Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel's Avengers' GaaS Tank is Running on Fumes | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    My boys love this game. I haven't touched it myself, contemplating it though, but at the same time wondering if my time would be better off spent buying Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for switch, anyone have thoughts on this vs MUA3?
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Emeraq said:
    My boys love this game. I haven't touched it myself, contemplating it though, but at the same time wondering if my time would be better off spent buying Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for switch, anyone have thoughts on this vs MUA3?
    MUA3 is fun for a while. It's got a good roster and plenty of content.

Just don't expect to play for a long time. It's got glaring flaws in its UI, gear, and inventory management.

Also, the combat lacks any real nuance. You mostly just spam synergy attacks until things die.

I'd say that it's a game that has paradoxically gotten worse with its expansions, as they increased the level cap and tacked on a (free) battle pass without fixing the core game.
  • Starkiller233Starkiller233 Newbie CommonPosts: 12
    Typical problem with approach of some companies which are trying to make an MMOrpg or arpg but spending most resources mostly on plot/lvling. Come on, it's an MMO or arpg, the games with multiplayer requires spending most of resources on group content which is repeatable and rewarding. Otherwise, players will just consider this game as a single-player game where someone logs in, finishes the plot and stops playing it for some time until the mood of re-playing it strikes out. Same mistake was made by bioware in swtor since they just focused on each class story but never provided any end-game content with group elements to keep players entertained. WoW doesn't have such problem - you always have something to do in it and the revenue blizzard receives allows them to provide new content on a regular basis. Alas, most of incentives wow provides is gearing up through playing all of their end-game content to keep it alive
    KyleranMendelGdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,974
    Typical problem with approach of some companies which are trying to make an MMOrpg or arpg but spending most resources mostly on plot/lvling. Come on, it's an MMO or arpg, the games with multiplayer requires spending most of resources on group content which is repeatable and rewarding. Otherwise, players will just consider this game as a single-player game where someone logs in, finishes the plot and stops playing it for some time until the mood of re-playing it strikes out. Same mistake was made by bioware in swtor since they just focused on each class story but never provided any end-game content with group elements to keep players entertained. WoW doesn't have such problem - you always have something to do in it and the revenue blizzard receives allows them to provide new content on a regular basis. Alas, most of incentives wow provides is gearing up through playing all of their end-game content to keep it alive
    Welcome to the forums! :)
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    this game was more a failure for games press, because they failed gamers, this is top selling game this past month, and very little being said about the appalling state of this game at launch .
    they need a lawsuit, or issue refunds, this is the biggest scam of a game since day z
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Game is just bad unfortunately. I really wanted it to be a good one but alas. It's a bit heartless to compare this game to Anthem, because somehow Anthem is the better of the two. CD/SE really dropped the ball on this one and I've lost a great deal of confidence in both.
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Every time I hear "Games as a Service" I usually throw up in my mouth. It's like Dev speak for release with little to no content then drip feed the player base while sucking the dollars out of their wallets.
    Scot

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited October 2020
    Game is just bad unfortunately. I really wanted it to be a good one but alas. It's a bit heartless to compare this game to Anthem, because somehow Anthem is the better of the two. CD/SE really dropped the ball on this one and I've lost a great deal of confidence in both.
    Maybe. But I think it's apt. Two games in the same genre umbrella with rough launches, similar business models, and delayed roadmaps. Both have great combat (IMO), but both were terribly optimized, buggy, and lacking in content and variety. 

I'd give Anthem the edge here, just because it has patrol zones - something Avengers desperately needs. That said, its patrol zones were lacking, due to lack of effective ally tracking.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Poof cracked...... which I think will further put the nail in it's coffin

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    So is the online part of the game separate from the story mode? Or is it online coop for the story mode? Is it worth playing just by yourself? Also can you invite a friend to play with you over a pug?
    edited October 2020
    Nanfoodle said:
    So is the online part of the game separate from the story mode? Or is it online coop for the story mode? Is it worth playing just by yourself? Also can you invite a friend to play with you over a pug?

Couldn't say since I do not have a windows 10 PC yet. however it's most likely just the campaign mode. I mean I know it quite possible to have steam online cracks so you can play coop but dunno if that the case here.

However I think most peeps would play the, 5 hours or so from what I read, campaign then move on.

Most of what I have read agree the live service part of the game is boring, repetitive and buggy so...

@Nanfoodle Probably you were asking just in general about the game but it answer the question anyways, game is single player and online coop.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Couldn't say since I do not have a windows 10 PC yet. however it's most likely just the campaign mode. I mean I know it quite possible to have steam online cracks so you can play coop but dunno if that the case here.

However I think most peeps would play the, 5 hours or so from what I read, campaign then move on.

Most of what I have read agree the live service part of the game is boring, repetitive and buggy so...

@Nanfoodle Probably you were asking just in general about the game but it answer the question anyways, game is single player and online coop.

I did a little digging, you can play all parts of the game solo but the Avengers Initiative part of the game is really hard without someone to join you. So the solo story mode can be played solo but you can invite a friend or a pug to join you. Avengers Initiative is highly difficult and is designed to play with others. Both the solo and Avengers Initiative offer unique story.  
    edited October 2020
    ...snip...

The impression I am getting is that you can "solo" most group content.

Just go read through the steam forums and filter out the extremes of "this game is awesome amazeballs" and "this game is pooppy poop" and you will get a good idea of what to expect.

Which is lots of bugs, a good but short campaign, repetitive group play that gets boring quick and can be done solo, lots of match making issues etc etc

Here's a quote from a fan of the game, "I've done Weekly Hive solo (Brutal, C4) with just cpu team members."

Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

The impression I am getting is that you can "solo" most group content.

Just go read through the steam forums and filter out the extremes of "this game is awesome amazeballs" and "this game is pooppy poop" and you will get a good idea of what to expect.

Which is lots of bugs, a good but short campaign, repetitive group play that gets boring quick and can be done solo, lots of match making issues etc etc

Here's a quote from a fan of the game, "I've done Weekly Hive solo (Brutal, C4) with just cpu team members."

From what I gather its the Avengers Initiative side of the game thats most broken. Thats why falling numbers is a big impact on the game. If you want it just for the solo story side. People are happy with the game. 
    Asm0deus
  • AyinAyin Member UncommonPosts: 26
    The things that drove people away, or dull their desire to play much, are mainly bugs, IMO. Crashes, save data corruption, drop table issues, loot perks missing/bad stats. They all combine into a perfect storm of reasons not to play.

However, the game is fun to play. It's got a good backbone. As far as I'm concerned, it should still be in beta with the severity of some of the issues.

I don't like any of the Avengers in the current cast, personally. I'm waiting for other Heroes to really invest my time, but until then, I'm playing Black Widow as a support for my friends when we play as a team. (Black Widow has horrible issues with drops, so I'm not really benefiting from playing, but my team is... so... there's that, I guess.)

I also felt if the story didn't follow the super hero super fan super hero, I'd have had more interest in the story (I just muscled past Kamala's sections as fast as possible, to ignore her... but I still leveled her to 50 and got her good gear, because she's probably the best NPC AI to have tagging along in an incomplete group of friends, or when solo.)

Of all the new heroes on the list of upcoming characters... I'm least interested in the non-super heroes... like Archers... really? 2 archers in a row... not the best idea, IMO. Waiting on Black Panther/Dr Strange, personally... if my expectations of their abilities based on the characters are what they turn out to be. That is one area that this game gets "good"... their skill trees and abilities do seem to match their characters very well. On challenge level 1, they feel like the Avengers. (on Challenge level 4, they seem more like imposters wearing super hero outfits, though.)
    Scot