Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft's Xbox Series X|S Launches Today, If You Can Get One | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMicrosoft's Xbox Series X|S Launches Today, If You Can Get One | MMORPG.com

Earlier today, Microsoft's Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S launched, bringing next gen to the market officially. However, like most new hardware launches this year, they all seem to already have been sold out at major retailers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Sadly I expect the PS5 launch to be the same way, some will be lucky to get their hands on one before Christmas..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited November 2020
    I mean, half the games are delayed anyway. There isn't much point in getting it now.
    Nanfoodlejdnewell

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Bloodaxes said:
    I mean, half the games are delayed anyway. There isn't much point in getting it now.
    I wonder if they fixed the over heating problem that was shutting down the system? From what I read, that a big part of why the games are delayed. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Mine arrived at 10AM and was promptly placed in the closet until Christmas.  Soon to be joined by it's PS5 cousin.
    [Deleted User]Voidfarerseraphis79ElvocSandmanjwTwistedSister77Mikehacheyane

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331

Mine arrived at 10AM and was promptly placed in the closet until Christmas.  Soon to be joined by it's PS5 cousin.

Oh the first world decadence! Gratz!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    You are going to have to help someone who understands nothing about consoles. If there are two versions, one more powerful than the other do only certain games work on the one with lower specs? If Xbox games work on all consoles, why get the one with higher specs, presumably the game can't look that much better or it would look rather poor on the lower spec version?
    Mikeha
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Scot said:

You are going to have to help someone who understands nothing about consoles. If there are two versions, one more powerful than the other do only certain games work on the one with lower specs? If Xbox games work on all consoles, why get the one with higher specs, presumably the game can't look that much better or it would look rather poor on the lower spec version?

Same as with PC games. The Series S can only support 2K gaming, while the Series X can support up to 4K 120fps gaming.
    So the XBOX games will be optimized for 3 resolution modes (so long they support the older XBOX). Full HD, 2K and 4K.

They also shaved off cost with the Series S with it only having 512GB SSD, instead of 1TB and the Series S also doesn't have a 4K bluray drive (which is also a big chunk of cost saves with Bluray license fees, hardware, etc).

So people that either don't have a 4K TV or monitor nor care about buying games digitally, will go for the Series S, while people with 4K TV or monitor will want to opt for the more powerful Series X.
    Scot[Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    JeroKane said:

Scot said:

Same as with PC games. The Series S can only support 2K gaming, while the Series X can support up to 4K 120fps gaming.
    So the XBOX games will be optimized for 3 resolution modes (so long they support the older XBOX). Full HD, 2K and 4K.

They also shaved off cost with the Series S with it only having 512GB SSD, instead of 1TB and the Series S also doesn't have a 4K bluray drive (which is also a big chunk of cost saves with Bluray license fees, hardware, etc).

So people that either don't have a 4K TV or monitor nor care about buying games digitally, will go for the Series S, while people with 4K TV or monitor will want to opt for the more powerful Series X.
    The S also has a lot less memory.  Either a game will have to only use as much memory as the S has so that the X's extra memory is wasted, or else have alternate, lower graphical settings to reduce memory usage on the S.  Resolultion barely makes a difference on memory usage, and frame rate doesn't matter at all.  The easiest thing to change to save memory is likely using lower resolution textures on the S.
    Mikeha
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited November 2020
    Quizzical said:
    JeroKane said:

Scot said:

The S also has a lot less memory.  Either a game will have to only use as much memory as the S has so that the X's extra memory is wasted, or else have alternate, lower graphical settings to reduce memory usage on the S.  Resolultion barely makes a difference on memory usage, and frame rate doesn't matter at all.  The easiest thing to change to save memory is likely using lower resolution textures on the S.
    The S only supports up to 2K gaming, so it can use lower resolution textures for example.

Texture resolution has a big impact on RAM and a lot of games link texture quality(resolution) to screen resolution and scale up accordingly.
    Especially on for example my current XBOX One X, where 4K optimized games let you choose between framerate or quality preference, where  with framerate preference it basically just lowers the texture resolution to reduce read/writes and RAM consumption.

I know, as I see it myself on PC as well with my GTX1070 card that has 8 GB VRAM.

There is a huge difference in VRAM consumption with various taxing games, running them on 2K or pushing for full 4K on my PC.
    I often see around 3-4GB VRAM consumption on 2K, but when I switch to 4K, my VRAM consumption goes up to 6-8 GB VRAM and those that start pushing the max 8 GB VRAM, there it begins affecting framerates.

The XBOX Series S just doesn't need all that RAM. It's a different console.
    This console will be the main seller, with Microsoft pushing Gamepass and XBOX Cloud.
    The vast majority of people out there still don't have a 4K TV, so are perfectly fine with the much cheaper Series S.
    Hell, it has less power than my current XBox One X.

The XBOX Series X is for hardcore gamers wanting the best, with up to 4K 120fps capabilities and those who want the 4K bluray drive and/or stick to buying physical games.

Also, remember, Sony only releases one PS5 console for now (dig. edition is same, just without 4K bluray drive). It has less raw power, but still supports 4K 60fps.
    So most games will be optimized for the PS5 anyway (since it has the least power of the two), which will give the XBox Series X just an advantage on load times and better framerates.

So in the beginning it will be mostly XBOX exclusive games that will try to use the full capabilities of the Series X.
    cmacq said:

Oh the first world decadence! Gratz!
    Yes. Hard work pays off.  Good luck.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    I know most TVs in the market are not 4K, now, but the average console lifecycle seems to be 7 years.

4k TVs are dropping in price, I would want to future proof as a buyer.
    [Deleted User]
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited November 2020
    Invite me over for Christmas?  I'll bring pie :D

As a parent, I would be obligated to crack them open to make sure they work ;)

...Christmas day :  "Daddy, why do you have saved profiles with over 200 hrs played?"  "Rigorous testing kids, because I love you so much."
    [Deleted User]WhiteLanternRandomCasualty
    I only like apple.

On a side note these puppies are HUGE.  They actually won’t fit on the shelves where the Xbox 1 and PS4 currently reside.
    TwistedSister77[Deleted User]

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I only like apple.

On a side note these puppies are HUGE.  They actually won’t fit on the shelves where the Xbox 1 and PS4 currently reside.
    The size will make it harder to fit your secret gaming lair inside the closet? :smile:
    TwistedSister77Sovrath[Deleted User]

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    remsleep said:
    The best thing about the new Xbox is- ping pong ball tricks

I am pretty sure ps5 can't levitate ping pong balls

Xbox is a clear winner here
    NGL , that's pretty cool haha.
    [Deleted User]

Vrika said:
    I only like apple.

The size will make it harder to fit your secret gaming lair inside the closet? :smile:
    No that is reserved for real gaming machines like my PC.

JeroKane said:
    Quizzical said:
    JeroKane said:

Scot said:

The S only supports up to 2K gaming, so it can use lower resolution textures for example.

Texture resolution has a big impact on RAM and a lot of games link texture quality(resolution) to screen resolution and scale up accordingly.
    Especially on for example my current XBOX One X, where 4K optimized games let you choose between framerate or quality preference, where  with framerate preference it basically just lowers the texture resolution to reduce read/writes and RAM consumption.

I know, as I see it myself on PC as well with my GTX1070 card that has 8 GB VRAM.

There is a huge difference in VRAM consumption with various taxing games, running them on 2K or pushing for full 4K on my PC.
    I often see around 3-4GB VRAM consumption on 2K, but when I switch to 4K, my VRAM consumption goes up to 6-8 GB VRAM and those that start pushing the max 8 GB VRAM, there it begins affecting framerates.

The XBOX Series S just doesn't need all that RAM. It's a different console.
    This console will be the main seller, with Microsoft pushing Gamepass and XBOX Cloud.
    The vast majority of people out there still don't have a 4K TV, so are perfectly fine with the much cheaper Series S.
    Hell, it has less power than my current XBox One X.

The XBOX Series X is for hardcore gamers wanting the best, with up to 4K 120fps capabilities and those who want the 4K bluray drive and/or stick to buying physical games.

Also, remember, Sony only releases one PS5 console for now (dig. edition is same, just without 4K bluray drive). It has less raw power, but still supports 4K 60fps.
    So most games will be optimized for the PS5 anyway (since it has the least power of the two), which will give the XBox Series X just an advantage on load times and better framerates.

So in the beginning it will be mostly XBOX exclusive games that will try to use the full capabilities of the Series X.
    Monitor resolution and texture resolution are two completely independent things.  Depending on how you're scaling your monitor resolution, you can sometimes argue that you don't need as high of texture resolutions when you have a lower monitor resolution.  Yes, the S will probably compensate by tending to use lower resolution textures than the X.  But that's independent of the monitor resolution.

The S has a weaker GPU than the Radeon RX 5500 XT.  In some ways, it's a weaker console than the previous generation Xbox One X.  That's not what you want for a 2K resolution.  For that matter, even at 1920x1080, if you want to go full ray-tracing, even the X doesn't have the power you'd want, and the S isn't even close.  Either the S is commonly going to have to run at reduced graphical settings, not just lower resolutions, or else games are going to be built for S specs and not bother taking advantage of the power the X offers.
    I only like apple.

The higher the power consumption, the more space you need to cool it properly.
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited November 2020
    EDIT: Ahhh, i see whats going on. I saw that Amazon price-tag and it didn't occur to me right away this was people trying to do reselling scams.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Torval said:

Glorious day

Sounds like somebody preordered and didn't try and play the brick and mortar lottery. Congrats! I look forward to hearing all about it. Please! :grin:

So it is a brilliant machine.
    Quick resume is a seriously great feature.
    I have 4 games going at once on quick resume.
    Going into Farm Together to harvest real quick after a hard raid in Assassin's Creed Valhalla takes just a mere moment and then I am back again to carry on.
    Load times are nearly gone.
    It is a whisper, hardly making any sound.
    Valhalla looks stunning and everything runs at 60fps in 4k
    I have to tell you personally that No Man's runs like a flippin dream.
    What made even the Xbox One X stutter is now gone.
    The game runs so smooth now all in 60fps in 4k.
    Plus the draw distance is greater.
    It runs better on the Series X now than my PC.
    It made an already grand experience and made it that much better.
    For the moment that seems to be perk.
    Everything just runs fast and fluid.
    Wait until you see what is being done with some of the real next gen stuff.
    Like Avowed and Hellblade 2
    Glorious.
    Nerdgasm detected :)
    laserit[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Quick Resume? That seems made for butterfly players; what next 'Play For You', where the computer plays the game you are not dipping into for five minutes? 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scot said:
    Quick Resume? That seems made for butterfly players; what next 'Play For You', where the computer plays the game you are not dipping into for five minutes? 
    Mutitasking? What will they think of next!

Just seems like an alt-tab equivalent for consoles or am I missing something here?
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED