Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Collectibles

coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,886
I recently bought a new house and I will be making a gaming themed "man cave" in there and since I always liked collectibles, especially from Blizz games, I decided to buy my very first one. Specifically, Lilith from Diablo 4. Not because I like that particular character so much, but because the collectible is really nicely crafted and simply looks amazing, in my opinion. I put a picture below.

It made me wonder what pieces or collections do you guys have. I think there is a decent likelihood that there are some people with beautiful collections visiting this site.

Anyone willing to share? :)

Core

AmatheAmarantharAlBQuirkyTorvalYashaXCryomatrix

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,151
    edited November 21
    I don't collect things because when I was young I used to collect stamps and made the terrible mistake of taking it to my local swim club to show my friends and it was stolen. My uncle had passed on his collection to me and I was heartbroken I had lost his years of collecting too. I could never bring myself to ever collect anything ever again.

I am sorry to dampen your topic with a sad tale but let me brighten it up by asking if you have read Simon Green's take on Lilith in his Nightside series of books. 'Sharper than a Serpent's Truth' in particular. I think he made her so very human.
    coretex666AmatheAlBQuirkyCryomatrix

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,886
    kitarad said:
    I don't collect things because when I was young I used to collect stamps and made the terrible mistake of taking it to my local swim club to show my friends and it was stolen. My uncle had passed on his collection to me and I was heartbroken I had lost his years of collecting too. I could never bring myself to ever collect anything ever again.

I am sorry to dampen your topic with a sad tale but let me brighten it up by asking if you have read Simon Green's take on Lilith in his Nightside series of books. 'Sharper than a Serpent's Truth' in particular. I think he made her so very human.
    No need to apologize, mate. Sad to hear that story. These things happen to all of us, unfortunately.

I have not read it, but thanks for the tip. I will look into it.
  • remsleepremsleep Member EpicPosts: 1,120
    I used to have a ton of collectibles - like hundreds of them - it was to the point where it became ridiculous.

Over the last 20 years I've thrown away so many collectibles - like hundreds, I just came to realization that it's just fucking clutter I don't need in my life.

I kept the handful of ones I had signed by the devs, but have even put those away in the last year.

I just find much more peace in as few things as possible in my work space now.
    Amathecoretex666tzervoAlBQuirkyCryomatrix
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,556
    When I was a kid I had this promotional stamp book where you collect NFL player stickers. For months I had my Dad take me places that gave out stickers. Finally I completed the book - every player, every team - and took it to school to show off my prized possession.

During the day I had to go pee and took the book with me so no one could steal it. The urinals were occupied so i went into a stall and put the sticker book on top of the tank while I relieved myself.

That is when the book fell into the toilet. My sticker book that I prized so much was in the toilet. Worse, I had started to pee and could not stop. So there I was, peeing on my sticker book. Plus my tears as I kept saying "oh no."

So I hate collectables. But your Lilith statue is cool.

coretex666remsleeptzervoAlBQuirkykitaradUngoodCryomatrix

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,129
    First off Blizz copied EQ2 with the collectible ideas,Blizzard is pretty much a copy cat developer.Those character type collectibles was already also done in FFXi,i have several.
    Does it diminish Blizzard's attempt no not really just saying credit deserves to be put where it belongs and NOT in Blizzard's house.

To answer the question,YES I think I could accurately say that 95+% of gamers love collectibles including myself.
    The first real COOL thing I witnessed over the years was the Aquarium idea in EQ2 and further use of GLASS and ICE surfaces.

It is really too bad that Smedley ruined so much that was great from the SOE brands,a serious shame even to the point he ruined the hopes and dreams of many that wanted EQNext to be a thing.
    Point being that ONE person at the top of the food chain can make quite a difference for a gaming business.
    Amathe

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,129
    This topic really made me think about the people that come up with the GOOD ideas we have in our games.
    Often it is the big shot,top exec that loves to take all the credit and get paid big bonuses but we never really hear who is responsible for these good ideas.

You know we always hear MANY times some new studio and some person worked on this game or that game leading us to THINK we should give that particular person some credit for something from those games but we really do not know what these people did at all.
    So yeah this is something I truly would like to know,who comes up with these good ideas and why are they never given credit.
    If memory serves me,the ONLY time I have ever heard of a studio employee being given accolades for actual work done was the artist from Arena.net...Diucu or something was his name,maybe I am way off with the name but the memory does serve me as the only person I remember.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,954
    I don't have the gene that inclines me towards collect expensive, dust-gathering junk.
    AlBQuirky
    Amathe said:
    When I was a kid I had this promotional stamp book where you collect NFL player stickers. For months I had my Dad take me places that gave out stickers. Finally I completed the book - every player, every team - and took it to school to show off my prized possession.

During the day I had to go pee and took the book with me so no one could steal it. The urinals were occupied so i went into a stall and put the sticker book on top of the tank while I relieved myself.

That is when the book fell into the toilet. My sticker book that I prized so much was in the toilet. Worse, I had started to pee and could not stop. So there I was, peeing on my sticker book. Plus my tears as I kept saying "oh no."

Its probably a rather sad story, but it did make me laugh a little (sorry) :)

Amathetzervo
    edited November 21
    Dibdabs said:
    I don't have the gene that inclines me towards collect expensive, dust-gathering junk.
    Interesting perspective.

Do you have only practical / functional items at your house? I mean, you dont have a single item that only serves a decorative purpose? I am not a big collector myself and most of my items do serve some practical purpose, but I can still appreciate a good craft. 
    Post edited by coretex666 on
    AlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 4,522
    I play table top games, if I ever got a man cave, I have piles of minis, books, and other assorted gaming stuff to cover the shelves with.
    coretex666AlBQuirkyAmathe
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Have always been a collector of Superman and Star Wars stuff. I certainly don't have the greatest collection, but what I do have is personal to me.  As I've gotten older, I've also curtailed the buying of more items.   I do understand the whole design of the man cave because about 10 years back, I had more than enough to fill up my man cave.  
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,713
    I don't specifically collect stuff just to have it, but I do like having a collection of stuff that I use.

There are only really three things I collect and display:

DVDs / Blu-rays - mostly just a by-product of wanting to watch films, but I have a few hundred of them on a nice set of shelves.

Books - again, a by-product of enjoying reading but i love my book collection and add a few more every month. mostly fantasy books, with a decent sci-fi section and a more practical section too.

Warhammer 40k - I love the lore and the looks, plus im pretty proud of some of my painting (even though it isn't that great). Got a smallish display case with my best stuff in it.

Unfortunately i only rent my place so can't really do much to the place, I can't wait until I get my own house and can install floor-to-ceiling book cases and get everything displayed properly! I take weird pleasure from organising my collections, sorting into genre then orders.

For example, my DVD collection is roughly sorted into TV series, sci-fi + fantasy, comedy, then action, then random. Within the sci-fi and fantasy section, I order it "chronologically" by time period the film is set in. So, it starts off with LotR, moving through middle-ages / viking, into modern day superhero films then off into the future. Makes it really easy to find films, love thinking to myself "ah, I really fancy some awesome far-future sci-fi" and then having all those films next to each other on the shelf.
    coretex666AlBQuirky
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,067
    Video game collector's editions often have great stuff for this purpose. Some of my personal favorites from my collection are the Assassin's Creed statues from 2, 3 and 4. The Diablo 3 head with usb soulstone. The quiver and map from LoTR War in the North. Batman statue from DCUO. The chests from Borderlands 2 and 3. Numerous artbooks. Marvel Legends, Gundams and various Lego sets for good measure.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,250
    The only gaming collectible I have is the cloth map from Ultima Online. 

I'm not much of a collector, per say, but I do have a few items from over the years. 
    - I have my dad's flight log from WWII and his wings. 
    - I have about 100 letters from an old time wealthy family in my home town. They owned a brewery that was shut down in prohibition and then went under. The last of the family died years ago and the old mansion stood unused for many years, but when it was going to be torn down people were allowed to go in and salvage anything they wanted. 
    Best items was the chandelier, hand crafted and imported from Germany. But someone took that right away. I found the letters and took them, still have them, but will soon donate them to our county museum. Interesting reading, and a few collectible post cards in there. Nothing of great value though. 
    - I ran across a NY Times edition with the first report Lindbergh baby kidnapping. Besides that story, I found the advertisements very interesting. Those old days were something else. There was even a story about a young man who was in deep trouble for being caught behind a hey stack with a young lady, and they didn't know what to do with him. lol 
    - Finally, I have a set of wine glasses from a world famous glass company, from a town that at that time many years ago was known as the "glass capital of the world." No one outside of the locals would know the name anymore. 

So I don't have much, but what I do have has a story. 
    coretex666AlBQuirkycameltosis

Once upon a time....

edited November 21
    The only gaming collectible I have is the cloth map from Ultima Online. 

I'm not much of a collector, per say, but I do have a few items from over the years. 
    - I have my dad's flight log from WWII and his wings. 
    - I have about 100 letters from an old time wealthy family in my home town. They owned a brewery that was shut down in prohibition and then went under. The last of the family died years ago and the old mansion stood unused for many years, but when it was going to be torn down people were allowed to go in and salvage anything they wanted. 
    Best items was the chandelier, hand crafted and imported from Germany. But someone took that right away. I found the letters and took them, still have them, but will soon donate them to our county museum. Interesting reading, and a few collectible post cards in there. Nothing of great value though. 
    - I ran across a NY Times edition with the first report Lindbergh baby kidnapping. Besides that story, I found the advertisements very interesting. Those old days were something else. There was even a story about a young man who was in deep trouble for being caught behind a hey stack with a young lady, and they didn't know what to do with him. lol 
    - Finally, I have a set of wine glasses from a world famous glass company, from a town that at that time many years ago was known as the "glass capital of the world." No one outside of the locals would know the name anymore. 

So I don't have much, but what I do have has a story. 
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

The rest of the guys as well, good stuff.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,862
    I used to collect every version of Shakespeares’ Sonnets translated in Dutch. I own a very rare copy from 1928 of which only 250 have been printed. I also own every other Dutch translation ever made up until 2005 or so.

As for games, I never did collectibles. I used to rock a huge Sega Saturn collection which I sold for roughly 4k a few years back and have been purchasing less and less physical stuff through the years. I even dumped my huge beastly PC for an insanely overpriced gaming laptop. I want less.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    coretex666AlBQuirkyTorvalAmathe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,425
    Collectibles... Lost of directions to go here :)

Amanthe, I may recall a similar stamp book. I traded for one from a childhood friend. It was from a gas station, if I recall correctly. I also collected sports cards as a kid with an occasional foray into some hot movie or TV show like Planet of the Apes or Monster Movie cards.

Later, I was involved with Magic: the Gathering. You know... the collectible card game :) I really did not collect, but my friend was serious about it. I mainly looked for cards that I wanted to use :)

Then there are collections within games, MMOs in particular. I like collecting there but don't have any driveto "get 'em all." Pokemon passed me by...

Now, I just collect dust bunnies and lint :lol:
    Amathecoretex666

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,297
    Not much of a collector. I have Traveller and D&D books from decades ago, but that's about it. Like Lahnmir, I also want less stuff.

Our house seems to collect stuff right and left and it's an effort to get rid of things. I found boxes with gaming and software disks from years ago. I'm keeping the 3 Guild Wars Trilogy disks and a couple of the D&D games, but getting rid of most of them. Not sure why I kept the Windows 3.11 For Workgroups disks, or any of the old software. I don't even have a CD/BD-ROM drive hooked up to my computers anymore, let alone 3.5 or 5.25 inch floppy drives.

In Fallout 76 I collect comics, magazines, and bobbleheads. Those are consumables you can use to buff or display in your CAMP (house).

That said, the D3 figurine is very cool and looks rad. If I were building a gaming man-cave I'd decorate it with cool stuff like that. I think you're off to a great start.
    coretex666AmatheAlBQuirky
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• lcdsoundsystemlcdsoundsystem Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    Does anyone know how to create a new discussion? I don't see any way to do this.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,745
    Does anyone know how to create a new discussion? I don't see any way to do this.
    You have to click on a specific form. So if you click "categories" above, that will take you to the forum "categories" page, then scroll down to "General Discussion" and select a category which suits your topic, eg "The Pub at MMORPG.COM". Once you do that you should see a big "New Discussion" button. Click that and you are good to go.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,425
    edited November 23
    YashaX said:
    You have to click on a specific form. So if you click "categories" above, that will take you to the forum "categories" page, then scroll down to "General Discussion" and select a category which suits your topic, eg "The Pub at MMORPG.COM". Once you do that you should see a big "New Discussion" button. Click that and you are good to go.
    There is also a minimum post count needed. I think it is 5 :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 4,522
    Amathe said:

THAT.. THAT had to suck! 

I felt really bad for you reading that.

I mean, while I lost a lot of my old school D&D books and CCG stuff to a flood, I cannot imagine looking at some prized sticker book and pissing on it in a toilet, just crying on yourself as it was unfolding.

Wow.. I wanna give you a man hug and say I know that feel bro.
    AmatheAlBQuirkykitarad
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,047
    @original poster

Awesome thread. The piece looks great. I bought a new house just now and sold my house. Going to 20% less space with 20% more the price . . . the joys of living in Southern California and moving closer to LA and SD. 

I want to build a lego city with my son but I do get that it becomes clutter after awhile. Since, we have a 6 month old, I have to stop the collecting till she hits a good age to not put stuff in her mouth. But when it happens, I am going to spend a few thousand and build a nice lego city. I also told my wife, in 5-7 years, I'm moving to another house with a man cave so I can decorate it. 

I kind of like collectibles but I do realize that over time, they take up space and they lose their utility while they gain sentimental value. The key is to find something that is collectible and GAINS VALUE over time. 

That's why the super rich buy these vintage cars, they gain value yearly and then they sell it after displaying them. 

Go to this streamer and you can see his collectible collection in the background "Wardii". He is a starcraft 2 caster and just look at it for a second to see his collectibles. 

Blizzard sells a bunch of collectibles but I was on there the other day and i noticed they outsource a lot of their stuff, try to find the original website. Also, look online for some awesome man cave ideas. 

https://www.blizzardgearstore.com/?query=statues & replicas&_ref=p-OLP:m-TYPEAHEAD:i-r-0c-0:po-0

Finally, I do dream of a man cave, my problem is, the layout and decoration may be too eclectic to make it work. I like legos, i like video games, I like sports, I like medieval weaponry, I like cars . . . not sure how to choose the proper man cave. 

They also paint their statues using  Level52 Studios, so you can google that link and see what else they offer. 

coretex666UngoodAmathekitaradAlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,955
    Congratulations on the new space and the "man cave." You deserve it!

The piece looks great so I'm sure it will be a highlight.

I personally don't do collectibles even though some of them look amazing. I'm more interested in actual art and have several pieces of sculpture in my space (one that's a 50 lb marble piece with bronze clothing, it's amazing)

I do have a weakness for vintage movie posters and have purchased several for framing.

Otherwise if I did "do" video game collectibles I'd probably go the way you did and get a significant piece.

Ungoodcoretex666AmatheAlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,250
    edited November 26
    Sovrath said:
    Congratulations on the new space and the "man cave." You deserve it!

The piece looks great so I'm sure it will be a highlight.

I personally don't do collectibles even though some of them look amazing. I'm more interested in actual art and have several pieces of sculpture in my space (one that's a 50 lb marble piece with bronze clothing, it's amazing)

I do have a weakness for vintage movie posters and have purchased several for framing.

Otherwise if I did "do" video game collectibles I'd probably go the way you did and get a significant piece.

That marble piece sounds very special. That's some real art, when a creator can do that. 

I always wanted a large library with that sort of art sprinkled into it. Raised panel wood walls and all. But I probably will never see that. Pretty expensive for something like... 

I' might be able to swing it some day if I attach that to a mini-house. LOL
    Amathecoretex666AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....