Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't there more Nudity ?

UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 4,910
Have you ever noticed that MMO's try to dance the line of nudity, with very few exceptions, like Conan, and Rust, for example.

I wonder why that is, that there is sexualization with skimpy outfits and people (mainly females) going off to fight dragons in what amounts to 3 postage stamps and shin guards.

I mean, it is some nudity rule, like I know in some Asian countries you can show all the "Almost" nudity you want, but anything that shows actual nudity needs to be censored. 

and also, why aren't guys sexualized as well?
Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
XodiciixviiiixAlBQuirky
«134567

Comments

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,239
    I run a bad movie night with some friends (have done so for 10+ years now) and when I'm searching for a "bad movie" I usually end up on some site with a discussion about the particular movie I'm looking at.

    I see people very much loving the gore for some of these things but as soon as there is some nudity the posts saying "go watch porn" start cropping up.

    So seeing people ripped apart is perfectly ok but as soon as there is skin then it doesn't belong? 

    I think it's about people being prudish.

    Having said that and having played many mmorpg's over the years, a good many of the vocal players just aren't mature enough to handle it.

    stack that with people coming from all walks of life and some just don't feel nudity is acceptable, and it's easier to just keep it out of the game.

    Games set in certain worlds such as the Conan world are very much about what they are about and anyone finding themselves there should know that.
    MendelUngoodtzervoAlBQuirkyxpsyncxDjevikHluillGladDog
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,095
    edited November 2020
    Ungood said:
    Have you ever noticed that MMO's try to dance the line of nudity, with very few exceptions, like Conan, and Rust, for example.

    I wonder why that is, that there is sexualization with skimpy outfits and people (mainly females) going off to fight dragons in what amounts to 3 postage stamps and shin guards.

    I mean, it is some nudity rule, like I know in some Asian countries you can show all the "Almost" nudity you want, but anything that shows actual nudity needs to be censored. 

    and also, why aren't guys sexualized as well?
    On average movies rated PG-13 and under make more money as a whole, then 14+ to R movies. My guess, the more lines you cross, swearing, overly graphical violence and nudity. The less people can or will buy the game. My guess its money. The day morals no longer matter, Im sure everything will be in the games and movies. 
    ScotAmatheKyleranTorvalTwistedSister77UngoodAlBQuirkySequriem
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Does me playing in my skivvies count?
    kitaraddragonlee66UngoodNyghthowlerAlBQuirkyGladDog

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,239
    Nanfoodle said:
    Ungood said:
    Have you ever noticed that MMO's try to dance the line of nudity, with very few exceptions, like Conan, and Rust, for example.

    I wonder why that is, that there is sexualization with skimpy outfits and people (mainly females) going off to fight dragons in what amounts to 3 postage stamps and shin guards.

    I mean, it is some nudity rule, like I know in some Asian countries you can show all the "Almost" nudity you want, but anything that shows actual nudity needs to be censored. 

    and also, why aren't guys sexualized as well?
    On average movies rated PG-13 and under make more money as a whole, then 14+ to R movies. My guess, the more lines you cross, swearing, overly graphical violence and nudity. The less people can or will buy the game. My guess its money. The day morals no longer matter, Im sure everything will be in the games and movies. 
    I don't find nudity or even profanity immoral. However, I bet dollars to donuts a good many people do and then your explanation about money comes into play.

    Yet, the game of thrones HBO series had a huge following and I bet made quite a bit of money and it had swearing, violence and nudity.

    I'm thinking that a property has to be "done right" in order for those things not to matter to the majority.
    UngoodAlBQuirkyAzaron_Nightblade
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 441
    We had MMO, called "Scarlet blade". Nude women avatars, everything sexualized. Then, there was (not sure if still exists) MMo "Red light district.
    And many adult-themed mmos that just did not survive. Looks like there is too little market for these.
    KyleranUngoodAlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,231
    edited November 2020
    I am quite happy that MMORPG's stay as they are if it means my avatar doesn't have to wear a thong. Thanks. 
    KyleranUngoodAlBQuirkyHawkaya399

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,239
    We had MMO, called "Scarlet blade". Nude women avatars, everything sexualized. Then, there was (not sure if still exists) MMo "Red light district.
    And many adult-themed mmos that just did not survive. Looks like there is too little market for these.
    I would bet games like those target a very specific audience.

    There is a difference between the gritty over the top world of Conan (which can and did attract the attention of teenage boys) and those games that are definitely aiming at the teenage boy "tee hee boobs" demographic.

    They are just about titillation whereas a game set in the Conan universe feels like it has more integrity.

    and titillation.

    I guess it comes down to whether the game (or movie or whatever) comes across as extremely juvenile with no other redeeming characteristics or not.
    UngoodAlBQuirkyAzaron_Nightblade
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,095
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Ungood said:
    Have you ever noticed that MMO's try to dance the line of nudity, with very few exceptions, like Conan, and Rust, for example.

    I wonder why that is, that there is sexualization with skimpy outfits and people (mainly females) going off to fight dragons in what amounts to 3 postage stamps and shin guards.

    I mean, it is some nudity rule, like I know in some Asian countries you can show all the "Almost" nudity you want, but anything that shows actual nudity needs to be censored. 

    and also, why aren't guys sexualized as well?
    On average movies rated PG-13 and under make more money as a whole, then 14+ to R movies. My guess, the more lines you cross, swearing, overly graphical violence and nudity. The less people can or will buy the game. My guess its money. The day morals no longer matter, Im sure everything will be in the games and movies. 
    I don't find nudity or even profanity immoral. However, I bet dollars to donuts a good many people do and then your explanation about money comes into play.

    Yet, the game of thrones HBO series had a huge following and I bet made quite a bit of money and it had swearing, violence and nudity.

    I'm thinking that a property has to be "done right" in order for those things not to matter to the majority.
    I am not judging, I said when there is "No Morals". Societies historically chuck out more and more morals till there is none left. Then like the Roman Empire, thats about when they collapse. Will the modern world do the same? None the less, if history repeats itself. There will be a time in our modern world, that morals will be completely chucked away. Thats when game ratings wont matter =-)   
    WhiteLanternUngoodAlBQuirkyGladDog
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,239
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Ungood said:
    Have you ever noticed that MMO's try to dance the line of nudity, with very few exceptions, like Conan, and Rust, for example.

    I wonder why that is, that there is sexualization with skimpy outfits and people (mainly females) going off to fight dragons in what amounts to 3 postage stamps and shin guards.

    I mean, it is some nudity rule, like I know in some Asian countries you can show all the "Almost" nudity you want, but anything that shows actual nudity needs to be censored. 

    and also, why aren't guys sexualized as well?
    On average movies rated PG-13 and under make more money as a whole, then 14+ to R movies. My guess, the more lines you cross, swearing, overly graphical violence and nudity. The less people can or will buy the game. My guess its money. The day morals no longer matter, Im sure everything will be in the games and movies. 
    I don't find nudity or even profanity immoral. However, I bet dollars to donuts a good many people do and then your explanation about money comes into play.

    Yet, the game of thrones HBO series had a huge following and I bet made quite a bit of money and it had swearing, violence and nudity.

    I'm thinking that a property has to be "done right" in order for those things not to matter to the majority.
    I am not judging, I said when there is "No Morals". Societies historically chuck out more and more morals till there is none left. Then like the Roman Empire, thats about when they collapse. Will the modern world do the same? None the less, if history repeats itself. There will be a time in our modern world, that morals will be completely chucked away. Thats when game ratings wont matter =-)   
    Oh I'm not saying you are judging but I'm sure the Roman Empire fell because of several other reasons that have nothing to do with profanity or nudity.

    I'm going to say Barbarians, corrupt officials and over expansion are in there somewhere.
    NanfoodleUngoodiixviiiixAlBQuirky
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,687
    Even if you want to watch porn, do you really want it shoved in your face all day without ever being rid of the distraction?  People commonly play MMOs for hours at a time.  That is not the typical use case for porn.
    NanfoodleTorvalUngoodCryomatrixAlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,239
    Quizzical said:
    Even if you want to watch porn, do you really want it shoved in your face all day without ever being rid of the distraction?  People commonly play MMOs for hours at a time.  That is not the typical use case for porn.
    lol I think there was a friends episode like this. It just wouldn't turn off of their television.
    strawhat0981NanfoodleUngoodAlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,036
    For me it's a matter of practicality, I find it harder to enjoy games with overly sexualized characters.

    That said my female character in Fallout 76 is outfitted in your basic "barbarian loincloth" attire.
    SovrathUngoodYashaXAlBQuirkyHluill

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,095
    Quizzical said:
    Even if you want to watch porn, do you really want it shoved in your face all day without ever being rid of the distraction?  People commonly play MMOs for hours at a time.  That is not the typical use case for porn.
    I see a Harpie flying with no shirt I dont mind. Thats not sexulized. As always context matters. I will be honest, Im kinda a bit of a prude. I dont want to know about anyone's sex life. Or that of an avatar in a game. When I see a family in a game, I just picture a digital stork brought the kids. 
    KyleranSovrathUngoodAlBQuirkyHluillGladDog
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Nanfoodle said:
    ... Im kinda a bit of a prude.
    So, nickname now Nanprudel?
    SovrathMendelNanfoodleYashaXAlBQuirkyAzaron_Nightblade

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,239
    Amathe said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    ... Im kinda a bit of a prude.
    So, nickname now Nanprudel?
    Is it a "lol" or an "insightful ... " not sure ...
    YashaXAmatheAlBQuirkyBig.Daddy.Samedi
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,249
    Nanfoodle said:
    Quizzical said:
    Even if you want to watch porn, do you really want it shoved in your face all day without ever being rid of the distraction?  People commonly play MMOs for hours at a time.  That is not the typical use case for porn.
    I see a Harpie flying with no shirt I dont mind. Thats not sexulized. As always context matters. I will be honest, Im kinda a bit of a prude. I dont want to know about anyone's sex life. Or that of an avatar in a game. When I see a family in a game, I just picture a digital stork brought the kids. 

    The stork must be digitally coded into the character creation screens, then.  I wonder if there's a special stork in charge of the boob slider mechanics?



    NanfoodleUngoodAlBQuirky

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,657
    edited November 2020
    I'd rather have less explicit sex, gore, and grittiness in my online games and prefer to leave that for my imagination. Currently Fallout 76 just about pushes the limit with what I enjoy and wouldn't want more of it. DOOM 2016 also was close, but less extreme than it was made out to be in all the promo clips and adverts. I don't use full nudity "pee-pee" mode in Conan Exiles and I hate the pooping in ARK. Go figure.

    The same is true for serials and movies. I like PG-13 at the most. You can throw whatever labels you want on me but that's what I enjoy so that's what I tend to pay for. It's also rather subjective and not always consistent. I don't parse through everything with a checklist. I tend to give stuff a go and if I find it crosses some line and undermines the enjoyment, then I skip it.
    NanfoodleUngoodAlBQuirkyxpsyncHluill
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,095
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    ... Im kinda a bit of a prude.
    So, nickname now Nanprudel?
    Is it a "lol" or an "insightful ... " not sure ...
    Nanprudel makes me seem more Flanders then a Gnome mage my name came from but my rule has always been, if you feed me, you can call me anything =-)
    UngoodAmatheAlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,239
    Torval said:
    I'd rather have less explicit sex, gore, and grittiness in my online games and prefer to leave that for my imagination. Currently Fallout 76 just about pushes the limit with what I enjoy and wouldn't want more of it. DOOM 2016 also was close, but less extreme than it was made out to be in all the promo clips and adverts. I don't use full nudity "pee-pee" mode in Conan Exiles and I hate the pooping in ARK. Go figure.

    The same is true for serials and movies. I like PG-13 at the most. You can throw whatever labels you want on me but that's what I enjoy so that's what I tend to pay for. It's also rather subjective and not always consistent. I don't parse through everything with a checklist. I tend to give stuff a go and if I find it crosses some line and undermines the enjoyment, then I skip it.
    I suppose for me it depends on the game.

    I'd never play a game that had a sole purpose to titillate. I do like shows/movies that are grittier with the exception of mafia shows/movies. Too real for me and hits a bit too close to home.

    What they did on game of thrones was fine, right up my alley.

    However, I think it's ridiculous to shoehorn nudity or profanity or extreme violence into everything.

    For example, I finished the Dragon's Dogma anime on netflix and felt that each episode was way too short and didn't really earn "the right" to put in the level of nudity/sex that they did.

    It felt like it was tacked on.

    had the show been an hour + and they fleshed out the world and characters more, I possibly could have bought into it.


    UngoodAlBQuirkyHluill
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,095
    Torval said:
    I'd rather have less explicit sex, gore, and grittiness in my online games and prefer to leave that for my imagination. Currently Fallout 76 just about pushes the limit with what I enjoy and wouldn't want more of it. DOOM 2016 also was close, but less extreme than it was made out to be in all the promo clips and adverts. I don't use full nudity "pee-pee" mode in Conan Exiles and I hate the pooping in ARK. Go figure.

    The same is true for serials and movies. I like PG-13 at the most. You can throw whatever labels you want on me but that's what I enjoy so that's what I tend to pay for. It's also rather subjective and not always consistent. I don't parse through everything with a checklist. I tend to give stuff a go and if I find it crosses some line and undermines the enjoyment, then I skip it.
    I feel ya on that. I have only played a few M rated games and they were ones where I could choose the content. So I avoided things I didnt want to see. I have an extensive movie lib and its 99.99% PG-13. I love the Avengers movies and how they have held steady to keeping things balanced. 
    UngoodTorvalAlBQuirky
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,781
    Well naturally is quite ok to kill, maim, and ransack your enemies, but showing some nudity, well that's just morally repugnant.

    Btw, I think many games do sexualize men as well, and I think that's great. Maybe if you are a straight male you just don't notice it as much. 
    UngoodAlBQuirkyHluill
    ....
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,289
    Yeah should be both sexes. I have no issues with it as long as it is lore appropriate and rated game. Of course some games have no lore for that and it is applied across the board and I have no problem with it either. If you can cut off limbs and blood, gore spills everywhere it is ludicrous to complain about nudity and  it is terribly screwed up.
    YashaXUngoodSovrathcheyaneAlBQuirkyHluill

  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member RarePosts: 6,593
    I remember reading in either the Belgarian or the Mallorean series or maybe it was in polgara's book. Anyway she said something to the effect of you'll cut a man in half splatter their brains and their entrails all around and not bat an eye but as soon as you birthing fluids or anything else related to anything like that you turn green and leave. I've talked about this with my wife too and I think it's pretty much true.

    I still think it's funny though.
    UngoodAlBQuirkyHluill
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,451
    I have no problem with nudity, but I'm an adult and society says I'm mature enough to enjoy it.
    UngoodSovrathAlBQuirky

  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,796
    I dunno... often times.. we hear.. that women are disproportionately geared as too sexy.. and yes.. maybe that's true.

    But men are also quite disproportionately stripping their armor off and running around hubs, or joining pvp matches naked, for generally no purpose other than just to be annoying. 

    I fear for what nudity would do, in the hands of children.. and I don't mean children by their age.. I mean mentally. 
    TorvalUngoodAlBQuirky



Sign In or Register to comment.