Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would immediately play it again

*sigh*

Nothing else to say, i guess.

I miss my amazing Dread Knight.

And my elegant Paladin.

And my oh so versatile Necromancer.

And my "Vanguard god mode engaged" Disciple.

And my Shaman. I just liked how I managed to make a Goblin look ugly, but intelligent. I was a Phoenix Shaman, purely for style. Bear Shaman was of course the one that was OP.

Almost all classes in Vanguard have been so much fun. I didnt liked Bard so much, songs just havent been that fun.

And my six crafters, all near maxlevel ... well actually I had seven, because I played six in europe and one in USA, and then they merged the USA and europe servers.

And the sheer endless gaming world and realistic viewing distances.

And the great dungeons and raids.

And certain questlines. :)

Tokken

Comments

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Never played it.  I was too intimidated because everyone said it was too complex and ever quest wasn't a good experience for me.  I was totally into some of the concepts like diplomacy.
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Best hand-crafted world and BEST dungeons in an MMO ever IMO.  Exploration was truly amazing.  Classes were very well done and interesting to play.  Crafting and housing top notch. With the hardware available to us today, I'd jump in at playing a full release quality version of this game.

As for the diplomacy: what i played of it had tremendous potential.  I had fun with it - just needed more time to finish the system.  Would love to see a viable studio pick this title up and dust it off.  I can't stress enough how cool the dungeons were, and just the cool moments when you'd find some cave system full of baddies hidden along the sheer edges of some mountain path.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited December 2020
    Yep got some damn good memories there.
    Tokken
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Would play again in a heartbeat.
    Tokken

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    edited December 2020
    This was the one that was designed to have you just kinda roam and explore as a group too, right?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited December 2020
    It was a good game and I loved it from when I first logged on in beta. Are you hoping the new owners might bring it back?
    Chamber of Chains
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    cheyane said:
    It was a good game and I loved it from when I first logged on in beta. Are you hoping the new owners might bring it back?

Despite the appeal of Vanguard, I really hope they don't simply resurrect it.  The way forward is rarely found by looking backwards.  Part of the problem the MMORPG genre is facing is too many *players* are looking at past games wistfully.  I'd rather see a new, innovative game built on what Vanguard attempted to do rather than a simple reload and relaunch.  Expand on the MMORPG experience, don't rehash it.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    edited December 2020
    Mendel said:
    cheyane said:

Despite the appeal of Vanguard, I really hope they don't simply resurrect it.  The way forward is rarely found by looking backwards.  Part of the problem the MMORPG genre is facing is too many *players* are looking at past games wistfully.  I'd rather see a new, innovative game built on what Vanguard attempted to do rather than a simple reload and relaunch.  Expand on the MMORPG experience, don't rehash it.

that's not even remotely true.

The way forward IS by looking backwards, by seeing what worked and what didn't and then trying to maximize the good stuff while trying to minimize the bad stuff. Basically learning fro history which for some reason people can't seem to do.

Also, players are not necessarily looking at past games "wistfully." Just because you can't appreciate that axis, that bit, that "color" doesn't mean that other don't as well.

Currently most of the games I play are "old." Does that mean I'm being wistful or does it mean I prefer them?

Other than Cyberpunk this weekend I'm playing Daggerfall and Masters of Orion II.

Point is, they are wonderful games. No wistfulness necessary.

As far as mmorpg's, I feel I'm through with theme park stuff "for the most part." If Lord of the Rings Online had various areas designed more to my taste I'd still play it.

Vangard does and I do have the 2nd party server downloaded on my computer and from time to time play it as they make it better.

lol I should add I just purchased original quake last weekend but want to see if I can remap the keys to make it easier otherwise it's "really old school" for me.
    AdamantineHatefullTokken
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I too like playing old games.

For example there never will be another game like "Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines". Its just a masterpiece, despite its bugs. I love returning to it every once in a while.

Vanguard is just the same really, an excellent old game. Except, as a MMO, you cannot play it without servers and other players.

Sovrath
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    i played it a bit. Not sure what people are getting on with here. It was a pile of junk. 
    RoinSandmanjw
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Rungar said:
    i played it a bit. Not sure what people are getting on with here. It was a pile of junk. 

Cool systems, zero content.
    Hatefullgrimal
    Although the game wasn't 100% finished, it was amazing how detailed it was. The fishing, for example, was a mini-game. The fish would make runs, away, left, right, forward, etc, and you had to move with it to reel it in.

Crafting was also a mini-game, requiring skill and ability to create the best items. You didn't just hit a button, you had to respond to things, like overheating, cracking, etc.

Houses were built in the world, not in an instance, and you had to build them yourself.

The diplomacy system.

The lack of zones, it was one big open world.

Amazing really, for its time.

------------

• UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I recently found this, for those that wish to check it out please do.

https://www.vgoemulator.net/index.php

I have not personally tested this myself, so I cannot leave a review of my own experience.

Enjoy everyone!
    Yeah sorry, I know this will sound arrogant, but its simply the facts.

As somebody who has played Vanguard for all its time running and did most of the highlevel stuff I dont care too much for the opinion of people who probably logged in for a short time when the game was new and unfinished, and from the sound of it also never got to higher levels, and who have no criticism to offer except a global "meh, it sucked".

You frankly simply dont know what you're talking about.

Sandmanjw
  • Nitro-1Nitro-1 Member UncommonPosts: 42

As somebody who has played Vanguard for all its time running and did most of the highlevel stuff I dont care too much for the opinion of people who probably logged in for a short time when the game was new and unfinished, and from the sound of it also never got to higher levels, and who have no criticism to offer except a global "meh, it sucked".

.....If a movie in it's last 10 minutes only gets the attention of the crowd that hasn't already left from boredom...it's still a bad movie.

Same with a game, what it eventually became doesn't change the very valid experience of people who paid for an unfinished game. They didn't make the final moments or high levels because they moved onto something that was, to them, worth their time.

It's completely unfair to say you didn't stick it out so you can't possibly know anything or have an opinion because quote "You frankly simply dont know what you're talking about"

I played Vanguard for 2 weeks, it was bad, very bad. I moved on to something, to me, that was worth my time. This doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about, it means I didn't stick around, and for good reason, I left.
    Nitro-1 said:

.....If a movie in it's last 10 minutes only gets the attention of the crowd that hasn't already left from boredom...it's still a bad movie.

Same with a game, what it eventually became doesn't change the very valid experience of people who paid for an unfinished game. They didn't make the final moments or high levels because they moved onto something that was, to them, worth their time.

It's completely unfair to say you didn't stick it out so you can't possibly know anything or have an opinion because quote "You frankly simply dont know what you're talking about"

I played Vanguard for 2 weeks, it was bad, very bad. I moved on to something, to me, that was worth my time. This doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about, it means I didn't stick around, and for good reason, I left.

This is why I always wait 6 months to a year after a new MMO launches to really play it.

I understand that Vanguard had a very rocky launch, but by the time I started playing, it was great. I put the game on an SSD and the "chunking" was almost totally seamless and unnoticeable.

Vanguard had the best dungeons, IMHO. All open world, the game had no instances at all.  No zones. It was totally wide open.

I also played the Goblin Shaman with the fire bird pet. The Shaman was one of the best healer classes I've ever seen.

I remember spending weeks, months, grinding to get my mount. that was before the cash shop.

I'd play again, in a heartbeat.
    Sovrath

------------

olepi said:
    Nitro-1 said:

This is why I always wait 6 months to a year after a new MMO launches to really play it.

I understand that Vanguard had a very rocky launch, but by the time I started playing, it was great. I put the game on an SSD and the "chunking" was almost totally seamless and unnoticeable.

Vanguard had the best dungeons, IMHO. All open world, the game had no instances at all.  No zones. It was totally wide open.

I also played the Goblin Shaman with the fire bird pet. The Shaman was one of the best healer classes I've ever seen.

I remember spending weeks, months, grinding to get my mount. that was before the cash shop.

Vanguard always had its issues but I really loved the world. And "yeah" best dungeons.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Sovrath said:
    olepi said:
    Nitro-1 said:

Vanguard always had its issues but I really loved the world. And "yeah" best dungeons.
    Fully agree. It was a world. Maybe Pantheon will deliver. 
    perrin82 said:
    Sovrath said:
    olepi said:
    Nitro-1 said:

Fully agree. It was a world. Maybe Pantheon will deliver. 
    Here's to hoping.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I walked in on Vanguard when the world was void of NPC's. I spent over 2 casual years in the game before release.

I was in the beta when MS was still the publisher. I saw how slowly the content was progressing.

I saw the most impressive art work void of any kind of life. There was a lot of work still being done on mechanics. Black Smithing was a real cool mini game that required skill and risk.

Many cool game mechanics being toyed about, and very little content being developed from what I could see in game.

All of a sudden MS was out, Sony was in and all those mechanics got dumbed down. The world started to fill up with quests and we know what happened from there.

Vanguard was my biggest MMORPG disappointment.

I'm not disappointed with what was, I'm disappointed with what was not to be.

I had no idea of the politics and the drama that was going on inside the office at the time.

We all learned about that afterwards.

That was Vanguard's death bell imho

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

I remember the Necro, you could kill a mob, and then cut them up and take their body parts. then plug those into your necro pet. I loved that!

My limited understanding was that the game engine was  "spaghetti code" and very difficult to work on.

------------

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    My understanding is that cocaine and game development don’t go well together.
    Rungar

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

olepi said:
    I remember the Necro, you could kill a mob, and then cut them up and take their body parts. then plug those into your necro pet. I loved that!

I loved that all classes had so many options what to do.

Okay, some classes had more options than others. Necro certainly had all kinds of tools at their hand, direct damage, damage over time, debuffs, snare, fear, pet, pretend to be dead, etc. Not to mention the best HP buff in the game, which alone was a reason to have them in any raid.