Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Style: Themepark??

joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 11
I'm curious how Camelot Unchained got listed as a themepark MMO here. I mean, it's not sandbox in the sense of being some sort of full loot PvP game, but themepark also seems very wrong to me as I take that to be a game with a heavy questing and dungeon PvE focus so that it's theoretically possible to "complete" the game if more expansions aren't released quick enough. There's no completing a game like CU, though, since it's just a persistent RvR battle.

www.joshmcneill.com

Torval

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,143
    I'm curious how Camelot Unchained got listed as a themepark MMO here. I mean, it's not sandbox in the sense of being some sort of full loot PvP game, but themepark also seems very wrong to me as I take that to be a game with a heavy questing and dungeon PvE focus so that it's theoretically possible to "complete" the game if more expansions aren't released quick enough. There's no completing a game like CU, though, since it's just a persistent RvR battle.
    Welcome to the forums! :smile:

What would you want them to call it, a Themebox? You see the issue with these hybrid MMOs? Also what do CU call themselves, this site may have just followed that? 

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,061
    Themepark just really means it has rides that do set things, over freedom of play. I am more inclined to call it a Themebox as it really only has one ride. High conflict PvP happening no matter what your doing. 
    SovrathGdemami
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,194
    edited November 2020
    I would say that full loot pvp does not a sandbox make. Tale in the desert is one of the ultimate sandbox games and it doesn't have pvp as far as player fighting.

It's essentially a RvR pvp mmorpg. If one can accept that sandbox means the freedom of play within the scope of the game then it could be considered a sandbox. Not everyone sees that as some insist that sandbox has to have, well, "full loot pvp" or "you must be able to build."

Which then gets back to what is a sandbox/what is a thempark mmorpg.

I guess, with that said, it's neither.
    NanfoodleScot
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,340
    I look at it I don't think of any real branded title,i just think pvp game and nothing more.
    So I would call it >>A GAME.
    Nanfoodle

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 4,011
    I would call CU a mess, is that a genre?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    NanfoodleTorvalSovrath
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Scot said:

Welcome to the forums! :smile:

What would you want them to call it, a Themebox? You see the issue with these hybrid MMOs? Also what do CU call themselves, this site may have just followed that? 

"Themebox" does sound better, at least. As far as I know, though, CSE hasn't made any statements about it being a sandbox or themepark MMO.

Nanfoodle said:
    Themepark just really means it has rides that do set things, over freedom of play. I am more inclined to call it a Themebox as it really only has one ride. High conflict PvP happening no matter what your doing. 

That's a good way to look at it, IMO. To me, the sort of rides you get is a factor, too. For instance, if there's little to no reason for me to go on a ride a second time or if the second time will yield an almost identical experience with only the rewards at the end being somewhat random, that's very themepark to me.

I guess we can look at persistent RvR as being a ride, but within that ride there's quite a bit of freedom in what you can do, and the experience (if designed well) will often be quite different.

www.joshmcneill.com