Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Review In Progress | MMORPG.com

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited November 2020
    I wish the marking was like how it it is in Deus Ex Mankind Divided, click ability and it shows enemies in red and locations but once you unclick the ability the enemies looked normal when you saw them not an always on glowing red robot.
    You can turn it off in options but then you dont even see them on the initial press of odins sight. 

Plus I heard people saying that they took away the stealth, for me I disagree. I am finding it far easier just stealthing into outposts and taking out all the enemies 1 at a time than trying to run in and raid with my a.i. crewbots. I have found myself just leaving them in the boat somewhere and just running around the world exploring and taking out outposts alone.

Its definately not a Far Cry game, the ai seem to be pretty dumb. Shot 1 guy who fell off ledge in between 2 other guards and they didnt even notice. And guards that saw a dead guy that I killed just went and kneeled by him for another easy shot or if i didnt shoot just halfassed looking and went back to same old routine loop. None of them tried to sound an alarm to warn the others, no having to kill the guard before he calls in reenforcements etc.

Maybe it gets harder in england idk as I am still in nordland.

[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited November 2020
    Asheram said:
    I wish the marking was like how it it is in Deus Ex Mankind Divided, click ability and it shows enemies in red and locations but once you unclick the ability the enemies looked normal when you saw them not an always on glowing red robot.
    You can turn it off in options but then you dont even see them on the initial press of odins sight. 

Plus I heard people saying that they took away the stealth, for me I disagree. I am finding it far easier just stealthing into outposts and taking out all the enemies 1 at a time than trying to run in and raid with my a.i. crewbots. I have found myself just leaving them in the boat somewhere and just running around the world exploring and taking out outposts alone.

Its definately not a Far Cry game, the ai seem to be pretty dumb. Shot 1 guy who fell off ledge in between 2 other guards and they didnt even notice. And guards that saw a dead guy that I killed just went and kneeled by him for another easy shot or if i didnt shoot just halfassed looking and went back to same old routine loop. None of them tried to sound an alarm to warn the others, no having to kill the guard before he calls in reenforcements etc.

Maybe it gets harder in england idk as I am still in nordland.

It does ramp up and opens up more in England as the home land is more of a tutorial section.
     I agree that stealth is back in a good way in this one. 
    I stealth fight and spec into the stealth and range lines and I also just leave the crew on the longboat at times just so I can go and silently take out the enemies.  
    It is thrilling and tough but I love it. 
    In fact this has been the perfect launch game to break in my new Xbox Series X =)
    One thing I found funny is I left them at a dock I discovered that puts an anchor icon on map for fast travel then went off exploring and wound up closer to main village so I just ran to village then used horn to call longship to the village.

I thought it came I would have sworn I saw them all get out of a boat in village and walk into barracks area. Must have been a different crew and horn didnt work because today I was exploring and used the fast travel to that dock to find some treasure and I saw a longship at dock.

I went up to it and it was my crew all just sitting in the boat (like atlas bots lol). Bots dont get bored lol.

Game needs a loyalty meter for crew and the ability for them to mutiny or desert if you leave them like that for hours/days on end ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Asheram said:
    cheyane said:
    @Asheram

Try this out place you hand and position your thumb and just blindly stab at the buttons and see which are the ones you can get to  by just using the numbers until you can stab them regularly with accuracy. After that once you're confident where the numbers are you can then bind your skills to them.

I can make a few suggestions to help you bind the keys in a way that will help. Firstly pick a number that you feel is the most easiest for you on the mouse with the 12 side buttons. For me it is 6 and I bind a heal to it. The top three buttons I bind to the most used attacks. The first and the last button of the last row are similarly the most easiest to get to and bind your frequently used attack or stuff like the focus a skill used in Horizon Zero Dawn which isn't used while fighting but before you start a fight. 

The middle buttons in the rows are a little hard to get to so you can avoid using them but I trained myself to use button number 5 and after a week I don't miss when I aim for 5. The trick is to slide your thumb over the numbers to feel the incline before you press 5. I also have a button on my Red Dragon mouse on top next to the left mouse button which I bind dodge to. I seldom use 8 and 11 but in certain games like FFXIV I did use them as frequently as the others. I tend not to because they are not the easiest to get to.

You don't lift your thumb off to aim for the buttons always slide them over the buttons to feel their positions until it becomes second nature to you. Never look at the numbers when you want to press them or you will never learn to use it well.

