Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red's Read - Genshin Impact | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666

Scot said:

I have a similar line, chance mechanics in games are only gambling if you can pay for them. For me it does not matter if it can be done some other way, the games are designed to entice you into paying, not entice you into grinding.

It would be good to see an article like that on here, gambling in gaming is rarely looked at in the gaming media. Take as long as you like to do it, the gambling is not going anywhere soon.

If that's you're line, you're ruling out any game for sale, then. Because whether the transaction is upfront or in a pay-as-you-go manner, you still have to compensate the developers for their time in some way. I think that line, at least as stated, is probably a little extreme. =) I know what you mean, though. You consider anything that feels like a combination of pay-to-continue-play and a random reward mechanic to be gambling. I don't think that's unfair. Just because I don't really agree, doesn't mean I'm dismissing the validity in that position. I understand it.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I did get my first 5 star character - Zhongli. Pretty happy about that. 
    Red_Thomas
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666

Wizardry said:

I wish others would actually share what it is the game does well because i only saw ONE thing and that is "elemental "properties.
    I think the idea of auto switching classes on the fly is just dumb and destroys the meaning of a class.With this design you might as well just give the player everything and remove the role and the class.

The characters faces look like white masks and not like  a face.The graphics are incredibly low end,cheap crap and no excuse for it.Gameplay trumps graphics,most certainly but I don't see the gameplay either.

Chests just laying around or hidden is again a lame cheap old idea from 20-25 years ago.Items shoudl be  crafted or found from drops,like why are those chests there anyhow,that makes no sense.

Nodes have sparkles coming from them>>lame.

In reality this is basically a 1990's console type game and not worthy of any praise in 2020.

It's not auto-switching and it's not really class-based. It's a lot more like maybe City of Heroes/Villains, I guess. You're not really building a traditional team with tank/healing/damage, but more just picking how you want your team to work. I happen to have built in a little healing on mine, but I've seen plenty of people stress pure damage, too. Then, you're just building a team that synergizes well with each other, and even then you can also build a team where you have a main and all the other characters are just providing passive bonuses, so you don't even have to do the switching around if you don't want to.

I'd say the things that they do really well are the implementation of daily quests, which feel far more interesting to me than most other games that I've seen do similar things. I also have greatly enjoyed the exploration aspect of the game. Even areas that I've gone over a great deal, I keep finding little hidden nooks and crannies that I'd been missing. More, some of that missed stuff is actually key story content, which is the other thing I think they did well. There are a ton of stories layered over the topology of the game and you're always stumbling onto new ones. I think some are probably locked behind the completion of some other one or a specific adventure rank, but it feels very dynamic and unscripted (even though I know that's not really true).

I'd highly recommend the game with no money at all just as an interesting game with a cool environment and lots of fun stories.

My only two complaints is that I'd like the multiplayer bit to be a little more fleshed out and I would like there to be more robust crafting, though I admit that what there is now is very approachable and probably makes it better for kids.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Scot said:

I have a similar line, chance mechanics in games are only gambling if you can pay for them. For me it does not matter if it can be done some other way, the games are designed to entice you into paying, not entice you into grinding.

It would be good to see an article like that on here, gambling in gaming is rarely looked at in the gaming media. Take as long as you like to do it, the gambling is not going anywhere soon.

If that's you're line, you're ruling out any game for sale, then. Because whether the transaction is upfront or in a pay-as-you-go manner, you still have to compensate the developers for their time in some way. I think that line, at least as stated, is probably a little extreme. =) I know what you mean, though. You consider anything that feels like a combination of pay-to-continue-play and a random reward mechanic to be gambling. I don't think that's unfair. Just because I don't really agree, doesn't mean I'm dismissing the validity in that position. I understand it.

It is just paying for a chance that concerns me, lets pay for the whole outfit (or whatever) not just a chance of getting one and so on. It is the way we are paying that's an issue, obviously the developers need recompense; lets pay them in an upfront transparent fashion that is not like a spin on a roulette wheel.
    YashaXRed_Thomas