Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you still visit the MMORPG.com forums?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
What is it that makes you continue to frequent the MMORPG.com forums?  Are you still involved in classic MMOs?  Interested in the current batch that's being developed?  Hopeful for a future resurgence of the genre?  Some other reason?
HyperpsycrowUngoodAlBQuirkyPo_ggcheyaneMendel

Comments

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    For me totally another reason. I don't play MMOs anymore but I still like to hear about them. In addition I get a lot of other good news from this site as well as observing/participating in some lively discussion from time to time.
    SovrathUngoodKyleranAlBQuirkyScotcheyane
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Hope,nothing more than hope.
    Sadly i see the entire gaming community is now nothing like gamers of old.

Now i look around seeing the interest,what are people doing and they are all in Twitch following popular streamers around like groupies.
    We had the same ordeal back in the Justin TV,hardly anyone cared or even thought about it,we just played games and didn't care to sit around watching someone else.

If there was a tournament of ome kind sure,see how the best do it but now i am not seeing an interest in playing games i am seeing a social media hangout of groupies.
    So in reality this site offers nothing for the NEW gamer mindset,this is a small limited social media place to visit but not hangout.

So if you want to feel like one of the modern gamers be prepared to NOT game and just hangout.

Me...as of right this minute just waiting on a timer as i am playing FFXI private server.
    HyperpsycrowUngoodAlBQuirkycheyane

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    Im just super bored, so each day i hope someone pulls a rabbit out of the hat and got something exiting to say :D
    UngoodAlBQuirkyScotalancode

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    There is a lot of really great people with good insight and opinions on gaming and the Industry as a whole ..

And after all these years i still look forward to checking in each day to see what this community is up to ..
    UngoodcmacqKyleranPo_ggGdemamicheyane
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I still dabble in mmorpg's here and there though nothing seems very long-term anymore.

I just log in for bits here and there. I finally figured out how to get beyond the horrible design of the Minas Tirith quests. Had no idea how to proceed until I saw the horses that led you to various areas. Very poorly designed.

A bit of Star Wars the Old Republic and a bit of Black Desert from time to time.

I'll log into others here and there.

But I'm here to discuss games and for the community.

And if a new mmorpg releases I'm more than happy to try it and discuss it.
    UngoodAlBQuirkyPo_ggcheyane
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Mostly because this is the only place where you can talk about MMO's and online games in general. 

It usually starts with a fairly thought provoking article or news story and then the open forum to discuss it. 

No other site really has that.. at least at the same quality. IGN's comments are total crap, and they are tough to follow with an awful community in general. Massively convos never really take off at all. 

I've come here all this time just as much for you guys as I have for the news and articles. 
    Ungood[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyPo_ggcheyaneYashaXMensurMendel

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Because here users can create their own topics, like you just did, unlike most other game coverage sites where only the staff creates topics - i.e. articles.

I know that reddit is the new replacement for the ancient BBS-style open forums but I still like this format better.
    UngoodmaskedweaselSovrathKyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyPo_ggScotcheyaneAbscissa15and 4 others.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    What is it that makes you continue to frequent the MMORPG.com forums?  Are you still involved in classic MMOs?  Interested in the current batch that's being developed?  Hopeful for a future resurgence of the genre?  Some other reason?
    Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I play some older MMO's, I play some Newer, I am always looking for something new and kick ass.

Why else would I be on an MMO forum if I did love MMO's. I mean, no one in their right might would be on a Knitting Forum if they don't like knitting, so it would seem silly to be on a MMO forum if you don't like MMO's.

Just feels.

YMMV.
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyalancode
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited January 2021
    Habit mostly.  I used to come here and discuss new games. . things like Xsyon were exciting.  I hated making forum accounts for each game and preferred to discuss things here.

Now I mostly come to get some news as I am still interested in development.    I do come less and less and have considered deleting my account to end the pain.  Recently there have been some good articles though and I am just not ready to let go. . of the games. . . .my hope to actually have more time to play them. . and the forum.
    KyleranUngoodAlBQuirky

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    I come here because I love hot babes and video games.  If you haven't mentioned your gender, I just assume you're a hot babe ;)

The ones who bicker the most are probably the hottest... always high maintenance  :D
    SovrathmaskedweaselcmacqKyleranUngood[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScotcheyaneWhiteLanternand 2 others.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Also.. I want to clear something up, even the people that stopped playing MMO's, might still love the hobby, and I totally respect that.

Like for example, I used play WH40K, and I loved the hobby, the painting, modeling, all of that, and now, after several moves, job changes, and losing all my gaming stuff, I have stopped playing miniature games, but I still read the boards, because I still have a passion for the hobby.

So, I respect fellow MMO players that are in the same boat as that.
    maskedweaselSovrathAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I have found alot of games here...MMOs and non MMOs....I respect the opinions of ganers like us more than I do the opinions of streamers, youtubers, and others that are bought by game companies.
    SovrathUngood[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    and if I be honest the community here is good. I read literate well thought out comments in some of the threads. Now if we could @Wizardy to use spaces after his punctuation I'd be happy  ;)
    UngoodAlBQuirkyGdemami
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    To ensure that PvPrs keeps their status as best all around mmorpg players.
    Ungood[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScotcheyane
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I come here because I love hot babes and video games.  If you haven't mentioned your gender, I just assume you're a hot babe ;)

The ones who bicker the most are probably the hottest... always high maintenance  :D
    Funny you say this, me too !!

I always say, If I were a Judge I would always let hot babes out of jail no matter what they did..... We don't have enough.  I also assume your all hot until proven different. 
    maskedweaselUngoodAlBQuirkyTwistedSister77Scotcheyane
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited January 2021
    Is it not obvious? To  >:) of course, why else?

;)
    maskedweaselUngood[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyTwistedSister77cheyaneWhiteLanternTheocritus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited January 2021
    In no particular order...

1) Habit. A cup of coffee, a cigarette, and reading these boards is how I wake up :)

2) Community. I like it here. It's comfy. It's got a great mix of differing opinions and even some facts here and there.

3) I play MMOs very seldom. Few excite me anymore. But I do enjoy many of the brainstorms.

I just did, awhile back, another 4 month stint in WoW, drawn in by the classic server. The classic server lasted less than 1 month and then I tried my old level 80 characters and got frustrated with it all. If an MMO taps my fancy, I'll boot up Wizard101 for a little while.

I have changed since 2005, when I signed on here. So has the genre and other players, as well as technology. What I envisioned back then is so far from what actually happened.

So I'll post for laughs or play devil's advocate, or even present another way of seeing things. I actually do learn things here :)
    [Deleted User]Po_ggKylerancheyaneTheocritusUngoodalancode

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Great one, Mighty!  A bit late to the party, everything was said above :) 

-What is it that makes you continue to frequent the MMORPG.com forums?
    Old habits die hard, it's kinda a day-starter routine of mine since the golden years, to check in and scroll through the recent threads.
    Also, as Iselin said, it's a forum, not a mere comment section under lame articles, let alone reddit... it offers better conversations, better quality overall. I might be old-fashioned, but I find this format the best, and not too many left in general. For MMORPGs in particular, this is the only one.

-Are you still involved in classic MMOs? 
    Yep, as I jokingly used to say, my (frequently played) "youngest" MMORPG  is 11 years old (CO). Sometimes I pop in to more recent ones, DCUO is in plan now with the anniversary, it turned 10 this year. (Hey, that's more recent, 10 < 11 :) )

-Interested in the current batch that's being developed?
    Nope. When my main games will close (or nerfed / patched / watered down to unenjoyable, "new-ish" mess), I'll probably just go back to single player games for good.

-Hopeful for a future resurgence of the genre?
    Nope. Not gonna happen, there's no demand for it, besides our nostalgia, but we're getting older. The new "gamers" don't want this kinda gameplay.
    AlBQuirkycheyane[Deleted User]Ungood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    AlBQuirky said:

So I'll post for laughs or play devil's advocate, or even present another way of seeing things. I actually do learn things here :)
    Right, like I said, to  >:) , why else?

B) 
    cheyaneAlBQuirkyUngood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TablixTablix Member UncommonPosts: 51
    General gaming discussion, I am more of a reader than a contributor.  I actually think almost all  "reviews" are adverts so skim read them and if interested look for more details elsewhere.  

The main source of fun is the weekly Star Citizen weekly update/advert, the comments are always a fun read :D
    [Deleted User]GdemamiScotAlBQuirky
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Forum discussion, mainly.
    AlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2021
    I enjoy reading what some of the members here post and I value their opinions. I think after so many years you have an inkling of the type of person behind the posts. Of course I could be completely wrong but I can often guess correctly how someone might react to a topic. It is also a pleasure to read some of the opinions especially those who make an effort to write and share their opinions with care. I respond to them with equal care. We are old friends who never met.
    Scot[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyUngoodPo_gg
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,959
    edited January 2021
    Well you guys keep way more of an eye on what's coming out MMO wise than I do, so if something good does come along you are going to spot it way before me. Just today I nabbed some upcoming game (not MMO) suggestions from another thread, well worth today's visit.

Also to echo Cheyane's comments, I do know many of you on here well, some of you have been here like me since 2003, that's longer than any moronic social media platform has existed. Now some may question "knowing people" if it is just online, but youngsters regularly talk of knowing people through social media, I went to a younger friends birthday party once and some of the people there were friends he had never met before who were SM "friends"! To me your forum posts tell me more about you than pictures of your cat or car. In a couple of years I will be celebrating 20 years on here with you all.

[Deleted User]cheyaneKyleranAlBQuirkyUngoodPo_gg
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Habit but mainly the people here. The topics the posters here create are often interesting. Old base of members that share my interest and views also helps. Comfortable space to express my views with less worry it will be ridiculed. Other sites have increased traffic but with it come the nasty ones too that seem to enjoy driving people away. I might visit them but seldom feel comfortable enough to share my views.
    AmatheScotAlBQuirkyMendelUngoodPo_gg

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Forum pvp.
    KyleranAlBQuirky[Deleted User]UngoodiixviiiixLinif

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil