiding in base and repairing walls til mobs get bored.

Also wonder if the fire thing is because of videos like that one I linked where he killed elkthyr and the elder with only campfires.
    TorvalAlBQuirky
    Asheram said:
    I wonder how the hammer delay will affect hiding in base and repairing walls til mobs get bored.

Also wonder if the fire thing is because of videos like that one I linked where he killed elkthyr and the elder with only campfires.

There is an option in V+ to repair an area with one hammer hit. I don't think it's enabled on our server and I didn't look into the details, but your question is a good one. Blueturtle and I tend to reuse and repair a lot of buildings, towers, and villages we find in the world. We repurpose them into rest stops and localized material farming HQs. If this hammer delay ends up being a pain I'm sure we'll make server adjustments to compensate.

My opinion is that the fire change was exactly for the reason you say, to neuter clever farming areas. I really hope this is a bandaid while they develop better AI behavior because I find it dumb, to be honest.

Part of a sandbox experience is solving problems cleverly and creatively. In my opinion farming dwarves with a fire pit isn't very useful. While it's good for the lulz it doesn't provide a very practical advantage. I mean if people were doing that for a resin farm because and they don't want to grind out dwarves, then they'll just mod the game so light sources don't consume resin (like we did).

This sort of change does nothing to deal with more productive exploits like Surtling spawn farms in swamps. I basically have all the coal and cores I could want from 2 or 3 spawn points. Maybe they'll eventually nerf that, but I also think that would be the wrong approach. The right approach is to make farming those things compelling not boring.

In my opinion they should focus on fleshing out the game and adding more content and systems. How about jewelry? How about better crafting options and diversity (e.g.: enchantments); tiers to farming gear; more building pieces, shapes and tiers; interesting mob loot and reason to farm mobs other than a few key components; replacing everything needing iron with more interesting and diverse components; fix terrain manipulation; and several other things.
    AsheramBrainyAsm0deusAlBQuirky

edited March 23
    I would never have the patience to sit afk for long periods to be in range so the surtlings spawn. You can sail to ashlands and gain as much while being active. I have recently started going out and killing them when they raid me and getting what I need.
    As far as greydwarfs go I found myself wishing I could stop them from dropping stuff as limited inventory space fills up too fast and its not hard to kill them.

TorvalAlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,832
    Valheim Plus sounds interesting. I might look into that.
    TorvalAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
    Asheram said:
    I would never have the patience to sit afk for long periods to be in range so the surtlings spawn. You can sail to ashlands and gain as much while being active. I have recently started going out and killing them when they raid me and getting what I need.
    As far as greydwarfs go I found myself wishing I could stop them from dropping stuff as limited inventory space fills up too fast and its not hard to kill them.

I don't sit there waiting for the respawn. In fact they respawn slower if you do. We have a small hub with portal near there. I just pop in and do a circuit to gather the coal. The cores are just a bonus. Then I port back to the main base, load up the kilns and then the smelters. It's sort of a circuit that happens every 10 minutes or so. The coal kilns and the surtling pools supplement each other so I don't have to wait as long overall.

Once we finally find the Ashlands that whole strategy might change. One thing about playing is how exploration and discovery changes how I do things.
    Asm0deusAsheramAlBQuirky

edited March 23
    Torval said:
    Asheram said:

I don't sit there waiting for the respawn. In fact they respawn slower if you do. We have a small hub with portal near there. I just pop in and do a circuit to gather the coal. The cores are just a bonus. Then I port back to the main base, load up the kilns and then the smelters. It's sort of a circuit that happens every 10 minutes or so. The coal kilns and the surtling pools supplement each other so I don't have to wait as long overall.

Once we finally find the Ashlands that whole strategy might change. One thing about playing is how exploration and discovery changes how I do things.
    Oh ok didnt know that. Watched this video and it sounded like you had to be in range for them to spawn.

Would seem to make more sense if the spawners were in the plains though, would kill any farming options like this though.

And in case you didnt know just sail

as far south as you can for ashlands

TorvalAlBQuirkykitarad
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,832
    I downloaded Valheim Plus and am currently configuring it. Hopefully I find a balance between difficulty and fun I am happy with and don't feel like I am cheating myself. I really don't want to make the game easier but some things are bit too hard for me as far as mobs go. I am a poor fighter and this hurdle is something I need to overcome on my own. 

