Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft x Secret Lab Titan Gaming Chair Review | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft x Secret Lab Titan Gaming Chair Review | MMORPG.com

Secret Lab has teamed up with Activision Blizzard for some exceptionally cool WoW-themed gaming chairs. How do they stack up? Find out in our review!

Read the full story here

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Cat must be thinking, awesome new scratching post.
    [Deleted User]Iselinkitarad

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Just wondering if you got paid for this review?
    darkhearts
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

I hope so, no one should have to work for free.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What if you play both Alliance and Horde? Do you need 2?
    xpsync
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I did not! I just got to keep the chair :) Which I'm totally fine with-I love it.
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
    Iselin said:
    What if you play both Alliance and Horde? Do you need 2?
    My boyfriend and I have had that exact conversation. I'd like to have both just for the aesthetic! He's a pretty devout Horde player, but he's also super tall. Unfortunately, these chairs don't come in a Titan XL like the rest of their lineup :(
    Iselin
    Amathe said:
    Cat must be thinking, awesome new scratching post.
    Thank goodness for the long warranty!

Straven said:

I purchased one of these chairs a few months ago, they look great, but that's about it.

Yes you need a long warranty a very long warranty considering the PU armrests seem to prolapse and split within a few weeks of use, not to mention you feel like your sitting on concrete, oh and the rocking motion when you change position in your chair.

Did your chair smell like the chair had been packed in dead fish? Did it take about three weeks for the smell to dissipate from your home? NO? I guess I got unlucky then.

But who gives a toss when you get a free chair for a positive review, or an extended warranty for a few nice pictures and positive comments.

I only wish I had seen all the negative comments regarding these chairs before purchasing one.

ONE little bit of advice, DO NOT GET RID OF THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING, or you might just get to view the video they show you on how to disassemble the chair to return it, so far it has 22K views ............ that's right 22 thousand views.

Once in a blue moon you may encounter a problem with their chairs it is claimed by the company. It's fair to assume that the unlucky person who had that once in a blue moon faulty chair had the video replaying over and over again?

I bet I don't get a free chair lol, but at least if someone is not fooled into buying one then that's fine.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience! Did you get the Omega version? Granted there shouldn't be THAT much of a difference between the Omega and Titan quality, but just curious. And it wasn't a free chair = positive review. :) It was just a chair for a review. We don't guarantee positive reviews- it just turned out that I really, really enjoyed this one and had a great experience. I probably would have given it a perfect score if it the price hadn't been so high and the wheels were generic. Even with the great quality I experienced, I don't know that that makes up for tacking on an extra $300. Maybe $150? But definitely not $300, which is why took off a 'star'.

I didn't actually experience any of the complaints you had above, but if you did I really really hope you got your money back eventually! That's craziness. I also think I had the chair for about three weeks or so before the review went up today, and my armrests are holding up fine. If yours were splitting something was definitely freaking wrong. With the amount of problems you had, it doesn't sound like just a quality assurance problem, either. :(
    @Straven As an aside, thank you for calling the pictures nice! I was kind of self-conscious about them. I don't have a fancy gaming space yet, so my pictures tend to be kind of generic. But I'm working on that! Here's to hoping I can spot some good deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
    Straven said:
    It's the same chair, a Titan 2020 edition but not the WOW design, looks great like I said but that's about it.

Please don't take the comments personally, it's just I've read a lot of reviews and comments lately on different sites.

People buy these products after reading reviews. I just wish I had done a little more research and dug a little deeper before I bought mine.
    No, no, not at all, that's what the comment section is for! I seriously appreciate your input. This was my first Secretlab chair, so I'm really shocked to hear that our experiences were so different. You said you got yours this year but a couple of months ago, right? It kind of seems like everything went down quality-wise when Covid hit, but that's still no excuse for the terrible quality you received. Especially when the chairs are this pricey.  :s 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    PRIME PU leather now that makes me laugh.It is PLASTIC not leather.
    They used to add in lower back cushions,must be cutting back on costs from those already cheap to make Chinese chairs.

Plastic covered plastic arm rests lol.

Non breathable material=good luck on hot days.They talk/brag about being tested versus sweat and moisture except that sweat and moisture will stay with you the entire time.

DARK SECRETS? PU leather manufacturing involves highly toxic materials put forth into the environment.Non bio degradable and not recycled.
    Bottom line,gaming chairs are cheap piles of junk made in China that have managed to create their own niche over priced market and are NEVER a 9/10 versus a true comfort posturepedic/message chair.
    One might argue oh but those REAL good quality chairs costs thousands of dollars,YES they do and for good reason,they are true 9/10 chairs NOT THESE.

These chairs are 30-150 dollar chairs.A typical DX Racer is a $50 chair jacked up in price because of added middle men.These chairs would be in the $150 range..maybe and even likely several dollars less.So on average looking over the pricing of gaming chairs a 300% markup,quite the lucrative business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

PRIME PU leather now that makes me laugh.It is PLASTIC not leather.

They used to add in lower back cushions,must be cutting back on costs from those already cheap to make Chinese chairs.

The Omega version still has it! The Titan is integrated, so you can just twist a little knob to increase the support.

Do you have any suggestions for some other chairs to try or some you'd like to see? I have actually been talking to Chris about doing a segment where we look for more cost-efficient and consumer-friendly tech (mice/keyboards/etc), and I can probably wiggle in some posturepedic chairs if folks would be interested in seeing those. Typically they don't reach out to us since it has a wider audience range and isn't "specific" to gamers, but I think folks would appreciate seeing them nonetheless. I like to have furniture that can double for both work and play since I'm working remotely now.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Straven said:

Did your chair smell like the chair had been packed in dead fish? Did it take about three weeks for the smell to dissipate from your home? NO? I guess I got unlucky then.

They don't call it PU for nothing
    Jensyn
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    edited November 2020

Straven said:

It's the same chair, a Titan 2020 edition but not the WOW design, looks great like I said but that's about it.

Please don't take the comments personally, it's just I've read a lot of reviews and comments lately on different sites.

People buy these products after reading reviews. I just wish I had done a little more research and dug a little deeper before I bought mine.

Says not to take the comments personally, while also implying that the post written was only written and scored because the chair was provided by the manufacturer. You can't call someone's ethics into question and then casually say 'don't take it personally'.

Believe it or not, products with bad reviews from some users doesn't mean it's the same for -all- users. I've purchased plenty of products that people have complained about, that were perfectly fine to me. The cheap, shitty mechanical keyboard I'm using right now is one example of that. By all accounts its one of the cheapest pieces of garbage that exists, will break on me in the first two months. Yet here it is, working three years after I purchased it. So yeah. One person's experience and opinion isn't always representative of everyone's experience with a particular product.
    I like to complain about games.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    edited November 2020

Straven said:

I purchased one of these chairs a few months ago, they look great, but that's about it.

Yes you need a long warranty a very long warranty considering the PU armrests seem to prolapse and split within a few weeks of use, not to mention you feel like your sitting on concrete, oh and the rocking motion when you change position in your chair.

But who gives a toss when you get a free chair for a positive review, or an extended warranty for a few nice pictures and positive comments.

I only wish I had seen all the negative comments regarding these chairs before purchasing one.

ONE little bit of advice, DO NOT GET RID OF THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING, or you might just get to view the video they show you on how to disassemble the chair to return it, so far it has 22K views ............ that's right 22 thousand views.

Once in a blue moon you may encounter a problem with their chairs it is claimed by the company. It's fair to assume that the unlucky person who had that once in a blue moon faulty chair had the video replaying over and over again?

I bet I don't get a free chair lol, but at least if someone is not fooled into buying one then that's fine.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but that is 100% not my experience with the Titan XL, or the Stealth I used before that. I've given each EXTENSIVE use and they've held up great. Armrests, upholstery, hydraulic, everything. And no bad smell.

(((Edit: I just saw your follow-up comment and thanks for being nice. Emily is genuinely one of the kindest, most genuine people I've had the pleasure of working with, so I piped up before reading through when I should have. My bad.)))

I'm not saying you're lying. My point is, your experience isn't everyone's and it's not fair to accuse Emily of trying to sway anyone here.

Let me make a couple of things clear.

1) I absolutely would not allow this review to be posted if she was disingenuous about her experience. It is morally wrong to mislead people and as the Hardware Editor, I would not be comfortable allowing anything like that to post while I am here making those calls. The guilt would cause me too much anxiety, and that's the reality of it for who I am.

2) While I totally get the concern surrounding review sampling, virtually ALL chair reviews are done this way (and most others, frankly). They are so large that companies do not want to pay the return shipping on a chair that would then be used. Believe me, this is something I've inquired on here at MMORPG and elsewhere. Big and heavy items are products companies will actively push back on our returning.

Hope that provides a little clarity.
    Jensyn
    Hi friends! Since it has been a month since this review, I just wanted to provide an update. So far, everything has held up really well. I don't miss having the removable lumbar cushion at all, and have found that the integrated support has been pretty nice. At this point, I usually start to hear some "squeaking" or some screws start to come loose, but I haven't had any issues at all. Even the rear cushion is still holding up. It may be too firm for some people, but it works really well for me.