Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel's Avengers' GaaS Tank is Running on Fumes | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 5,023
edited October 17 in News & Features Discussion

imageMarvel's Avengers' GaaS Tank is Running on Fumes | MMORPG.com

Marvel's Avengers dearth of content and recently announced delays have left its live service running on fumes. Mike offers his thoughts on the game's difficult situation.

Read the full story here


«1

Comments

  • WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 3,065
    edited October 17
    steam numbers

    1,874playing 13 min ago

    2,120 24-hour peak

    28,145 all-time peak


    not the whole playerbase , since u can play it outside steam but they lost 93% if im not mistaken ,of the playerbase
    JeroKaneKyleranjimmywolf
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 6,062
    Look, I'm a Warframe master founder. I know what it's like to watch a game go from mediocre to amazing over time.

    But you only get to do that when a genre is young. Once you have established competition, you have to actually be able to compete with said competition out the gate. And just having a big name IP isn't good enough by itself.
    Scoturiel_mafessJeroKaneMendelKyleranjimmywolfNirimetusLark3m
  • xkeeperxkeeper Member UncommonPosts: 25

    Warlyx said:

    steam numbers



    1,874playing 13 min ago



    2,120 24-hour peak



    28,145 all-time peak





    not the whole playerbase , since u can play it outside steam but they lost 93% if im not mistaken ,of the playerbase



    Steam multiplayer isn´t cross with other online platforms, so if it´ s bad on steam, imagine everywhere else.

    This game is a pathetic failure no matter where you play
    ZenJellyAllwynd_01GdemamiJeroKaneKyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,976
    edited October 17
    There is a bigger picture here,something I eluded to a long time ago.Gamers have been turning to popularity and streamers,if devs aren't paying off streamers,YouTubers the popularity dies and then nobody plays.

    I say this because no matter what it is still the best super hero game on the market,WAY better than that Spiderman crap that recently sold an d yet here we are ,it gained a non popular vote so people are not playing.If on the flip side Tue Fue or Ninja were endorsing this game,millions would should up to play.

    This sheds some light on how bad the gaming market is right now,quality of game no longer matters,offer something up financially and all of a sudden your crappy game is popular.
    To put it in perspective,you couldn't pay me to play any other Hero game,not a chance in hell they are THAT bad,this game I could ponder some play  time on my own but I am too busy with other games.



    BruceYeeScotkitaradstrawhat0981iamspamicusjimmywolf

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,976
    Will this game recover,nope not unless as I stated a few big name streamers started playing it.
    I witnessed the same thing with SOT,an awful release,pure garbage then DrD and his buddy showed up to play and all of a sudden SOT was popular .../sad.

    Cohh Carnage is anotehr one,i was surprised to recently see him endorsing several games/apps it becomes more obvious than ever that you succeed through dirty methods.

    This stems to an even bigger problem,devs now a days THRIVE on rehashing the same old game with part 2..3..4..5 etc etc,it is EASY for them to cash in on lazy rehashed work ,well future renditions of this game might now be on hold.
    strawhat0981

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 4,624
    edited October 18

    xkeeper said:



    Warlyx said:


    steam numbers





    1,874playing 13 min ago





    2,120 24-hour peak





    28,145 all-time peak








    not the whole playerbase , since u can play it outside steam but they lost 93% if im not mistaken ,of the playerbase






    Steam multiplayer isn´t cross with other online platforms, so if it´ s bad on steam, imagine everywhere else.



    This game is a pathetic failure no matter where you play



    It's the seventh best seller for the year so it wasn't a sales failure. but good luck to them in continuing to sell new heroes and MTX.

    I'm very curious to see how much people complain about matchmaking when they just release Hawkeye and EVERYONE wants to matchmake with the same hero.

    Crossplay could really help them but then the elephant in the room is those that get grouped with Spidey when they can't even play as him.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,230
    edited October 18
    So basically, you're saying that the game is terrible, but you'll give it lots of coverage anyway because you like the IP? I could understand that if it were an MMORPG, as there aren't a lot of recent launches in the genre for this site to cover.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 1,993
    A little comparison between how Marvel games were developed & released 7 years ago vs now..

    2013 Marvel Heroes Online - Released with details of all future plans including payment model, planned characters, number of yearly character releases, as much detail into the game's development that Gazillion was legally able to provide waaay before official release date. Sometimes in private tells or streams both Brevik & Doomsaw may have divulged too much info but they were honest people and wanted to be honest with their customers/fans.

    Fast forward to 2020...

    Marvel Avengers - Details of everything kept close to the chest until right before launch, no solid timeline for future characters, exclusives for certain platforms, content that's released is made known to public only when it's released, no info on future gameplay additions, completely clueless to what heroes/villains people actually want/lack of willingness to even communicate and find out...

    @Wizardry - It's pretty clear why gaming companies were and still back streamers so much and that's to pick up the mess when they provide a less than satisfactory game experience. They just pull out that briefcase of cash and call Johnny Streamer whenever they need that extra boost. Who wouldn't accept that payola just for saying "this game is good" cause if they don't someone else sure as heck will.
    k61977ScotAlexander.Bjimmywolf
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 1,178
    MMORPG related activity isn't enough for coverage of it to dominate their time. Coverage of games of other genres that would likely appeal to at least some of their readers is a reasonable way to bolster their content. Businesses have to adapt to survive.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,322
    You have to admit that its pretty amazing how they screwed this up. Sure its being compared to Anthem but this is a Marvel game and Anthem was a new IP. This was a license to print money and they honestly did not invest enough to do so. They wanted to go with the usual scam of "buy it now and we'll update it later because its a live service game and this is how they must work." This was just pure laziness, no other way to look at it.
    jdnewelliamspamicus
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I canceled my pre-order as soon as I heard about Spiderman being a Sony exclusive. I'm really tired of seeing that kind of crap.

    Gawd I miss Marvel Heroes!
    AlverantKyleranWarlyx
  • Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 190

    xkeeper said:



    Warlyx said:


    steam numbers





    1,874playing 13 min ago





    2,120 24-hour peak





    28,145 all-time peak








    not the whole playerbase , since u can play it outside steam but they lost 93% if im not mistaken ,of the playerbase






    Steam multiplayer isn´t cross with other online platforms, so if it´ s bad on steam, imagine everywhere else.



    This game is a pathetic failure no matter where you play



    As a non-fan of superhero stuff (movies, games, comic books), actually I outgrew them when I was 12-13 and just stopped caring about them afterwards, this game looks really, really mediocre and bad. It's like they used minimal effort to create some generic game about superheroes and implemented a lot of microtransactions and expected to milk it because of people's love for superheroes. And I just can't see myself even giving it a try if it turned F2P (or had a free test period) one day.
    KyleranHarikeniamspamicusjimmywolf
  • Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I have this game on Steam and the PS4. PC has had a far worse go at it, but this latest patch helped with stability on my end. The PS4 has been my main platform for this game and my overall experience has been far better. No issues on matchmaking and very little screen freeze. I currently have one 150 in Thor and the rest to at least 145. All I do pretty much is my daily faction missions, weekly challenges, and weekly mega hive. Sometimes grind vaults for upgrade modules. I am not butt hurt for the delays in content. I just want them to get the game right first and I don't lack patience. I really love the combat and the Reassemble story and I can't wait for that story to continue. So far I am in this for the long haul.
    Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,543
    I think the fact that this site and Metacritic gave the game a 7.0 (ish) score shows reviewers need to think about how they are doing reviews. It has been mentioned how close to their chest SE played this and how dubious the revenue model was before it even launched. I think that should be taken into account when a review is written.
    GdemamijimmywolfAsm0deus

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,766
    I’ll wait for a GOTY edition and buy that for 30 bucks. Perhaps its a complete game by then.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kaylessdragonlee66Kyleraniamspamicus
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 6,074
    Square Enix does fix things and that is the only silver lining here.
    Kyleran

  • ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Also, Kamala is f* booooooooring. Hi
    iamspamicus
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 6,062
    lahnmir said:
    I’ll wait for a GOTY edition and buy that for 30 bucks. Perhaps its a complete game by then.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Not sure what they'd even lump into a GotY edition when new characters and content are free. Skins?
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,915

    kitarad said:

    Square Enix does fix things and that is the only silver lining here.



    Deus Ex says hi
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 295

    Wizardry said:

    There is a bigger picture here,something I eluded to a long time ago.Gamers have been turning to popularity and streamers,if devs aren't paying off streamers,YouTubers the popularity dies and then nobody plays.

    I say this because no matter what it is still the best super hero game on the market,WAY better than that Spiderman crap that recently sold an d yet here we are ,it gained a non popular vote so people are not playing.If on the flip side Tue Fue or Ninja were endorsing this game,millions would should up to play.

    This sheds some light on how bad the gaming market is right now,quality of game no longer matters,offer something up financially and all of a sudden your crappy game is popular.
    To put it in perspective,you couldn't pay me to play any other Hero game,not a chance in hell they are THAT bad,this game I could ponder some play  time on my own but I am too busy with other games.






    Yeah I don't know about that. I've never watched a single streamer because I'm not a sheep that needs someone else to tell me what to play. I honestly don't know anyone over the age of 18 that really cares either what streamers think and the median gamer age is 35 so I think you are vastly overestimating the power of "streamers".

