Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Genshin Impact's Update 1.2 Proves Why It's Popular in Spite of Gacha and Performance Hiccups | MMOR

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:

Aeander said:

Scot said:

"If a game has an extremely addicting predatory monetization system, it is rarely, if ever, a good game. Genshin Impact is an exception to the rule"

no it's not

if it's predatory, it's bad by design

good games don't prey and abuse people in the sake of profit

That's not true though. I've been playing Genshin and haven't been forced to buy anything. The game is still good. 

But I could be one of those people that spends thousands on trying to roll all the best of everything. The monetization system for characters and special weapons sucks. The game is fun though and as long as you play enough you can get a decent amount of characters to build a strong roster.

This is exactly what players said about F2P, that revenue model has hardly led MMORPG's to new heights, in fact it is a major factor in the decline of quality in the genre as a whole.

Aeander said:

"If a game has an extremely addicting predatory monetization system, it is rarely, if ever, a good game. Genshin Impact is an exception to the rule"

no it's not

Subscription MMOs are typically designed with elongated grind curves with the intent of keeping you playing and subscribed for as long as possible. Ergo, subscription MMOs are predatory, and therefore bad games by your definition.

Subscription is not predatory, they are designed with a lot of content, that's not grind. You now play GI ergo you say any old tosh to support it, sorry Aeander but there it is.

Actually, I've maintained a consistent and vocal anti-p2p subscription stance for years. Sorry you don't have a good memory.

I don't like paying upfront for the promise of content. Content that they may or may not deliver that month or even that quarter.

I don't like how said content that you paid for is usually still double-dipped behind an expansion paywall.

I don't like any model that gives an unequal value based on how much free time you have to allot to it (also, hello battle passes).

And now they don't even protect you from the microtransactions you're so scared of. Thanks, Blizzard.

I do remember you questioning the financial model before, that's why I have been surprised at this turn around. Where I differ from you in what you last said is I see nothing wrong with paying for content upfront or games giving you more for spending more time in them. Obviously if the content is poor there are questions, otherwise no issue. Overall I had a hard time working out how you expect gaming companies to make money. For me subscription, paid new content and cosmetics are fine, so the right sort of microtransactions are welcomed.
    I have only ever been a proponent of buy to play and cosmetic/convenience microtransactions. I define pay to win as giving one player a statistical advantage over another player of the same level/in the same playing field. Meaning that I do not consider gold/xp boosters to be inherently pay to win devoid of individual game context.

That doesn't mean that I will not play, or even necessarily spend on games that deviate from that, because ultimately one likes what they like. But it does mean that such is what I would encourage in the industry. It's the difference between praising a business model as part of what makes a game great and playing a game despite its business model.
    I see where you are coming from now, indeed I have done something similar myself. When I played Terra it was F2P though I don't support that model, in fact it is the only F2P MMO I can remember playing. The guild was not interested in it in the long run, but before that I decided to buy a mount because I had a decent enough time, though I bought nothing else. But apart from that I don't support F2P and don't play them, this is not just due to being against the financial model, I don't think I will get a game as good as one that is B2P, sub etc. Likewise in BDO I bought a costume because it was decent enough, but there I left once I realised how bad the item upgrade system was.

Apart from those two instances though I avoid these dubious business models at all cost, what interests me is how many players are in a like position to yourself. How many players do we have playing MMOs that they would prefer to have a different model?
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Scot said:
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:

Aeander said:

Scot said:

no it's not

That's not true though. I've been playing Genshin and haven't been forced to buy anything. The game is still good. 

But I could be one of those people that spends thousands on trying to roll all the best of everything. The monetization system for characters and special weapons sucks. The game is fun though and as long as you play enough you can get a decent amount of characters to build a strong roster.

This is exactly what players said about F2P, that revenue model has hardly led MMORPG's to new heights, in fact it is a major factor in the decline of quality in the genre as a whole.

Aeander said:

no it's not

Subscription MMOs are typically designed with elongated grind curves with the intent of keeping you playing and subscribed for as long as possible. Ergo, subscription MMOs are predatory, and therefore bad games by your definition.

Subscription is not predatory, they are designed with a lot of content, that's not grind. You now play GI ergo you say any old tosh to support it, sorry Aeander but there it is.

Actually, I've maintained a consistent and vocal anti-p2p subscription stance for years. Sorry you don't have a good memory.

I don't like paying upfront for the promise of content. Content that they may or may not deliver that month or even that quarter.

I don't like how said content that you paid for is usually still double-dipped behind an expansion paywall.

I don't like any model that gives an unequal value based on how much free time you have to allot to it (also, hello battle passes).

And now they don't even protect you from the microtransactions you're so scared of. Thanks, Blizzard.

I do remember you questioning the financial model before, that's why I have been surprised at this turn around. Where I differ from you in what you last said is I see nothing wrong with paying for content upfront or games giving you more for spending more time in them. Obviously if the content is poor there are questions, otherwise no issue. Overall I had a hard time working out how you expect gaming companies to make money. For me subscription, paid new content and cosmetics are fine, so the right sort of microtransactions are welcomed.
    I have only ever been a proponent of buy to play and cosmetic/convenience microtransactions. I define pay to win as giving one player a statistical advantage over another player of the same level/in the same playing field. Meaning that I do not consider gold/xp boosters to be inherently pay to win devoid of individual game context.

That doesn't mean that I will not play, or even necessarily spend on games that deviate from that, because ultimately one likes what they like. But it does mean that such is what I would encourage in the industry. It's the difference between praising a business model as part of what makes a game great and playing a game despite its business model.
    Apart from those two instances though I avoid these dubious business models at all cost, what interests me is how many players are in a like position to yourself. How many players do we have playing MMOs that they would prefer to have a different model?
    Probably a lot of players, because our genre is in a terrible state and we can't afford to be too picky. If say, Ashes of Creation came out with its ideas properly implemented, then hell yeah, I'd subscribe - that sounds awesome.
    Scot
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:

Probably a lot of players, because our genre is in a terrible state and we can't afford to be too picky. If say, Ashes of Creation came out with its ideas properly implemented, then hell yeah, I'd subscribe - that sounds awesome.
    I don't know if our genre is in that terrible of a state. We have a lot of MMO's on the horizon. My biggest issue is committing to anything right now.

Genshin is easy to commit to as long as you are resolved not to spend money.

If you have money to throw away, then by all means, I guess make bad life decisions, but for most of us, paying 15 or so and just playing the game is good enough. 

I feel like 2021 will be a good year for MMO's. We may not see a bunch of them released but we may see a few tests.

The problem is everyone here seems to hate everything new and hate everything old unless it's that 1 game they have nostalgia about - except they can't play it anymore because of whatever reason. 

Kyleran

• metarealmetareal Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited December 2020

Aeander said:

What I will say is that I wish gaming offered more non-microtransaction-based gacha experiences. Games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 where those random character rewards are just a free part of the game's natural reward system. The experience of RNG rewards in such a tangible form is core to gaming enjoyment, while monetizing it is cynnical.

Agreed! I always hated loot boxes and RNG but enjoy the gatcha of Genshin... so weird...
    I love the fact I can't have everything (the BP is my max limit); my game is unique to me, no cookies cutters on Youtube, I have to make what I have work, every time i pull a new character it's a big excitement, like if I'm pulling a new game, unlike adding stats like in Diablo, Destiny and other looters.

Also Genshin Impact community is... let's say big?
    We knew it had the biggest Discord server of all time, it also have the most active gaming community on reddit (25k comments/ day, 7th overall subreddit),
    https://subredditstats.com/r/Genshin_Impact

I suspect Blizzard, Bungie, etc will copy from the little Chinese from Shanghai in the future.
    Ungood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    metareal said:

Aeander said:

What I will say is that I wish gaming offered more non-microtransaction-based gacha experiences. Games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 where those random character rewards are just a free part of the game's natural reward system. The experience of RNG rewards in such a tangible form is core to gaming enjoyment, while monetizing it is cynnical.

Agreed! I always hated loot boxes and RNG but enjoy the gatcha of Genshin... so weird...
    I love the fact I can't have everything (the BP is my max limit); my game is unique to me, no cookies cutters on Youtube, I have to make what I have work, every time i pull a new character it's a big excitement, like if I'm pulling a new game, unlike adding stats like in Diablo, Destiny and other looters.

Also Genshin Impact community is... let's say big?
    We knew it had the biggest Discord server of all time, it also have the most active gaming community on reddit (25k comments/ day, 7th overall subreddit),
    https://subredditstats.com/r/Genshin_Impact

I suspect Blizzard, Bungie, etc will copy from the little Chinese from Shanghai in the future.
    Yep, which means it really is the end as we know it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    I play those phone games, where you collect hero's from daily draws, or buy additional draws to get more/better hero's.

I enjoy it as a simple phone game, where I build my stable, upgrade as I can, and then send off to battle, for more loot and more draws to get better hero's.. you get the idea.

Anyway, I wager over the time I have played, which has been about 2 years, I have spent around $150 to $200, on the game, I'm not really sure, but I know I get suckered into their 2.99 packs, and I am on the can thinking "Eh.. what the hell.. I get a bonus free spin"

But if they did this with an MMO.. well.. I am not sure what it would take for me to put up with that.. but whatever it is.. has not transpired yet.
    maskedweasel
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Aeander said:
    Iselin said:
    I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole even without the gacha. The lolis are enough of a put-off for me.
    At least they have the decency to not pedo-pander (yet) unlike so many other Asian games. They're all dressed really conservatively and kept in character for people who like cute things. Which is more than I can say for TERA, for example.
    Yes I agree, The lolis are not over-sexualized to cater to the pedos in Genshin. But I think I'm just too old and never got into any form of anime.

Some people find WoW's cartoon graphics a turn off. It's not my favorite art style in games either but I can tolerate it there... just (never, ever rolled a Gnome though :)) The cute little girl characters, sexualized or not, are just a turn off for me. It's over my tolerance line.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    edited December 2020
    Iselin said:
    Aeander said:
    Iselin said:
    I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole even without the gacha. The lolis are enough of a put-off for me.
    At least they have the decency to not pedo-pander (yet) unlike so many other Asian games. They're all dressed really conservatively and kept in character for people who like cute things. Which is more than I can say for TERA, for example.
    Yes I agree, The lolis are not over-sexualized to cater to the pedos in Genshin. But I think I'm just too old and never got into any form of anime.

Some people find WoW's cartoon graphics a turn off. It's not my favorite art style in games either but I can tolerate it there... just (never, ever rolled a Gnome though :)) The cute little girl characters, sexualized or not, are just a turn off for me. It's over my tolerance line.
    I became an anime fan in my early twenties, and WoW's cartoony graphics did make me question the guild that we were going to move into that game. I still have issues with any game which is too cartoony today. But if the art style is interesting artistic (same for anime it has to be good anime) I am fine with it. Lolis are hardly an essential anime feature, in fact it only seems in Eastern MMOs that they are "essential". They would not put me off a MMO but I really wish they were not there.
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    I'm a sheep. I typically follow the herd to whichever game is popular at the time. Genshin Impact was no exception, though I tried it at the time because it was new and I was bored, popularity soon followed.

I have a problem with games that offer that shot of endorphins from buying packs/loot boxes/chests like online card games (Hearthstone and MTG, dark times). Genshin Impact was a severe temptation. Had I bought that first shot, I'd have spent vastly more soon after. The gameplay is what freed me.

The gameplay was fun and enticing for the first 10-ish hours I got out of it. But it had that Breath of the Wilds problem (For me) that even with exploration there wasn't much reward (By reward I mean story, activity, interesting goodies) but everyone's experience is different.

I've found F2P games just to be wolves in sheep's clothing. They lure you in with the keyword free then herd you into a corner with two options of escape. Microtransactions or stop playing. The choice should be simple, but if you really enjoy the game and you have money, the choice is really hard (At least, for me).

Genshin is a perfect storm of predatory and fun for a lot of people. Zelda: Breath of the Wilds was a very good game to emulate given its popularity. Throw in the gambling and I can understand its appeal.
    maskedweaselKyleran
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Got Albedo on 1st try with a free wish but I have to get it again. It's a geo class so not really a priority to improve it. It's like a f2p game with it's shop except it's actually a good game. That gay ice dude is my main dpser for now. For free you can probably get 1 character you like if your lucky and adventure rank in the 40s before noticing the requirement for Gacha. That's about 20ish hours give or take probably more for $0.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    If the game is on Google Play store, I wonder if they are (Disclosing Loot Box Odds) in the game itself?

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/10286120?hl=en&visit_id=637450245134328127-4266037799&rd=3

Apps offering mechanisms to receive randomized virtual items from a purchase (i.e. "loot boxes") must clearly disclose the odds of receiving those items in advance of purchase.

Net Ease for example an app called Life After likes to run Facebook ad's with Good Lootbox odds for certain costumes, then a month later they will run an event everyone likes to play like Resident Evil because the characters costumes are popular and change the odds to 1%, while the developers lie to you in a support ticket and tell you all odds are (Totally Random) (Google Play) refuse to remove the APP, or possible multiple apps from the store for (Fraud) when developers lie in support tickets with evidence provided.

We really need Lootbox Laws in West to prevent developers from doing this to people let alone kids under 18.

Also Google claims to be innocent because they take 30% or $30 from every $100 USD, but in reality they are the ones who made the policy but refuse to enforce it on their own store thus they are providing app downloads to fraud developers, (Not saying all developers or games are this bad), but some are, and some apps do not disclose odds not sure if Genshin is one of those as I only play on PC.
    Ungood
    edited December 2020
    Renoaku said:
    If the game is on Google Play store, I wonder if they are (Disclosing Loot Box Odds) in the game itself?

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/10286120?hl=en&visit_id=637450245134328127-4266037799&rd=3

Apps offering mechanisms to receive randomized virtual items from a purchase (i.e. "loot boxes") must clearly disclose the odds of receiving those items in advance of purchase.

Net Ease for example an app called Life After likes to run Facebook ad's with Good Lootbox odds for certain costumes, then a month later they will run an event everyone likes to play like Resident Evil because the characters costumes are popular and change the odds to 1%, while the developers lie to you in a support ticket and tell you all odds are (Totally Random) (Google Play) refuse to remove the APP, or possible multiple apps from the store for (Fraud) when developers lie in support tickets with evidence provided.

We really need Lootbox Laws in West to prevent developers from doing this to people let alone kids under 18.

Also Google claims to be innocent because they take 30% or $30 from every $100 USD, but in reality they are the ones who made the policy but refuse to enforce it on their own store thus they are providing app downloads to fraud developers, (Not saying all developers or games are this bad), but some are, and some apps do not disclose odds not sure if Genshin is one of those as I only play on PC.
    FYI, they do disclose odds ingame, as is required by Chinese law.

The odds are 0.6% per roll for a 5 star character, with a guarantee at 90 rolls and a guaranteed focus character every 2nd 5 star roll. This "pity mechanic" also carries over from one focus banner to another - which is not typical of gacha games.

What they do not disclose is that their disclosed consolidated rates (which include pity) are not mathematically possible at an even 0.6% for every roll. What the community has found is that the difference is the result of "soft pity" at rolls 76 and up, drastically increasing your chances of a 5 star roll before the 90 pity. Most 5 stars are rolled between 76-80 pulls. Why that particular mechanic is not mentioned is beyond me, as it is to the player's benefit in most situations.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    maskedweasel
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited December 2020
    Aeander said:
    Renoaku said:

The odds are 0.6% per roll for a 5 star character, with a guarantee at 90 rolls and a guaranteed focus character every 2nd 5 star roll. This "pity mechanic" also carries over from one focus banner to another - which is not typical of gacha games.

What they do not disclose is that their disclosed consolidated rates (which include pity) are not mathematically possible at an even 0.6% for every roll. What the community has found is that the difference is the result of "soft pity" at rolls 76 and up, drastically increasing your chances of a 5 star roll before the 90 pity. Most 5 stars are rolled between 76-80 pulls. Why that particular mechanic is not mentioned is beyond me, as it is to the player's benefit in most situations.
    Really is this in Genshin impact because I never saw it on the PC version, never played the Mobile?

Though I know for certain some other apps don't disclose odds at all o.O?

Though since PC is a different version it wouldn't have to Follow Google Play rules unless using them as a payment processor for PC version.

