Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Review In Progress | MMORPG.com

12346»

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Aeander said:
    Asheram said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Not me. I always rooted for the vikings on those shows over the joyless, conniving Christians.
    Maybe you should leave your joyless religious baiting for another forum. We're here to talk about gaming.

Sigh.  He was addressing the comment someone made about wanting to play as the Brits. I tend to agree as I rooted for the Viking "Heathens" as well.
    I said brits, mentioned nothing at all about religion. 
    The two were essentially and powerfully connected at the time period. 
    Exactly.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited November 2020
    Asheram said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Not me. I always rooted for the vikings on those shows over the joyless, conniving Christians.
    Maybe you should leave your joyless religious baiting for another forum. We're here to talk about gaming.

laserit said:
    I'm finding the enemy AI around camps disappointing, they're far too stupid. There's also lots to enjoy. There's a few gameplay options to play with still.

The guys video sounded like whining to me because he exaggerated so much. The Dagger bit was ridiculous and not accurate at all. 

Yeah, I couldn't get through the entire video because all he did was whine. Even if some of his complaints might be valid, it came across as rather pathetic. I wanted to shout at him to stop being such a crybaby. Seriously, go have a good cry, get it out, and come back and try again.
    For what it's worth, I was talking about the Christians as portrayed in Last Kingdom and Vikings (the popularity of which is very relevant to this setting being selected, I'm sure). The portrayal was NOT flattering.
    Not all the Brits in the Last Kingdom were christian, the main character was married to pagan from Britland and the ones that were were not all bad. I mean The Last Kingdom doesn't portray Alfred as a villain unlike the trailers I have seen for AC:V. Dont know if thats just how it was drawn as I am not that far into game yet.

Plus the dlc is going to be invading Ireland heathens too and I would rather play as them as well. Too bad the game didnt let you pick which side you want to be on.

Last Kingdom doesn't portray Alfred as a villain, but he's not exactly friendly or kind to our protagonist either. One could best describe their relationship as mutually toxic. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

Sigh.  He was addressing the comment someone made about wanting to play as the Brits. I tend to agree as I rooted for the Viking "Heathens" as well.

I get the context, the additional nasty comments are unnecessary. And Vikings weren't heathens. They had their own religion as well and it wasn't "heathen". Making nasty comments about others religions here is outside the scope of the discussion whether that's Christians, Muslims, or any others. I'm of Viking descent and we were a conniving lot as well. You don't become feared raiders otherwise, but that has nothing to do with Nordic religions.
    You are the one that is making this into an issue due to your hyper-sensitivity about the topic. 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Aeander said:
    Asheram said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

laserit said:
    I'm finding the enemy AI around camps disappointing, they're far too stupid. There's also lots to enjoy. There's a few gameplay options to play with still.

The guys video sounded like whining to me because he exaggerated so much. The Dagger bit was ridiculous and not accurate at all. 

Yeah, I couldn't get through the entire video because all he did was whine. Even if some of his complaints might be valid, it came across as rather pathetic. I wanted to shout at him to stop being such a crybaby. Seriously, go have a good cry, get it out, and come back and try again.
    For what it's worth, I was talking about the Christians as portrayed in Last Kingdom and Vikings (the popularity of which is very relevant to this setting being selected, I'm sure). The portrayal was NOT flattering.
    Not all the Brits in the Last Kingdom were christian, the main character was married to pagan from Britland and the ones that were were not all bad. I mean The Last Kingdom doesn't portray Alfred as a villain unlike the trailers I have seen for AC:V. Dont know if thats just how it was drawn as I am not that far into game yet.

Plus the dlc is going to be invading Ireland heathens too and I would rather play as them as well. Too bad the game didnt let you pick which side you want to be on.

Last Kingdom doesn't portray Alfred as a villain, but he's not exactly friendly or kind to our protagonist either. One could best describe their relationship as mutually toxic. 
    But he isnt really the villain though, he is dealing with an invading force and I think they both came to an understanding of sorts because its protagonist had actual roots in england.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The design turns me off,the developer doesn't seem to "get it" at all.
    Lights in the air as hand holding markers,question marks over npc heads,a light coming off a letter to make sure you read it.
    The Boss fights are dodge timing and nothing more to it.You should actually die and give the game a different twist instead of just get up and do it all over again and again until you finally beat that boss.

Climbing the side of smooth rock better than an Ibex  pfft give me some climbing picks or something to make it feel more plausible or make the rock surface more jagged.

I found myself constantly shaking my head thinking the developer is just not very good at presenting a game like this.

I don't even know what is up with the water because i have never seen any streamer/player swim under water.

The combat Ai seems real bad,idk the setting the streamers are playing on,i didn't ask but man even easy mode shouldn't be that bad.Synchronize and desynchronize...geesh.

Hand holding markers are the biggest turn off for me in games.I want my game world to look and feel realistic.The entire gameplay is pretty much look for a light shining in the sky..zzzzzzzzzzz.

Turning into a hawk to look from the sky is missing animation frames,it just happens and your a hawk instantly.It was like this the entire time i watched streamers play this game,it comes off as an Indie design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited November 2020
    Asheram said:
    Aeander said:
    Asheram said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

laserit said:

But he isnt really the villain though, he is dealing with an invading force and I think they both came to an understanding of sorts because its protagonist had actual roots in england.
    Their arrangement is borderline sociopathic on Alfred's part. He's so desperate to control Uhtred that he abducts his children as captives, forcefully indoctrinates them into his faith, and declares Uhtred an outlaw multiple times.

Uhtred's flaw is being impulsive and impetuous (and that's why their relationship is mutually toxic), but Alfred is one of the most manipulative, conniving, intolerant, and unappreciative motherfuckers in the entire show. If he isn't a villain, he's damn close to one.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Wizardry said:
    Lights in the air as hand holding markers,question marks over npc heads,a light coming off a letter to make sure you read it.
    The Boss fights are dodge timing and nothing more to it.You should actually die and give the game a different twist instead of just get up and do it all over again and again until you finally beat that boss.

Climbing the side of smooth rock better than an Ibex  pfft give me some climbing picks or something to make it feel more plausible or make the rock surface more jagged.

I found myself constantly shaking my head thinking the developer is just not very good at presenting a game like this.

I don't even know what is up with the water because i have never seen any streamer/player swim under water.

The combat Ai seems real bad,idk the setting the streamers are playing on,i didn't ask but man even easy mode shouldn't be that bad.Synchronize and desynchronize...geesh.

Hand holding markers are the biggest turn off for me in games.I want my game world to look and feel realistic.The entire gameplay is pretty much look for a light shining in the sky..zzzzzzzzzzz.

Turning into a hawk to look from the sky is missing animation frames,it just happens and your a hawk instantly.It was like this the entire time i watched streamers play this game,it comes off as an Indie design.

You did know this is an Assassins Creed game right? None of this should be a surprise to you coming into the game, it's pretty much the way the whole series works, just slightly better, a natural evolution of a formula that clearly has a large fanbase.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Aeander said:
    Asheram said:
    Aeander said:
    Asheram said:
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

laserit said:

Their arrangement is borderline sociopathic on Alfred's part. He's so desperate to control Uhtred that he abducts his children as captives, forcefully indoctrinates them into his faith, and declares Uhtred an outlaw multiple times.

Uhtred's flaw is being impulsive and impetuous (and that's why their relationship is mutually toxic), but Alfred is one of the most manipulative, conniving, intolerant, and unappreciative motherfuckers in the entire show. If he isn't a villain, he's damn close to one.

It's all politics!

I always got the impression that Alfred would have been much more accepting of Uhtred, in fact he even comes out and says so when he's dying, if it weren't for the politics of it all. He has to appease the hardliners in his kingdom otherwise he'll lose control, so being a dick to Uthred instead of losing his kingdom is the lesser of two evils.

Plus, Alfreds wife is a real bitch! she's always trying to get Uthred killed.

Fun series though.
    Asheram
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    edited November 2020
    Wizardry said:

It's you who don't get it.

They aren't going to make a multi-million dollar "big budget AAA" game for a small amount of people.

They aren't going to make a game that you and I would find "fine" and acceptable for that amount of time and money.

So think about it ....

Instead of just vaulting up a wall they introduce picks and hammers. Now imagine how long it would take to go up a wall. Now imagine the average person sitting there at their desk (or on the couch) watching this avatar slowly make their way up a wall. Never mind adding some danger where a person can fall.

What speed would be even close to acceptable for a that system not to feel like the most tedious thing for the average player? It certainly can't be at "realistic" speed as most people do not pay top dollar to watch this:

You will also notice, I should add, that "this" particular climber is not using pitons, rope and a hammer to climb. He's using his bare hands. I suspect that is the spirit of what these games try to capture albeit not at realistic speeds.

So let's say we speed it up for game play sake? That meticulous climbing will look really weird sped up. Hence the system we now have.

Like I said, I'm fine with a much slower version but most people will uninstall within moments.
    [Deleted User]cameltosis
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo