Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual Universe Bans Marketplace Thieves - Community Reacts | MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    mrputts said:

Gdemami said:

Scarran said:

All this ban does is make current players/testers hesitant on reporting future exploits for fear of receiving the ban hammer. 

There is a very clear line between reporting a bug and exploiting it.

The ban was issued for exploitation of the bug, not miscommunicating it.

They knew they are crossing the line - they even left the message "Please no ban", yet they marched forward.

You raep what you sow.

I don't know if I would personally call this exploiting.

ex·ploit
    verb
    /ikˈsploit/
    make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

I don't believe it would fall under the text book definition of exploit. Doing it once and Posting about it is not making full use, nor is it really deriving benefit.

I would argue posting it on reddit is a loose form of reporting. Especially if they did try to reach the devs like the poster claims.

Remember this is Beta testing. Not a Live Product
    Are players currently paying a sub to play?  I know my free beta key came with 3 months sub time but if people are paying for this then it’s at least in some ways a live product.

Then they should call it that and not limited testing. They can't have it both ways. These guys are CoA incompetent. If it's testing then none of this should really be taken seriously because there should be a wipe at the end. If there is no wipe, then it's Live and they shouldn't get to hide their half-assed game behind a beta label. Don't go soft on me man.
    To my knowledge there are wipes planned for the future, but once again revolutionary thinking (sic) has lead to "selling" three month subs (minimum) to 'help" them test the game.

Neither of which matters to my way of thinking what these players did crossed way over the line in terms of "testing" 

Let's put it into perspective, were I to discover a way to potentially wipe the DB server for the application I support, I would open a bug ticket but would never go forward and actually wipe the DB, then go off and brag to my peers on a company web site about it, especially when it could take the DBAs several days to restore while everyone else sat around idle.

Sovrath[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The banning shows me that these developers are not serious about testing.  They appear to be treating DU as a source of income already.  Banning for this offense is only justifiable if the game is already live.

Just another case of why Pay-to-Test is a flawed concept; players and developers both tend to treat this situation as a released product, not a test platform.

[Deleted User]GdemamiKyleran[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Mendel said:
    The banning shows me that these developers are not serious about testing.  They appear to be treating DU as a source of income already.  Banning for this offense is only justifiable if the game is already live.

Just another case of why Pay-to-Test is a flawed concept; players and developers both tend to treat this situation as a released product, not a test platform.

Doesn't it also show that the players aren't serious about testing?

Pay to test is crap though.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Rhoklaw said:
    Honestly, the fact its in BETA is a blessing, but what kind of morons do this and then not report it immediately?

Cheaters..... CHECK

Exploiters... CHECK

Useless Players... CHECK

No offense, but if you're testing a game and you don't care enough to report obvious flaws within the game this extensive immediately BEFORE you spend hours dismantling an in-game NPC marketplace, yes you DO deserve to get banned.
    Based on their rules for Item Duplication bugs, players are allowed to use item dupe bug that they find as long as they report within 48 hours.

Now this isn't an item dupe bug, but when responding to community Novaquark representative also said:
     "...The players involved did not report this bug to us, but instead simply filled their pockets..."

They kind of leave it open whether players would have been allowed to destroy the whole marketplace as long as they reported through appropriate channels. Since they do that, to me this looks like devs are more or less banning them for posting about it on reddit where the devs found it, instead of using the formal reporting tools and letting the devs find it that way.

It feels too much like a group of butthurt devs handling permabans for something as simple as making sure the devs know about the bug but doing it through wrong channel.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami[Deleted User]maskedweasel

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Torval said:
    Sandmanjw said:
    More entitled idjits here than usual.

This was a textbook reason for a ban, beta or not. They took the whole building that people could use to play the game. Not only making the dev's have to fix everything but stopped all the other players that wanted/needed to use it.

This goes so far passed the point of an obvious exploit that will affect the whole game that should not be used, it is not even questionable.

Anyone that thinks otherwise, i am sure the Dev's thank you for NOT being in their game, you would cause more problems than you would be worth.

Thinking it is ok to cause damage and monetary loss and still get to play and have fun....idiots.

If it's a test then people shouldn't be "playing" the game as if it were live. They should be testing and we've obviously forgotten that as a game community. I would argue the fault is mainly on the studios and publishers selling early access, crowd-funding, or whatever perpetual betas exist and playing games with words on the trusting who've they sucked into feeding their poor "developer" practices.

Anyone can slap the word developer on their name now by claiming to make a game. That doesn't make them competent or smart. Game "developers" are a joke to most developers in other industries that have to make real software on an actual schedule within a real budget.

This studio caused the issue by sending mixed messages about what they're doing and hiding behind a beta label. Professionals don't operate this way.
    I agree, i have posted a couple times about this game and the way they are handling the "beta". It is not even a game that i would care to play.

But for people that think it is ok to damage others games....even if you are or are not paying goes so far passed the right and wrong of an issue there should be no argument.

But they still do. It is amazing how people think it is ok to cost others time and money and that there should be little to no consequences. 

Really hard to get more entitled than these folks.  Banning a few now will maybe give the message not to go too far.  There can, and will, be consequences. 

[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Rhoklaw said:
    Vrika said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Honestly, the fact its in BETA is a blessing, but what kind of morons do this and then not report it immediately?

Cheaters..... CHECK

Exploiters... CHECK

Useless Players... CHECK

No offense, but if you're testing a game and you don't care enough to report obvious flaws within the game this extensive immediately BEFORE you spend hours dismantling an in-game NPC marketplace, yes you DO deserve to get banned.
    Based on their rules for Item Duplication bugs, players are allowed to use item dupe bug that they find as long as they report within 48 hours.

Now this isn't an item dupe bug, but when responding to community Novaquark representative also said:
     "...The players involved did not report this bug to us, but instead simply filled their pockets..."

They kind of leave it open whether players would have been allowed to destroy the whole marketplace as long as they reported through appropriate channels. Since they do that, to me this looks like devs are more or less banning them for posting about it on reddit where the devs found it, instead of using the formal reporting tools and letting the devs find it that way.

It feels too much like a group of butthurt devs handling permabans for something as simple as making sure the devs know about the bug but doing it through wrong channel.
    The Devs clearly stated that the amount of time it took the players to dismantle the marketplace was clearly a sign of complete disregard for the purpose of testing and bug reporting as should be expected of players. I don't care how the Devs handle their game bug reporting. The players didn't care and continued to dismantle the marketplace long after knowing what they were doing was not an intended feature.

People are either just plain stupid or extremely ignorant.
    The only ignorance here is on the part of the developers. From their own site:

"Theft Via RDMS: RDMS permissions and settings are the sole discretion of each player. We advise you take the time to get to know and understand the system and be cautious when making a construct or element usable by unknown players, including the use of your friends list. Not every player has your best interest at heart. We can not get involved with permission based theft, whether as an individual or an organization. We encourage you to review your friends list each time you add or remove someone and ensure your construct permissions are set accordingly. The context menu options that set public access currently do not have a confirmation prompt, be careful as setting public access to said construct will allow every player in Dual Universe to go into build mode and remove/place elements and voxels.  [Allowed]"

They boast that if this happens to players, it's just a game feature and the players fault for screwing up. When the developers screw up.. they get to take their ball, ban the players, and go home and expect everyone else should just deal with it. 

Sorry, but no. This is on the fault of the developers, and it's their fault for not being able to recover their own assets quickly. Also their fault for not responding to their own tickets, or posting something that states how they expect their OWN COMMUNITY to handle situations like this. 

You see how they aren't really depicting this as an issue within their own TOS but rather an issue with the "moral character" of the players. 

Obviously they are "new" to this. You don't go into a game, tell people it's okay to steal items that are set to public, but don't expect them to steal your sh*t when you screw up. 

As for the banned players, it was as childish for the developers to do that to them as it was for them to knowingly take it and leave the note. 

There is nothing wrong in what they did TBH. If it was another player, Novaquark would have just crossed their arms and said "thats the game" based on their own response to these kind of thefts. The trick here is that it happened to them, and they get to cry about it, but there's power behind those tears, and that's what's wrong with this situation. 

Had this happened to anyone else, all of these people denying this is a problem, wouldn't have anything to say on the matter at all. 
    [Deleted User]Gdemami[Deleted User]

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Rhoklaw said:
    Vrika said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Cheaters..... CHECK

Exploiters... CHECK

Useless Players... CHECK

The Devs clearly stated that the amount of time it took the players to dismantle the marketplace was clearly a sign of complete disregard for the purpose of testing and bug reporting as should be expected of players. I don't care how the Devs handle their game bug reporting. The players didn't care and continued to dismantle the marketplace long after knowing what they were doing was not an intended feature.

People are either just plain stupid or extremely ignorant.
    This is from pinned post on Novaquark's Rules & Annoucements forums:
    • For those who have been knowingly abusing bugs, you have 48 hours to report your activities via a ticket here: support.dualthegame.com - your duped proceeds will be removed, but no further action will be taken. Please select Gameplay in the first form drop-down, select the “Rules & Policies” > “Exploits” category and use the subject “Self Report”

Source: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/20643-a-note-about-bug-exploitations/

It's for item duplication bugs, and this not an item duplication bug. But the way I read it the idiot devs are giving players permission to knowingly abuse a bug as long as they also report it.
    Gdemamimaskedweasel[Deleted User]

edited October 2020

You see how they aren't really depicting this as an issue within their own TOS but rather an issue with the "moral character" of the players. 

It seems that from what you posted they are two different things.

They are saying that players can steal from other players if you don't set their permissions correctly.

that seems a different thing entirely from a bug that allows them to take things which should be reported no?
    Sandmanjw

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:

They are saying that players can steal from other players if you don't set their permissions correctly.

that seems a different thing entirely from a bug that allows them to take things which should be reported no?
    But it wasn't a bug, was it? It was "working as intended", the developers just didn't set the permissions correctly, right? It's not a bug that the developers didn't set their creations as private any more or less than it is if a player doesn't set access properly.

It wasn't them exploiting the system. They didn't duplicate anything. They didn't hack anything. From what I've seen, all they did is attempt to access it, realized it was public, just like any other player can or can't do, and once they realized the developers screwed up, they stole it. 

GdemamiSandmanjw

Sovrath said:

But it wasn't a bug, was it? It was "working as intended", the developers just didn't set the permissions correctly, right? It's not a bug that the developers didn't set their creations as private any more or less than it is if a player doesn't set access properly.

It wasn't them exploiting the system. They didn't duplicate anything. They didn't hack anything. From what I've seen, all they did is attempt to access it, realized it was public, just like any other player can or can't do, and once they realized the developers screwed up, they stole it. 

I would say that the developers not setting something correctly is a bug.
    KyleranSandmanjw[Deleted User]

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

Gdemami said:

mrputts said:
     Who cares if they were having a little fun with it. 

...other testers? Devs that then must fix the mess caused by bug exploitation? Staff/devs that has to go through investigation of said exploit? etc.

Lots of dev wasted time there because some people can't behave. Maintaining public test server does not come free.

It's in testing. This is what testing is for.
    The devs were going to have to fix it anyways. They wasted their own time by not properly implementing it when they initially made the change.
    The other players are choosing to be involved in testing, knowing that their time is going towards finding and helping to fix bugs which might require extended down time.

Please, respond with your usual LoL emoji which is all you do to every post, no matter what has been said.
    maskedweaselGdemamiKyleranSandmanjw
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

I think that would be a fair opinion, except, what they didn't set is something that's inherent to set or not set in the game. It's like if this was the developers personal account and they didn't set it on one of their buildings, is that a bug or a feature? 
    Gdemami

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Torval said:
    mrputts said:

Gdemami said:

Scarran said:

All this ban does is make current players/testers hesitant on reporting future exploits for fear of receiving the ban hammer. 

There is a very clear line between reporting a bug and exploiting it.

The ban was issued for exploitation of the bug, not miscommunicating it.

They knew they are crossing the line - they even left the message "Please no ban", yet they marched forward.

You raep what you sow.

I don't know if I would personally call this exploiting.

ex·ploit
    verb
    /ikˈsploit/
    make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

I don't believe it would fall under the text book definition of exploit. Doing it once and Posting about it is not making full use, nor is it really deriving benefit.

I would argue posting it on reddit is a loose form of reporting. Especially if they did try to reach the devs like the poster claims.

Remember this is Beta testing. Not a Live Product
    Are players currently paying a sub to play?  I know my free beta key came with 3 months sub time but if people are paying for this then it’s at least in some ways a live product.

Then they should call it that and not limited testing. They can't have it both ways. These guys are CoA incompetent. If it's testing then none of this should really be taken seriously because there should be a wipe at the end. If there is no wipe, then it's Live and they shouldn't get to hide their half-assed game behind a beta label. Don't go soft on me man.
    Oh I agree... I just don't know enough about it as I hadn't followed the game until I got my free 3 month key and that was just two days ago.  

From what I can gather it's in the weird place where they call it beta.  Tell everyone it will have wipes.  But STILL charge people a sub.

I think if I were (for some God forsaken reason) paying a sub for a beta and found out that the company was giving 3 free months away to thousands of people... I'd be very pissed.

But to your question... I dunno... what do you call a game that is promising multiple wipes but also charging a sub?  Almost Live?  Half Dead? 
    maskedweasel[Deleted User][Deleted User]KyleranGdemamiSandmanjw

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

I think that would be a fair opinion, except, what they didn't set is something that's inherent to set or not set in the game. It's like if this was the developers personal account and they didn't set it on one of their buildings, is that a bug or a feature? 
    But it's not a personal account. They set up this market or whatever it is, something was "bugged" not "ticked" not set up correctly, players found it and didn't report it or if they did it wasn't quick. Not only was it not reported they decided to just mess with it.

A quick bug report saying "hey, you might not be aware of this but this market isn't set up correctly and we can literally take everything." is what was required.

Kyleran

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

But it's not a personal account. They set up this market or whatever it is, something was "bugged" not "ticked" not set up correctly, players found it and didn't report it or if they did it wasn't quick. Not only was it not reported they decided to just mess with it.

A quick bug report saying "hey, you might not be aware of this but this market isn't set up correctly and we can literally take everything." is what was required.

Reports state (though hard to substantiate, as it was several reddit posters that mention it) that this was mentioned two days prior to the incident.

It wasn't a personal account, no, it wasn't an account at all technically. The developers made a mistake, but the players didn't do anything "wrong" either. The scope of what's "wrong" in this situation is only because it was a developer asset and not a player. I just find it as an extreme knee jerk reaction from the developers that they would ban players that actually play the game, attempted to contact them prior to and during the heist, when in reality, the players really didn't go out of their way to do this. 

The problem isn't that the developers weren't warned, or that these players even really did it, it seems that it's because they're embarrassed and now have to find a way to recreate the market, which is time consuming for them to do. 

In the end the developers still lose, because they banned paying players who actually enjoyed the game. For what this game is, I don't think they should be shunning players based on the development teams mistakes. 
    MendelGdemami

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    <snip>
    In the end the developers still lose, because they banned paying players who actually enjoyed the game.
    Let's be careful about accusing people of enjoying this game.  :*

maskedweaselKyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    <snip>
    In the end the developers still lose, because they banned paying players who actually enjoyed the game.
    Let's be careful about accusing people of enjoying this game.  :*

that's fair haha :smiley:

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    My concern now is if they screwed up on something like this how about security?
    Gdemamimaskedweasel
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Just another Video Game developer with developers as bad as Albion Online, basically Dual Universe a game not worth playing since they are going to ban users for finding a bug and attempting to report it during an Alpha / Beta test, there is obviously a reason why there is testing.
    GdemamiKyleran
    Renoaku said:
    Just another Video Game developer with developers as bad as Albion Online, basically Dual Universe a game not worth playing since they are going to ban users for finding a bug and attempting to report it during an Alpha / Beta test, there is obviously a reason why there is testing.
    How in the world can someone taking a building apart and keeping it, ever be called finding a bug and attempting to report it?

You sure you do not work for EA? Last time i heard that kind of logic was when an EA executive tried to call loot boxes "surprise mechanics".

Kyleranmaskedweasel
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Sandmanjw said:
    Renoaku said:
    How in the world can someone taking a building apart and keeping it, ever be called finding a bug and attempting to report it?

You sure you do not work for EA? Last time i heard that kind of logic was when an EA executive tried to call loot boxes "surprise mechanics".

I mean if the developers aren't going to respond, sometimes you gotta tear down a building since it's a building game (Who cares) it's in testing, and the developers would have noticed and should have just spawned a new one with a bug fix no big deal.
    GdemamiKyleranmaskedweasel
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm not testing the game, but what is the official means of reporting bugs? Last time I tested a game, REDDIT was NOT one of the bug reporting platforms. Actually, a game I'm currently testing now has an IN GAME bug report feature. That is where you report bugs. Not Discord, not Reddit, not 3rd party gaming forums.
    Reddit may not be, but they didn't just contact them on reddit, apparently they attempted to contact them on discord too. Believe it or not some companies do utilize discord as an official way to contact developers on issues. 

While I'm not saying that this is the case for dual universe, but still, let's be honest in 2020, developers are often active on all communities. The reason the team freaked out is because they found the post on reddit.. a place where they seem to be quite active. 

Some teams respond directly to tweets now, taken as bug reports. 

Gdemami[Deleted User]

All this nonsense all boils down to, do NOT use exploits.....

SIMPLE.........................

Report it or not it is the same thing, do NOT use exploits....

All the other nonsense and false tears are just covering up for the fact that some people are entitled cream puffs that think there should never be any consequences for their actions.   

Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2020
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm not testing the game, but what is the official means of reporting bugs? Last time I tested a game, REDDIT was NOT one of the bug reporting platforms. Actually, a game I'm currently testing now has an IN GAME bug report feature. That is where you report bugs. Not Discord, not Reddit, not 3rd party gaming forums.
    Reddit may not be, but they didn't just contact them on reddit, apparently they attempted to contact them on discord too. Believe it or not some companies do utilize discord as an official way to contact developers on issues. 

While I'm not saying that this is the case for dual universe, but still, let's be honest in 2020, developers are often active on all communities. The reason the team freaked out is because they found the post on reddit.. a place where they seem to be quite active. 

Been my experience more dev teams ignore reddit almost completely, COE, CU, Pantheon and even Ashes, rarely is a post found by a dev team member.

My guess is too much unfiltered noise for most to bother with.

MendelSandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Been my experience more dev teams ignore reddit almost completely, COE, CU, Pantheon and even Ashes, rarely is a post found by a dev team member.

My guess is too much unfiltered noise for most to bother with.

It's pretty clear from their response they pay attention to the reddit and responded in the thread. I know several other teams do as well. 

I was surprised when Crystal Dynamics pushed everyone to the discord to input bugs and began responding in reddit threads with fix information.