Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostage situation of somekind at Ubisoft Montreal - LIVE

Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
edited November 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Apparently there is some kind of possible hostage situation at ubisoft Montreal and some people are barricaded on the roof, police are keeping people away and on site.

EDIT: Apparently the police received a call from within the building claiming people were being held hostage.

3:16pm EST Police are currently sweeping the building, reporters seem to think there some signs that there is no danger, no one has been hurt.  Nothing confirmed yet as police still sweeping and securing the building though.

3:23 pm EST Reporters are speculating if it's a case of swatting.  Also it's been confirmed by one person that there are some people that have barricaded themselves inside a conference room or so inside the building, these would be ubisoft employees that were called in today for some reason.

3:33 pm EST some people that were inside the building have been evacuated/are coming out and being loaded into buses, I assume the police will be taking statements from them etc

3:45pm EST the reporter is saying it's been confirmed internally to be a hoax.

4:21pm EST roof is being evacuated

4:23pm EST it's being reported that the initial call stated people were being held for ransom and they wanted 2$ million or they were going to blow up the building or set off explosives.

Live feed(as of 3pm EST):

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Post edited by Asm0deus on
AsheramlaseritUngoodAlBQuirky

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/13/21564296/ubisoft-montreal-hostage-situation

Article says there are other businesses in building and not sure if this is directly related to ubisoft 
    AlBQuirky
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Samhael

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Rhoklaw said:
    Interesting to see that many people working in a non essential commercial building. I thought all gaming companies were working from home still. Sad situation none the less.

Apparently there was like 100 or so people in the building out of a usaul 3000 or so at least that is what is currently being reported.

edited November 2020
    Updated OP, it's looking like it's canular/hoax and possible attempt at swatting.
    AlBQuirky

I hope they find the asshats that made the fake call and make an example of them.

At least the police/swat reacted quickly, calmly and professionally which led to zero trigger happy shootings.....
    AlBQuirky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Asm0deus said:
    I hope they find the asshats that made the fake call and make an example of them.

At least the police/swat reacted quickly, calmly and professionally which led to zero trigger happy shootings.....
    Well, it did happen in Canada....
    AsheramSamhaelAlBQuirkyseraphis79

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Rhoklaw said:
    Interesting to see that many people working in a non essential commercial building. I thought all gaming companies were working from home still. Sad situation none the less.
    My understanding is that Canada lifted the Lockdowns and Quarantine, or so says some of my Canadian friends, and you can just wear a mask and be safe.

AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited November 2020
    Ungood said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    My understanding is that Canada lifted the Lockdowns and Quarantine, or so says some of my Canadian friends, and you can just wear a mask and be safe.

Yes and no we can go out but have to wear a mask but some places are being closed again, it depends on the alert level in your region and travel is restricted also depending on your alert level.

Highest level of alert is 4 I believe:

You can get salty fines (it's like 1500$  per person) if your region is red or alert 4 and you go to another region or get caught going to a buddy for poker night etc

All this if for QC, each province handles things differently.

AlBQuirky

edited November 2020
    4:21 EST Roof being evacuated

Police are having people leave one by one with their hands up since the initial call seems to have come from within the building or so.
    AlBQuirky

Not much new is being said, they are just rehashing what I have posted in the OP so I think this is all for now till the police get done investigating.

AlBQuirky

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited November 2020
    Well I would like to hear from someone about this who can understand French and English.

Can you update us as to what is going on? Also did the hostage takers really say they were going to blow up the building while they were inside it, that's just loopy.
    edited November 2020
    Scot said:
    Well I would like to hear from someone about this who can understand French and English.

Can you update us as to what is going on? Also did the hostage takers really say they were going to blow up the building while they were inside it, that's just loopy.

I speak both and live in QC which is why I posted this. Everything in the OP is what was said first hand on the tva live stream and I even put the time it was said on the live stream.

About the blowing up the building that's what was reported by tva during their coverage, while the police were going through the building floor by floor. However I have not heard the call, tva didn't play it etc, that was made to 911 as I do not think that was made public.

I haven't watched the news much since then but from what I can see there hasn't really been anymore updates. Just different places rehashing/repeating the same things as in the OP.

Right now they are busy covering more covid stuff and how they will handle schools as cases are on the rise and modifying possibly the loi (law) 101 which has to do with preserving the french language in QC through various means.

ScotAlBQuirky

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Ungood said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Safer than not wearing one anyway, provided those around you do likewise. Anyway, I expect that varies with province as health issues are mainly their jurisdiction.
    AlBQuirky
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Asm0deus said:
    Right now they are busy covering more covid stuff and how they will handle schools as cases are on the rise and modifying possibly the loi (law) 101 which has to do with preserving the french language in QC through various means.

Heh, yes through various means, including suppression of the English language.
    AlBQuirky
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Asm0deus said:

Hehe

I make a product for Home Depot’s house brand. Home Depot sends me 3 different boxes for the product. The first box is for the U.S. and is written on with English and Spanish. The second is for Canada and has by law, English and French. The third is for Quebec and is by law French only.
    AlBQuirkyIselin

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited November 2020
    laserit said:
    Asm0deus said:

Hehe

I make a product for Home Depot’s house brand. Home Depot sends me 3 different boxes for the product. The first box is for the U.S. and is written on with English and Spanish. The second is for Canada and has by law, English and French. The third is for Quebec and is by law French only.

That's not very accurate, by law in QC the packaging must be in French but can be in English too.

For example the Dole Mandarin oranges I buy have "DOLE NO SUGAR ADDED Mandarin Oranges" on one side but the other side has "DOLE Sans Sucre ajoute Mandarines".

There is no french only package law for QC most items sold have french and english. However the English language writing cannot be be larger or more prominent than the french writing. Some places incorrectly think the French labeling must have “greater prominence” than the other languages but this isn't so, French has to be equal or greater as seen in the DOLE products and nearly all other foodstuff being sold with bilingual labeling.  For example the link here states french must have greater prominence but it doesn't they got it wrong.  The French writing must be larger or more prominent thing is for "signs" only I believe. 

For example you could not put a huge sign outside that says, "Jack's Brazilian Steakhouse" with a tiny french translation underneath.  You would have to make the sign French primarily with smaller English writing underneath or so.  Obviously trademarked brand names are exempt like for example "McDonalds".

For schools they are difficult as they want immigrants to learn french first so you are not allowed to send your kids to a public english school unless you did more than half your schooling in QC in English school and you are a citizen of Canada.

The big brouhaha is because Montreal is kind of a huge melting pot and is where most newly arrived immigrants to QC settle in so as such french is not really a huge majority anymore in Montreal.

It's to the point lots of store's and restaurants have half arsed service in french if they have any at all which is getting lots of higher ups all worked up as it looks to them like QC is losing it's french.

That's not the case however, Quebec city is almost all french and it's the same out in the country in the small villages.

Montreal may have lost some % wise of french speakers but that normal considering the population make up and concentration of people that have french as a non primary language.

However in the country even villages that were primarily English are now mostly french. As many English people out here marry other bilingual speakers and they often end up sending their kids to french school and too much of that means those kids will eventually lose the right to send their kids to english school. This means french has grown outside of Montreal.

It's a little sad really Ontario recently apologized for some laws they had that made French schools illegal in Ontario, and this was like for 100 years or so, which means all the french communities in Ontario pretty much died out so dunno kind of looks like QC thinks  turnabout is fair play even if they are not outright making English school illegal.

Note all this of for elementary and high schools, once you get to college or uni there's no laws so you can attend english or french ones.

You can get around bill 101 if you send your kids to a private school that is not subsidized by the gov, if the private school is however you will have hoops to jump through which are purposely difficult to navigate.

Post edited by Asm0deus on
    laseritAlBQuirky

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Asm0deus said:
    laserit said:
    Asm0deus said:

Hehe

That's not very accurate, by law in QC the packaging must be in French but can be in English too.

For example the Dole Mandarin oranges I buy have "DOLE NO SUGAR ADDED Mandarin Oranges" on one side but the other side has "DOLE Sans Sucre ajoute Mandarines".

There is no french only package law for QC most items sold have french and english. However the English language writing cannot be be larger or more prominent than the french writing. Some places incorrectly think the French labeling must have “greater prominence” than the other languages but this isn't so, French has to be equal or greater as seen in the DOLE products and nearly all other foodstuff being sold with bilingual labeling.  For example the link here states french must have greater prominence but it doesn't they got it wrong.  The French writing must be larger or more prominent thing is for "signs" only I believe. 

For example you could not put a huge sign outside that says, "Jack's Brazilian Steakhouse" with a tiny french translation underneath.  You would have to make the sign French primarily with smaller English writing underneath or so.  Obviously trademarked brand names are exempt like for example "McDonalds".

For schools they are difficult as they want immigrants to learn french first so you are not allowed to send your kids to a public english school unless you did more than half you schooling in QC in and English school and you are a citizen of Canada.

The big brouhaha is because Montreal is kind of a huge melting pot and is where most newly arrived immigrants to QC settle in so as such french is not really a huge majority anymore in Montreal.

It's to the point lots of store and restaurants have half asses service in french if they have any at all which is getting lots of higher up all worked up as it looks to them like QC is losing it's french.

That's not the case however, Quebec city is almost all french and it's the same out in the country in the small villages.

Montreal may have lost some % wise of french speakers but that normal considering the population make up and concentration of people that have french as a non primary language.

However in the country even villages that were primarily English are now mostly french. As many English people out here marry other bilingual speakers and they often end up sending their kids to french school and too much of that means those kids will eventually lose the right to send their kids to english school. This means french has grown outside of Montreal.

It's a little sad really Ontario recently apologized for some laws they had that made French schools illegal in Ontario, and this was like for 100 years or so, which means all the french communities in Ontario pretty much died out so dunno kind of looks like QC thinks  turnabout is fair play even if they are not outright making English school illegal.

Note all this of for elementary and high schools, once you get to college or uni there's no laws so you can attend english or french ones.

You can get around bill 101 if you send your kids to a private school that is not subsidized by the gov, if the private school is however you will have hoops to jump through which are purposely difficult to navigate.

Very informative
    AlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Has anything more transpired here, yet? I'm curious :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    AlBQuirky said:
    It was a hoax 911 phone call to the police saying there was a hostage situation on ubisoft montreal. btw this was a week ago, they got swatted by the caller, and the police are investigating who made the call.
    AlBQuirky
    AlBQuirky said:

Nothing new I can see, no updates.  Last thing I see on tvanouvelles is the same rehash as in OP.
    AlBQuirky