Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matter of time? Games create rare cosmetics for AUCTION?

TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
edited November 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Another thread about fortnight had me thinking...

When will a really popular game like fortnight, make a guaranteed single batch of... say a cool hat... only 100 (or 1 or 1000... pick a number) will be made.

Then sell them at AUCTION for the highest bids.  

Has that been done besides niche games? I don't think so.   Not a preset price, pure auction.

I could also see a celebrity made item... 
UngoodAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    edited November 2020

When will a really popular game like fortnight, make a guaranteed single batch of... say a cool hat... only 100 (or 1 or 1000... pick a number) will be made.

Has that been done besides niche games? I don't think so.   Not a preset price, pure auction.
    Limited Time Cosmetics are already a thing in GW2, and sold on the in-game Auction House for in-game gold for obscene prices, I wager some RMT goes as well for these items.

limited time sales for Expansions, where a player gets custom items/cosmetic IF they Pre-order and buy the biggest packs/etc, is ALSO already a pretty common thing.

I don't know if there are rules against the game company itself actually having an auction for their goods, which is a good question, because I don't recall any other type of companies doing anything that either, like when Niki made those limited Back to the Future shoes, they were sold for a flat rate, on a first come-first-serve and later they were sold on sites like E-bay for a huge profit. Ford, Lego, and a slew of other companies also had limited edition things, and they all followed the same process, they never auctioned them off, they sold them, albeit the process by which you could get one varied, it was always a flat fee for the item.. even limited time items, the manufacture/retailer never auctions them off.

Even in events like when they do it for Charity, they donate them to a charity to be auctioned off by someone else.

And given how predatory a MMO company can be, it would in fact be very profitable for them to auction off limited items for RMT, especially something like a cosmetic, which is now making me wonder if the are in fact rules against that, and that is why none of the big names will touch something like that.

I admit that is well out of my circle and field of knowledge. But something to ponder about none the less.
    TwistedSister77AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    remsleep said:
    Fortnite already has limited time cosmetics
    Not limited time, limited batch(finite #)... and auctioned (not preset price).
    AlBQuirkyMendel
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    remsleep said:
    Fortnite already has limited time cosmetics
    Not limited time, limited batch(finite #)... and auctioned (not preset price).
    Quite literally that's Blankos Block Party. There's a story on this site about it, and I've been in their discord. They have seasons with blockchain based cosmetics, they are made specifically to be rare, and once they are no longer available they can be sold for real money. 

I would hope the game doesn't make it big, because if it does, we might see something like that catch on. 
    AlBQuirkyQuizzical[Deleted User]

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Gemstone IV, the MUD, has auctions for unique functional and cosmetic items a couple of times a year.  Each time, four or five whales buy everything and spend a total of hundreds of thousands of dollars.  I'm not joking or exaggerating.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]Palebanebcbully
    Gemstone IV, the MUD, has auctions for unique functional and cosmetic items a couple of times a year.  Each time, four or five whales buy everything and spend a total of hundreds of thousands of dollars.  I'm not joking or exaggerating.
    That would explain what keeps the game going all these years.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    First time ?
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Probably not for mainstream western games.  It'll piss too many people off.

Not to mention it probably easier to make money selling gacha items from loot box.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    edited November 2020
    AAAMEOW said:

Yeah, I thought of that too... but they could always say 10% of the proceeds will go to XYZ bleeding heart charity.  Just to dip their toe in.
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited November 2020
    AAAMEOW said:

Yeah, I thought of that too... but they could always say 10% of the proceeds will go to XYZ bleeding heart charity.  Just to dip their toe in.
    I'm not so sure about "pissing people off." Game companies have a LOT of practices that piss people off, yet we gamers still give them our money as a reward for those practices.

I could easily see someone doing this. Whales are what most games are after these days and what better way to attract them auctioning unique or rare items that only the highest bidder gets? I don't see a downside for the game company.

Great point about "charity", though. Throw that buzzword out and people will flock to "do their good deed" for their Internet accolades. Doesn't matter if only 10% or even 50% makes it to said charity. Givers want to feel good :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I have to boggle every time i hear a COSMETIC item even exists for a MUD.  I know, an item with an amazing textual description, or maybe a hat described by Kurt Vonnegut.   Sheesh!  What people will pay money for!

Maybe STO should look into special items with a voice narrative by William Shatner.  He'll read anything (including his own novels).

AlBQuirkyAmaranthar

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:

I have to boggle every time i hear a COSMETIC item even exists for a MUD.  I know, an item with an amazing textual description, or maybe a hat described by Kurt Vonnegut.   Sheesh!  What people will pay money for!

Maybe STO should look into special items with a voice narrative by William Shatner.  He'll read anything (including his own novels).

To be fair.. Cosmetics, or "Looking Badass" as it where had existed since the Pen&Paper days where players would draw up their character, or describe their gear with cool effects, like skull motifs and the like. And this was purely descriptive, and depending on the longevity of the campaign, would even commission work done by professional artists for their characters or party.

This translated to MUD's where items with exotic or even unique descriptions were highly coveted, Gemstone IV and Dragon Realms where huge on this one.

With the rise of MMO's, and the visual world, this was the next logical step, there has been a desire for Cosmetics as early as EQ1.

So, I mean, humans are visual creatures, where aesthetics and cosmetics are key points in our entire world, that is why we moved beyond living in gray blocks, it should come as a surprise to no one that we would all be highly moved to spend money on visual effects both in our real life and gaming life.
    AlBQuirkyMendelWhiteLantern

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

I wouldn't be surprised if this were to happen, and wouldn't care one bit.

Things I consider to have no value are auctioned for ridiculous amounts of money in the real world every day. Nobody cares much about that. To me, there is little if any difference between the two.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I wouldn't be surprised if this were to happen, and wouldn't care one bit.

Things I consider to have no value are auctioned for ridiculous amounts of money in the real world every day. Nobody cares much about that. To me, there is little if any difference between the two.
    Normally, I agree here. Mobile gaming taught me differently.

I don't play mobile games, so cared bety little about them. But I now see their lucrative monetization methods in games of all kinds now. It is not good, in my opinion, and seems to be getting worse. However, I can see the business sense that this makes for companies and find it hard to fault them :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:

To be fair.. Cosmetics, or "Looking Badass" as it where had existed since the Pen&Paper days where players would draw up their character, or describe their gear with cool effects, like skull motifs and the like. And this was purely descriptive, and depending on the longevity of the campaign, would even commission work done by professional artists for their characters or party.

This translated to MUD's where items with exotic or even unique descriptions were highly coveted, Gemstone IV and Dragon Realms where huge on this one.

With the rise of MMO's, and the visual world, this was the next logical step, there has been a desire for Cosmetics as early as EQ1.

So, I mean, humans are visual creatures, where aesthetics and cosmetics are key points in our entire world, that is why we moved beyond living in gray blocks, it should come as a surprise to no one that we would all be highly moved to spend money on visual effects both in our real life and gaming life.
    I'm all for the items, I think it's a very cool feature to have uniqueness and rareness. 
    I'm just not for Cash Shops, and players with rewards for RL money. 

This sort of feature would be much better if earned through game play,
    and useless to me as a sales ticket item. And it's not the money or costs, it's the idea of the damn thing. 
    Meaningless? Or worthy playability? That's the question. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

Ungood said:
    Mendel said:

I'm all for the items, I think it's a very cool feature to have uniqueness and rareness. 

and useless to me as a sales ticket item. And it's not the money or costs, it's the idea of the damn thing. 

Yah, but we live in a world where some players who Earned the time would try to sell the items for RMT anyway, either via some off site Auction house for the item itself, or selling the account that has the item on it. 

I mean, it's not like players themselves object to making Bank off the Game, why should the Dev's?

But again, I am , and have always been for the sale of Content, either by DLC's, Expansions, The Turbine Method, or however they want.

That way all gear is earned by the players. You buy the content, you play the content, you earn the gear.

None of this Selling directly from the Store Crap.

To use an example. GW2 sells limited time weapon skins in their Black Lion Chests. That pisses me off, I hate that RNG BS system.

Why not, during say Season events, just sell a limited time pass to additional Seasonal content where players can earn the related Cosmetic Weapons, Mounts, and all the stuff they would otherwise sell in the store, with the free stuff still available for the event as well.

To ensure they can make money, lets say, sell the passes in 12 or 24 hour blocks, with bulk discounts for 1 week, where players can then farm it like Coffined Squirrels on Red Bull, to get as many of the new skins as they want, all of which would be account bound.

And then sell the Unbound versions from the Gemstore like they normally do, for the people that want to play the Black Lion Exchange, or try to make bank off the game.

That way, everyone wins.
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:

Yah, but we live in a world where some players who Earned the time would try to sell the items for RMT anyway, either via some off site Auction house for the item itself, or selling the account that has the item on it. 

I mean, it's not like players themselves object to making Bank off the Game, why should the Dev's?

But again, I am , and have always been for the sale of Content, either by DLC's, Expansions, The Turbine Method, or however they want.

That way all gear is earned by the players. You buy the content, you play the content, you earn the gear.

To use an example. GW2 sells limited time weapon skins in their Black Lion Chests. That pisses me off, I hate that RNG BS system.

Why not, during say Season events, just sell a limited time pass to additional Seasonal content where players can earn the related Cosmetic Weapons, Mounts, and all the stuff they would otherwise sell in the store, with the free stuff still available for the event as well.

To ensure they can make money, lets say, sell the passes in 12 or 24 hour blocks, with bulk discounts for 1 week, where players can then farm it like Coffined Squirrels on Red Bull, to get as many of the new skins as they want, all of which would be account bound.

And then sell the Unbound versions from the Gemstore like they normally do, for the people that want to play the Black Lion Exchange, or try to make bank off the game.

That way, everyone wins.
    That's much better. But I have what I think is a better version on that. 

"to get as many of the new skins as they want, all of which would be account bound." 

That's too easy, and too restrictive. 
    I'd much rather see items that require effort and skill to get, and then allow players to sell them as they wish (just like any item they get in game). 

However, regular stuff like a few kinds of herbs and other supplies could be plentiful, as a good for both selling "tickets" (for the company) and for the players. 

And I'm not against players selling for cash. That doesn't really harm game play, other than for the unfairness factor based on the buyer having the personal wealth to do it. But some things just can't be controlled and RL rears it's ugly head in this matter. 

AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

Ungood said:

That way, everyone wins.

"to get as many of the new skins as they want, all of which would be account bound." 

I'd much rather see items that require effort and skill to get, and then allow players to sell them as they wish (just like any item they get in game). 

However, regular stuff like a few kinds of herbs and other supplies could be plentiful, as a good for both selling "tickets" (for the company) and for the players. 

And I'm not against players selling for cash. That doesn't really harm game play, other than for the unfairness factor based on the buyer having the personal wealth to do it. But some things just can't be controlled and RL rears it's ugly head in this matter. 

I am going to disagree with you here, because as I see it.

There are two points to items in a game.

1) Their is value in earning the item, and thus the item is a mark of achievement and accomplishment and should not be sellable.

2) Item only has value as resale.

A fine example of this, is GW2, Legendary Weapons.

Gen2 Legendary Weapons in GW2. They are account bound, all of it, from the precursor to the legendary itself, the player needs to make every single step of them, this means they need to get the crafting ranks, collect the materials, do the collections, etc, and there is absolutely no way for a player to buy their way past these marks of achievement, at best, they can buy the generic raw mats that are used, like wood, ore, leather, cloth, etc, but, they still need to do all the major parts themselves.

This makes Gen2 Legendary weapons a mark of the players persistence to complete the legendary journey.

On the flip side, Gen1 Legendary Weapons are Unbound, so they can be sold on the Auction house. And while they need to be crafted from a Precursor, and the person that made it, needed to collect the parts and have the crafting ranks, the person that wields it, could have simply bought it. So while they look flashy, they are no in and of their own right a mark of an individuals accomplishment, as again, they could have simply bought it.

In a sense of irony there are people in GW2, that make and sell Gen1 Legendary Weapons for Profit.

Now as I see it, if I want to place value into Earning the Item, it should not be sellable, players should go after said item because THEY want it.

If the item is only sought after to make bank on, then I have zero issues with the Devs fleecing these players in the process, but because of that, they should be fully sellable and the players should be able to make bank on their investment.

Which goes back to my point. If the devs sell content in a fair manner, and the players buy the content to earn the items and rewards the content has to offer, it stands to reason that highly acclaimed items that are a display of effort in that content, should be bound. That is the players reward for THEIR effort, to show that they EARNED it. Similar to Gen2 Legendary Weapons' in GW2.

If the players just want items to resale, Lootboxes are a fine method for them to use to achieve their end goal. However, unlike the BS that GW2 pulls, anything from a Lootbox should be sellable. GW2 pulls some serious hooky crap by making some of the things that come out of a Lootbox bound, and to me, that is Wrong AF. Like that BS they pulled with mount skins, not being able to sell them.

Just my feels tho.
    AlBQuirky

edited December 2020
    What if WoW... in a few short years... will be on it's 20th anniversary.  We can squabble about player count, but it is still really popular.

What if they auctioned an item back in the day of Year 1 of WoW, and it was tradable... only 1 item that was really cool.  How much would it be worth today?
    AlBQuirky
    edited December 2020
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

That way, everyone wins.

