Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight III Officially Launches on PC, XBOX One and Playstation 4 Today | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageTorchlight III Officially Launches on PC, XBOX One and Playstation 4 Today | MMORPG.com

Today, Torchlight fans that have been waiting for Torchlight III to officially release will be happy to see the official launch trailer, celebrating the launch on PS4, XBOX One and PC. Nintendo Switch gamers don't have much longer to wait either, as the game will launch on the console on October 22nd.

Read the full story here

Comments

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    It was actually better in the fist week of EA...
    Spiider
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • BlazerXBlazerX Member UncommonPosts: 86
    STILL can't get a refund for this game.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited October 2020
    I think it's hilarious that they raised the price to $39.99

The Steam numbers jumped about 1k today to a max of 3k.  That's a pretty miserable, but well earned, launch on PC.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1030210

elveone
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

I think it's hilarious that they raised the price to $39.99

The Steam numbers jumped about 1k today to a max of 3k.  That's a pretty miserable, but well earned, launch on PC.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1030210

Interestingly Torchlight II peak was 54k per steamcharts.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    On top of everything else, they launched on the same day as the WoW Shadowlands pre-patch.
    xpsync
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited October 2020

Roin
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited October 2020

On top of everything else, they launched on the same day as the WoW Shadowlands pre-patch.

Which is fine, pre-patch is 5minutes of your time.. most of it spent fixing mods.
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Game is a very poorly designed buggy mess. If you're expecting TL2 save your money. A real shame.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I feel like they are just launching it simply to get rid of it and focus fully on a different project. Which would probably be for the best
    JeroKane
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    A mobile port like game for 40$.
    JeroKaneelveone

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Spiider said:
    That is exactly what it is. This game was originally planned for Mobile and it clearly shows.
    elveone
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

JeroKane said:

Spiider said:

That is exactly what it is. This game was originally planned for Mobile and it clearly shows.

And where did you get this info about mobile. Have seen numerous people say it. Was a tester from the first week. It was never a mobile title. It was planned for PC, X-box, and Playstation from the start. It was planned as an MMO type game but they failed on that part extensively. They listened to the testers and dropped all the MMO crap from the game.

Don't get me wrong there are still a lot of things that are not what I would call a great game. It is fun for a play through but not really for the long haul on multiple toons.
    Darkpigeonelveone
  • jtckline3jtckline3 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Wow new mobile game.. oh wait, PC?

Sorry got misleaded by that graphic and mobile phone game UI

KnightFalz
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited October 2020

When i read that this launched yesterday i thought, that's just stupid. Whats one more week. I lost interest with this series in T2, the online Torchlight had me interested, then when changed to regurgitating the same formula once again, meh.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    remsleep said:
    I feel bad for anyone who spends money on this 

Spending $40 on this shitstain should be a damn crime

In it's current state I might spend $15 on it.  It will be interesting to see what PW does with Echtra in the coming months.
    edited October 2020
    JeroKane said:
    Spiider said:
    Nah, mobile was never the plan.  But it was designed to be portable for the Switch from the beginning though.  
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited October 2020
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Which is fine, pre-patch is 5minutes of your time.. most of it spent fixing mods.

Apparently you haven't read up on all the changes that came with this pre-patch. If you play WoW, you probably should.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    cheyane said:
    That is an excellent review of the game btw, including their comments about the older TL games.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]cheyaneFrodoFragins
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

lahnmir said:

cheyane said:

That is an excellent review of the game btw, including their comments about the older TL games.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

It doesn't strike me as all that excellent.

The writer imagines a Torchlight 3 influenced by roguelikes and Dark Souls instead of what was presented. Why would that be expected? What should have be expected from Torchlight 3 was more Torchlight, as was delivered, not something vastly different.

He says players have a fort for no purpose. The fort contains the following: Shared Stash, Pet Kennel, Skill Stations (for respec), Wardrobes (Gear loadouts), Monuments (earned region based benefits), Luck Tree (gear drop bonus), Fazeer's Dun'Djinn (end game), Enchanter's Monument (gear modification, also end game which the reviewer claimed didn't exist as a fort function at all), and Craft Stations (resource processing).

That seems to me a fair bit of purpose. One can also place collected cosmetic structures, plants, and whatnot if they are inclined. This has no functional benefit but some enjoy that kind of thing.

Players are led to all the functional npcs through questing, including the existence of the gamblers present in each town that allow you to buy random functional gear with stats suited to your level and the region, that the reviewer either forgot about or chose not to mention.

The writer complains of a lack of direction When you begin the game you arrive at the town you were traveling to and told immediately as you get off the boat the town is being attacked by goblins, How much more reason is the character (or player) going to need to start whacking goblins in an ARPG.

Committing to a class before you start an ARPG is common for the genre, so isn't an issue that cause complaint. Where TL3 differs is the selecting of a relic at character creation, that acts essentially as a third tree to develop your character with. The concept of relics wasn't abandoned as the writer suggests, but made a more integral element of the character. As part of that the relics were expanded from what they were so they could fill this new role. The information for all the abilities of each class, and how all the relics function for each,is presented during character generation before any choices are locked in. It's more information I got than at the beginning of many MMORPGs. The player is provided points with which to respec as well on a regular basis. Other than the choice of relic the player can undo anything without too much trouble.

The writer complains about the track of the Railmaster's train being an issue due to making things difficult to see. He may personally have this issue, but I've played Railmasters with trains extensively and no issue with the track obscuring graphics so that the game is more difficult. Perhaps he didn't know you can stop and start the train at will, and thus the laying of the track, so one need not layer it when moving about a small area. Hard to imagine seeing as this is pointed out but perhaps he didn't spend much time with the class.

He didn't even mention the Legendarium, which gives a character up to three passives, depending on level, out of a pool of all the legendary items the player has found with all his characters, or the more extensive customization of pets than in earlier games.

In my view, it was a rather shabby review, light on both details and accuracy. I'll know not to pay him much mind in the future, as what he writes does not represent well what is.

lahnmir said:

cheyane said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

The writer imagines a Torchlight 3 influenced by roguelikes and Dark Souls instead of what was presented. Why would that be expected? What should have be expected from Torchlight 3 was more Torchlight, as was delivered, not something vastly different.

He says players have a fort for no purpose. The fort contains the following: Shared Stash, Pet Kennel, Skill Stations (for respec), Wardrobes (Gear loadouts), Monuments (earned region based benefits), Luck Tree (gear drop bonus), Fazeer's Dun'Djinn (end game), Enchanter's Monument (gear modification, also end game which the reviewer claimed didn't exist as a fort function at all), and Craft Stations (resource processing).

That seems to me a fair bit of purpose. One can also place collected cosmetic structures, plants, and whatnot if they are inclined. This has no functional benefit but some enjoy that kind of thing.

Players are led to all the functional npcs through questing, including the existence of the gamblers present in each town that allow you to buy random functional gear with stats suited to your level and the region, that the reviewer either forgot about or chose not to mention.

The writer complains of a lack of direction When you begin the game you arrive at the town you were traveling to and told immediately as you get off the boat the town is being attacked by goblins, How much more reason is the character (or player) going to need to start whacking goblins in an ARPG.

Committing to a class before you start an ARPG is common for the genre, so isn't an issue that cause complaint. Where TL3 differs is the selecting of a relic at character creation, that acts essentially as a third tree to develop your character with. The concept of relics wasn't abandoned as the writer suggests, but made a more integral element of the character. As part of that the relics were expanded from what they were so they could fill this new role. The information for all the abilities of each class, and how all the relics function for each,is presented during character generation before any choices are locked in. It's more information I got than at the beginning of many MMORPGs. The player is provided points with which to respec as well on a regular basis. Other than the choice of relic the player can undo anything without too much trouble.

The writer complains about the track of the Railmaster's train being an issue due to making things difficult to see. He may personally have this issue, but I've played Railmasters with trains extensively and no issue with the track obscuring graphics so that the game is more difficult. Perhaps he didn't know you can stop and start the train at will, and thus the laying of the track, so one need not layer it when moving about a small area. Hard to imagine seeing as this is pointed out but perhaps he didn't spend much time with the class.

He didn't even mention the Legendarium, which gives a character up to three passives, depending on level, out of a pool of all the legendary items the player has found with all his characters, or the more extensive customization of pets than in earlier games.

In my view, it was a rather shabby review, light on both details and accuracy. I'll know not to pay him much mind in the future, as what he writes does not represent well what is.
    The review does indeed not mention many of the parts that make up TL3. It does however perfectly nail the feeling that the sum of these parts is less as a whole, a disjointed affair that gives more width but no depth. The older TL games weren’t top of the class either but they still had soul and character, the new one doesn’t. TL3 feels bland, old and randomly put together. I think its the worst in a series of overrated ARPGs and I have played all of the games the genre has to offer, extensively.

I reinstalled Inquisitor: Martyr and Prophecy expansion because of all the ARPG talk. Every single system in that game puts TL3 to shame.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    FrodoFragins[Deleted User]

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

lahnmir said:

lahnmir said:

cheyane said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

The review does indeed not mention many of the parts that make up TL3. It does however perfectly nail the feeling that the sum of these parts is less as a whole, a disjointed affair that gives more width but no depth. The older TL games weren’t top of the class either but they still had soul and character, the new one doesn’t. TL3 feels bland, old and randomly put together. I think its the worst in a series of overrated ARPGs and I have played all of the games the genre has to offer, extensively.

I reinstalled Inquisitor: Martyr and Prophecy expansion because of all the ARPG talk. Every single system in that game puts TL3 to shame.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Worst of the three, arguably so. That they were all overrated, would likely be greeted by a fair bit of disagreement. They are lighter in tone and depth than many others, but tastes vary and Torchlight had established their share of fans. I believe TL3 would have had a better product if they hadn't switched gears quite so much during development.

Anyway, the 40k games have looked interesting to me, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the disk space to accommodate that unfortunately.
    lahnmir
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited October 2020
    I think Torchlight 3 will be forever compared to Torchlight 2. I doubt they can run away from that. If it does not compare well it will dismissed off hand. Whether that is fair isn't the question because players will do this and make their own decisions. 

I liked Wolcen a lot even though a lot of people didn't but I only played it offine so I cannot tell how I may like or dislike T3 but I enjoy games like Path of Exile and Grim Dawn. Those are very good games. If T3 cannot compare it will hard for it to compete.
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    I feel bad for anyone who spends money on this 

Spending $40 on this shitstain should be a damn crime

In it's current state I might spend $15 on it.  It will be interesting to see what PW does with Echtra in the coming months.

You'd be spending $15 too much.

The game is worthless
    I played it in alpha up until it went EA.  I could get 30 hours of enjoyment out of it, which is my break even point on a $15 game. Yeah I'm cheap but why not be with so many great games on sale all the time.

lahnmir said:

lahnmir said:

cheyane said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Worst of the three, arguably so. That they were all overrated, would likely be greeted by a fair bit of disagreement. They are lighter in tone and depth than many others, but tastes vary and Torchlight had established their share of fans. I believe TL3 would have had a better product if they hadn't switched gears quite so much during development.

Anyway, the 40k games have looked interesting to me, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the disk space to accommodate that unfortunately.
    Agree and a fair assessment.

Inquisitor Martyr is an 80gb beast of a game requiring quite a beefy PC for an ARPG. But having just returned there with a fresh character I am, again, floored by the amount of gameplay, systems and gorgeous graphics. There is so much to do, its ridiculous and has an excellent and huge ingame tutorial system to explain all of it. It might be my favourite ARPG truth be told.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]