Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Light Review so far

TalraekkTalraekk Member UncommonPosts: 260
Older comp, 3 ish years out.
Updated drivers, Win 10.
It plays very much like a Fallout game, except, not fully.... fell...out.  Feels very end of the world, but people and things are still around.
Items, people, all very fun to pick up and talk to (the little so far I've been able to talk to).
Bugs.  Had to reload once to reset a main story quest.  Otherwise, disassembling, and various things that cause menus to move, cause menus to reset to the top.
Graphics.  I wouldn't have noticed, but because of other game issues I had the monitor up,  a fairly average and almost unceasing range of 40-44 fps with graphics set to high with a few mediums (shadows) on a 980 ti.  No real notice of low fps either, the 40 feels good (don't get me started on Fallouts....... 20-250, 40s don't feel good).  Game looks good.  I'd even go so far as to say phenomenal.  Actual textures are varied, with marks and bullet lines/holes.  With, as far as I can tell so far, no pop up.
Haven't gotten too much into crafting, but have disassembled, rather than sold.  Wandering has given me almost enough for sidequests (big money reqs??) and I am currently able to afford the starter pay off.  All from moving point to point rather than driving.
So far... 7-9 hours of solid fun.  No real on rails, no nudity beyond character creation (boooooo:P)  But for many I feel a step along the lines of Fallout/mix of rpg shooter.  Can't wait for more exp for perks.

Comments

• tremmortremmor Member UncommonPosts: 80
    edited December 2020
    As to the graphics and performance this is how the game looks and works on my PC.
    RTX 2070 Super, I5 9600K (no OC), 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM, Samsung 970 Pro EVO 1TB SSD.
    Game settings are Ultra, 1440p, RTX OFF, DLSS Quality

• TalraekkTalraekk Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Additonal notes, scanning is quite a pain.  Spent an hour attempting to finish the option scan all on a quest, had to use a guide that did things like at 1.04 seconds the camera shows up...  very strange.  Fun in the short term, but I can see quests after this being tiresome.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Talraekk said:
    Additonal notes, scanning is quite a pain.  Spent an hour attempting to finish the option scan all on a quest, had to use a guide that did things like at 1.04 seconds the camera shows up...  very strange.  Fun in the short term, but I can see quests after this being tiresome.
    I could be wrong, hope I am, but I think the majority of players are going to opt for a strong shooter spec and treat it like another fps... just run and gun and kill most things.

A bunch of reviewers said it's the easiest way to play too.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Talraekk said:
    Older comp, 3 ish years out.
    Updated drivers, Win 10.
    It plays very much like a Fallout game, except, not fully.... fell...out.  Feels very end of the world, but people and things are still around.
    Items, people, all very fun to pick up and talk to (the little so far I've been able to talk to).
    Bugs.  Had to reload once to reset a main story quest.  Otherwise, disassembling, and various things that cause menus to move, cause menus to reset to the top.
    Graphics.  I wouldn't have noticed, but because of other game issues I had the monitor up,  a fairly average and almost unceasing range of 40-44 fps with graphics set to high with a few mediums (shadows) on a 980 ti.  No real notice of low fps either, the 40 feels good (don't get me started on Fallouts....... 20-250, 40s don't feel good).  Game looks good.  I'd even go so far as to say phenomenal.  Actual textures are varied, with marks and bullet lines/holes.  With, as far as I can tell so far, no pop up.
    Haven't gotten too much into crafting, but have disassembled, rather than sold.  Wandering has given me almost enough for sidequests (big money reqs??) and I am currently able to afford the starter pay off.  All from moving point to point rather than driving.
    So far... 7-9 hours of solid fun.  No real on rails, no nudity beyond character creation (boooooo:P)  But for many I feel a step along the lines of Fallout/mix of rpg shooter.  Can't wait for more exp for perks.

Thanks a lot, its nice to know it runs nicely on a bit older machines. might get it later after im done with a few games, and assignments hehe.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I watched Linus TT do a max settings test of the game but in reality he went through several settings.

I thought the game was way over done with lighting.It at times looked like they made a point to put in added lighting fixtures just to show off reflections but imo they weren't even that good nor did anything to spruce up the environment.

Also noticed some glitches like they were laughing when a dude just dropped out of the sky onto the pavement  and was clipping inside the pavement.

The textures are VERY dated,sure you can add some shaders/lighting to give that plastic shiny look but at times that actually looks worse or fake than actually good.

Settings.....It looks like the settings are really weird and that you could likely spend hours trying to figure them out.Linus basically suggested just using the automated settings for the best results.

gameplay,the little i saw in his testing,was as i stated,just the basic GTA copycat world design.IMO way way too many light sources,they are just bogging down the game needlessly because in the end players are not going to stand around looking at lights,they want action>>>.game play.

Performance is again tough to judge based on the settings seemingly being so whacked but LTT using a top end system dropped out at 7 fps when trying 8K.Considering there is really not much going on in the game aside from over the top light sources,that is some poor performance for a top of the line machine.At 4k he was hitting around 60 fps,again not very good considering the high end machine.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TalraekkTalraekk Member UncommonPosts: 260
    I still don't see anything wrong with textures (when I  can run up to random building or sidewalk A and its got decent grooves, solid).
    Further playing has my main issue being inventory management and keybinds.  The, frankly general non pc feel of the whole game, plus no solid keybinds for people like me who (would) use arrows + surroundings.  It so far, to me, feels very port feeling.
    In game, that damn constant menu refresh (you disassemble 2-4 items it pops back to the top) is my my main annoyance currently.
    Otherwise, I've actually had more luck bashing enemies in the face with fisticuffs than with weaponry so far.  Not to say my machine gun doesn't do better, but no ammo, + health regen perks/health regen puffs, /sigh half the time I'm like a 3 punch for you a 3 punch for you..........