Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual Universe market picked up by players.

2»

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2020
    tzervo said:
    The context has flaws and mistakes which is why I did not /agree with Torval's post either.
    ...so what was the point of your post then?

That you can indeed "destroy an object" in context of OOP but absolutely not in context and sense he was proposing?

Why posting it as a reply to me, who is aware of his ignorance on subject?
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gdemami said:
    tzervo said:

...yeah, pity you don't comprehend the content of the link nor context of the post you reply to.

Don't make yourself look like (another) stupid...
    And Dunning Kruger effect crits Gdemami for 150% damage.

Must be hard being so smart amongst these dumb people, lol.

Gdemami said:
    tzervo said:
    The context has flaws and mistakes which is why I did not /agree with Torval's post either.
    ...so what was the point of your post then?

That you can indeed "destroy an object" in context of OOP but absolutely not in context and sense he was proposing?

Why posting it as a reply to me, who is aware of his ignorance on subject?
    Because so far you have given zero reason as to why we should believe you know anything about the subject?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited October 2020
    lahnmir said:
    Because so far you have given zero reason as to why we should believe you know anything about the subject?
    ....eww, abysal failure of critical thinking on your end, as usual.

I do not need to provide any reasons why you should believe me - the onus of proof is on Torval's shoulders, and it is his failure to provide any sensible backing for his claims, in fact his "explanation" is completely laughable and just exposed his ignorance even more.

If you think there is a merit in his post and use of ambiguous terms such as "software object" or nonsensical claims like "storing it in a software object still means it must be stored on disk or memory" - so where da fuck you store it?! lol, it's a moot discussion anyway since you are as clueless as he is.

He leaves nothing of substance to react or argue against, it's all gibberish - he was called out on that one and as expected failed to provide any backing.

It's just so damn stupid...
    Sharne said:
    Torval's post is correct. Of course it can be stored as a software object, whether as a physical file or in a database, its called serialization and has been around for years, you serialize the object and save it somewhere (I doubt that they would store it memory, that would be bad for an mmo, so it would have to be persisted somewhere), this method has been used for years. 

...hey, look, another "expert".
    edited October 2020
    Sharne said:
    I've used the method myself a lot yes
    So you store data IN "software object", then you store the "software object" on DISK, all that INSTEAD of stroring data in database, and then in order to delete an item, you DESTROY said object.

Do tell me more how you use such method, please...
    edited October 2020
    Sharne said:
    I never said you couldn't store it in a database
    ..that is what Torval said and you said he is correct and you use this method yourself, a lot - so go ahead and now elaborate how.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2020
    Gdemami said:
    Sharne said:
    I never said you couldn't store it in a database
    ..that is what Torval said and you said he is correct and you use this method yourself, a lot - so go ahead and now elaborate how.
    No. Torval was complaining that they stored it in an object instead of a database. 
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

Vrika said:
    No. Torval was complaining that they stored it in an object instead of a database. 
    ...which is nonsense, you don't store anything IN objects
    edited October 2020
    Gdemami said:
    Vrika said:
    ...which is nonsense, you don't store anything IN objects
    Yes you do.

From Wikipedia:
      "Object-oriented programming (OOP) is a programming paradigm based on the concept of "objects", which can contain data and code"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming
    [Deleted User]Gdemami[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Sharne said:
    You might want to explain that to xml then, it's been under the impression it's been doing it for years. ;)
    ...you don't store anything in xml, you store xml files in database, file system or w/e. XML is just a data structure - how you store data, with no bearing on where you store them.

You claim to be professional, yet you don't understand elementary concepts being talked about.

I don't make people look stupid, they just say stupid, ignorant things - not my fault.
    Kyleran
    Vrika said:
    Yes you do.
    No you don't. 
    Kyleran
    edited October 2020
    Eh, I am done.

Once people start to argue that you can store data INSIDE(lol) programming or markup language, my tolerance for stupidity is depleted...

Kyleranmaskedweasel
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gdemami said:
    Eh, I am done.

If only...
    Kyleran[Deleted User]lahnmirAlBQuirkyMendelcameltosisTiller
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:
    Eh, I am done.

If only...
    Don't worry, she'll

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Sharne said:
    Gdemami said:
    Sharne said:
    You might want to explain that to xml then, it's been under the impression it's been doing it for years. ;)
    ...you don't store anything in xml, you store xml files in database, file system or w/e. XML is just a data structure - how you store data, with no bearing on where you store them.

You claim to be professional, yet you don't understand elementary concepts being talked about.

I don't make people look stupid, they just say stupid, ignorant things - not my fault.
    It really is your fault if you don't understand but still argue the point, your making someone look stupid and it isn't me.
    Oh, come now. He Googled this! :lol:
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Torval said:

The strong message this sends to their community is don't report bugs and keep exploits quiet.

I don't know if I agree with that. Everyone who has been reporting bugs and NOT been banned will have learned that's not true.

Again, it comes back to whether they reported this or not. 

Discovering something wrong, messing with it for "shits and giggles" and then eventually reporting it isn't in the spirit of reporting bugs.

They could have found this issue and "reported it" and moved on. I suspect that's what's supposed to happen.

AlBQuirkyKyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:

The strong message this sends to their community is don't report bugs and keep exploits quiet.

I don't know if I agree with that. Everyone who has been reporting bugs and NOT been banned will have learned that's not true.

Discovering something wrong, messing with it for "shits and giggles" and then eventually reporting it isn't in the spirit of reporting bugs.

They could have found this issue and "reported it" and moved on. I suspect that's what's supposed to happen.

I see this like this:

1 time: Bug/Exploit discovered.
    2 to 4 more: Test to ensure it is consistent.
    ***REPORT Bug/Exploit***

Any more than this and the "tester" has crossed the line.
    [Deleted User]MendelSovrathKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    This thread is way above my head. I dont understand programming stuff at all. 
    AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:

I see this like this:

1 time: Bug/Exploit discovered.
    2 to 4 more: Test to ensure it is consistent.
    ***REPORT Bug/Exploit***

Any more than this and the "tester" has crossed the line.

What happens when the "testing to ensure it is consistent" steps are actually what wrecked the system?  I really feel some developers overreacted and took action without knowing the exact motives involved.

GdemamiAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Torval said:

What I'm trying to point out is that people should avoid throwing money at a rookie studio and crowd-funded MMOs in general because we have stacks of evidence these projects aren't well managed. This just adds to the list.
    Well, that's its own thing.

Whether it's worth it to support a studio, especially a new one, is a decision that people can make as the opportunities present themselves. 

Solasta, a game I backed and apparently they released on early access, is shaping up to be absolutely excellent. However, not an mmorpg which seems to be the achilles heel of crowd funding.

People just need to either 

A, give to better organizations, look at who is in the studio, what they have done and what they are showing or ...
    B, assume that giving to an mmorpg is an even riskier endeavor so proceed accordingly.

What these developers should have done was acknowledge the issue, reprimand the players and say that going forward, anyone else caught exploiting an exploit and not reporting in x amount of time will be removed from the program.

AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited October 2020
    This thread is way above my head. I dont understand programming stuff at all. 
    Same here. Last programming I did was system programming for mainframes (BAL) in college (1993-ish?) :)

Unlike some posters here that attempt to sound knowledgeable but aren't :lol:

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Well this thread took a left turn.
    AlBQuirky
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited October 2020
    tzervo said:
    Gdemami said:
    Eh, I am done.

Once people start to argue that you can store data INSIDE(lol) programming or markup language, my tolerance for stupidity is depleted...

Lol. Static registration btw.

Correct me if i'm wrong, static scope is hte lifetime of the program--as opposed to the lifetime of a object that might have a static member (aclass::staticmember). If the program isn't executed, nothing exists--and nothing can be stored. To this end, isn't Gdemami right, evne if Gdemami is wrong about everything else.

I haven't coded for a few years, but otherwise am a lifetime hobbyist coder, so all this is tickling my fancy. I don't know what to think about this thread, otherthan than to say if people have to pay for being testers, and so essentially work for free, developers should expect a high level of incompetence, or outright indiffernece from the players. (beggars can't be choosers.)

Honestly i think they'll be be back somehow. I don't agree with banning them lifetime though. If a chicken gets into the lion pen, I'm not shocked if feathers start flyign.
    edited October 2020
    tzervo said:
    Gdemami said:
    Eh, I am done.

Lol. Static registration btw.

Correct me if i'm wrong, static scope is hte lifetime of the program--as opposed to the lifetime of a object that might have a static member (aclass::staticmember). If the program isn't executed, nothing exists--and nothing can be stored. To this end, isn't Gdemami right, evne if Gdemami is wrong about everything else.
    I think that static scope just refers to visibility, not lifetime.

Static scope means that visibility of names is determined purely based on code. The programmer writes stuff in bracket. Like:
      {
         lot of programming stuff;
      }
    And everything inside brackets is a scope of visibility for the names declared inside that scope.

Whereas dynamic scope means that visibility of names is determined run-time. It starts at name declaration, and I'm not sure where it ends but it will not end based on programmer closing brackets.

EDIT: But on Gdemami's post: He misunderstood Sharne's earlier message about storing data inside objects as meaning storing data inside programming language. It doesn't really matter whether we'll get him to understand whether you can store data inside it or not, and how it would be done, since it's just a big misunderstanding on his part anyway.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]