I will periodically save my progress in case I come upon an impossible situation and find corpse retrieval nigh impossible.
    AsheramTorvalAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,569
    cheyane said:
    I downloaded Valheim Plus and am currently configuring it. Hopefully I find a balance between difficulty and fun I am happy with and don't feel like I am cheating myself. I really don't want to make the game easier but some things are bit too hard for me as far as mobs go. I am a poor fighter and this hurdle is something I need to overcome on my own. 

I will periodically save my progress in case I come upon an impossible situation and find corpse retrieval nigh impossible.
    It's a game and in some cases a "toy."

You can make it any way you feel like. The whole idea is to have some entertainment.

If making it easier makes it more fun then do it.

blueturtle13AsheramcheyaneTorvalkitaradAlBQuirky
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member RarePosts: 741
    edited March 24
    Should they add a feature of finding a damsel in distress... being able to marry and have children at your base?  That could get kill by an attack?

Super hard boss guarding her.

Maybe she and the lads could do basic chores while you're off exploring?
    AsheramkitaradAlBQuirky
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,974
    I captured and imprisoned the 1st boss last night. Dug a big hole near our base and just lured him in there and raised the terrain behind him. Maybe I will capture all the bosses. Not sure about the dragon yet.
    AsheramcheyaneTorvalkitaradAlBQuirky
    edited March 24
    Tiller said:
    Lol the first pic made me think of how cool it would be to have a boss fight like the Darksiders one where the big guy is stuck in the road.
    2:40 into
    AlBQuirky
    edited March 26
    Did some farming of mats and found Modors altar spent a day or so setting it all up and today with my boy and his uncle we kicked his arse......I was expecting him to be much much harder.

Guessing he will be solo, as he will be focused on you, but with more than one person you can stand right next to him and swing your sword away at him when he is on the ground and he ignores you trying to get whoever has aggro.

If 3 people surround him like we did he kind of start spinning and doesn't seem to know what to do. I Don't think he hit me once lmao...

Anyways bonemass is far, far , far harder than Modor IMO!

I had like 300 poison arrows for him built up and only used like 40 or so and only when he was in the air, the rest of the time used my mace's special attack on him and waited for my stamina to come back up when out.

His flying attacks are easy to avoid too.

Anyways got some nice salty modor tears, built some more stuff in my smithy and placed a windmill afterwards!

AsheramcheyaneAlBQuirky

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Did some farming of mats and found Modors altar spent a day or so setting it all up and today with my boy and his uncle we kicked his arse......I was expecting him to be much much harder.

Guessing he will be solo, as he will be focused on you, but with more than one person you can stand right next to him and swing your sword away at him when he is on the ground and he ignores you trying to get whoever has aggro.

If 3 people surround him like we did he kind of start spinning and doesn't seem to know what to do. I Don't think he hit me once lmao...

I had like 300 poison arrows for him built up and only used like 40 or so and only when he was in the air, the rest of the time used my mace's special attack on him and waited for my stamina to come back up when out.

Anyways got some nice salty modor tears, built some more stuff in my smithy and placed a windmill afterwards!

Nice, now you are going to want to make a farm in the plains to make use of that windmill much better.
    Asm0deusAlBQuirky
    Asheram said:
    Asm0deus said:

Nice, now you are going to want to make a farm in the plains to make use of that windmill much better.

Already have one! I found a mini plains area I completely walled off using the hoe earth wall method only thing inside is 3 lox I might tame eventually and I left a tiny tiny section of plains outside the wall were one fuling and one deathsquito spawn and are easy to kill from the top of my wall! 

All covered in workbenches so it's safe and cozy inside! The only way in is via portal or stamina running up the wall.

AsheramAlBQuirky

edited March 26
    Asm0deus said:
    Asheram said:
    Asm0deus said:

Already have one! I found a mini plains area I completely walled off using the hoe earth wall method only thing inside is 3 lox I might tame eventually and I left a tiny tiny section of plains outside the wall were one fuling and one deathsquito spawn and are easy to kill from the top of my wall! 

All covered in workbenches so it's safe and cozy inside! The only way in is via portal or stamina running up the wall.

Awesome, just put on troll armor set and go out and throw the lox a cloudberry everytime you log in. I tamed 2 of them without making a fancy pen like wolves or boar.
    AlBQuirky
    Very cool. Congrats on Modor.
    AlBQuirkyAsheramAsm0deus

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,697
    I'm searching for Elder (2nd Boss). His marker is on the other side of a swamp biome. I'm seeing if I can get safely to him with my ship :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,177
    How many here have beat all the bosses and biomes? Just curious
    AlBQuirky