1) Their is value in earning the item, and thus the item is a mark of achievement and accomplishment and should not be sellable.

Gen2 Legendary Weapons in GW2. They are account bound, all of it, from the precursor to the legendary itself, the player needs to make every single step of them, this means they need to get the crafting ranks, collect the materials, do the collections, etc, and there is absolutely no way for a player to buy their way past these marks of achievement, at best, they can buy the generic raw mats that are used, like wood, ore, leather, cloth, etc, but, they still need to do all the major parts themselves.

This makes Gen2 Legendary weapons a mark of the players persistence to complete the legendary journey.

On the flip side, Gen1 Legendary Weapons are Unbound, so they can be sold on the Auction house. And while they need to be crafted from a Precursor, and the person that made it, needed to collect the parts and have the crafting ranks, the person that wields it, could have simply bought it. So while they look flashy, they are no in and of their own right a mark of an individuals accomplishment, as again, they could have simply bought it.

In a sense of irony there are people in GW2, that make and sell Gen1 Legendary Weapons for Profit.

Now as I see it, if I want to place value into Earning the Item, it should not be sellable, players should go after said item because THEY want it.

If the item is only sought after to make bank on, then I have zero issues with the Devs fleecing these players in the process, but because of that, they should be fully sellable and the players should be able to make bank on their investment.

Which goes back to my point. If the devs sell content in a fair manner, and the players buy the content to earn the items and rewards the content has to offer, it stands to reason that highly acclaimed items that are a display of effort in that content, should be bound. That is the players reward for THEIR effort, to show that they EARNED it. Similar to Gen2 Legendary Weapons' in GW2.

If the players just want items to resale, Lootboxes are a fine method for them to use to achieve their end goal. However, unlike the BS that GW2 pulls, anything from a Lootbox should be sellable. GW2 pulls some serious hooky crap by making some of the things that come out of a Lootbox bound, and to me, that is Wrong AF. Like that BS they pulled with mount skins, not being able to sell them.

Just my feels tho.
    Sorry, but in my opinion that sort of stuff feels gamey.
    Controlled and contrived. 
    Rather than like a world. 

AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

edited December 2020
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

That way, everyone wins.

Just my feels tho.

Of course it is controlled and gamey, otherwise it would be like the real world, where money talks and everything else is just soggy dog shit.

If you wanted the real world, you would be on board with the Dev's predatory Hardcore P2W mechanics of inset CC for loot, power, and prestige... because that is how the world works.

AlBQuirky

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    What if WoW... in a few short years... will be on it's 20th anniversary.  We can squabble about player count, but it is still really popular.

What if they auctioned an item back in the day of Year 1 of WoW, and it was tradable... only 1 item that was really cool.  How much would it be worth today?
    Well, the OG collector's edition still sells in the thousands of dollars for an unused copy. The pets that came in that are probably still a mark of prestige.
    Btw, does anyone else look at the thread title and think its about game-related makeup?
    AlBQuirky

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Well, the OG collector's edition still sells in the thousands of dollars for an unused copy. The pets that came in that are probably still a mark of prestige.
    Btw, does anyone else look at the thread title and think its about game-related makeup?
    like.. makeup, as in:

AlBQuirky

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Ungood said:

like.. makeup, as in:

*snip
    Yep. It is still called cosmetics, right? Maybe I'm old.
    AlBQuirky

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

edited December 2020
    Ungood said:

like.. makeup, as in:

*snip
    Yep. It is still called cosmetics, right? Maybe I'm old.
    Wait.. I got it now. (post Edited)

Sorta, makeup, is a type of Cosmetic. there are many other kinds of Cosmetics.

In short, Make up is classified as a type of Cosmetic, but Cosmetics are not classified as Makeup.

Here is a great link of common goods that are classified as Cosmetics.

Cosmetic, also simply means to make something attractive.

Definition of cosmetic
     (Entry 1 of 2)
    1: of, relating to, or making for beauty especially of the complexion : BEAUTIFYINGcosmetic salves
    2: done or made for the sake of appearance: such as
    a: correcting defects especially of the facecosmetic surgery
    c: not substantive : SUPERFICIALcosmetic changes
    3: visually appealing
    AlBQuirky

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

That way, everyone wins.

Just my feels tho.

Of course it is controlled and gamey, otherwise it would be like the real world, where money talks and everything else is just soggy dog shit.

If you wanted the real world, you would be on board with the Dev's predatory Hardcore P2W mechanics of inset CC for loot, power, and prestige... because that is how the world works.

I don't want the real world in my games, I want a game that plays like a world. 

AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....