Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time in your MMORPG

2»

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Xodic said:
    This made me think of how deep EverQuest really was. With games today, night is nothing more than what you described, but In EQ the day/night cycle was so much more. So many aspects were tied to time.

The reason I bring it up is because from what I've played in the last few years, time doesn't matter at all. I don't even think I realize that it's day or night, it's just so inconsequential.
    Yep. Older games did it better. UO utilized nighttime as well. Different mobs would come out, areas would be harder to navigate. 

Like you said, new games just don't do it the same way. But I find they just dont care. Its just a system built around getting your money.
    LynxJSAAlBQuirky
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    i like the way Ryzom did it, with a day/night cycle and seasons. And they mean something.

In winter, herds of mobs migrate to new areas; mats to dig up may only be available in a certain season, or when it is raining, or at night.

It should be that a day/night cycle lasts a few hours, or about a regular gaming session.

Kyleran[Deleted User]MendelSovrathAlBQuirky

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    olepi said:
    i like the way Ryzom did it, with a day/night cycle and seasons. And they mean something.

In winter, herds of mobs migrate to new areas; mats to dig up may only be available in a certain season, or when it is raining, or at night.

It should be that a day/night cycle lasts a few hours, or about a regular gaming session.

Ryzom is about the only attempt at real seasons in a game.

But that was primarily about the mobs movement in the world.  The intelligent races (playable races) didn't connect to the world time in the same way.  The mobs were in an eco-system; but the players were disconnected from that same system.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    LynxJSA said:
    Weird, I have no memory of day/night making any difference in lotro!
    From lotro-wiki

Some quests may only be available during certain times of day (or night).
    Various creatures in Middle-earth tend to have different spawn patterns, such as certain trolls only coming out at night.
    In smaller towns, craftspeople not required for quests go to bed (disappear). Towns where this occurs include Duillond and several in the Shire.

I thought it was much more than that but it seems like it's a feature that one could easily never experience or notice it based on their playstyle. 
    That could have been during closed beta.

I remember that sometimes there was a troll on the road to Rivendell. 

I'm sure people complained as it's no longer there.

AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Torval said:
    The trolls in the Trollshaws have all been nerfed to signature grade from elite. So they're very easy to battle. The elites are in quest instances now.
    Yep, trolls still patrol the main road through Trollshaws during nights, just they're now "regular" mobs.
    Back in the days they easily killed players questing there within the level range, so the threat was more real...

The most threat they pose currently is towards chicken runs, they've squashed many adventurous fowls over the years. For anyone stronger than a harmless level 1 chicken, the patrolling trolls are no challenge anymore.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Po_gg said:
    Torval said:
    The trolls in the Trollshaws have all been nerfed to signature grade from elite. So they're very easy to battle. The elites are in quest instances now.
    Yep, trolls still patrol the main road through Trollshaws during nights, just they're now "regular" mobs.
    Back in the days they easily killed players questing there within the level range, so the threat was more real...

The most threat they pose currently is towards chicken runs, they've squashed many adventurous fowls over the years. For anyone stronger than a harmless level 1 chicken, the patrolling trolls are no challenge anymore.

I remember going through the Trollshaws with my Lore-master back in the day. I felt truly powerful mez-root-stunning my way through as a hero not to be trifled with. My hunter.... not so much hahaha. They should rename the zone to the Trolololols. :D
    I went through there with my Loremaster too but when I was very low level and had no business being there :) I just wanted to see Rivendell.

Loved the Trollshaws and the main story chapter there had at least 2 group quests if not 3. Loved those early days.
    AlBQuirkyPo_gg
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED