Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands - Returning Player Guide To Shadowlands' Biggest Changes | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft: Shadowlands - Returning Player Guide To Shadowlands' Biggest Changes | MMORPG.com

Shadowlands is bringing with it some monumental changes to World of Warcraft. This guide is intended to help players who used to play World of Warcraft but have been out of the game for a while and have now returned after the 9.0 Shadowlands pre-patch. There will also be a new player guide, which we will link to once it's posted.

Read the full story here

Comments

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    "If you happen to hit level 50 before you finish an expansions’ content, you’ll also have the option to stay in Chromie time to finish what you are doing."

Did they change that recently? at 50 I was bumped straight to orgrimmar, yes i could go back and do the quests but all gray. It's like chromie is done!

The new system is far superior for leveling, its made wow a game again. Leveling before was comprised mainly of watching Netflix while bouncing off the atmosphere of every expansion.

Now? I play the game, f netflix.

I'm in wod funny enough, i didn't take it because it's the fastest, i took it as it's without question my least played expansion. I'd get my toons a few levels higher, like 92-93, then checkout at 98 and head to legion. Basically build the garrison and gone.

So got me wondering what the xpac had to offer. being honest, i've done the whole expansion so far on a warrior, almost capped and i never played a warrior, and as i was afraid, not a big fan of the class after all.

So either that or the expansion, or both, wod is a big "Meh", for me. I mean at one point i was warming up to the warrior, then thought i should get my last class "shaman" (which i need to have all 12 classes capped) for a spin through the reach and park in Org for rest xp, lol, like you need it, anyway that only made it even harder to return to the warrior.

Still, been there done that, been a few classes i just plowed through to cap them, a goal is a goal.

So wod is better to me than it's ever been if that makes sense, just saying it ain't that bad when compressed into it's own entity.

It's kind of you to mention about the crafting, silly me was determined to start at one and go to cap as i was unaware at first and even when i became aware, old school i guess, it felt wrong, i acclimated/adapted, now makes perfect sense.

So... i've only really done (almost/close) one chromie. WoD with a warrior, i did Pandaria but was half way to cap, but...

i'm still a little unsure how this works.

Pick expansion at 10, it's starts off fine, but side quests are so tempting that i was 35 by the time i wrapped up the first zone, eerily familiar to the old probs. That means at the time i had 4 zones left and only 15 levels to do them in after using 25 to do one.

My problem seems to be how does one know the difference, how does one stay on only the main quests. I know! don't do side quests, haha, ofc, but how does one know which is which? I mean it would have be extremely prudent after selling this chromie as a story path to MARK THE PATH! lmao.
    ArleeDragnelus
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    The squish has been brilliant. Trying to level before was horrendously painful before. Leveling to 130 when every level feels exactly the same and you only get new skills every 15 levels was beyond bad. Now you get new skills about every other level and the leveling is super fast. Once you go to scalable leveling then you have to make it quick because it is very boring doing scalable leveling. Also the squish has made the content more difficult. It is by no means hard but it is possible to die now while questing and leveling dungeons you can wipe once in a while. Nothing crazy but at least you have to pay attention which is a huge improvement. Well Done Blizzard
    xpsync
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I have been playing the Exiles Reach with a starter account on the pre-patch just to get re-acquainted with the game and classes. It's a good 1-10 leveling area and finishing it off with a group (or not) mini dungeon is excellent. 

Not that it matters in the long run a you level up, but I did notice that the 1-10 leveling for different classes is not even close to being equal. Hunters are OP'd as hell during that stretch and make every other class feel wimpy by comparison. It may not be a new thing as I haven't played for a while but I don't remember those early levels as being so drastically different going from one class to another.
    xpsync
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

@vtravi

I have noticed it's not nearly as face roll as before, i think much of it is encountering mobs which are expecting you to have a certain amount of gear.

For example i could not for the life of me defeat a ! mob, tried everything like 6 or 7 attempts, at that time i was queued for headless, it popped and i landed a really nice piece of gear.

Put that on while standing right in front of the ! i'm like since i'm here may as well die one more time, and it dropped like level 1 rat. Huh?
    Arlee

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited November 2020

xpsync said:

"If you happen to hit level 50 before you finish an expansions’ content, you’ll also have the option to stay in Chromie time to finish what you are doing."

Did they change that recently? at 50 I was bumped straight to orgrimmar, yes i could go back and do the quests but all gray. It's like chromie is done!

Yep! They fixed fairly shortly after it was discovered that happened and everyone was like, "that's terrible". Now, you get a pop-up saying that you can stay but you won't earn anymore xp while doing quests in Chromie time.

About the issues with the main quest vs side quests... I've noticed the same issue in MoP. I thought they were going to go back and update all the quest iconography to be the same as it is for Shadowlands, with main story quests having a slightly different icon in the tracker. It would make some much simpler. Moving forward it'll also be weird having everything BfA and before not having a different icon for main quests. I'm hoping that's something they'll get around to but isn't a priority atm.

Glad the professions thing was useful. I had a hard time trying to decide what to include or not include :)
    Post edited by Arlee on
    xpsync
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    What other MMORPG has ever done a level squish like this?

Because damn I never expected the most successful and well known MMO to do it.

Long time coming; hope it leads to a much better experience.
    xpsync

I was under the impression there would be a different icon for main quests as well.

Yes, hopefully they do that down the road, it would make me want to play though them all. Overall i'd think it'd be pretty cool feature which would give players much more incentive and direction.

• cranthugcranthug Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Not going to lie, I reinstalled. Was just rewarded for an event commemorating the 16th year passing since I've been in Wow's grasp. Returning since the days of Cataclysm, the leveling improvements are wonderful and I haven't run into anything I don't like yet, albeit I'm just reaching level 20.

Things are simplified in some ways but the gameplay I remember is still there and I think I'll stick around to try a raid or some PVP with the lovely new animations. New to me anyway.

Was even watching cinematic trailers last night to catch up on wtf is going on in this lore haha Really just impressed with the improvements to animations and audio, it would have been awesome for Classic to have gotten the same treatment. But there is a ton of content for me, a person unconcerned with world firsts.
    xpsync
    cranthug said:
    Not going to lie, I reinstalled. Was just rewarded for an event commemorating the 16th year passing since I've been in Wow's grasp. Returning since the days of Cataclysm, the leveling improvements are wonderful and I haven't run into anything I don't like yet, albeit I'm just reaching level 20.

Things are simplified in some ways but the gameplay I remember is still there and I think I'll stick around to try a raid or some PVP with the lovely new animations. New to me anyway.

Was even watching cinematic trailers last night to catch up on wtf is going on in this lore haha Really just impressed with the improvements to animations and audio, it would have been awesome for Classic to have gotten the same treatment. But there is a ton of content for me, a person unconcerned with world firsts.

WB!

I left at cata as well, long story short, i came back for classic, stayed for BFA, and now, here to stay.

Wow's changed so much, i fell in love with BFA it's just so not old wow, questing in Nazmir atm, the music, atmosphere, reading the quests makes a huge, huge difference for immersion, i just disappear. Well done!
    cranthug