Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raph Koster's game status

2»

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Torval said:
    Raph has arguably failed at a few projects and attempts so I'm not sure where idea that he thinks he's some design god comes from.

I think he has ideas and ambitions that he wants to express and create and I think that is what differentiates him from many of his peers. I get the impression from reading his blog and occasional articles that he isn't trying to recreate the past. He is not trying to recreate Dark Age or Ultima Online or Asheron's Call or any of the many other sequels. He seems to have a vision for social interactivity in gaming and pushing design boundaries.

We'll see though. Like I said some of his previous ambitions didn't turn out as hoped. This may not either, but I'm still very interested to see what he tries.
    Raph doesn't claim to be a "design god." Where did you get that idea from? 

But he has literally written the book, and done the studies that lead to the logical conclusions of what fun is, and how to achieve social connectivity inside a game world. 

You're right in that it won't be (anything)2. 
    It'll be an attempt to move the goal posts in "massively multiplayer online role playing" games based on players being in a world. 
    Where things should have gone all along.

Sure it can fail. New enterprise efforts are always subject to risks from all angles. 
    At least this one won't be because of it being more of the same old tired design. 

"Fun" as Raph sees it. I agree with many of his ideas, disagree with many others. One person can NOT make one definition of "fun for everyone."

His title of "Design God" is not self-proclaimed, but rather "laid upon" by fans.
    It's not "one definition" of fun. I don't think I said that. 
    It's taking all the things various gamers think is fun and putting it all in one game. 

I'm sure "all" is an overstatement. Some things just don't fit with others. 
    "Wide Open PvP", classic example. 
    I see one of Raph's people has "Arena" design experience, BTW. What that may mean is uncertain. But with Raph's background and thinking, and statements too, I'm expecting a combination of Guild Warfare (with alliances) and "Floating Arena Wars", if that makes sense. At least that sounds like a good PvP way to go to me. 
    What I bolded/italicized in your other post was "inferring a singular fun."

"He wrote the book on fun."

I really hope Raph does get another game going. I hope it succeeds. I just don't "wet my pants" simply because it is Raph.
    Haha, fair enough. 
    I think that's actually the best way to approach anything, anyways. 

But just my opinion, as I loved the worldly part of UO, and all that Raph has said about game design, I'm seeing him as the only hope for a game I want to play. 
    Although there have been a few others who seem to have a clue on this, but others always seem to get derailed with the perspective that you need level grind to make players happy, which I don't believe at all. 

People knock MetaPlace, but I did test that. And a great game could have been made using that, in my opinion. I didn't have the coding skills though. 

On the side, Raph was using an in-game session to show off MetaPlace to some prospective investors or other VIPs of some sort. And he was talking about how players can be "social." 
    So, with the memory of Lord British being killed, and a gleam in me eye, I stepped forward and threw a tomato at Raph's character and splashed him with it's plump juices. 
    Raph laughed and said "perfect", referring to my impeccable timing.  LOL
    That was a good day.  ;)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]AlBQuirkycameltosis

Once upon a time....

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Torval said:

I really hope Raph does get another game going. I hope it succeeds. I just don't "wet my pants" simply because it is Raph.
    Haha, fair enough. 

But just my opinion, as I loved the worldly part of UO, and all that Raph has said about game design, I'm seeing him as the only hope for a game I want to play. 
    Although there have been a few others who seem to have a clue on this, but others always seem to get derailed with the perspective that you need level grind to make players happy, which I don't believe at all. 

People knock MetaPlace, but I did test that. And a great game could have been made using that, in my opinion. I didn't have the coding skills though. 

On the side, Raph was using an in-game session to show off MetaPlace to some prospective investors or other VIPs of some sort. And he was talking about how players can be "social." 
    So, with the memory of Lord British being killed, and a gleam in me eye, I stepped forward and threw a tomato at Raph's character and splashed him with it's plump juices. 
    That was a good day.  ;)

As you know, I'm a big fan of Raph's and I believe he has a hell of a lot to offer the MMO world, one of the few guys who is really thinking about the true potential of massively multiplayer. (i believe mark jacobs to be another one, though he is narrowly focused on mmo combat and crafting and seems to have a trial-and-error approach, whereas raph seems to think a bit more broadly and seems to be backed up by research).

There are only two areas of concern I have about this potential game.

First is experiment vs real game, i.e. a repeat of metaplace. I'm 90% certain he learned his lesson from metaplace and so this new project will not make a repeat of that one, but never the less, it remains a possibility.

The second is the combat. Whilst I get really excited by everything Raph says about building an online community and the potential it offers, at the end of the day im a combat focused player. I like exploring new places so I can find interesting things to kill that are a challenge to me. Raph doesn't exactly have a good pedigree when it comes to depth in combat mechanics, his depth tends to be placed on the meta-game and not in the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Given the action-combat trend, plus Raph's willingness to try to adapt to the current market (whilst still making something he wants to make), I do worry that the combat in his game will end up being pretty shallow and boring like most modern mmorpgs. So, even if the crafting, community, world, social and all other features are amazing, if my primary activity is dull then it's unlikely to hook me.

I'm still excited about this project and I look forwards to seeing what the game will actually be. These are just two of my concerns as of right now. I'm sure the first concern will disappear quite quickly once we start seeing some concrete information. The second concern, well, probably won't know how that pans out until closer to launch many years from now.
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar
    edited January 2021
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Torval said:

Haha, fair enough. 

That was a good day.  ;)

As you know, I'm a big fan of Raph's and I believe he has a hell of a lot to offer the MMO world, one of the few guys who is really thinking about the true potential of massively multiplayer. (i believe mark jacobs to be another one, though he is narrowly focused on mmo combat and crafting and seems to have a trial-and-error approach, whereas raph seems to think a bit more broadly and seems to be backed up by research).

There are only two areas of concern I have about this potential game.

First is experiment vs real game, i.e. a repeat of metaplace. I'm 90% certain he learned his lesson from metaplace and so this new project will not make a repeat of that one, but never the less, it remains a possibility.

The second is the combat. Whilst I get really excited by everything Raph says about building an online community and the potential it offers, at the end of the day im a combat focused player. I like exploring new places so I can find interesting things to kill that are a challenge to me. Raph doesn't exactly have a good pedigree when it comes to depth in combat mechanics, his depth tends to be placed on the meta-game and not in the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Given the action-combat trend, plus Raph's willingness to try to adapt to the current market (whilst still making something he wants to make), I do worry that the combat in his game will end up being pretty shallow and boring like most modern mmorpgs. So, even if the crafting, community, world, social and all other features are amazing, if my primary activity is dull then it's unlikely to hook me.

I'm still excited about this project and I look forwards to seeing what the game will actually be. These are just two of my concerns as of right now. I'm sure the first concern will disappear quite quickly once we start seeing some concrete information. The second concern, well, probably won't know how that pans out until closer to launch many years from now.
    I've got to say though, that I thought UO's combat was very exciting in the same way as other good combat games. 

It was narrower in choices, but that was expected because of UO's relatively very low production funds and the early development of the game. 

But what it had down to a tee was strategy and timing. 
    I'm not talking about the use of potions, although that had the basic elements in it. 
    There was also the use of poison, where you couldn't heal while under the affects, vs. cures first, heals second. 
    Then there was the Mage trickery of spells; Fireball, paralyze, explosion (with the delay timer), and finish with a lightning bolt...vs. carrying a small pouch with a weak explosion trap that you could break the paralyze by opening, then heal and so on. 
    Things like that.
    Friends could help too, with cure spells and weak attacks to break the paralyze effects, or whatever. 

There were a number of trickeries a player could employ.
    For example, I had a character that had only 1 maxed out skill, and divided the rest up to get a couple of extra skills at a powerful enough level. 
    - I had magery enough to cure and heal effectively,
    - Healing with bandages to supplement that plus playing "ahead" as a tactic (Bandaging had a timer)
    - used the fastest weapon, a small cleaver, that did better damage over time than most other weapons, but was largely ignored and unknown by other players
    - And maxed out alchemy for the best potions and poisons.
    When I hit someone with a poisoned cleaver, all they saw was very rapid damage and massive poison to boot. I'd quickly switch out to another poisoned cleaver whenever they cured poison, and even if they cured, all they saw was being poisoned again and still more damage piling up very rapidly. 

The psychological affects was devastating. It caused them all to get completely lost in what the hell was going on. It made no sense to them or what they were used to. 
    This guy, once developed, was never defeated even by small groups. Most players ran like hell, even from just seeing this happen to their friends, because they didn't understand it. 
    It didn't hurt that I had a fast connection and ran all over the combat space. 

I also threw in damage spells, invisibility, and explosion potions. 

I added to that with the character, named "Kwik the Goblin", and used macroes while in combat to say taunting things in rhyme, 
     like:
    "Poison, poison,
    Your Arm It's On!" 
    and 
    "Hoblin', Hoblin'
    I'm not really a Goblin
    Myself, myself,
    I'm the most ugliest Elf!"

My favorite was to poison while going:
    *Sticks out long slobbery tongue*
    *PbPbPbPbPbPb* 

The Chaos and uncertainty I created was glorious! 

That kind of strategy is awesome, in my book. 

Most
    Fun
    Evar! 

[Deleted User][Deleted User]ArglebargleAlBQuirkycameltosis

Once upon a time....

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited January 2021

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    BruceYee said:
    Notice quite a few mobile hires on that page.. When you hire people with past experience in mobile isn't it usually cause you're gonna make a mobile game? Also, that fellow right next to Koster looks like a money man.. is he the money man? Koster could just be the guy they paid to be the figurehead for the company? Maybe they're gonna try to peddle a mobile/pc mmo on us and as long as Koster is involved people will believe in the project? The guy has to pay bills like the rest of us...right?

I also did not see a single SOE or Trion hire on that page unless I missed it? Wasn't Hartsman working with him on this project?
    I'd say your kind of on the right track.He partners with some money man,they want a game that has a high profit ceiling and they want something that can be done quickly.

IMO if you look for seriously good quality games,this is NOT the game to look for.Think about it,this Koster dude has had how many years on the sidelines?If he was in this tio truly make a great game he would have been on that years ago.

Instead he sees an opportunity,some money to make it happen,this is just a business move.I still have to wonder what they are up to because they still need to find a gimmick or liek the rest of the industry,they are just goign to be a copoy cat game reaching out to as many platforms as possible ,you know that high profit ceiling.

I remember another greedy,very ambitious studio that thought it could have it all,be the new Star Wars brand,that was Trion studios.They soon found out how costly it was to make a real good game so started to half ass everything to the point hey ended up worse than an indie studio.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    BruceYee said:
    Notice quite a few mobile hires on that page.. When you hire people with past experience in mobile isn't it usually cause you're gonna make a mobile game? Also, that fellow right next to Koster looks like a money man.. is he the money man? Koster could just be the guy they paid to be the figurehead for the company? Maybe they're gonna try to peddle a mobile/pc mmo on us and as long as Koster is involved people will believe in the project? The guy has to pay bills like the rest of us...right?

I also did not see a single SOE or Trion hire on that page unless I missed it? Wasn't Hartsman working with him on this project?
    I'd say your kind of on the right track.He partners with some money man,they want a game that has a high profit ceiling and they want something that can be done quickly.

IMO if you look for seriously good quality games,this is NOT the game to look for.Think about it,this Koster dude has had how many years on the sidelines?If he was in this tio truly make a great game he would have been on that years ago.

Instead he sees an opportunity,some money to make it happen,this is just a business move.I still have to wonder what they are up to because they still need to find a gimmick or liek the rest of the industry,they are just goign to be a copoy cat game reaching out to as many platforms as possible ,you know that high profit ceiling.

I remember another greedy,very ambitious studio that thought it could have it all,be the new Star Wars brand,that was Trion studios.They soon found out how costly it was to make a real good game so started to half ass everything to the point hey ended up worse than an indie studio.
    I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that you might be judging prematurely. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    BruceYee said:

Most of the people who have been in the gaming industry for quite a while have experience with more than one game.

Depending on what portion of the project you work on, working on a mobile game can easily have quite a lot in common with working on a PC game or a console game.
    AlBQuirky
    Raph said:
    When you hire people with past experience in mobile isn't it usually cause you're gonna make a mobile game?

Quite a lot of the team came from AAA, went to mobile or social, and has come back. I see that as a strength: it means that they have a better grasp on how to make something accessible and easy to get into, cutting away a lot of the heavy cruft and long grindy session stuff from MMOs.

We aren't making a casual game, but there are a lot of lessons from casual play, especially if you're interested in something that fits into the modern world, where getting long uninterrupted sessions coordinated with your friends can be hard.

that fellow right next to Koster looks like a money man

The guy next to me handles business side things. But he also is a game designer of long standing, including co-designing Paranoia. :)

Our art director is formerly from SOE (H1Z1, Planetside 2, and DCUO, among others). We have others too.

Scott Hartsman is a company advisor, not on the team day to day.

I hope this project is not heading in the "second life" direction.

It's not. It is a sandbox MMORPG.

Raph: "We aren't making a casual game, but there are a lot of lessons from casual play, especially if you're interested in something that fits into the modern world, where getting long uninterrupted sessions coordinated with your friends can be hard."

That sounds like Instances, but I'm wondering what you have in mind. 
    But IF you are thinking of instances, I hope you put something in there to make it FEEL like it's not. 
    For example, time warp gates (that players can use, or walk past) that take the group back in time, where it just so happens that no other players are there at the same moment in time. Perhaps using a set of Crystal Balls to link characters together, similar in function to UO's Communication Crystals. 

For me, that would be acceptable in making the game still fell like one world. 
    Although I'd much rather not have instances at all, because I like meeting other players while playing. 

I guess UO spoiled me on meeting new friends all the time and learning about them and their associates/guild/business/endeavors, etc. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

Torval said:
    Raph said:
    When you hire people with past experience in mobile isn't it usually cause you're gonna make a mobile game?

Quite a lot of the team came from AAA, went to mobile or social, and has come back. I see that as a strength: it means that they have a better grasp on how to make something accessible and easy to get into, cutting away a lot of the heavy cruft and long grindy session stuff from MMOs.

We aren't making a casual game, but there are a lot of lessons from casual play, especially if you're interested in something that fits into the modern world, where getting long uninterrupted sessions coordinated with your friends can be hard.

that fellow right next to Koster looks like a money man

The guy next to me handles business side things. But he also is a game designer of long standing, including co-designing Paranoia. :)

Our art director is formerly from SOE (H1Z1, Planetside 2, and DCUO, among others). We have others too.

Scott Hartsman is a company advisor, not on the team day to day.

I hope this project is not heading in the "second life" direction.

It's not. It is a sandbox MMORPG.

Raph: "We aren't making a casual game, but there are a lot of lessons from casual play, especially if you're interested in something that fits into the modern world, where getting long uninterrupted sessions coordinated with your friends can be hard."

That sounds like Instances, but I'm wondering what you have in mind. 
    But IF you are thinking of instances, I hope you put something in there to make it FEEL like it's not. 
    For example, time warp gates (that players can use, or walk past) that take the group back in time, where it just so happens that no other players are there at the same moment in time. Perhaps using a set of Crystal Balls to link characters together, similar in function to UO's Communication Crystals. 

For me, that would be acceptable in making the game still fell like one world. 
    Although I'd much rather not have instances at all, because I like meeting other players while playing. 

I guess UO spoiled me on meeting new friends all the time and learning about them and their associates/guild/business/endeavors, etc. 

I didn't infer that he meant instances just that people need to be able to get together and meet and accomplish something in less than a few hours.
    I know. And that part I am confident that Raph will have an answer to. 
    I'm just wondering about the "uninterrupted" part. 
    If the only answer is instances, I hope they are both disguised (time gate idea) and optional (again, time gate idea). 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

Well of course i am judging prematurely,i mean obviously.
    However i see something else way differently than the biased side sees it.
    Maybe there are some positives and strengths grabbing some people that worked on PC>mobile.
    Ok ask yourself WHY they went to mobile,you think ANYONE moves to mobile to make AAA games?BUSINESS first game second that is what these guys are after,money before the product.

I have no doubt,like i am 100% certain Raph understands what would make a great AAA game but i also believe he is NOT after that game.I strongly believe they came up with a financial plan first and then the a vague game design to work with it.

Have you ever wondered about the secrecy?You can throw any old game design out there it doesn't mean some JoE Smuck or even Blizzard is going to come along and copy it.The final product could go in a million different directions,varied levels of depth in the design,nobody is going to get a full grasp of the game.
    It is a secret because they are winbging itlike 99% of the studios out there.They have some vague basic concept of what they want but nothing really on a roadmap sort of speak.

AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited January 2021
    After the BS i witnessed with Genshin,i am of the conclusion the average consumer sees gold when looking at plain rock.I guess it makes it easy for developers to make a load of money off THAT consumer.

I am ok with an AVERAGE game,i want to make that clear,it doesn't have to be AAA because that is just never going to happen.However even if an average game,i need to see something UNIQUE,different and fun and keeps me engaged long term,all WITHOUT a cash shop.

I am playing two of my fave games right NOW and for the last few years,NO cash shops no on going costs.I don't support bs greed and THAT is where guys from mobile come from>>GREEDY monetization.
    AlBQuirky

Wizardry said:
    After the BS i witnessed with Genshin,i am of the conclusion the average consumer sees gold when looking at plain rock.I guess it makes it easy for developers to make a load of money off THAT consumer.

I am ok with an AVERAGE game,i want to make that clear,it doesn't have to be AAA because that is just never going to happen.However even if an average game,i need to see something UNIQUE,different and fun and keeps me engaged long term,all WITHOUT a cash shop.

I am playing two of my fave games right NOW and for the last few years,NO cash shops no on going costs.I don't support bs greed and THAT is where guys from mobile come from>>GREEDY monetization.
    Mobile was the fast growth in recent years. And you're going to blame people for taking jobs? 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Wizardry said:
    Well of course i am judging prematurely,i mean obviously.
    However i see something else way differently than the biased side sees it.

You do realize that you, too, are biased? Most people are :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR