Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turbulent Creates New Studio In Montreal To Create Worlds For Star Citizen | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageTurbulent Creates New Studio In Montreal To Create Worlds For Star Citizen | MMORPG.com

Turbulent has been tasked with creating new worlds for Cloud Imperium Games' hyper-ambitious sci-fi MMO, Star Citizen, according to a new press release. The company will create a new studio in Montreal to make this possible.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    This just gets weirder and weirder every day...
    Sandmanjw[Deleted User]Kyleranfoppotee[Deleted User]TheocritusVrikaMendelGdemamiFrodoFragins

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    So...when will this guys go crowdfunding to .. achieve this amazing idea to create new .. worlds in SC?

I mean a studio must eat, right?
    botrytisGdemami

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hrrm, grow the team to 100 over the next three years....just to reach full velocity.

So I guess they plan to build worlds for the next five or so years right?

So much for launching by 2025, especially considering their first "mission" is to build out the tools to make it even possible.

botrytisfoppoteeZenJelly[Deleted User]alin1209ScotSandmanjw[Deleted User]GdemamiFrodoFragins

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Why not do this in house? Strange.
    foppotee[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This is the development that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started coding it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue coding it forever just because...
    foppoteeKyleranxpsync[Deleted User]GdemamiAmatheBeansnBreadMcSleaz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    As time goes on I am increasingly of the opinion they have forgotten this world where the game has to launch. This is clearly development you would do after the game has launched and you have to wonder what is wrong with the procedural generation of planets you see in other games?
    xpsync[Deleted User]GdemamiAmatheFrodoFragins
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

- Naysayers: "CIG will collapse before delivering the 100 systems Stretch Goal. Evil! scam!"

- CIG: "We are opening a Studio dedicated to delivering 100 systems"

- Naysayers: "Mismanagement!"

- Backers: "Thanks that is a great news!"
    Kyleranmmoloustrawhat0981alkarionlogHeadHunterX2IceAgeMcSleazFrodoFragins
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Amathe said:

This is in house. Turbulent is part of RSI. When company do create affiliates, there are good reason like:
    - Fiscal deduction,
    - Talents concentrated in a specific area
    - Admin done by another affiliate so no extra middle men costs (Turbulent)
    mmoloualkarionlogIceAgeMcSleaz
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    JoeBlober said:

- Naysayers: "CIG will collapse before delivering the 100 systems Stretch Goal. Evil! scam!"

According to you literally everything CIG does is great news, you wouldn't be able to name a single negative if your life depended on it...

Lots of backers have been critical of how CIG does things btw, not all backers are drooling fans. Many have also walked away over the last 8 years. But you already know this.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    mmolou[Deleted User]GdemamiFrodoFragins
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    This month is looking good for them too. I think its projection will be close to last years all time high. It might even be higher. New studios opening and SC raking it in. Hopefully we will start seeing some more polish.
    LackingMMOIceAgeAmatheMcSleaz
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    I recently thought that SC had entered that stage where it is too little, too late. That the community has moved on. Still thinking that.
    Gdemami
    edited November 2020
    Interestingly enough, Turbulent games had no actual experience in this sort of development though they have a long term relationship with Cloud Imperium.

What could go wrong?

“Over the years, our partnership has grown to encompass not just the development of out-of-game components for CIG’s online platform, but also integrated game services such as the player communication tool, Spectrum, FOIP/VOIP (Face Over Internet Protocol and Voice Over Internet Protocol) and other in-game services."

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-and-turbulent-extend-their-long-running-partnership-through-mutual-investment

[Deleted User]Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

lahnmir said:
    JoeBlober said:

According to you literally everything CIG does is great news, you wouldn't be able to name a single negative if your life depended on it...

Lots of backers have been critical of how CIG does things btw, not all backers are drooling fans. Many have also walked away over the last 8 years. But you already know this.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Like I've said before, a textbook example of a commercial cult in the making....

LackingMMONilden

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    lahnmir said:

But isin't what you're doing here now but in reverse? Trying to spin a negative like your life depended on it?

How exactly is the fact that a game company opening another studio and hiring more staff, actively expanding it's workforce to work on it's games along with providing 100+ more jobs in the industry a bad thing?

Seems like just another weak ass excuse to be angry at SC lol. Have you tried reading besides the headlines instead of spawning unicorns?

For the 99% out of the loop:

Turbulent has been working with CIG since 2012. They're a Canadian Web studio based in Montreal and are responsible for all things website/forum infrastructure.

Then they have grown along with CIG and in most recent years have been preparing to branch into game development/art production with CIG.

Montreal has a huge game development scene with a lot of big studios there so a huge pool to recruit from. Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda, Unity all have studios there, also a very healthy indie dev scene.

CIG and Turbulent did some time ago was each bought stakes in each company reinforcing their parternship but remaining independent. I think CIG owns ~25% of Turbulent right now.

What this news report is that they are opening officially a game dev branch there because the opportunity arised. 

You've probably read about some Ubisofts studio troubles and dramas with hostages and such. It was in their Montreal studio and they lost a considerable amount of dev's. Guess were they are going to work now. ;)
    mmolouIceAgeGdemami
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

JoeBlober said:

Realist: Wake me up at 2035

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    lahnmir said:
    JoeBlober said:

Of course not, that's not the JoeGoebbels' method. Sorry about the Godwin - just to point out that there is nothing new or surprising about his approach, as history shows.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited November 2020
    Amathe said:

I guess the 500+ person dev team just isn't enough to get this done...have to outsource....
    BabuinixIceAgeGdemamiMcSleazFrodoFragins
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited November 2020
    When i glossed over the latest threads, i had for a brief moment, a surge of excitement, in that OMG shit just got real here, but my mistake was when i read Montreal i assumed they got Ubisoft involved.

For SC fanbois, Ubisoft is a real development studio which, i shit you not, ships games, no i'm not joking, some companies are well managed, since i know this whole shipping a playable complete game is a completely foreign concept for you all, meh, i thought i'd take a moment to educate you on that.

I know, I know, it doesn't compute for you in that like why would they develop a game, and then sell a completed finished product? Which is a good question.

Well some companies have standards, morals, i suppose.

MendelIceAgeGdemamiAmathe
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There has been a LOT of changes and shifts in development. But I thought that it was all randomly generated worlds or something, so now they are changing to making the actual worlds?

My next question is, are some of the worlds going to be paid access?
    xpsyncFrodoFragins
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2020
    A few comments.

Someone a few weks ago said something snarky like just don't do business in Canada,small market anyway,well this is again another business setting up shop in Montreal because incentives are better than anywhere else.

I have been saying since forever that if your a small studio or even one that doesn't seemingly know wtf they are doing aka SC Robert's just sub contract your work and it can make your game a LOT better and possibly for a lot cheaper.

I see this as the very first positive step from this studio/Robert's idk who came up with the idea,i somehow doubt it was Robert's.
    Me personally i would just seek out whomever setup the template code for Atlas/Ark/DarkNlight/Wild West games and use that template for generating worlds because it is already plenty good enough,far better than anything Cloud Imperium would have ever made.

My final thought,i seem to remeber Robert's showing off his EMPTY planet landing or ship fly over and BOTH himself and fanbois were raving how awesome it looked,i just shook my head in disbelief,well this proves that the studio knows they were NOT doing a good enough job and needed help.

xpsyncBabuinix

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Amathe said:
    I guess the 500+ person dev team just isn't enough to get this done...have to outsource....
    -How many developers worked on Red Dead Redemption 2?
    When Rockstar Games realized that a group of distinct studios would not necessarily work, it co-opted all of its studios into one large team to facilitate development among 1,600 developers; a total of around 2,000 people worked on the game.

-Ubisoft revealed that just under 1,000 staff were working on Assassin’s Creed: Origins, with around 200 to 300 working on the art alone. Red Dead Redemption 2, for another comparison, was co-developed by all of Rockstar’s 9 studios and involved a total of around 2,000 working on the game.

-Aside from the developers at Naughty Dog, 14 outsourced studios worked on The Last of Us Part 2, amassing a workforce of over 2,000 people. Primarily developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, The Last of Us Part 2’s production involved 2,332 people – 2,169 developers and 163 thanks.
    The more you know ;)
    xpsync said:
    When i glossed over the latest threads, i had for a brief moment, a surge of excitement, in that OMG shit just got real here, but my mistake was when i read Montreal i assumed they got Ubisoft involved.
    For SC fanbois, Ubisoft is a real development studio which, i shit you not, ships games, no i'm not joking, some companies are well managed, since i know this whole shipping a playable complete game is a completely foreign concept for you all, meh, i thought i'd take a moment to educate you on that.
    I know, I know, it doesn't compute for you in that like why would they develop a game, and then sell a completed finished product? Which is a good question.
    Well some companies have standards, morals, i suppose.

Ubisoft’s toxic culture problems allegedly span more than a decade of abuse

Ubisoft Family Accused of Mishandling Sexual Misconduct Claims

New allegations show the cycle of abuse and misconduct runs deep at Ubisoft

Sexual harassment at Ubisoft: “We knew”

Sure.  B)

Oh and you're probably not aware of the development history of Beyond Good & Evil 2 game which has been in development well before Star Citizen was even announced and still with no Beta/Release date in sight. 

Nice unicorns though.  :D 
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    JoeBlober said:

Interesting that I said it was a weird situation and you broke it down into "Naysayers" vs "Backers".

Also, for the record I backed the game and I likely pre-date you.

Sandmanjw[Deleted User]Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    JoeBlober said:

Amathe said:

This is in house. Turbulent is part of RSI. 
    No it's not, RSI it outsourcing.

RSI owns 25% of Turbulent and they've had a lot of business dealing with them, so from that point of view they're a good partner if you're going to outsource some development.

But I think the question is, why the fuck are RSI outsourcing development of new planets? They've already developed all the procedural generation tools, assets for multiple planets, and complete planets in-house. Additionally Turbulent doesn't have any prior experience from this kind of work, so RSI should be in a much better position to create those new planets themselves or even found a new studio for planet creation themselves instead of outsourcing.

Add to that that RSI burned themselves pretty badly when they outsourced Star Marine, and that RSI is currently in a situation where they can't add more planets to their universe before they finish some major engine updates, and it's really strange decision for them to outsource creation of more planets now.
    [Deleted User]KyleranGdemamiScotFrodoFragins

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2020
    Babuinix said:
    Amathe said:
    -Aside from the developers at Naughty Dog, 14 outsourced studios worked on The Last of Us Part 2, amassing a workforce of over 2,000 people. Primarily developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, The Last of Us Part 2’s production involved 2,332 people – 2,169 developers and 163 thanks.
    The more you know 
    Witcher 3 had 500 voice actors working on it.

Number of people working full-time on the game simultaneously and total number of people involved in production are different numbers, because the latter includes huge number of people who do only short contracts, as well as every replacement hired for those who quit during development.

That's not to say there wouldn't be larger dev teams around than the one currently developing Star Citizen.
    GdemamiScot

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:
    JoeBlober said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Like I've said before, a textbook example of a commercial cult in the making....

Dude Babu has a thread going where he celebrates every mil donated :).

I mean I cannot imagine being this excited about a game in development. I dont know what the game would have to be for me to be this excited.
    That's leaving excitement in the dust and moving into blind faith and fanaticism. It's also only one of the Star Citizen threads he updates and posts in religiously.
    Babuinix

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/