Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online Hosts Q&A, Talks Gundabad Delay, River Hobbits an

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageExecutive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online Hosts Q&A, Talks Gundabad Delay, River Hobbits and More | MMORPG.com

The LotRO community was able to ask questions directly of the developers at Standing Stone Games today thanks to an hour-long live Q&A hosted on Twitch by the Executive Producer Rob "Severlin" Ciccolini. This wasn't a simple one either, as Severlin fielded questions from everything such as the upcoming Gundabad expansion, PvMP changes to plans about upcoming races, such as River Hobbits.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DeathleecherDeathleecher Member UncommonPosts: 89
    tbh River hobbits, sound so boring.

and how about making the game up to 2020 standard, update the graphics,
    FTrunks21McGamer
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Ctrl-G

"graphics"
    "animation"
    "UI improvement"

0/0

Browser back button ...

McGamer
  • MD24MD24 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    according to https://steamcharts.com/app/212500. the average player per month about 700-800, this number has not increased and has not decreased since 5 years ago.

As a 13 years lotro player, I can tell the half of 700 players have multiple accounts running at the same time.

I am still playing this game, but only about 1 hour a day , as soon as done the dailies, I log off, I prefer to spend time in other games instead of this lack of new content lotro.

btw, promoting player run event won't help lotro to keep old players and attrack new players.
    McGamer
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited November 2020
    Another class that has nothing to do with lore, the Brawler is just another pick up from the likes of many other MMOs that have one. Yes there is a Valar known for wrestling, but you don't get the peoples of middle earth using it when fighting someone with a sword. Also this is wrestling not boxing or kick boxing, who thinks this class is actually going to do wrestling moves?

I should point out that The Silmarillion is not the only book that the Valar are mentioned in and the class will brawl not wrestle; so not sure how there could be a rights issue?

But they are still doing decent content releases, just not at the speed they once released them, that's the main thing.
    Ungood
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

MD24 said:

according to https://steamcharts.com/app/212500. the average player per month about 700-800, this number has not increased and has not decreased since 5 years ago.

As a 13 years lotro player, I can tell the half of 700 players have multiple accounts running at the same time.

I am still playing this game, but only about 1 hour a day , as soon as done the dailies, I log off, I prefer to spend time in other games instead of this lack of new content lotro.

btw, promoting player run event won't help lotro to keep old players and attrack new players.

I'm sure the population is low but it's probably more than that considering that a good amount of people were playing prior to this game being offered on Steam.

They are most likely using the LOTRO launcher.

"I" use it on steam as have issues using the LOTRO launcher.

I suspect that no one can tell that half the players are using multiple accounts unless you know half the people.
    [Deleted User]McGamer
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558

Sovrath said:

MD24 said:

I'm sure the population is low but it's probably more than that considering that a good amount of people were playing prior to this game being offered on Steam.

They are most likely using the LOTRO launcher.

"I" use it on steam as have issues using the LOTRO launcher.

I suspect that no one can tell that half the players are using multiple accounts unless you know half the people.

I use the LotRO launcher personally, and I know plenty who also use it over Steam. So while the Steam numbers are a good start, they are not the full picture, unfortunately. Standing Stone Games isn't going to publish numbers I don't think, but it's definitely worth us asking that next time we speak to them.
    [Deleted User]McGamerSovrath
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I have gone back a few times over the years because I love LotR but as much as I want to, I just didnt enjoy the game. Its sad to see such a beloved IP not retaining players. I hope they turn it around. 
    McGamer
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I played Lotro since Alpha testing and it hasn't been worth playing anymore since the 'Rise of Isengard' expansion when they turned the game into a F2P cash-grab. Until the devs change their cash shop, it isn't ever worth returning to that game unfortunately.

I would rather wait for the Tolkien MMO that Amazon Game Studios is working on currently.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Nanfoodle said:

I have gone back a few times over the years because I love LotR but as much as I want to, I just didnt enjoy the game. Its sad to see such a beloved IP not retaining players. I hope they turn it around. 

That's because just using Lord of the Rings is not enough to retain players. There have been 1-2 Android Lord of the Rings games, they were so trash they got shut down. Just because it says Lord of the Rings, it doesn't make it good. Part of LOTRO players are blinded by nostalgia, just like Vanilla WoW players and fail to see that LOTRO was just a cheap WoW clone that was already outdated when it released in 2007. The problem is that WoW was good for a few years before it went bad, LOTRO was always medioce and only got worse, now it's almost unplayable.

I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan and you can't make me play LOTRO because of how bad it is.
    ircaddicts
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Truth be told, I tend to avoid games that have an IP I really like, until it has been out for a bit, and has good reviews.

Too many times, a game company will make a trash game and expect the IP to carry them.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The game has an unreal amount of content.

For a new player without any memory of what it was like before this game can provide thousands of hours of entertainment in a world that IMO really feels like middle-earth. The community is amazing as well and there's an active economy. There's class diversity and for me it feels sandboxy even though it's a quest hub game because you CAN level up just by grinding and get rich while doing it. Feeling bored in one area? go to another and grind the shit outta there then move to the next.

It IS real money expensive but IMO you really get what you pay for. I'm glad these devs don't pussyfoot around asking for money with BS tactics like other companies do with things like battle pass aka reworked/reformatted sub. They ask people for how much they want/need and what you get in return for the upfront cost. I respect that over tippy toe behavior.
    Sovrathircaddicts