Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have your gaming chops ever been tested by youngsters?

TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
edited November 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Been gaming since pong...

I remember going to see a movie with my wife and there was a new version of Street Fighter... that all the kids were huddled around.  One kid dominating...

The next kid was in line to play him, but I said I'd pay for his game if I could skip ahead (I whipped ass on original Street Fighter II).  All the kids around chuckled to see this old guy get beat... 

It was close, but blocks, especially throws, and strategetic hits always win.  They were shocked... I won twice more against the kid... before giving my game over to see the movie.

I played Madden Football like crazy as a kid, now I play  a new version once a year (on Thanksgiving) vs my teenage nephew.  Barely know the new controls and mechanics (they change every year...  but if it has wheels and a gas pedal, I can drive it.).  Win every year.

Don't get me started on fortnight!

Anybody get disrespected from younger gamers, and have to Mr. Miyagi them? :D
AmatheAlBQuirkyAsm0deusHawkaya399bcbully

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I was never a great gamer to start with, so..... 
    TwistedSister77HatefullAlBQuirkyTheocritus
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Even younger kids beat the kids who kick my aas. 
    AlBQuirkyUngood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    It is fun taking the smug off kids who think they are the best at gaming because they are young and play more. I also have been schooled a few times as well. 
    AlBQuirkyUngoodAsm0deusTwistedSister77Amathe
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Does 1 year younger count as "kid?" My good friend regularly beat in our LAN Doom games :lol:

I was never much for competition in video games, so getting beat, or beating others never factored in for me :)

High scores, however were fair game! (Never got my initials on screen, either...)
    UngoodAsm0deusAmatheTwistedSister77

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited November 2020
    I have always found it to be a give and take regardless of age or how competitive you are.

I game with my boy and sometimes I have trouble with something, some section of a game I am playing and get all like frak this !?#$ and ask my boy to come try where he invariably does what I was struggling with and is all like that was easy dad..and he proceeds to explain what I was doing wrong...lol

On other occasions he will have trouble in some game and ask me to have a look or google it in which I invariably sit down at his PC do it for him and say see wasn't that bad if a little tricky! 

Sometimes I tell him just take a break for 15 or 20 mins and try again and that works sometimes too.

AlBQuirkyHawkaya399

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    When I play with younger people it is always something action oriented and I get mercilessly crushed, along with occasional applications of salt afterward to see if the wound is still open.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited November 2020
    *skip*

Anybody get disrespected from younger gamers, and have to Mr. Miyagi them? :D

Unfortunatley i thnk theyr'e the ones schooling me. The only thing I seem to do better is tolerate repeated defeat in ffa pvp environment, since that's what I did for so many years. Maybe I have more patience. Otherwise I don't feel like I have much going for me as a player.

My big moment was in grade school. I finished the topgun arcade game on handful of quarters, wowing a few of my classmates who died so quickly. For me it was satisfying because I was the class dork most everyone made fun of. However I had played it before, so I knew a couple tricks they didn't. It's the only arcade game I've ever finished, or played much. I did get on a couple high scores in racing games, but those were refreshed periodically so I don't attach much meaning to it.
    TwistedSister77AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited November 2020
    Depends on the platform, I showed the youngsters in R6S a thing or two earlier this year, but my reaction time is just not what it used to be. Either that or the kids today are so hyped up on sugar they are faster than we used to be...just keep telling yourself that.

I have never really got into the games TwistedSister was talking about, beat-erm-ups is console territory. Even back in my pre-home computer arcade days they were not a favourite.

I did once play Tomb Raider with an old g/f's kid and his mate, what I did not realise was this was going to be on a console. After telling them about how much I knew about that series I was shocked to see the controller. I straight up admitted this was going to be the worse example of play they had seen. They had to show me what buttons to press, poor old Lara was all over the place, I then let them show me how those funny controller things are meant to be used. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
    AlBQuirky