Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel's Avengers Dev Acknowledges Lackluster Launch, Outlines Pandemic Hurdles | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMarvel's Avengers Dev Acknowledges Lackluster Launch, Outlines Pandemic Hurdles | MMORPG.com

Most people that have played Marvel's Avengers at launch, are probably sitting around, twiddling their thumbs while they await an iota of new content worth playing to hit the game. In a few lengthy developer responses on reddit by war zone director Phil Therien, details emerged about what is being worked on, and some challenges the team faced

Read the full story here

Comments

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Funny basically what I got from that is there's a couple small things coming out but won't be for a while and any content will be rehashed assets and gameplay. So basically won't see much for this game for awhile. Glad I didn't buy into this one
    meerclarMustikosHidekiNomura
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

this is such bull crap, 100% . These developers of many studios been working from home for decades, and to pretend a mysterious virus is causing problems is redundant. Who are they trying to fool ? seems like themselves at this point.

What they see is no payment on actual physical working location and all that extra cheddar is going straight to the big cheeses on the top floor of virtual building.

So true but it doesnt stop with them. Bad customer service? Covid, delays in anything? Covid. Prices high? Covid! Its sad

What they should be saying is, we have a lack of content, no clear direction and a plan of rehashing content and pretending its new! Lets face it when a 6yo is complaining that everything is the same over and over.. something is wrong!
    [Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Imagine having to rely on Hawkeye and I Can't Believe it's not Hawkeye to save your game, and then delaying that pittance!
    maskedweasel
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited November 2020

this is such bull crap, 100% . These developers of many studios been working from home for decades, and to pretend a mysterious virus is causing problems is redundant. Who are they trying to fool ? seems like themselves at this point.

What they see is no payment on actual physical working location and all that extra cheddar is going straight to the big cheeses on the top floor of virtual building.

I don't think it's bullcrap. What's bullcrap is that Square Enix announce a launch date long before they should have. I'm not saying the devs didn't mess up as well, but honestly that team wasn't experienced in a GAAS. Marvel also is very hands on with their games and definitely can cause developers issues.

In the end it's up to the publisher to make the right decision in terms of releasing a game. Releasing it when they did guaranteed there would be tons of issues. Publishers usually do this when they don't have faith in the game to delay it any further and incur more development costs.

Square should know better after their experiences with FF14. I don't think they can save this game without adding tons of new enemy/boss types and zones. New heroes won't fix anything until that is done.
    [Deleted User]
    With how bad the last Tomb Raider flopped, it's amazing that Crystal Dynamics is still a thing.

They won't be for long.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Ah, COVID, the gaming industry's get-out-of-failure-free card for the foreseeable future. How many failed crowdfunded games are going to use this excuse, I wonder? Sure, they were floundering after five, six, seven years in development, but the pandemic is the real cause of failure. Totally out of their control, of course.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]HidekiNomura
  • NkaelNkael Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Can We have a show of hands that work in the industry? Ok, so how many of those with their hands up live in California? the rest put your hands down.

Those with your hands up, I am sorry for the pressure and stress you are under. I am sorry for all the increased stress the community has put on you over the last few months.

The game indisputably wasn't fully cooked on release. That sucks. What sucks worse is this toxic, entitled community thinks that stomping their feet and waving their fists at people instead of even making an effort to understand what they have gone and are still going through, is the real tragedy.

Those of you having nothing better to do than bitch and whine, consider yourselves lucky you have that luxury.
    elveoneHidekiNomuraSailorMomAeander
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I played the game and beat it. I was never interested in the online play. For anyone who’s interested in the game at all, I would recommend purchasing it and playing the campaign. It was a fun experience. The online just seemed like it would be dull, and I never had any interest in it. But there’s a solid campaign in the game.

The problem is that they tried to market this as something other than that, and it’s left a lot of players feeling cheated and robbed.

Nkael said:

Can We have a show of hands that work in the industry? Ok, so how many of those with their hands up live in California? the rest put your hands down.

Those with your hands up, I am sorry for the pressure and stress you are under. I am sorry for all the increased stress the community has put on you over the last few months.

The game indisputably wasn't fully cooked on release. That sucks. What sucks worse is this toxic, entitled community thinks that stomping their feet and waving their fists at people instead of even making an effort to understand what they have gone and are still going through, is the real tragedy.

Those of you having nothing better to do than bitch and whine, consider yourselves lucky you have that luxury.

Without those toxic, entitled customers (the ones who actually expect a quality product for their money), those industry members wouldn't have an industry to begin with. They wouldn't have jobs. So yes, it is in their best interests to put out a great product, without excuses. Worst case, delay the game a bit longer. That's the norm now, anyway, and is far preferable to releasing an unfinished product. First impressions and all that.
    maskedweaselmeerclar[Deleted User]TacticalZombehbwwianakievMustikosHidekiNomuraSailorMomAeander
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Nkael said:

Welcome to the forums. 

But to counter your point, the ones complaining about content... you should be thanking them. 

Not because they are whining, or complaining, but they are the ones watching the game. Wanting to come back. Wanting to play. 

Everyone has gone through this pandemic, no industry is safe, and whether you're dealing with it in california along with wildfires, or louisiana and dealing with it in conjunction with hurricanes, or in minnesota dealing with a pandemic and snowstorms, we're all there. 

What is inexcusable is knowing the state the game was in... and launching it anyway. 

Cyberpunk pushed back. World of Warcraft pushed their game back. Most games pushed back releases in some form. 

Crystal Dynamics charged ahead with a half baked end game, and an expectation that the players will geek so hard over Avengers being playable they will look past it. 

96% drop in players and 50 million in losses is a tough lesson to learn. Those whining and wanting more content should be praised for even keeping track of the game and wanting to return. 
    Aeandermeerclar[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

Nkael said:

Welcome to the forums. 

But to counter your point, the ones complaining about content... you should be thanking them. 

Not because they are whining, or complaining, but they are the ones watching the game. Wanting to come back. Wanting to play. 

Everyone has gone through this pandemic, no industry is safe, and whether you're dealing with it in california along with wildfires, or louisiana and dealing with it in conjunction with hurricanes, or in minnesota dealing with a pandemic and snowstorms, we're all there. 

What is inexcusable is knowing the state the game was in... and launching it anyway. 

Cyberpunk pushed back. World of Warcraft pushed their game back. Most games pushed back releases in some form. 

Crystal Dynamics charged ahead with a half baked end game, and an expectation that the players will geek so hard over Avengers being playable they will look past it. 

96% drop in players and 50 million in losses is a tough lesson to learn. Those whining and wanting more content should be praised for even keeping track of the game and wanting to return. 

Yeah, holy shit, this is brutal.

https://steamcharts.com/app/997070#7d
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]elveoneHidekiNomura
  • WrekktWrekkt Member UncommonPosts: 29

Nkael said:

Sounds like someone who shouldn't have a job. Un-employment in CA should cover your rent for about... 36 hours
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The game WAS delayed though... it was supposed to come out in May...

They did push the game back but my guess is they HAD to release cause they were probably burning through too much cash.

I place the blame soley on SE for thinking this company could pull off a project like this. Top tier license requires top tier team you dumb turds.
    HidekiNomura
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,959

Nkael said:

Welcome to the forums! :)

I am sure you realise we are not the official forum for MA, and I doubt the MA staff all come on here every morning. So I see where you are coming from but I doubt we are sending much stress their way.

It is unusual to attack the entire forum community in a first post, but we want passionate and opinionated, so look forward to hearing more from you.
  • akhkharu6akhkharu6 Newbie CommonPosts: 1

Aeander said:

With how bad the last Tomb Raider flopped, it's amazing that Crystal Dynamics is still a thing.

They won't be for long.

Except it was not made by Crystal Dynamics but Eidos-Montréal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider

I also was wondering what the heck they do with the series after 1 and 2 were good. And after reading wikipedia it all made clear ^_^...
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited November 2020
    um... if they think this was about the pandemic, they are sadly mistaken.

we TOLD em this wont work out, they decided to not care. THAT was the only reason this game failed as hard as it did.

we bloody told ya you need loot with actual visual changes to make a looter shooter interesting. they knew exactly we would not like it, and decided the avengers hype has to be sold. nao.

#endofstory.
    momintim

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thane said:
    um... if they think this was about the pandemic, they are sadly mistaken.

we TOLD em this wont work out, they decided to not care. THAT was the only reason this game failed as hard as it did.

we bloody told ya you need loot with actual visual changes to make a looter shooter interesting. they knew exactly we would not like it, and decided the avengers hype has to be sold. nao.

#endofstory.
    Actually, I prefer it this way. I want a look tailored to my preferences and I don't want to look like a patchwork hobo every time I acquire a better piece of gear.

Separating cosmetics from stats is good. Their selection of cosmetics is not good.

Even Anthem was better than this game.
    akhkharu6 said:

Aeander said:

They won't be for long.

Except it was not made by Crystal Dynamics but Eidos-Montréal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider

I also was wondering what the heck they do with the series after 1 and 2 were good. And after reading wikipedia it all made clear ^_^...
    Welcome to the forums! :)

• friendlyfire2018friendlyfire2018 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    And to think, MHO died so this steaming pile of crap could live?
    And to think, MHO died so this steaming pile of crap could live?
    No. MHO died so a thousand shite Marvel mobile gacha games can live.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    well like some people said in another place, at least now they will work on the next DeusX
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I'll say the same thing i mentioned the first time i saw a thread on this game.
    Is it a great game...no of course not.

The problem i have is that all prior super hero games,MAYBE Batman has an argument but most were absolutely horrible,far worse than Avengers and did not take the same criticism,matter of fact i have seen some kissy kissy threads on this site towards s older piles of crap hero games.

So then i had to cringe listen to some obvious shill streamer rave about Spiderman,i was like wtf are looking at the game at all?A pile of VERY cheap looking 2d buildings make up the landscape.Then ht lighting was all the same color for obvious reasons,to lessen the load.None the less ,watching Spidey fling through the air in between dead 2d building structures with very little to see is not exactly an exciting moment.
    Point being if people think Avengers is trash,Spiderman and the rest of them are like a 2/10.

Avengers is like a 5/10 but wtf if you liked all the prior super hero games you should be used to mediocre game design.It just seems like the COOL thing to do to vent all the years of crappy super hero games on one game.

The dev coming clean,well what else is he going to do,start arguing,they already tried that and landed them in more trouble.So now the dev are being humble and just accepting defeat in a market that seems to have no clue what game is better than the other.
    momintim

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Long winded point made short,i don't think ANY of the super hero games are worth playing but if a gun was held to my head and was forced to pick one,it would be Batman or Avengers the rest would't be worth the space in my trash can.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119

Nkael said:

Without those toxic, entitled customers (the ones who actually expect a quality product for their money), those industry members wouldn't have an industry to begin with. They wouldn't have jobs. So yes, it is in their best interests to put out a great product, without excuses. Worst case, delay the game a bit longer. That's the norm now, anyway, and is far preferable to releasing an unfinished product. First impressions and all that.

Exactly! Delay it 5 times if you have to but release something good. Look at CDPR, delayed for the 3rd, 4th time and 99% of the people are cool with it. Sucks waiting but we want something good.
    well like some people said in another place, at least now they will work on the next DeusX
    Remember after the last they said they wanted to do other things, crazy with such a great franchise.