Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 most played MMORPGs in 2020

2»

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    No one know the numbers.  No mmorpg company want to publish theirs and keep it mysterious so people think they are popular.  

There are many drifters who play a while and move on.  So sale numbers dont' reflect daily active players.  I remember playing GW2 and notice most account don't have any achievement points so many people probably bought the game but dont' play for long.

It seemed the norm that many people may try a mmorpg but only very few stick around.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited January 2021
    In this business. many gamers are attracted by numbers...You could take two MMOs: One has 1,000,000 players, the other has 1000,,,Even if the games are almost identical, gamers will go to the one that has more people playing. That's why they try to exaggerate the numbers as much as possible.
    ScotGdemami[Deleted User]KyleranAlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    In this business. many gamers are attracted by numbers...You could take two MMOs: One has 1,000,000 players, the other has 1000,,,Even if the games are almost identical, gamers will go to the one that has more people playing. That's why they try to exaggerate the numbers as much as possible.
    And we wonder why gamming studios treat us like we were five year olds. :)
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Scot said:
    And we wonder why gamming studios treat us like we were five year olds. :)
    because too many of us act like 5 year olds?
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Yes and No.

On one had, it seems that many MMO's try to play this cloak and dagger BS with their numbers so no one really knows what they have.

On the other hand, populated games tend to attract people, so if I have the choice between two games that are near identical, there is no reason to play the less populated one, as more players not only give me a more robust population, which means it should be easier to find groups and guilds, it also means that the developers will be making more money and thus can proved better service in both a personal level, like CS, as well as a mechanical level, like top tier server stability and the like, as well as afford to have more staff that will make it so they can provide more consistent and better updates.

In fact this is the bane of all WoW Clones, if you have a bunch of games that near to the same, the copies just Waterdown the population, and players have little motive to feel attached to their games uniqueness, and might as well just flock to the studio that makes the most money and thus can can provide the best service.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    remsleep said:
    eoloe said:
    Yes there is about 14K conccurent players on BDO on Steam. But here they are talking about daily players not conccurent ones.

14K concurrent in BDO a game where people afk 24/7 is probably close to how many daily players?

50K? 80k?

Again the number is 750K daily players, that would mean a shitton of people just log in and log out in 10 seconds like 500K players do that? 

Or maybe - just maybe - the 750K daily players is just completely wrong

The game at launch had 120K daily players as reported by Daum (publisher at the time) - they have declined in number of daily players - agian reported by kakao since launch.

So now magically the game has 6 times the daily players.. lol how?
    Steam is notorious bad service for bdo a simple search in the forums will show it
    Most ppl who play bdo know that 90% use the official launcher steam bdo has only been around for two years of the 5-6 years bdo had been around in the west
    So those 15k conccurent players are actually 100.000 at the very least

As for the game having only 120.000 concurent that was before i-v gear was introduced to the game where in fact it was losing players fast.
    After the introduction player numbers have exploded because now they had something to strive for in the gmae while before you could reach endgame in a week of casual play and the were getting bored fast

Bdo has a service in over 250 countries were in eu and na alone it has about 100 servers even if they are not full you can tell there are alot of ppl playing it also has 3 steam services if you use steam charts you can see them without counting the official launcher were the vast majority plays because of steam service bad rep for the game
    AlBQuirky
    remsleep said:
    Remali said:
    remsleep said:
    eoloe said:
    Yes there is about 14K conccurent players on BDO on Steam. But here they are talking about daily players not conccurent ones.

14K concurrent in BDO a game where people afk 24/7 is probably close to how many daily players?

50K? 80k?

Again the number is 750K daily players, that would mean a shitton of people just log in and log out in 10 seconds like 500K players do that? 

The game at launch had 120K daily players as reported by Daum (publisher at the time) - they have declined in number of daily players - agian reported by kakao since launch.

Steam is notorious bad service for bdo a simple search in the forums will show it
    Most ppl who play bdo know that 90% use the official launcher steam bdo has only been around for two years of the 5-6 years bdo had been around in the west

As for the game having only 120.000 concurent that was before i-v gear was introduced to the game where in fact it was losing players fast.
    After the introduction player numbers have exploded because now they had something to strive for in the gmae while before you could reach endgame in a week of casual play and the were getting bored fast

Bdo has a service in over 250 countries were in eu and na alone it has about 100 servers even if they are not full you can tell there are alot of ppl playing it also has 3 steam services if you use steam charts you can see them without counting the official launcher were the vast majority plays because of steam service bad rep for the game

So you think BDO has 750K daily users globally - vast majority of BDO users are in EU and NA (which are the biggest regions) - the game is actually not huge in Korea

because you can look at all NA servers during prime time - how many show crowded.. yeah about 6-8 

EU is the same.

Consoles - the game is not showing up as super high population on consoles (BDO is not in the top 20 games on either Xbox or PS)
    I'd believe that BDO has 750L MAU's.

Can you give me a reason not to?
    AlBQuirky

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Well more ppl means it is easier to find groups for content 
    It also means the game is less probable to shut down the servers and most mmo players are in for the long run some have stayed 10 or more years in the mmorpg the like so they want to feel the game has a good future ahead of it
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyUngood
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    remsleep said:
    Remali said:
    remsleep said:
    eoloe said:

50K? 80k?

So you think BDO has 750K daily users globally - vast majority of BDO users are in EU and NA (which are the biggest regions) - the game is actually not huge in Korea

because you can look at all NA servers during prime time - how many show crowded.. yeah about 6-8 

EU is the same.

Consoles - the game is not showing up as super high population on consoles (BDO is not in the top 20 games on either Xbox or PS)
    Maybe they got 200k on console and 500k on mobile.  

Their mobile number is much higher than PC/console.  

I dont' believe on the player numbers but their company revenue seemed high, and you can't fake that.  

I mostly just look at the company revenue.
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    remsleep said:
    Remali said:
    remsleep said:
    eoloe said:

50K? 80k?

EU is the same.

How many players constitute "crowded?"

We used to know actual populations by actual numbers way back when. Then obfuscating started. Now we get "light, medium, and heavy" instead.
    GdemamiKyleranUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited January 2021
    Remali said:
    It also means the game is less probable to shut down the servers and most mmo players are in for the long run some have stayed 10 or more years in the mmorpg the like so they want to feel the game has a good future ahead of it
    Yes agree.  But also, I love megaserver tech like ESO and some others have.  Gone are the days where you are stuck on a dead server, but now zones (from lowbie zones up) are full.

When going into launch for a new Mmorpg... I stressed out about what server I was going to join...
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,499
    Remali said:
    Yes agree.  But also, I love megaserver tech like ESO and some others have.  Gone are the days where you are stuck on a dead server, but now zones (from lowbie zones up) are full.

When going into launch for a new Mmorpg... I stressed out about what server I was going to join...
    Upsides and downsides to every design decision.

Mega servers remove the opportunity to connect regularly with a specific group of players, whether friend or foe which makes the experience less personal IMO.

As for being "stuck" on a dead server, transfers long since solved that issue without resorting to the mega approach.

UngoodGdemamiAlBQuirkycameltosis

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Remali said:

Upsides and downsides to every design decision.

Mega servers remove the opportunity to connect regularly with a specific group of players, whether friend or foe which makes the experience less personal IMO.

As for being "stuck" on a dead server, transfers long since solved that issue without resorting to the mega approach.

True about megaservers but transfers in most MMOs haven't really solved anything unless you're OK with waiting the 6 months to a year until they finally get around to offering free transfers or merging.

Also in traditional server-based MMOs there are many servers that are not dead but are chronically low and stay that way for years.

WoW does have server clusters that create a kind of megaserver but much smaller than the ESO one. That, IMO, is the best of both worlds. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]UngoodAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED