Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

German retailer sold about 10k Ryzen 5000 series CPUs in December

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
The German retailer mindfactory.de publishes the amounts of various parts that they sold, which can give us some idea of how many parts are showing up.  Here's WCCFtech's write-up on their December CPU numbers:

https://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-5000-ryzen-3000zen-3-zen-2-desktop-cpus-demolish-all-sales-records/

What's interesting to me is that, while there is still a shortage of Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, quite a lot of them are showing up at retail--and then immediately selling out.  One retailer in Germany sold just shy of 10k of the CPUs in one month, all by themselves.  For comparison, they sold more Ryzen 5000 series CPUs that month than they did of all Intel CPUs combined.  So this is hardly a paper launch, nor even all that soft of a launch.  It actually is what vendors usually claim when they do a soft launch:  incredibly high demand.

Retailers that sell individual CPUs cater to the enthusiast market, of course, which is only a small subset of all desktop CPUs.  But this would point toward the number of Ryzen 5000 series CPUs shipped so far at least being well into the hundreds of thousands, and possibly in the millions.  This is nothing like the Radeon RX 6000 series, where barely any of the GPUs actually exist yet.  It is what I've been saying for months:  AMD has prioritized production of Zen 3 CPUs over GPUs on their limited TSMC 7 nm node capacity.
[Deleted User]Asm0deus

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,408
    edited January 2021
    Interesting information however I wonder how other retailers are doing in Germany? 

I somehow highly doubt that this amount of sales is the norm so as such I think it would not be ideal to speculate on sales according to the sales of one place like this.

Take for example places here in Canada and also places in the USA where they have sold no where near that amount of cpu's.

I did however get my 5800x a few days before xmas but some people that ordered before me at the same place are still waiting for their 5600x, 5900 and 5950's.

Hell amazon.ca has not sold one 5k cpu yet though I get the feeling AMD is prioritizing distribution to other places first.

Another odd thing is I have noticed lots of places at least in my country are not doing regular online sales and instead pushing "in person" sales or "pick up at store" sales

If you want a chance at one of the 5k cpu's you will need to set up distil.io browser add on to bot check the various sites for you cause it will sell out so fast that even didling during check out you can miss it.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    remsleep said:
    Quizzical said:
    The German retailer mindfactory.de publishes the amounts of various parts that they sold, which can give us some idea of how many parts are showing up.  Here's WCCFtech's write-up on their December CPU numbers:

https://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-5000-ryzen-3000zen-3-zen-2-desktop-cpus-demolish-all-sales-records/

What's interesting to me is that, while there is still a shortage of Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, quite a lot of them are showing up at retail--and then immediately selling out.  One retailer in Germany sold just shy of 10k of the CPUs in one month, all by themselves.  For comparison, they sold more Ryzen 5000 series CPUs that month than they did of all Intel CPUs combined.  So this is hardly a paper launch, nor even all that soft of a launch.  It actually is what vendors usually claim when they do a soft launch:  incredibly high demand.

Retailers that sell individual CPUs cater to the enthusiast market, of course, which is only a small subset of all desktop CPUs.  But this would point toward the number of Ryzen 5000 series CPUs shipped so far at least being well into the hundreds of thousands, and possibly in the millions.  This is nothing like the Radeon RX 6000 series, where barely any of the GPUs actually exist yet.  It is what I've been saying for months:  AMD has prioritized production of Zen 3 CPUs over GPUs on their limited TSMC 7 nm node capacity.

I still can't buy an AMD Ryzen 5600x from Amazon, Newegg nor Microcenter in US.

So while it's nice that others are selling them - sucks for the rest of us who still can't find it readily available.

Been trying throught Nov and Dec and so far beginning of Jan

If a lot of the CPUs have been sold to other people who were competing with you to buy them, then those people aren't still competing with you.  That means you're closer to finding one in stock than you would be if it were a very soft launch with barely any CPUs sold yet.
    [Deleted User]mmolou
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Why are so many upgrading,to play what LOL...Diablo...Wow...,was the population of gamers full of ancient hardware with so many waiting forever to upgrade all at once?

I kind of just look at the netire market and see a lot of wasted spending,people have gone full mad addiction on gaming and peripherals.Now with Covid so bad and seemingly here in Canada not getting any better,i suspect more stay homes gaming.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Scalpers ... I see 5000 series CPUs pop up occasionally, only to be bought out nearly instantly.

Same with PS5s and nVidia GPUs.

so those things are coming, they are just going faster than they come in. I have no problem finding inventory on eBay though...

I don’t see nearly as many XB or AMD GPUs floating though. Those are rare beasts - and I’d second the paper launch sentiment on those products.
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    remsleep said:
    Wizardry said:
    Why are so many upgrading,to play what LOL...Diablo...Wow...,was the population of gamers full of ancient hardware with so many waiting forever to upgrade all at once?

Not upgrading - building a new PC for my kids - was supposed to be a xmas present - guess what - the worst fucking time in history to build a PC - there's nothing available - and I am not kidding

Microcenter - didn't have a single 3000 series card, zero 2000 series card - not even 1660s - the only card they had was a 1050TI... yeah, not even a shitty 3GB 1060 - nope, not a 1070 or 1080.. nope

There were no 580, no 570s - like nothing from AMD

Think about that for a second - here we are in 2020 and the only card I could buy was from 2016.

What the actual fuck?

They had plenty of motherboards - so that's good - but without a CPU and a GPU kind of pointless isn't it?
    The explanation is on my other thread.  The Ethereum miners are buying all the decent GPUs again.  Most of the GeForce 1000 series has long been discontinued, which is why they're gone.
    [Deleted User]
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,408
    edited January 2021
    remsleep said:
    Asm0deus said:

If you want a chance at one of the 5k cpu's you will need to set up distil.io browser add on to bot check the various sites for you cause it will sell out so fast that even didling during check out you can miss it.

This is why I have been going to places like Microcenter that does only "in-person" pickup

Still it's been impossible to find a 5600X since November

Yeah you have to B/O, I had distill set up just to be able to BO online, or find a place that will let you walk in to BO even back in Nov when I BO my 5800x on, nov 27 I think it was, I still waited for awhile and got the cpu on dec 23.  I BO from memex online for shipping to my home if I had been near one of their locations I could have gotten it maybe a few days or a week earlier.

That's for the 5800x though which was widely easier to get due to not being as popular due to it's poor price point which means means most want a 5600x or hop up to the 5900x which have much longer BO lists but yeah I totally get your sentiment on all this.

@Wizardy Some of us are upgrading because we do not have much of a choice... I mean i was using a 10 year old system which frankly was starting to struggle and was OCed from 2.66ghz to 4ghz for the last 10 years.

Not all of us are upgrading just to have the newest bling and cause we have money to burn.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    remsleep said:
    Ridelynn said:

so those things are coming, they are just going faster than they come in. I have no problem finding inventory on eBay though...

Ebay doesn't count at all because

1. The prices are absurd

2. Too many scams where you get a box with the wrong card or just an empty box with a brick of a piece of wood

3. Supporting scalpers is worse than cancer

Yeah - for me ebay is never an option
    I can’t agree more. Doesn’t change the facts though. The parts exist for those, it isn’t a paper launch because there is no product. It’s a crappy launch because scalpers are making a profit.
    [Deleted User]
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    remsleep said:
    This is why I have been going to places like Microcenter that does only "in-person" pickup

Still it's been impossible to find a 5600X since November

Love Microcenter, but the only one near where I currently live is a state away.  A state which happened to close to outsiders like two days before they put the 9700k on sale for $199.  I love my 9600k, but I'll always wonder what could have been... *sniff*