Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's the Latest Roadmap Roundup from Star Citizen | MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    tzervo said:
    laserit said:
    The Suez Canal only cost 100 million to make, more than double the original budget ;)
    When?

That would be a few billions today.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1859?amount=100000000
    Of course we all know that a dollar sent to CIG is worth four more than some other company.  

So with known outside investment, SC should be the equivalent of 1.5 billion now, right?
    Kyleran

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited November 2020
    I know you can buy ships, but I'm holding out...

When can we buy planets?

(Darnit, gave a freebie idea to the marketing team) :D
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    Babuinix said:

Presenting facts and other reality's of game development of several other studios and games is not being a zealot or a "fighting" negativity! Just because it exposes the flaws in the logic of people who've clearly have little knowledge about the subject at hand and haven't put much thought about it.

You're inability to accept the fact that you don't know enough about a project you've clearly got no empirical knowledge and much less to form an informed and viable opinion or theory leaves you with the only option to resort to more uninformed assumptions in an attempt to bend reality into a line of though that makes sense to you.

That's why instead of acknowledging and discussing the issue at hand and (like the several mentioned examples of games and companies who've also spent many years working on other projects) and giving your insight you needed to leap beyond reasoning and logic and straight into an line of thought of assumption that I've dumped a "monstrous" amount of money into the game (which I haven't, unless you consider ~200$ throughout 6 years a "monstrous" amount) therefore any facts and points presented are irrelevant even if they rip to shreds the many uninformed and ignorant conspiracy theory's are mostly nurtured from a deep negativity bias and lack of knowledge of the subject at hand.

Not commenting on SC here, but the graphic makes Conspiracy theories look like a development of wisdom. Not sure that's the intention. :)
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

When can we buy planets?

Star Citizen already sold land on the planets. The cost of small claim was $50 and large claim was $100.

Of course anyone buying land also needs access to construction ship, sold starting $750.

The land claims were scheduled to be implemented in game in December 2018. Then they were removed from roadmap and haven't been heard since.
    TwistedSister77[Deleted User]TillerFrodoFraginsKyleran

edited November 2020
    Vrika said:

When can we buy planets?

Star Citizen already sold land on the planets. The cost of small claim was $50 and large claim was $100.

Of course anyone buying land also needs access to construction ship, sold starting $750.

The land claims were scheduled to be implemented in game in December 2018. Then they were removed from roadmap and haven't been heard since.
    Wow, I was joking.  

But I want planet Twisted Sister...

"I WANNA ROCK!"

Hey - let me buy a planet and make it a planet of THE 1980s. 

We can solve the lore of why it exists (multiverse, alien fascination that duplicated the planet out of fear of human nuclear end game... etc)

Visitors that come would have to wear 1980s attire and use/buy 1980s tech on planet (aside from coms and some hidden tech, they dock in orbit).  

You can party, relive the 80s, go on dangerous cold war missions... mine for precious items (uranium or something we didn't know about), get rare collectables only available here (eg how about famous Hollywood props... Ghostbusters gear, Indiana Jones Hat/Whip).

I guarantee, if done right, it would be a mecca and a boom to SC.  Slightly lore breaking, but... 

The big $$ backers of SC would gobble this up.
    Post edited by TwistedSister77 on
    [Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Babuinix said:

Star Citizen is master of giving its fans huge dumps of information but no knowledge so that it's as easy as possible for their community to make and believe in unicorns.
    GdemamiScot

Vrika said:

When can we buy planets?

But CIG needed the money then!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Vrika said:

When can we buy planets?

Wow.  $750 before you can even build on your land?

So there is a line they've decided they can't cross.  At least for now.  
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited November 2020
    Vrika said:
    Star Citizen is master of giving its fans huge dumps of information but no knowledge so that it's as easy as possible for their community to make and believe in unicorns.
    That's because knowledge is not given, it is acquired. Something that clearly is lacking in most game development discussions around here and specially prevalent with the "angry gamers" who recurrently need to create their own "unicorns" as a way to fix the discomfort of not grasping the subject at hand, which is wrapping an idea that their brain can accept and sleep comfortable with. You naively mixing them to prove a point is just another sad example of exactly that.
    After all these years and there's still people who understand the concept of Crowdfunding and pledging to support a project. If such a simple concept is hard to understand to those people no wonder they also fail to realise that ships and their features are accessible to every player by just playing and getting ingame credits. Sad we keep having to bury these unicorns of negativity in these hills haters so adamantly have decided to die on which could have simply been spared if only they would have put in just a bit of effort in acquiring knowledge. Oh well. :)
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    [Deleted User]
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

When can we buy planets?

You can already buy land.  A planet is really just a lot of land.
    edited November 2020
    Babuinix said:

<snipped personal attacks on intelligence>

ships and their features are accessible to every player by just playing and getting ingame credits. 

I'm sorry but you can't use a blanket statement like that without giving exact numbers of hours required to get those credits.  Is it feasible to acquire those credits in a month?  6 months?  A year?  What other things are you passing up to use your credits there?  Do you even know the answer to these questions at this point?

Nothing in the SC business model makes me think it will be feasible to all but the top 1% of players.

[Deleted User]GdemamiMendelKyleranNilden
    edited November 2020
    I'm sorry but you can't use a blanket statement like that without giving exact numbers of hours required to get those credits.  Is it feasible to acquire those credits in a month?  6 months?  A year?  What other things are you passing up to use your credits there?  Do you even know the answer to these questions at this point?

Nothing in the SC business model makes me think it will be feasible to all but the top 1% of players.
    Ofc I can, this is not a linear themepark we're talking about lol. Like any sandbox skillbased game you have multiple ways to earn credits and many more on how to spend them.
    And that ladies and gentlemen, is the birth of a new unicorn! :D

KyleranFrodoFragins
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    I've never actually seen any roadmap in my 45 years of professional high tech that didn't have an end date. Normally, you schedule by targeting an end date, and then creating a roadmap for how to get there.

SC's "roadmap" has no destination. No schedule. No Gantt  or Pert charts.

SC's "roadmap" is more like "we're just gonna drive this direction for a while, and then see where we are."
    GdemamiMendelArglebargleKyleranNilden

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Babuinix said:

Ofc I can, this is not a linear themepark we're talking about lol. Like any sandbox skillbased game you have multiple ways to earn credits and many more on how to spend them.

IE, You don't know, and probably CIG doesn't know either.  They're still struggling to get basic stuff to work right (and stop elevators from killing you), so ways to earn ingame credits are a lower priority guess-in-progress.

Granted, it's not super relevant now, but I doubt they're going to be strangling the goose that lays the golden eggs.   Given the time frames, we won't have to worry about it for years and years....

olepi said:
    I've never actually seen any roadmap in my 45 years of professional high tech that didn't have an end date. Normally, you schedule by targeting an end date, and then creating a roadmap for how to get there.

SC's "roadmap" has no destination. No schedule. No Gantt  or Pert charts.

SC's "roadmap" is more like "we're just gonna drive this direction for a while, and then see where we are."
    You've probably never been your own boss and wanted to build a video-game like never before. It's ok, ambitious game development is not for everyone and if it was easy someone else would have made it by now. I'm sure CDProject Red had their roadmap all planned from releasing a teaser trailer in 2012 and launching their game in 2020, probably added the delays to their roadmap as a marketing stunt :)
    IE, You don't know, and probably CIG doesn't know either.  They're still struggling to get basic stuff to work right (and stop elevators from killing you), so ways to earn ingame credits are a lower priority guess-in-progress.

Granted, it's not super relevant now, but I doubt they're going to be strangling the goose that lays the golden eggs.   Given the time frames, we won't have to worry about it for years and years....
    CIG knows just like any backer who's actually been playing the game knows. The only ones struggling to get basic stuff understood are those out of the loop, hence their need to keep giving birth to stillborn unicorns to cope lol
    Kyleran
    edited November 2020
    SC quoted Buzz Lightyear on roadmap dates...

"To Infinity and beyond!"

[Deleted User]
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Babuinix said:

<snipped personal attacks on intelligence>

ships and their features are accessible to every player by just playing and getting ingame credits. 

It's more of an excuse to point to and say, "See totally not pay 2 win!" while people are spending tens of thousands of dollars on virtual space ships.

It's not only the most expensive video game ever made it's also the most pay to win.

That's going to remain true regardless of the viability or feasibility of the in game credits. Face it you already know it's going to be 6 months or a year and there is no way in Hell it will be a day or an hour.

GdemamiBabuinix

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited November 2020
    Babuinix said:

And that ladies and gentlemen, is the birth of a new unicorn! :D

If you think CIG is going to let average players access a $750 ship in less than a year, you are the misinformed one.  Oh and nobody can answer those questions because they are years away from even figuring out how to best gouge the players for more cash.

I love how you just assume it's all going to work out when they are already six years behind on the single player portion with nothing playable from it.  You probably believe the lie that they are hiding progress in order to keep the story elements a secret.

The only unicorn here is the idea of SC releasing anywhere close to what was promised.
    edited November 2020
    Nilden said:
    It's more of an excuse to point to and say, "See totally not pay 2 win!" while people are spending tens of thousands of dollars on virtual space ships.
    It's not only the most expensive video game ever made it's also the most pay to win.
    That's going to remain true regardless of the viability or feasibility of the in game credits. Face it you already know it's going to be 6 months or a year and there is no way in Hell it will be a day or an hour.
    Most online games will have people paying thousands of dollars on virtual goods or whatever they feel like. From the Ultima days to Diablo, WoW, Planetside, FIFA and most mobile games and all mmorpgs.

Since Star Citizen is very skill-based and you can get access to everything by just playing the game with ships being just tools and not "leet mmorpg gear" or I-Win buttons it's definitely not P2W and more Pay 2 Shortcut which is irrelevant because there will always be people with more $$$ and Time than you, always.

It's not even close to being the most expensive video game ever and definitely not the most pay 2 win but you seem to have a unicorn to ride so you'll ignore that the many games make in one quarter what Star Citizen crowdfunded in 8 years.

If you knew anything about the game you'd know that you can easily rent most of ships for a very low amount of credits to try them out and do harder missions or fight harder enemy's. If you knew anything about the game you would also know that more expensive ship doesn't mean better ship or instant I-Win. Every players, independently of it's ship can absolutely be destroyed and killed by smarter and more skilled players.

The current most expensive ship ingame is the space yatch 890 Jump which sells ingame for 32,294,500 Credits and costs about 890$ IRL.

Go on youtube and search for - Star Citizen Money guide - and you'll have dozens of videos showing people making credits easily by just playing smart. A good player could absolutely get that ship in under a month playing solo and with friends in a week or less.

If you knew anything about the game you'd know that ship's need to be maintained and all have their pros and cons, there's not one to rule them all. This is not a casual theme park wow game where you get your hand of rag and BIS gear or reach R14 and you're done lol. This is a skill based game where your actual skill of flying a ship will impact your money Per hour when doing quests or Mining and Trading. Your skill in FPS shooting will impact how good you can clean PVE bunkers, your intelligence and social skills will help just as much if you're bounty hunting other players who've gone rogue.
    If you think CIG is going to let average players access a $750 ship in less than a year, you are the misinformed one.  Oh and nobody can answer those questions because they are years away from even figuring out how to best gouge the players for more cash.

I love how you just assume it's all going to work out when they are already six years behind on the single player portion with nothing playable from it.  You probably believe the lie that they are hiding progress in order to keep the story elements a secret.

The only unicorn here is the idea of SC releasing anywhere close to what was promised.
    Yeah, riding that unicorn again lol. Read above.
    Post edited by Babuinix on