This app on the play store for example they lie to people and claim odds are (Totally Random) which imply's if you stick your hand in a color box with 4 different collor box it's totally random each draw has a 25% chance of getting an item you want.

https://imgur.com/a/PZUOsSD
    Renoaku said:
    Aeander said:
    Renoaku said:

Really is this in Genshin impact because I never saw it on the PC version, never played the Mobile?

Though I know for certain some other apps don't disclose odds at all o.O?

Though since PC is a different version it wouldn't have to Follow Google Play rules unless using them as a payment processor for PC version.
    From the wish screen, hit the Details button. It explains the odds in detail.

I play on PS4.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Akulas said:
    Got Albedo on 1st try with a free wish but I have to get it again. It's a geo class so not really a priority to improve it. It's like a f2p game with it's shop except it's actually a good game. That gay ice dude is my main dpser for now. For free you can probably get 1 character you like if your lucky and adventure rank in the 40s before noticing the requirement for Gacha. That's about 20ish hours give or take probably more for $0.
    20 hours of fun is a rounding error, I measure mine in minimal units of 100.

Anything less is a waste of time, at least for me.
    WhiteLanternUngoodAkulasAeander

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Akulas said:

eh 20 hours to get to level 40+ seems really low. I've been playing probably around 75+ hours and I've only gotten to the mid 40s. If you only do dailies and events, spread out over a lot of months you probably could boil it down to about 30 hours or so to get to your 40s. Hard to say when you're playing like 3 - 10 minutes a day for several weeks. 

Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Akulas said:

eh 20 hours to get to level 40+ seems really low. I've been playing probably around 75+ hours and I've only gotten to the mid 40s. If you only do dailies and events, spread out over a lot of months you probably could boil it down to about 30 hours or so to get to your 40s. Hard to say when you're playing like 3 - 10 minutes a day for several weeks. 

Are play sessions only 3 - 10 minutes?
    I mean, if you're logging on for only dailies, probably. It's the biggest, most consistent xp to time investment gain. Roughly 1000 xp. I don't even think using all your resin gains that much. Bosses would give about 800xp if you used all your resin, with the exception of weekly bosses.

If all you did was dailies to level up between content updates, I couldn't see it taking more than 10 minutes.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Kyleran said:
    Yeah, I told them they were both idiots (my exact words, you can understand why I have few friends) for doing so as it will only encourage more of this behavior from Bethesda in the future, but they just shrugged as they don't care to try and find gaming hills to die vs me who hasn't met a futile battle I wasn't ready to crusade for. ;)
    Perhaps they are instead wise such that they know their purchases made or not will have no impact on Bethesda's future actions as the company has ample encouragement to maintain them from others regardless.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    I hate to say this, but, the more you all talk about this Genshin Impact, the less I want to play it, and I think that is not how game discussions should go. Normally, the more someone talks about a game they are playing or invested in, the more the people around them should want to play it, not the other way around, where the more I hear about this game the less I am inclined to even try it.
    KyleranScot
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    I hate to say this, but, the more you all talk about this Genshin Impact, the less I want to play it, and I think that is not how game discussions should go. Normally, the more someone talks about a game they are playing or invested in, the more the people around them should want to play it, not the other way around, where the more I hear about this game the less I am inclined to even try it.
    I think that's fair to a degree. 

I understand that too, because sometimes I think I like a game based on the description, but when people are actually explaining it, it's a big turn off. 

Genshin is a game that, if you don't understand it from the jump, it could turn out to be both frustrating and financially damaging. 

But if you know what it is and understand it, and play it rather than trying to "beat it" by collecting and maxing out everything immediately, it's a fantastic game.

Ungood said:
    I think that's fair to a degree. 

I understand that too, because sometimes I think I like a game based on the description, but when people are actually explaining it, it's a big turn off. 

Genshin is a game that, if you don't understand it from the jump, it could turn out to be both frustrating and financially damaging. 

But if you know what it is and understand it, and play it rather than trying to "beat it" by collecting and maxing out everything immediately, it's a fantastic game.
    I for one like it because it's basically BotW with most of the survival bullshit replaced with RPG bullshit - and that's way more fun.
    maskedweasel