Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EG7 to Acquire Everquest Developer Daybreak Game Company for $300 Million | MMORPG.com

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited December 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Even for demographic information or whatever 300 Million seems steep for this um company at this time. I can't even remember the name of the game they had in production where you could build on lots. You know that thing people paid for founder packages and then they dropped the game. Of course there was all kinds of PR and talk of things that would happen.

Anyway I haven't personally logged into any of the games that are still "active" in enough years that I can't give the actual number.

I guess the short version is I don't even see what value their IP's can have because it's been so long since they did anything. Maybe I'm just missing something... $300 Million worth of something.
    BruceYee
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

They don't need to focus on an EQ3 which would be a disaster anyway. 
    They can use the IP to create other genre of games like what was done before with  
    Champions of Norrath. 
    It uses the EQ IP and provides fans a fun way to explore it without the heavy financial and time  burden of an MMORPG. 
    Also a RTS-RPG game like Spellforce would be cool as well.
    Their IPs are so underutilized but do have value if done right.   

Only thing is EQ3 has been in the works for some time. Thats what has been hinted at for some time.
    No it really is not in development, it is in preproduction which is not the same thing. 
    They scrapped things twice already.
    Rumor has it what they have on the table idea wise is...eh at best.  
    So again focus on work to churn out games within genres that have manageable costs like an ARPG or RTS and use those to fund a really well thought out RPG. 
    MMORPGs for PCs are too costly and make no sense in todays age. 
    They need to move on from that idea.   
    Not sure I agree. The amount of backing there is for an EQ1 successor has been alive for a very long time. VR with Pantheon has made a living on people wishing for a modern take on EQ1. Amazon has jumped in whole hog with 2 large scale MMOs in the works. We have about 30 MMOs that may launch in the next 6-24 months. There is much value companies see in MMOs but I think they have learned to be cautious. Norrath is filled with many beloved stories.  
    The real money and development in the MMO space are in the mobile sector not the PC sector. 
    There is no need to agree, the facts speak for themselves. 
    You will see once they announce their next development project ;) 
    Ohh boy, I am really excited now! That almost washes away the bad taste EQ:Next left in my mouth........ 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    dragonlee66
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

They don't need to focus on an EQ3 which would be a disaster anyway. 
    They can use the IP to create other genre of games like what was done before with  
    Champions of Norrath. 
    It uses the EQ IP and provides fans a fun way to explore it without the heavy financial and time  burden of an MMORPG. 
    Also a RTS-RPG game like Spellforce would be cool as well.
    Their IPs are so underutilized but do have value if done right.   

Only thing is EQ3 has been in the works for some time. Thats what has been hinted at for some time.
    No it really is not in development, it is in preproduction which is not the same thing. 
    They scrapped things twice already.
    Rumor has it what they have on the table idea wise is...eh at best.  
    So again focus on work to churn out games within genres that have manageable costs like an ARPG or RTS and use those to fund a really well thought out RPG. 
    Not sure I agree. The amount of backing there is for an EQ1 successor has been alive for a very long time. VR with Pantheon has made a living on people wishing for a modern take on EQ1. Amazon has jumped in whole hog with 2 large scale MMOs in the works. We have about 30 MMOs that may launch in the next 6-24 months. There is much value companies see in MMOs but I think they have learned to be cautious. Norrath is filled with many beloved stories.  
    The real money and development in the MMO space are in the mobile sector not the PC sector. 
    There is no need to agree, the facts speak for themselves. 
    You will see once they announce their next development project ;) 
    Being top money does not mean there is not money to be made in the 2nd, 3rd and 10th money spots.
    achesoma
  • DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155
    DBG has run all the once decent mmo's into the ground, losing thousands of loyal games simply because they stopped caring about players getting shit on by other players on top of letting players monetize the games. DBG didnt care as long as there were profits from selling kronos. Development was a joke because they never could fix previous content bugs.

I dont expect anything to change with this sale, as was said earlier, the only purpose here is to sell the personal information for profit en masse ( pun?? )
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited December 2020
    Antarious said:
    Even for demographic information or whatever 300 Million seems steep for this um company at this time. I can't even remember the name of the game they had in production where you could build on lots. You know that thing people paid for founder packages and then they dropped the game. Of course there was all kinds of PR and talk of things that would happen.

Anyway I haven't personally logged into any of the games that are still "active" in enough years that I can't give the actual number.

I guess the short version is I don't even see what value their IP's can have because it's been so long since thy did anything. Maybe I'm just missing something... $300 Million worth of something.

I forgot about Landmark, they could bring that one back too. The building tools in that game were the BEST I've ever used in any voxel game.

"I guess the short version is I don't even see what value their IP's can have because it's been so long since thy did anything"

When you look at every MMO Daybreak has worked on since they changed from SOE is that they provide steady content for a price. Every LOTRO, DDO, EQ2, DCUO expac or DLC has had quality content not imaginary content like New World. It means DBG was smart and kept the smart devs who actually knew how to do things not just TALK about what they want to do and get "player feedback" to make the simplest decisions.

Real money(EQ, EQ2, LOTRO, DDO, DCUO) vs no money(New World) from a group of loyal PAYING players can sustain entire franchises. Think Tolkien trust, D&D & Warner Brothers would've continued their contracts if those games weren't making money? Subs, cash shops + expansions + expansions w/upgrades($100+) = hundreds of dollars they wouldn't otherwise be making. People speak poorly about all those games but all of those games still have active PAYING communities. The amount of content in those games can keep players active, progressing and PAYING for years.

Seeing the recent news about $250 new EQ1 expansion pack makes me wonder if that was a test to see how many people would drop that amount then shortly after this announcement was made..

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Well at least it’s not tencent. 
    dragonlee66[Deleted User]
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    They should leverage the EQ lore and world for an Elder Scrolls style RPG you have 20 years of story and content and lore to use.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    edited December 2020
    Nanfoodle said:

Being top money does not mean there is not money to be made in the 2nd, 3rd and 10th money spots.

publicly traded companies and companies that sell private shares aren't looking to be in the 2nd, 3rd, or 10th money spots.

The Patheon guys are ok with that as long as they can make enough for their few investors and keep going.

But most people don't invest in companies and say "yeah, don' worry, 10th place is fine ... "

Daybreak was looking to maximize their investment not "run" with the Everquest IP.

And companies with names like "EG7" whose mission statement includes things like "EG7 is a family of companies within the gaming industry that develops, markets publishes and distributes PC, console, and mobile games to the global gaming market."

don't buy other companies to end in 10th place either.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I'd just like to point out that SOE being sold to whatever company rebranded them as Daybreak and now EG7 buying Daybreak can't both be the apocalypse.  If the former was a disaster, then the latter doesn't make it worse.
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

publicly traded companies and companies that sell private shares aren't looking to be in the 2nd, 3rd, or 10th money spots.

The Patheon guys are ok with that as long as they can make enough for their few investors and keep going.

But most people don't invest in companies and say "yeah, don' worry, 10th place is fine ... "

Daybreak was looking to maximize their investment not "run" with the Everquest IP.

And companies with names like "EG7" whose mission statement includes things like "EG7 is a family of companies within the gaming industry that develops, markets publishes and distributes PC, console, and mobile games to the global gaming market."

If tenth place means I get $100 million in profit, and it only takes a $10 million investment up front, then 10th place is very fine indeed.
    CatibrieWhiteLantern
    Quizzical said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

If tenth place means I get $100 million in profit, and it only takes a $10 million investment up front, then 10th place is very fine indeed.

And you're saying that publicly traded companies aim for that or do they aim for top dollar? when they make 100 million in profit only to have their investors ask "why didn't we make 200 million?"

I don't think that's true.

Now "I'll" take the 100 million and be on my way ...
    [Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

That's why Coke has tried to but PepsiCo dozens of times. They really like the idea of being #1 and #2 drink on the market. 
    [Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    Sovrath said:

And you're saying that publicly traded companies aim for that or do they aim for top dollar? when they make 100 million in profit only to have their investors ask "why didn't we make 200 million?"

Investments are all about your return on investment.  If you have to put in $2 billion to only get $1 billion back in revenue, that's a terrible investment, even if you're #1 in market share in whatever industry.

I guarantee you that both Apple and Google believe that Apple has fared better than Google in the phone market, even though Android has massively larger market share than iOS.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited December 2020
    Hrrm so they bought this entire studio and all its IPs for less money than SC has raised to date.

They even have playable, released games....not a bad deal I'm thinking.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Quizzical said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    Sovrath said:

Investments are all about your return on investment.  If you have to put in $2 billion to only get $1 billion back in revenue, that's a terrible investment, even if you're #1 in market share in whatever industry.

I guarantee you that both Apple and Google believe that Apple has fared better than Google in the phone market, even though Android has massively larger market share than iOS.

Ok that's true, it is about return on investment I wasn't. but I was thinking you meant 2nd, 3rd or 10th place as far as profit is concerned, not market share. I suppose I misunderstood you.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So how much did Columbus nova or whatever buy it for?

As far as anything new being done, fat chance. They are gonna run the same ship, same course, same crew, new captain, nothing changes... well they will probably want to squeeze as much cash as possible and put in some loot boxes.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Pretty sad Everquest isn't even worth as much as what Star Citizen hauled in. They are really letting this IP shrivel up and die on the vine.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    not sure why daybreak is worth 300m
    Mendel
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2020
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Noone mentioning that they just admitted to owning LotRO and DDO in that release, not just "publishing"?
    Not mentioned because of the wait for a confirmation, I believe... 

You know, this is Daybreak, remember the CN fiasco? When Columbus was on the pyre, and Daybreak suddenly pulled "CN never owned Daybreak, they never were our parent company, we have nothing to do with those guys", in 1984 style?

Now they've said:
    "Daybreak possesses globally recognized third party IPs combined with valuable original IPs. Third party IPs include DC, Lord of the Rings and Dungeons & Dragons."
    which is factually incorrect (Warner, Tolkien Estate and WotC would surely debate that bold claim...), their wording of "possess" can simply mean they publish a few games with those IPs.
    D&D is sticking out especially, since there's an another MMORPG with the IP, not under Daybreak.

With that aside, it's still possible they really own SSG just never said so (not on their list of owned studios). Nevertheless, Sev posted after the announcement the same PR excitement about welcoming EG7 "into our family", whatever that means.

Since EG7 is swedish, maybe there's a chance for the (physical) return of the EU servers? :)
    [Deleted User]
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Incoming EQ Battle Royal and mass complaints

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Pretty sad when this topic is a top news story within the mmorpg community, meaning this shows how dead the genre truly is, you know like this news tidbit should be a little tiny box on the 37th page of a newspaper.

That being said, all i read was the headline, so all i hope for is an EQ3 proper. Maybe this company is looking at actually doing something with the franchise.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • AreteoAreteo Member UncommonPosts: 55

Nanfoodle said:

I hate you. MMOs are the only games I play. I don't care about all that other crap.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Po_gg said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Noone mentioning that they just admitted to owning LotRO and DDO in that release, not just "publishing"?
    Not mentioned because of the wait for a confirmation, I believe... 

You know, this is Daybreak, remember the CN fiasco? When Columbus was on the pyre, and Daybreak suddenly pulled "CN never owned Daybreak, they never were our parent company, we have nothing to do with those guys", in 1984 style?

Now they've said:
    "Daybreak possesses globally recognized third party IPs combined with valuable original IPs. Third party IPs include DC, Lord of the Rings and Dungeons & Dragons."
    which is factually incorrect (Warner, Tolkien Estate and WotC would surely debate that bold claim...), their wording of "possess" can simply mean they publish a few games with those IPs.
    D&D is sticking out especially, since there's an another MMORPG with the IP, not under Daybreak.

With that aside, it's still possible they really own SSG just never said so (not on their list of owned studios). Nevertheless, Sev posted after the announcement the same PR excitement about welcoming EG7 "into our family", whatever that means.

Since EG7 is swedish, maybe there's a chance for the (physical) return of the EU servers? :)

Read the EG7 investor pdf.

https://www.enadglobal7.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/EG7-Investor-Presentation-Dec-2020-Acquires-Daybreak-Games.pdf

Scroll down to the "DAYBREAK - A Unique Journey" infographic.

"2016: Daybreak acquires Turbine and Standing Stone Games, bringing LOTRO and DDO onboard, since contributing with $72m of bookings and $39m of Game level EBITDA "

No if, ands, or butts about that, now is there?

Damn ! That is quite a portfolio of games there.
    Chamber of Chains
    xpsync said:
    Pretty sad when this topic is a top news story within the mmorpg community, meaning this shows how dead the genre truly is, you know like this news tidbit should be a little tiny box on the 37th page of a newspaper.

That being said, all i read was the headline, so all i hope for is an EQ3 proper. Maybe this company is looking at actually doing something with the franchise.
    You seem to think that news should only be solely about 'games themselves'

This is a major IP that has gone through two sales already, the first to a somewhat, seemingly sketchy, company and now that company is purchased by what looks like another investment company.

That IS news. You might not be interested but I can assure you that games are made by companies and those companies play an important part in what happens to those games.

xpsync