Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD is Gaming King !

Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 2,842
edited November 10 in Hardware
I remember in the first few beta's of counter-strike people would be like " I got a Thunderbird" and all the nerds would swoon saying they wish they could get one . The thunderbird was really the first pinnacle of modern gaming machines. Then came AGP Slots, better CPUs, more ram, faster rpm hard drives and the time line continues as all time lines do with ups and downs. 

I feel nostalgic to now be in the apex of gaming, a new page has finally turned in components. For myself, I'm not surprised it is AMD turning that page. Watching AMD go from hot dog to dog town and now like a phoniex from the ashes rising like never before, is such a satisfying feeling.

People told me "your wasting your money getting 570 mobo" I shrugged and got one anyway. I'm sure glad I got it. :) 
I'm set up right now to never have to purchas another p.c. part for the rest of my life barring any malfunctions if I upgrade to zen 3 cpu and 6k gpu.

I was skeptical of my components choices, specially from the feedback from this forum. All is well now, AMD is King like I knew they would be :) 
- abandoning social media could possibly save the world.  

Post edited by Mars_OMG on
Gdemamisumdumguy1alkarionlogKyleranJean-Luc_PicardIronside81

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,371
    The AGP slot preceded the thunderbird CPU by about three years.

If you think you'll never need to buy another computer in your life, then I assume that you're either not going to live much longer or won't need a computer for much longer.  Even if you believe that we're on the cusp of the end of hardware advancements, old parts wear out and break.  With computers, we don't always notice because the performance becomes inadequate first, but if you try to use the same computer forever, it's going to wear out and break.
  • Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 2,842
    edited November 10
    Quizzical said:
    The AGP slot preceded the thunderbird CPU by about three years.

If you think you'll never need to buy another computer in your life, then I assume that you're either not going to live much longer or won't need a computer for much longer.  Even if you believe that we're on the cusp of the end of hardware advancements, old parts wear out and break.  With computers, we don't always notice because the performance becomes inadequate first, but if you try to use the same computer forever, it's going to wear out and break.
    generalizing in creative writing, it's a thing. 

As I am at an age where I can drop dead at any moment, I feel confident i will not be upgrading once I grab a zen 3 and 6k card. As with my las AMD system it was built in 2008ish and lasted for 12 years. 

Where did I ever say ":the end of hardware advancemnt", that is like the hardest tried hard to make something wrong with my post. Please stop replying to my posts if you don't have specific input. This is getting tiring and boring to have the same people try and out do each other on shitting on me.

Think I will just block you. Have a good one !
    GdemamialkarionlogKylerancoretex666MikehaBrainy

• olepiolepi Member RarePosts: 1,479
    I started out gaming in the 1960's with Avalon Hill war games. I remember when Pong came out. The first chip I worked on was the 68,000, in 1978. It was done in 5 micron NMOS techology.

As a manager in 1980, I used to buy CAD systems for chip design. One time, I calculated what my home PC would cost in 1980. It would require the equivalent of 9,000 washing machines, and cost over $350 million in 1980 dollars.

Today, our chips are over 1000X smaller and faster. And cheaper.

I'm still gaming on a rig I built 7 years ago. But I do expect to buy a new one soon(tm).  I see no end in sight, at least for another couple of generations. The 7nm node is popular now, 5nm is on the horizon, and 3nm is behind that.

But I doubt whether MOS technology will go much below that. We are counting atoms, 3nm is just a handful of atoms, we can't go much below that.

So the future is going to be a new kind of technology, like quantum computing. When that happens, all of our current systems will be a joke.
    Mars_OMGScot

------------
    2020: 43 years on the Net.

olepi said:
    I started out gaming in the 1960's with Avalon Hill war games. I remember when Pong came out. The first chip I worked on was the 68,000, in 1978. It was done in 5 micron NMOS techology.

As a manager in 1980, I used to buy CAD systems for chip design. One time, I calculated what my home PC would cost in 1980. It would require the equivalent of 9,000 washing machines, and cost over $350 million in 1980 dollars.

Today, our chips are over 1000X smaller and faster. And cheaper.

I'm still gaming on a rig I built 7 years ago. But I do expect to buy a new one soon(tm).  I see no end in sight, at least for another couple of generations. The 7nm node is popular now, 5nm is on the horizon, and 3nm is behind that.

But I doubt whether MOS technology will go much below that. We are counting atoms, 3nm is just a handful of atoms, we can't go much below that.

So the future is going to be a new kind of technology, like quantum computing. When that happens, all of our current systems will be a joke.
    If you ever watched Babylon 5, I think crystalline processors or some kind of nano fabric is the future.
    Gdemamialkarionlog

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,273
    The issue that AMD will soon face is the effects of having being #1 in a market. They will be the target of exploits. I don't think people truly appreciate the effort Microsoft puts into securing their OS. Unfortunately, Google doesn't put in nearly as much effort securing Android now that it is the #1 OS.
    GdemamiKyleranMikeha
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,642
    edited November 11
    I guess maybe soon AMD will take the gaming crown, but appears they aren't quite there yet, unless upgradability is one's key concern right now.

The number one and two slots are still held by Intel but is likely to change.

"it's worth noting that AMD is about to release a slew of new CPUs using its Zen 3 architecture. It has already announced a 19% IPC improvement, which should see a serious uptick in gaming performance. It could finally mean that Intel loses it's gaming crown to AMD, which will obviously shake up this list quite a bit."

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-cpu-for-gaming/
    Mars_OMGMikeha

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,317
    edited November 11
    That PCGamer link isn't really a good one to look at since it was posted 7days ago and thus before the release of the 5k cpu's.

This one is a little more recent.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Kyleran said:
    I guess maybe soon AMD will take the gaming crown, but appears they aren't quite there yet, unless upgradability is one's key concern right now.

"it's worth noting that AMD is about to release a slew of new CPUs using its Zen 3 architecture. It has already announced a 19% IPC improvement, which should see a serious uptick in gaming performance. It could finally mean that Intel loses it's gaming crown to AMD, which will obviously shake up this list quite a bit."

Your article is so old as to be useless.  Since it posted, we've had the most important new CPU launch since Sandy Bridge in 2011.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,409
    CPU side they are on par - GPU wise, not even remotely close.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

edited November 12
    CPU side they are on par - GPU wise, not even remotely close.
    can't really say that without seeing review on the gpu side. Zen 3 59XX are out performing threaderipper in some tasks.
    Post edited by Mars_OMG on

edited November 11
    Kyleran said:

that's pc gamer, long time intel pusher :) 

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Kings of BSOD haha
    I havent seen a BSOD since 98 when i had amd radeons

So enjoy ur BSOD sheeople
    GdemamiAsm0deus

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,955
    Kings of BSOD haha
    I havent seen a BSOD since 98 when i had amd radeons

So enjoy ur BSOD sheeople
    You're really lashing out today aren't you? 

Mars_OMG
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,297
    edited November 11
    Kyleran said:

That Anand article has a lot of good info. The PCGamer article is basically some dude's opinion based on how they feel about marketing numbers. Anand's piece is an analysis of the CPUs with Amazon market data. The two pieces don't agree at all.

While I wouldn't say AMD is king, I also wouldn't give that crown to Intel anymore either.

AMD is king for me though, my 3700X in an ASUS TUF x570 with 32GB DDR4/3600 G.SKILL Trident Z Neo is awesome. It's a great CPU at a very good price point. Right now I'd choose AMD for a gaming or work+gaming combo on power and performance alone. Add in build costs and the Intel tax and AMD is a clear winner for me personally.

I do use my computer for work too so it needs to be able to run at least one VM and multiple remote connections at the same time while still being functional on the host desktop. That's more than a gaming rig needs to do.
    GdemamiMars_OMGt0nyd
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,687
    Well if you count the consoles using AMD CPUs and GPUs, they just might be.
    KyleranTorvalMars_OMG
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    King.

Gdemami

• LonesolsLonesols Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited November 19
    Amd is definitely not gaming king. I'm glad I had both 10700k and 3800x, or I would of been screwed. I needed intel onboard graphics and the nvida hdmi, which amd doesn't have, and even if they did have it, it wouldn't work right.

The reason for that is because dolby atmos only works through hdmi. The differnce between playing elder scrolls online with dolby atmos 7.2 with klipsch speakers, and playing it with head phones or any computer speakers since no one makes good computer speakers, is like the difference between 720p 60hz  and 1440 120hz gsync hdr. 

So in order to do that with amd you would need a 650 dollar reciver, and that's assuming it even works with nvidia or Radeon, which I'm not sure it does. All other recivers minus that one for 650 the denon one cannot bypass 120hz gsync, so you have to lower ur resoultion to 1080 60hz.

I mean it would work if you could find a actual computer speakers system that was good. I doubt 7.2 from a analog 6 wire system would sound bad, but there are literally no computer speakers i could find worth anything. 

So yep I suppose if you think gaming consists only of video then it would be fine.

The only ones I found were these, 

Z906 5.1 SURROUND SOUND SPEAKER SYSTEM

And those are garbage.
    Kyleran
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,100
    I'm not HDMI saavy on a computer - I know a lot of people use dummy video on HDMI to get an audio-only HDMI output.

I guess I'm not seeing why you need a reciever that supports GSync... or how that has anything to do with Intel video
    Torval
  • remsleepremsleep Member EpicPosts: 1,120
    edited November 19
    King.

Might be king for a few months - rumors are Intel is said to retake the gaming king crown with Rocket Lake launch Q1 2021.

Right now AMD has a huge advantage - the problem is they can't make the sales because they don't have the inventory.

If AMD had Ryzen 5s in actual numbers to sell - they could have made a killing - but nope - the supply shortage has limited their profits - the longer they have a supply issue - the more money they lose.

If Intel Rocket Lake can compete in gaming performance and price - AMD squandered a huge opportunity 
    KyleranTimukas
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,597
    remsleep said:
    King.

Might be king for a few months - rumors are Intel is said to retake the gaming king crown with Rocket Lake launch Q1 2021.

Right now AMD has a huge advantage - the problem is they can't make the sales because they don't have the inventory.

If AMD had Ryzen 5s in actual numbers to sell - they could have made a killing - but nope - the supply shortage has limited their profits - the longer they have a supply issue - the more money they lose.

If Intel Rocket Lake can compete in gaming performance and price - AMD squandered a huge opportunity 
    Even if AMD can't supply whole demand for Ryzen CPUs, they're still supplying significant numbers and making a good profit.

remsleep said:

AMD is going to bring a huge amount of Zen 3 CPUs to market very quickly.  As manufacturing computer chips goes, it's an extremely low risk part.  The motherboards, chipsets, and even the I/O die are all reused from a previous generation that is now mature.  All that changes is a single die that is only about 80 mm^2 on a now mature process node, and they even have salvage parts available to help with yields.

When we'll see a huge flood of Zen 3 CPUs hit the market just depends on when AMD was willing to put in a big order for them with TSMC.  It takes several weeks for chips to go through the fabs, but once the wafers start coming out from the first big order, there should be quite a lot of supply.  Each wafer is probably good for over 800 Zen 3 chiplets.

I'm not expecting Rocket Lake to beat out Zen 3.  It will probably give up some of the performance improvements you'd have expected out of IPC gains due to frequency going down.  The most recent time that a CPU got backported to an older node than the one it was designed for without being garbage is never.
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I am very happy that Intel finally has a competitor that can compete with them. They have owned the market and priced things accordingly until now. Now they have a competitor. 
    Mars_OMGGorwe
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,317
    edited November 20
    Sigh still waiting for AMD to get their heads outa their arses and put in that big order with TSMC.......amazon.ca still has not sold ONE damn zen 3 cpu yet.........

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Sigh still waiting for AMD to get their heads outa their arses and put in that big order with TSMC.......amazon.ca still has not sold ONE damn zen 3 cpu yet.........
    I'm sure that the first big order with TSMC has already been placed, likely months ago by now.  It takes several weeks for a single wafer to go through all of the stages at the foundry, though.  And there's quite a bit of other stuff to do between a wafer coming out of the fab and products showing up at retail.

At the moment, New Egg has 31 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 5600X.  For comparison, they have 203 reviews from verified owners of a Ryzen 5 3600X.  The latter has been out for more than a year and had plenty of stock for most of that time, but most of the people who buy a CPU won't write a review.  So the CPUs are coming, but there's tremendous demand.