Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proshop releases RTX 3080, 3090 and 3070 supply numbers

124»

Comments

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Just saw a story where China returned 485,000 Radeon video cards they'd seized to the mining operation that was using them................  While these were older cards, the scale of use boggles....

And this is why I laugh in the face of anyone who tries to champion bitcoin as the savior of the "little guy" investor.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Back in late November 2020 I paid $400 over msrp for a 3090, glad I did ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Torval said:
    laserit said:
    The really frustrating part in this entire scenario is that 3090s are somewhat available, or xx50s. A 3070 which is a great card for 1440p and even some 4K is not. So, either I can get an underpowered overpriced non-starter (xx50) that is worse than my 1660ti, or I can buy a nearly unaffordable card (3090) that is way too much for my system and needs. Not to mention the fact that it would require a PSU and system cooling upgrade that could run another $200 - $300. What fits I can't get. :/
    I've had my name in for a 3080 for a very long time. I don't know if I will ever get the email :(
    [Deleted User]

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2022
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    The really frustrating part in this entire scenario is that 3090s are somewhat available, or xx50s. A 3070 which is a great card for 1440p and even some 4K is not. So, either I can get an underpowered overpriced non-starter (xx50) that is worse than my 1660ti, or I can buy a nearly unaffordable card (3090) that is way too much for my system and needs. Not to mention the fact that it would require a PSU and system cooling upgrade that could run another $200 - $300. What fits I can't get. :/
    I've had my name in for a 3080 for a very long time. I don't know if I will ever get the email :(
    EVGA went and dropped a lot of people out of the queue.

I did end up getting a 3060Ti eventually, but it appears only the top tiers are moving - if you wanted an XC3 or something, those just are not going out at all. I suspect I only got thre 3060 because I signed up the first day it was available, and I signed up for the top overclock edition that was available.

I'm also in the queue for a 3070, a 3080, and a 3090 - none of those moved, and yeah, I signed up Day 1 on each of those as well. I wasn't top tier / best overclock on any of them, and EVGA did me the favor of removing me from one of the queues saying I could only be queued for two things at a time. I don't even remember which it was they removed me from, but they didn't exactly ask my preference about it... I was just checking one day and happened to see.

And just recently they've made a lot of changes to their warranty and trade up programs - none of it better for consumers. 

I don't know. I used to see EVGA stuff pop up in Newegg Shuffle fairly commonly back when I tracked that - and think to myself "How is this getting into the shuffle but the queue isn't moving?" I've pretty much given up on it all right now.

A good time to invest in NFTs, I hear.
    [Deleted User]laserit
    Ridelynn said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    EVGA went and dropped a lot of people out of the queue.

I did end up getting a 3060Ti eventually, but it appears only the top tiers are moving - if you wanted an XC3 or something, those just are not going out at all. I suspect I only got thre 3060 because I signed up the first day it was available, and I signed up for the top overclock edition that was available.

I'm also in the queue for a 3070, a 3080, and a 3090 - none of those moved, and yeah, I signed up Day 1 on each of those as well. I wasn't top tier / best overclock on any of them, and EVGA did me the favor of removing me from one of the queues saying I could only be queued for two things at a time. I don't even remember which it was they removed me from, but they didn't exactly ask my preference about it... I was just checking one day and happened to see.

And just recently they've made a lot of changes to their warranty and trade up programs - none of it better for consumers. 

I don't know. I used to see EVGA stuff pop up in Newegg Shuffle fairly commonly back when I tracked that - and think to myself "How is this getting into the shuffle but the queue isn't moving?" I've pretty much given up on it all right now.

A good time to invest in NFTs, I hear.
    Almost surreal, I went to a local gas station the other day and they were completely out of gas and diesel. It was no problem I just went across the street, but that was the first and only time that has ever happened to me in my life.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

[Deleted User]cheyane

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2022
    A lot of people on other forums have pointed to the fact that you can find video cards in stock as proof that the GPU situation is starting to resolve, particularly AMD cards

If I go to Newegg right now, I can find 6900's in stock fairly readily, and without a huge markup (only 50%... huge being relative to today's market conditions). I can also find a few other models - the most common probably the 6600/XT, which is running closer to a 90-100% markup right now. A lot of people report seeing a lot of AMD cards on the shelves at Microcenter and other places (I can't confirm, I don't have one nearby) -- but pricing there is similar from what I see online.

The situation is also similar on nVIdia, so it's not just AMD cards. You can find them, in stock, but with some significant markups.

I would counter the notion that the GPU situation is resolving. I think what we are seeing instead are basic supply and demand concept at work. My theory: The demand is greatly outstripping the supply. Retailers don't want to be stuck with inventory on the shelf, but on the other side of that, they don't want to lose out on money they could be making either. Price will go up or down, adjusting the relative value, so that supply and demand equal. If the Retail side is underpricing according to demand, that's where the scalpers step in and make a margin. If they are overpricing, the product won't move and sits on the shelves, so we see discounts, sales, and freebies given away with purchase as incentive to move the product faster.

Price is simply shot up so the demand (at that price) will equal the production rate. For most people, gamers in particular, the pricing is absolutely absurd. You have a few with broken rigs, or more money than sense, and they will buy because they have little choice.

For miners, they will buy at almost any price; it just extends their return out some amount of time. So prices have gone up (both at retail and via scalpers) to where gamers just can't really see any value proposition, but miners can still find a return on investment. The only reason they haven't driven the price up further is that there are only a finite number of miners buying.

So, I don't think that "In Stock" necessarily means the supply chain is getting better, or that the logistics situation is about to be resolved. The sales price still is very much a part of that equation, we've just seen the retail price go up to a point where the scalpers aren't nearly as interested as they were and the retailer is seeing all of that margin the scalpers were taking before. The situation really hasn't changed at all.
    Sandmanjw[Deleted User]Asm0deus
    edited January 2022
    The supply chain is being hit really hard with Omicron. The effects can last for months and months and months.

We have not gotten over the previous waves yet.

edit: We in the manufacturing sector were talking about how bad 2022 was going to be before Omicron hit us.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deus

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    laserit said:
    The supply chain is being hit really hard with Omicron. The effects can last for months and months and months.

edit: We in the manufacturing sector were talking about how bad 2022 was going to be before Omicron hit us.
    I don't know what type of goods you deal with, but there are two ways in which a lot of computer parts are different from a lot of other things that get shipped around the world:

1)  The value density of the goods by volume or by weight is often very high.  For some computer components, a cubic meter of goods stacked appropriately could have a market value of over $1 million.  There are a lot for which that isn't true, but there are plenty of SSDs, memory kits, or even CPUs without an included heatsink where the market value of a cubic meter of the packaged goods will be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

2)  Computer hardware depreciates fast.  This isn't just perishing like food does, nor is it the much slower loss of value that many other categories of goods face.  A company that keeps building exactly the same computer hardware for a few years will in many cases find that a brand new component that launched three years ago doesn't fetch half the price it did on launch day.

That combination sometimes makes it profitable to pay extra to ship hardware faster, such as using planes instead of boats to send hardware across the ocean.  If a pallet full of your hardware could sell at retail for $1 million today, but it will only be worth $950k in a month, spending an extra $10k to get it to retail a month sooner can be worth it.

That's less true of video cards than of some other hardware.  Video cards tend to be big and heavy because of the heatsinks.  Even though a single GPU costs a lot, that greatly reduces the value per unit weight or volume as compared to some much smaller components.

Even so, it's very true of some of the components that go into building video cards, especially the GPU chips themselves and the memory.  And there's also a considerable risk that the retail value of video cards will drop fast if the miners stop buying them.
    Quizzical said:
    laserit said:

I don't know what type of goods you deal with, but there are two ways in which a lot of computer parts are different from a lot of other things that get shipped around the world:

1)  The value density of the goods by volume or by weight is often very high.  For some computer components, a cubic meter of goods stacked appropriately could have a market value of over $1 million.  There are a lot for which that isn't true, but there are plenty of SSDs, memory kits, or even CPUs without an included heatsink where the market value of a cubic meter of the packaged goods will be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

2)  Computer hardware depreciates fast.  This isn't just perishing like food does, nor is it the much slower loss of value that many other categories of goods face.  A company that keeps building exactly the same computer hardware for a few years will in many cases find that a brand new component that launched three years ago doesn't fetch half the price it did on launch day.

That combination sometimes makes it profitable to pay extra to ship hardware faster, such as using planes instead of boats to send hardware across the ocean.  If a pallet full of your hardware could sell at retail for $1 million today, but it will only be worth $950k in a month, spending an extra $10k to get it to retail a month sooner can be worth it.

That's less true of video cards than of some other hardware.  Video cards tend to be big and heavy because of the heatsinks.  Even though a single GPU costs a lot, that greatly reduces the value per unit weight or volume as compared to some much smaller components.

Even so, it's very true of some of the components that go into building video cards, especially the GPU chips themselves and the memory.  And there's also a considerable risk that the retail value of video cards will drop fast if the miners stop buying them.
    I'm not talking panic or anything like that but I have a lot of customers who cant complete products because the can't get all their components.

SS tubing is a bitch for me right now and the prices are not good.