I sincerely hope this helps.
    TY for trying to help but the controller is working fine for me.
    I mainly and mostly only play Mount & Blade Warband multiplayer which my g502 hero mouse with 2 side buttons work perfectly for.
    I only throw in another game every now and again when it interests me and usually at some point I either get bored with it or run through the story as fast as I can like I did with RDR2 and then go back to Warband.
    I appreciate your input though so thank you.
    Ahh controllers are my kryptonite.
    Chamber of Chains
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    My ongoing review of AC Valhalla:

I have never said "this is fucking bullshit" so many times when playing a game. In fact, I have probably said that phrase more in the last few days of playing AC:V than in my whole life.

Now there are some cool things about the game, like some interesting characters and story arcs, but so many core mechanics are either outright bad or just poorly implemented that it drags the whole thing down. 

I think this is probably the worst AC game I have played, and I am a fan of both the older games and the rpg-focused ones.

This shows some of the gameplay issues, although my personal list is far longer:

Iselin
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    That video was hilarious!

Needless to say, I've had a very different experience from that guy.

I tried writing out inidividual responses to his whining, but it just ended up as a long wall of text, so I won't bother.

The main conclusion I came to is that this guy is a product of the modern loot-obsessed, shallow-as-fuck games. From that point of view, I can understand why he's complaining, as this game clearly isn't aimed at him. But that's great news for me as I demand more from my games, and Valhalla gives that to me.

So far (30hrs in), best game in the series for me.

I tried writing out inidividual responses to his whining, but it just ended up as a long wall of text, so I won't bother.

The main conclusion I came to is that this guy is a product of the modern loot-obsessed, shallow-as-fuck games. From that point of view, I can understand why he's complaining, as this game clearly isn't aimed at him. But that's great news for me as I demand more from my games, and Valhalla gives that to me.

It is easy to write off people's valid complaints as whining, and I love how you immediately attack the reviewer's character, that is very mature of you.

The truth is that compared to previous AC games the combat is shit, the stealth gameplay is shit, the graphics are shit (on ps4), the parkour is shit, its bloated and long and boring. It seems like you love shit, uninspired, shallow games that take all the best aspects of a great series and completely fuck up the implementation, grats.

The tragedy is that there is actually an interesting story under all those failed gameplay mechanics, and Eivor is a pretty amazing character.   

Aeander
    edited November 2020
    Well all I know is that this is the longest I have played any Assassins Creed game with Black Flag being in the second longest and have tried both the older ones and the last 2 open world ones.
    To each his own I guess.

Oh and it didnt take me 20 hours to find a dagger either. This guy shows how to get all weapons in 2-3 hours.

Asheram said:
    Well all I know is that this is the longest I have played any Assassins Creed game with Black Flag being in the second longest and have tried both the older ones and the last 2 open world ones.
    To each his own I guess.

Oh and it didnt take me 20 hours to find a dagger either. This guy shows how to get all weapons in 2-3 hours.

Its always awesome when you find a game you can really dig your teeth into and enjoy. What aspects of it do you find compelling compared to previous games in the series or other similar games? 
    YashaX said:

It is easy to write off people's valid complaints as whining, and I love how you immediately attack the reviewer's character, that is very mature of you.

The truth is that compared to previous AC games the combat is shit, the stealth gameplay is shit, the graphics are shit (on ps4), the parkour is shit, its bloated and long and boring. It seems like you love shit, uninspired, shallow games that take all the best aspects of a great series and completely fuck up the implementation, grats.

The tragedy is that there is actually an interesting story under all those failed gameplay mechanics, and Eivor is a pretty amazing character.   

I was trying to understand the reviewers point of view, as not a single thing he complains about is a bug, just personal preference. So, I tried to understand his personal preference, especially given how previous AC games played. I came to the conclusion that his preferences have been warped by shallow loot games of the past 5 years.

For reference, I have played AC2, AC Brotherhood, AC3, AC4, AC Origins and now AC Valhalla. I haven't played Odyssey. I say this so u can understand my following points and forgive me for overlooking Odyssey.

Loot
    The guy complains about loot a lot, about the lack of it, how you acquire it and how long it takes to get what you want. This stands out as odd, as Valhalla has way more loot than any AC games I've played. Sure, origins seems to chuck shields and weapons at me all the time, but they were mostly higher level duplicates of what I already had. So, Valhalla does away with pointless duplications and instead just lets me upgrade the gear i already have, so I waste much less time checking through trash loot. Add in the various armour sets and Valhalla has way more gear than previous entries. I also seemed to get the new weapons and armour a lot quicker than the reviewer suggests.

Combat
    AC games are notoriously shallow when it comes to combat. It's usually just attack, "press x to block" and dodge. Maybe they have guns, maybe bow-and-arrow too. But, basically fuck all options and really easy mode. Valhalla has:
    • Light attack
    • Heavy attack
    • Block
    • Parry
    • Dodge
    • Roll
    • Bow attack
    • Situational abilities (stomp, deathblow)
    • 4 active melee abilities
    • 4 active ranged abilities
    So, just in terms of capabilities, Valhalla beats all previous AC games. If the reviewer hasn't understood the system and so, in his own words, just runs around light-attacking and dodging, then kiting whilst he regens, thats on him, not the system. There are clues throughout his video that show he hasn't bothered learning all the combat mechanics. He found one strategy that works for him.....but is boring.....and has stuck with it.

Progression
    He also complains a lot about the lack of progression or how meaningless the progression feels to him. Part of that is related to his shit approach to combat, a lot seems to be attitude and false expectations.

The progression is not over-the-top vertical progression. Instead of going from 100 health to 50,000 health over the course of the game, you go from 100 to 500. Instead of going from 30 damage to 10,000 damage, you go from 30 to 200.

The progression is still there. It is still noticable. It still makes a difference. It's just not game-breakingly bad like a lot of modern loot-obsessed games. It doesn't immediately trivialise old content. Plus, there is more progression in Valhalla than in any of the previous AC games I've played! Because in most AC games, there is no character progression at all!

Side Quests
    We see endless complaints all over the internet about how shit sidequests are, how endless lists of filler content are just frustrating. So, Ubisoft did away with them. Instead, you get comletely optional sidequests which are very quick, done on the spot, and are most often just comical little bits of dialogue that help flesh out the viking age.

For some reason, the reviewer hates them. Thats fine, not much gameplay involved so I can understand the frustration, but as they are completely optional, stop bitching and just don't do them! No-one is making me hunt down every artefact, chest and mystery on the map, so I don't bother as i don't enjoy it. Take a little responsibility for your own choices!

Every single thing this reviewer has complained about just leads me to believe that he wants to mindlessly run around a world, killing everything in sight and then get loot for doing so. Just like a looter shooter. Which is so weird, because that is not what the AC series has ever been about.

It does make me wonder if AC Odyssey was a weird abomination in the series and has caused players to come to valhalla with twisted expectations.

I think the phrase which sums up the reviewers messed up point of view is (paraphrasing):

"RPGs are all about getting lots of loot and creating crazy builds".

The guy doesn't know what an RPG is, this sentence clearly shows his warped point of view. He also doesn't seem to realise that AC Valhalla is not an RPG.
    SovrathYashaX
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Well, as I mentioned in the another thread, I broke down and bought it as I wanted to play something new and gritty and Odyssey is just too damn sunny for my taste (though I love it nevertheless).

I am really enjoying this.

I can point to some gripes like how the movement is a little weird and sometimes realigning the avatar to face the right direction to smash something is a bit trying.

But that doesn't happen a lot. I'll either have to get used to alt for dodge or remap it. Though, if I remap it I'll have to remap some of the fighting skills and they seem fine.

I'm really enjoying the first area though I understand from this and other reviews that a lot of people didn't.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    YashaX said:

I was trying to understand the reviewers point of view, as not a single thing he complains about is a bug, just personal preference. So, I tried to understand his personal preference, especially given how previous AC games played. I came to the conclusion that his preferences have been warped by shallow loot games of the past 5 years.

For reference, I have played AC2, AC Brotherhood, AC3, AC4, AC Origins and now AC Valhalla. I haven't played Odyssey. I say this so u can understand my following points and forgive me for overlooking Odyssey.

Loot
    The guy complains about loot a lot, about the lack of it, how you acquire it and how long it takes to get what you want. This stands out as odd, as Valhalla has way more loot than any AC games I've played. Sure, origins seems to chuck shields and weapons at me all the time, but they were mostly higher level duplicates of what I already had. So, Valhalla does away with pointless duplications and instead just lets me upgrade the gear i already have, so I waste much less time checking through trash loot. Add in the various armour sets and Valhalla has way more gear than previous entries. I also seemed to get the new weapons and armour a lot quicker than the reviewer suggests.

Combat
    AC games are notoriously shallow when it comes to combat. It's usually just attack, "press x to block" and dodge. Maybe they have guns, maybe bow-and-arrow too. But, basically fuck all options and really easy mode. Valhalla has:
    • Light attack
    • Heavy attack
    • Block
    • Parry
    • Dodge
    • Roll
    • Bow attack
    • Situational abilities (stomp, deathblow)
    • 4 active melee abilities
    • 4 active ranged abilities
    So, just in terms of capabilities, Valhalla beats all previous AC games. If the reviewer hasn't understood the system and so, in his own words, just runs around light-attacking and dodging, then kiting whilst he regens, thats on him, not the system. There are clues throughout his video that show he hasn't bothered learning all the combat mechanics. He found one strategy that works for him.....but is boring.....and has stuck with it.

Progression
    He also complains a lot about the lack of progression or how meaningless the progression feels to him. Part of that is related to his shit approach to combat, a lot seems to be attitude and false expectations.

The progression is not over-the-top vertical progression. Instead of going from 100 health to 50,000 health over the course of the game, you go from 100 to 500. Instead of going from 30 damage to 10,000 damage, you go from 30 to 200.

The progression is still there. It is still noticable. It still makes a difference. It's just not game-breakingly bad like a lot of modern loot-obsessed games. It doesn't immediately trivialise old content. Plus, there is more progression in Valhalla than in any of the previous AC games I've played! Because in most AC games, there is no character progression at all!

Side Quests
    We see endless complaints all over the internet about how shit sidequests are, how endless lists of filler content are just frustrating. So, Ubisoft did away with them. Instead, you get comletely optional sidequests which are very quick, done on the spot, and are most often just comical little bits of dialogue that help flesh out the viking age.

For some reason, the reviewer hates them. Thats fine, not much gameplay involved so I can understand the frustration, but as they are completely optional, stop bitching and just don't do them! No-one is making me hunt down every artefact, chest and mystery on the map, so I don't bother as i don't enjoy it. Take a little responsibility for your own choices!

Every single thing this reviewer has complained about just leads me to believe that he wants to mindlessly run around a world, killing everything in sight and then get loot for doing so. Just like a looter shooter. Which is so weird, because that is not what the AC series has ever been about.

It does make me wonder if AC Odyssey was a weird abomination in the series and has caused players to come to valhalla with twisted expectations.

I think the phrase which sums up the reviewers messed up point of view is (paraphrasing):

"RPGs are all about getting lots of loot and creating crazy builds".

The guy doesn't know what an RPG is, this sentence clearly shows his warped point of view. He also doesn't seem to realise that AC Valhalla is not an RPG.

Something tells me a fair review is in the middle of you and that reviewer. 

I can definitely see why people would be underwhelmed with the skill tree.  Hell, plenty of people still crap on most of the crummy nodes in POE's skill tree as well.  But they are there to help you optimize your choices to get to the nodes you really want.

Itemization has always been crappy in AC.  And I can understand being annoyed that the type of arrows you need aren't dropping.  Some AC games drop the stuff you need quite often and others are a bit of a pita to find.

Different people like different things.  Neither your review nor theirs is BS.  It's personal taste.
    YashaX
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited November 2020
    I think if AC wants to keep going down the RPG route with Melee/Ranged/Stealth choices, they should take notes from Kingdoms of Amalur's skill trees. Those very much succeed at what AC is trying to do.

And in fact, maybe you should be rewarded with costumes or other aesthetics based on your skill tree choices, with official titles. "Eivor the Assassin" for stealth, "Eivor the Warrior" for melee, "Eivor the Archer" for ranged, "Eivor the Raider" for Melee/Stealth, "Eivor the Ranger" for melee/ranged, etc.
    FrodoFragins
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm finding the enemy AI around camps disappointing, they're far too stupid. There's also lots to enjoy. There's a few gameplay options to play with still.

The guys video sounded like whining to me because he exaggerated so much. The Dagger bit was ridiculous and not accurate at all. 
    [Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

YashaX said:

Something tells me a fair review is in the middle of you and that reviewer. 

I can definitely see why people would be underwhelmed with the skill tree.  Hell, plenty of people still crap on most of the crummy nodes in POE's skill tree as well.  But they are there to help you optimize your choices to get to the nodes you really want.

Itemization has always been crappy in AC.  And I can understand being annoyed that the type of arrows you need aren't dropping.  Some AC games drop the stuff you need quite often and others are a bit of a pita to find.

Different people like different things.  Neither your review nor theirs is BS.  It's personal taste.

Oh, I'm not denying that there are legitimate problems with the game, just like any game there are obviously issues. It's an action combat game, so the combat is shallow (just like every action combat game ever). There are bugs, I've fallen through the floor once, got stuck and died on a wall once. There are continuity errors in the story, im guessing because I made one choice but the game expected me to make another (e.g. when leaving norway, my dad had to pay some money for me killing 2 guards....except i never killed 2 guards). The game isn't good at feedback (i.e. numbers on screen), so whilst progression matters, you aren't getting any feedback to let you know for certain. The training / tutorial is also lacking, took me maybe 5 hours before i realised the importance of the defence / stun mechanics.

I just had a problem with that one video's points of view as they made absolutely no sense whatsoever within the context of the assassins creed series. Every complaint he made could be leveled at nearly every game in the series!

For me, Valhalla feels like the natural evolution of the Assassins Creed series. Everything is slightly better than it was before: slightly better combat, better quests, better world, better loot, better progression etc. Hell, I'm even enjoying the story, and I hate story in my games! I doubt it will match the story height of AC2 - I got to kill the pope! as an atheist, that was amazing - but so far it's close.

It's not a giant leap forwards. It's not a completely different type of game.

So, in that respect, if you didn't enjoy the previous AC games, you probably won't like this one either. If you did, then this one will give you everything you enjoyed, with marginal improvements and in a different setting.

YashaX said:
    Asheram said:
    To each his own I guess.

Its always awesome when you find a game you can really dig your teeth into and enjoy. What aspects of it do you find compelling compared to previous games in the series or other similar games? 
    I guess it would have to be the setting, though I would have rather played as the brits defending my land rather than the viking invaders.

Asheram said:
    YashaX said:
    Asheram said:
    To each his own I guess.

I guess it would have to be the setting, though I would have rather played as the brits defending my land rather than the viking invaders.

Not me. I always rooted for the vikings on those shows over the joyless, conniving Christians.
    [Deleted User]FrodoFraginsYashaXcameltosis
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Not me. I always rooted for the vikings on those shows over the joyless, conniving Christians.
    Maybe you should leave your joyless religious baiting for another forum. We're here to talk about gaming.

Sigh.  He was addressing the comment someone made about wanting to play as the Brits. I tend to agree as I rooted for the Viking "Heathens" as well.
    YashaX
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Yeah, I couldn't get through the entire video because all he did was whine. Even if some of his complaints might be valid, it came across as rather pathetic. I wanted to shout at him to stop being such a crybaby. Seriously, go have a good cry, get it out, and come back and try again.
    I found just his voice very annoying. I think this is someone who even when he isn't whining would sound like he is :)

However I did find out something I didn't know which I would also find a big turn off in an RPG: no loot drops. I need my shinnies.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited November 2020
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Maybe you should leave your joyless religious baiting for another forum. We're here to talk about gaming.

laserit said:
    I'm finding the enemy AI around camps disappointing, they're far too stupid. There's also lots to enjoy. There's a few gameplay options to play with still.

The guys video sounded like whining to me because he exaggerated so much. The Dagger bit was ridiculous and not accurate at all. 

Yeah, I couldn't get through the entire video because all he did was whine. Even if some of his complaints might be valid, it came across as rather pathetic. I wanted to shout at him to stop being such a crybaby. Seriously, go have a good cry, get it out, and come back and try again.
    For what it's worth, I was talking about the Christians as portrayed in Last Kingdom and Vikings (the popularity of which is very relevant to this setting being selected, I'm sure). The portrayal was NOT flattering.
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

Sigh.  He was addressing the comment someone made about wanting to play as the Brits. I tend to agree as I rooted for the Viking "Heathens" as well.
    I said brits, mentioned nothing at all about religion. 
    [Deleted User]
    Asheram said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

I said brits, mentioned nothing at all about religion. 
    The two were essentially and powerfully connected at the time period. 
    edited November 2020
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

laserit said:

For what it's worth, I was talking about the Christians as portrayed in Last Kingdom and Vikings (the popularity of which is very relevant to this setting being selected, I'm sure). The portrayal was NOT flattering.
    Not all the Brits in the Last Kingdom were christian, the main character was married to pagan from Britland and the ones that were were not all bad. I mean The Last Kingdom doesn't portray Alfred as a villain unlike the trailers I have seen for AC:V. Dont know if thats just how it was drawn as I am not that far into game yet.

Plus the dlc is going to be invading Ireland heathens too and I would rather play as them as well. Too bad the game didnt let you pick which side you want to be on.

Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

I get the context, the additional nasty comments are unnecessary. And Vikings weren't heathens. They had their own religion as well and it wasn't "heathen". Making nasty comments about others religions here is outside the scope of the discussion whether that's Christians, Muslims, or any others. I'm of Viking descent and we were a conniving lot as well. You don't become feared raiders otherwise, but that has nothing to do with Nordic religions.
    I used that word based on what the Christian leaders called them at that time.