Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Return of LucasArts - LucasFilm Games

cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
From over on MOP:

LucasArts has been ressurrected as LucasFilm Games and will be doing *something* with the various IPs that Disney bought. There will be a new Indiana Jones game, developed by Bethsoft, and this new company will be taking over the reigns for future Star Wars games.

What isn't clear is what will be happening with EA. They still have an exclusive license til 2023, so it's possible that LucasFilm Games will simply be an oversight company, and EA will still develop / publish the games. Or, it may be that, given long development times, this new company has been set up now so that they can start working on games that will release from 2023 onwards.

Anyway, this gives me great hope! I've been boycotting EA since 2013 which means I haven't played a modern SW game in a long time. Not that I've missed much, theres a damn good reason I boycott EA, but this announcement gives me hope that we might start seeing more and better Star Wars games in the not too distant future.

AlBQuirkyGorweGdemamiTokken

Comments

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Sounds like they are just controlling the IP and outsourcing the actual game development.
    AlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Since it takes roughly 2 years to make almost even the simplest games, the plan might be to do future games (beyond 2023 releases) themselves.  It even seems like a practical first step to not renew expiring IP licenses.  We'll have to see what they choose to do.

Since this is LucasArts reborn, is it okay to classify them as zombies?  Maybe ZombieLA?  LucasFilms Games seems awfully pretentious, not to mention quite a mouthful.

UngoodcameltosisAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Mendel said:
    Since it takes roughly 2 years to make almost even the simplest games, the plan might be to do future games (beyond 2023 releases) themselves.  It even seems like a practical first step to not renew expiring IP licenses.  We'll have to see what they choose to do.
    I was thinking the same thing, since it takes time to make games, this is just a set up for things to come when EA ends their license, which, I think lets us all know the chances that EA will get to renew their license.  

AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Thanks to @blueturtle13 for the heads up in the news sub-forum:

An open world Star Wars game from the makers of The Division!

Hell yes!

A star wars game not from EA, thats the first big plus, means I can actually play it.

It's open world, another big plus.

From the makers of The Division. I don't really value their live-service approach and don't think they had the content to drive the game long term, never-the-less I really enjoyed my playthrough of TD2. Really well built world and pretty engaging combat.

I'm already excited :-) I just hope its not loot focused, and I really hope I get to wield a lightsaber.

TillerAlBQuirkyGdemamiTokken
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166
    Bring back Monkey Island
    MendelSlapshot1188AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Another woke ? Christ. Can't they let the legacy rest in peace ?
    If they want some woke , just make something new instead rewrite old one .

AlBQuirky
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I think its good they step in, in some way. Even if its just oversite. SW games do need a better level of quality. Also the mess EA has done with micro dings and RNGs has gone too far. Often games are not even really complete when they release. I hope this does good things for the IP. Maybe more cannon story? 
    AlBQuirky
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Good, good! What will happen with SWTOR after 2023 though?

Apart from that, no tears shed if EA really loses their exclusivity deal. They can still make SW games, but exclusivity, really? Go to hell!
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
  • irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Jedi knight 4 please, im sick of these Hollywood style games give us back the mods and the multiplayer community's.
    AlBQuirky
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Thanks to @blueturtle13 for the heads up in the news sub-forum:

An open world Star Wars game from the makers of The Division!

Hell yes!

A star wars game not from EA, thats the first big plus, means I can actually play it.

It's open world, another big plus.

From the makers of The Division. I don't really value their live-service approach and don't think they had the content to drive the game long term, never-the-less I really enjoyed my playthrough of TD2. Really well built world and pretty engaging combat.

I'm already excited :-) I just hope its not loot focused, and I really hope I get to wield a lightsaber.

I'm excited if it's mainly a PvE game with a little PvP on the side.... Hope it's not all PvP.
    AlBQuirkycameltosis

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!