    My biggest issue with the game was that the "main" character is laughable at best and I had no interested playing a game that centered around that character. If I could have just selected one of the real Avengers and played as them I may have tried it out, but the "i have giant hands" character was of absolutely zero interest to me and that's why I didn't buy the game and completely wrote it off when i learned that was the case. Had they made the game about a relatable Avenger I think they may have had a bit better luck.

    KyleraniamspamicusAyin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,543
    edited October 18
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    I’ll wait for a GOTY edition and buy that for 30 bucks. Perhaps its a complete game by then.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Not sure what they'd even lump into a GotY edition when new characters and content are free. Skins?
    This is my concern, will there be enough extra content to ever buy it? SE has a good reputation here, but only from one game which it rebuilt from the ground up, unless people know of other examples? Will it do the same here, at least in terms of adding a lot of new content.? I doubt it, but we may yet be presently surprised. 

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,766
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    I’ll wait for a GOTY edition and buy that for 30 bucks. Perhaps its a complete game by then.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Not sure what they'd even lump into a GotY edition when new characters and content are free. Skins?
    Good point. I do however think that the GaaS funding method they have presented earlier isn’t sustainable with this sharp a decline in player numbers.

    So I think that they will A. Change their methods and make season passes, characters etc. purchasable, or B. Will stop investing in the game.

    In case A. I’ll get my GOTY version for 30 bucks. In case B. the game will go on sale very soon and I’ll grab the regular version for 20.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 6,062
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    I’ll wait for a GOTY edition and buy that for 30 bucks. Perhaps its a complete game by then.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Not sure what they'd even lump into a GotY edition when new characters and content are free. Skins?
    Good point. I do however think that the GaaS funding method they have presented earlier isn’t sustainable with this sharp a decline in player numbers.

    So I think that they will A. Change their methods and make season passes, characters etc. purchasable, or B. Will stop investing in the game.

    In case A. I’ll get my GOTY version for 30 bucks. In case B. the game will go on sale very soon and I’ll grab the regular version for 20.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think the best shot this game has is the next gen console version. It runs pretty badly on current gen consoles and mid range PCs. 

    That said, every big new character is a potential new jumping in point. Anthem adding a random Javelin wouldn't have the same appeal as Avengers adding in Daredevil, Black Panther, or Wolverine.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,766
    edited October 18
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    I’ll wait for a GOTY edition and buy that for 30 bucks. Perhaps its a complete game by then.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Not sure what they'd even lump into a GotY edition when new characters and content are free. Skins?
    Good point. I do however think that the GaaS funding method they have presented earlier isn’t sustainable with this sharp a decline in player numbers.

    So I think that they will A. Change their methods and make season passes, characters etc. purchasable, or B. Will stop investing in the game.

    In case A. I’ll get my GOTY version for 30 bucks. In case B. the game will go on sale very soon and I’ll grab the regular version for 20.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think the best shot this game has is the next gen console version. It runs pretty badly on current gen consoles and mid range PCs. 

    That said, every big new character is a potential new jumping in point. Anthem adding a random Javelin wouldn't have the same appeal as Avengers adding in Daredevil, Black Panther, or Wolverine.
    Doctor Strange or Wolverine might convince me. But that standard roster isn’t “my” Marvel at all. Except Hulk, Hulk smash. The data mined list also isn’t really exciting me truth be told, I would rather play Toxin  :p

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 6,062
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    I’ll wait for a GOTY edition and buy that for 30 bucks. Perhaps its a complete game by then.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Not sure what they'd even lump into a GotY edition when new characters and content are free. Skins?
    Good point. I do however think that the GaaS funding method they have presented earlier isn’t sustainable with this sharp a decline in player numbers.

    So I think that they will A. Change their methods and make season passes, characters etc. purchasable, or B. Will stop investing in the game.

    In case A. I’ll get my GOTY version for 30 bucks. In case B. the game will go on sale very soon and I’ll grab the regular version for 20.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think the best shot this game has is the next gen console version. It runs pretty badly on current gen consoles and mid range PCs. 

    That said, every big new character is a potential new jumping in point. Anthem adding a random Javelin wouldn't have the same appeal as Avengers adding in Daredevil, Black Panther, or Wolverine.
    Doctor Strange or Wolverine might convince me. But that standard roster isn’t “my” Marvel at all. Except Hulk, Hulk smash. The data mined list also isn’t really exciting me truth be told, I would rather play Toxin  :p

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The data mined list is really bad, but Dr. Strange and Winter Soldier are on it, so there's something for me.
    lahnmir
Sign In or Register to comment.