Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD is Gaming King !

2»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,343
    edited November 2020
    Quizzical said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Sigh still waiting for AMD to get their heads outa their arses and put in that big order with TSMC.......amazon.ca still has not sold ONE damn zen 3 cpu yet.........
    I'm sure that the first big order with TSMC has already been placed, likely months ago by now.  It takes several weeks for a single wafer to go through all of the stages at the foundry, though.  And there's quite a bit of other stuff to do between a wafer coming out of the fab and products showing up at retail.

At the moment, New Egg has 31 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 5600X.  For comparison, they have 203 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 3600X.  The latter has been out for more than a year and had plenty of stock for most of that time, but most of the people who buy a CPU won't write a review.  So the CPUs are coming, but there's tremendous demand.

The demand is big yes but not as tremendous as you are making it to be at least not here in Canada.

I have been following bapcsalescanada which tracks sales in Canada and the quantities coming in are frankly pitiful to the point they haven't even been able to supply one zen 3 cpu to amazon.ca which is by far the more popular place in Canada for peeps to buy PC parts online.

This is quite unusual and tbh if they don't have any by BF then I will go on and say they wont have zen 3 before 2021.

They have gotten some in other store's however only in single digit quantities and a few places in double digit quantities.

AMD hasn't done much better than nvidia's rtx 3000 gpu launch on their launch of new cpu's and gpu's.

Also be careful not to use "reviews" as a metric because newegg.ca and amazon.ca  share reviews with their US counterpart .com site.

For example newegg.ca has 12 reviews for the 5800x and it's the same 12 reviews you can see on the newegg.com site
    Kyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,706
    Quizzical said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Sigh still waiting for AMD to get their heads outa their arses and put in that big order with TSMC.......amazon.ca still has not sold ONE damn zen 3 cpu yet.........
    I'm sure that the first big order with TSMC has already been placed, likely months ago by now.  It takes several weeks for a single wafer to go through all of the stages at the foundry, though.  And there's quite a bit of other stuff to do between a wafer coming out of the fab and products showing up at retail.

At the moment, New Egg has 31 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 5600X.  For comparison, they have 203 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 3600X.  The latter has been out for more than a year and had plenty of stock for most of that time, but most of the people who buy a CPU won't write a review.  So the CPUs are coming, but there's tremendous demand.
    I don't think it's a question of AMD placing order. More likely TSMC is out of fab capacity until Christmas so that AMD can't place bigger orders right now.
    Asm0deus

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,302
    There's a lot of big money buying all the production from TSMC. So I imagine the channel is flooded. You also have to consider the growing tensions between China and Taiwan right now will impact chipments.
    I imagine AMD bought all the capacity they could considering they also bought all of nVidias.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,682
    My line about AMD placing an order with TSMC does not mean calling up TSMC and saying "Hi, we'd like to order some wafers.  Do you have any spare capacity this week?"  They don't.

Rather, AMD ordered wafers from TSMC many months ahead of time.  I've seen a rumor that you had to place an order 18 months ahead of time in order to get any.  But while the quantity of wafer starts is reserved, the exact design that will be used in them was not.  My notion of placing a big order with TSMC is to be sufficiently satisfied with Zen 3 yields to tell them that for the future wafers you've reserved, scale back on production of just about everything else and instead shift the production to massive amounts of Zen 3 chiplet wafers.

AMD can't (or at least shouldn't) do that until they're satisfied with Zen 3 yields, as otherwise, they could produce a huge number of wafers that are useless junk.  You can tell yields by running just a handful of wafers, not the thousands of them that you'd want for full production.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,032
    Quizzical said:
    Asm0deus said:

At the moment, New Egg has 31 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 5600X.  For comparison, they have 203 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 3600X.  The latter has been out for more than a year and had plenty of stock for most of that time, but most of the people who buy a CPU won't write a review.  
    Being of a cynical nature I would propose perhaps Ryzen 5s were specifically sold or given to people who promised to write a review.

Happy Friday.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,227
    If this is true they only have to outperform Nvidia for another twenty or so years to take the crown. :D
    Mars_OMGJean-Luc_PicardIronside81

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,706
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Asm0deus said:

At the moment, New Egg has 31 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 5600X.  For comparison, they have 203 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 3600X.  The latter has been out for more than a year and had plenty of stock for most of that time, but most of the people who buy a CPU won't write a review.  
    Being of a cynical nature I would propose perhaps Ryzen 5s were specifically sold or given to people who promised to write a review.
    I think it's just a case of fanboyism. People who buy a good new product will also want to review it.

Not that Ryzen 3600X wasn't good, but Intel still had better single threaded performance. Now that AMD has finally caught up people are lot more eager to leave positive reviews.

• Ironside81Ironside81 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Nearly 2 decades of distrust with AMD is not solved with 1 series of comparable chips.
  • remsleepremsleep Member EpicPosts: 1,734
    There are no kings - because there is no stock of any 5000 ryzens or 6800 radeons anywhere.

You sort of have to be able to sell the product to the masses first.

Same bullshit with Nvidia and the 3000 series.

Until there is availability to the masses - lets put this bullshit king talk aside. 
    RidelynnAsm0deus
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member RarePosts: 487
    edited November 2020
    Intel vs Amd...  been 20+ years of one side calling victory over the other.  

Reality, Intel is a monopoly that needs AMD in business to avoid antitrust regulations... AMD was close to bankruptcy multiple times, all Intel had to do was cut prices and/or release next gen chips to put them out of business.  They didn't, again, because they didn't want antitrust regulations.

AMD is the barnacle on the Intel whale.  

Then AMD went into GPUs... another barnacle (Nvidia whale).

It's good for us consumers (choices, price pressure).

They make fine products, but they are meant to be 2nd in market share.
  • Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 3,047
    Intel vs Amd...  been 20+ years of one side calling victory over the other.  

Reality, Intel is a monopoly that needs AMD in business to avoid antitrust regulations... AMD was close to bankruptcy multiple times, all Intel had to do was cut prices and/or release next gen chips to put them out of business.  They didn't, again, because they didn't want antitrust regulations.

AMD is the barnacle on the Intel whale.  

Then AMD went into GPUs... another barnacle (Nvidia whale).

It's good for us consumers (choices, price pressure).

They make fine products, but they are meant to be 2nd in market share.
    Barnicles can sink ships, just saying :) 
    - abandoning social media could possibly save the world.  

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,472
    Mars_OMG said:
    King.

The problem with your "claim" is that the main part of any gaming computer is not the CPU, it's the GPU. And nVidia still crushes AMD on that part. Without breaking a sweat.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,302
    edited December 2020
    Look at the numbers on gaming GPUs again. It's not looking pretty. The 6800 and 6900 are on par with the 3080 and 3090 in gaming. There are more niche cases were the nVidia cards are better, but in gaming there is no point in going with nVidia.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,472
    Cleffy said:
    Look at the numbers on gaming GPUs again. It's not looking pretty. The 6800 and 6900 are on par with the 3080 and 3090 in gaming. There are more niche cases were the nVidia cards are better, but in gaming there is no point in going with nVidia.

Thanks for that XMAS laugh ;)
    Not to mention the pathetic ray tracing performances of the AMD chips.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,146
    I’d say:

Right now you can’t really buy either easily. But more people are having success getting nVidia than AMD. So that doesn’t bode well for AMD

As far as performance, I think at the top end ($500+), they are stacked up pretty well. Outside of ray tracing performance, the price / performance of the various cards at MSRP lines up about right. You can make a decent case about VRAM capacity versus the 3070/3080, but that difference to date has not impaired performance appreciably compared to the higher VRAM AMD cards.

Dropping below the high end, it looks bleak. nVidia has a 3060, which is still on the high end of midrange price, AMD has announced nothing. Between manufacturers focusing on current Gen products, stopped production of last Gen, and scalpers that have slid down to taking all available product - there is nothing really available at any price range, current or last Gen, in almost any price point.

AMD needs to get their product line fleshed out. Both need to get availability up. Right now no one is winning.

Torval
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,682
    AMD will fill out their Navi 2X lineup just fine.  It doesn't really matter if they nominally launch cards today or wait a while, as there wouldn't be real availability for a while, anyway.

It's a lot more important for AMD to get more Zen 3 chiplets to market than any 7 nm GPUs, and they're competing for wafers on exactly the same process node.  EPYC Milan is coming, and AMD also just launched the Instinct MI100.  Navi 2X can wait, even if that's not what gamers want to hear.  Gamers aren't willing to pay the thousands of dollars per part that the professional parts will fetch.
    TorvalRidelynn