Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Redefinitions: Why Do We Feel the Need to Redefine?

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited October 2020
    Scorchien said:

Show where i said its not ..

you cant ..

I said its Playing a Role Not Role Playing ... Not my problem you do not know or can figure out the difference ..

You set a standard by saying a Basketball game is an RPG ...EVERYTHING is now an RPG you do understand that right ..

So.. again ... what is not an RPG by your standard .. you should be able to answer that simply ... shoiuldnt you .. or cant you ?

But another thread where you LIE , cherry pick and move goalposts ..

Nah, the only person cherry-picking here is you.

I said very plainly, (because I'm a spoon remember?) I'm not complicated like you Mr. spork, I said NBA2k has an RPG part.

I literally said, "I'm not saying NBA2k is an RPG, it has an RPG part to it and its been that way for several years" 

LMAO, wth are you talking about Professor Oak?? go to bed!

I never said the NBA game was an RPG. I never said ALL GAMES are RPGs.

But you very clearly said The Witcher 3 wasn't an RPG and now you wanna back peddle but everyone saw it, now take the L, use the bathroom and go back to bed before you piss yourself.
    Post edited by klash2def on
    Ungood
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2020
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    lol Ive seen it all in this lifetime, a person on this site @Scorchien actually believes The Witcher 3 isn't even an RPG, his reasoning based on semantics that isn't even right.  NOT..and I repeat.. NOT an RPG. 

The Witcher 3.

Ok by your standards .. What is not an RPG

Sir, the burden of proof is not with me to prove what's not an RPG. I didn't make a claim of anything not being an RPG, that was you.

So that lies with you to prove how The Witcher 3 isn't an RPG, all you've said was that it was linear compared to Skyrim. That hasn't proved its not an RPG. 

Ok.. so even if it is Linear (which it isn't) it's still an RPG. I'm confused by your logic but I absolutely got a good laugh out of it. Thank you. 

No what i said ..

Is there is a difference between playing a Role

and

Role Playing ..

And you cannot provide an example of what is not an RPG by your standard because by your standard now EVERYTHING is an RPG ..

Not surprised your confused , like a spoon .. it has 1 to many moving parts for you

First off don't put words in my mouth, I never gave you any personal definition of what an RPG standard is.

Secondly, What does any of this have to do with The Witcher 3 being an RPG or not? YOU said it's not an RPG and it barely qualifies as an RPG. LOL, what...

Why are you saying there is a semantic difference between playing a role and roleplaying... sure? Who said otherwise?

Again, what does that have to do with the difference between an RPG and non-RPG?

I'm only confused about why you're talking in circles here.  You aren't proving anything.  

I'd rather be a spoon than a Spork and that's what your takes are sir. A spork.

Ive never been in a restaurant and ever thought about asking for a spork, you just don't ask for such a senseless item when you are about to eat. You get a fork or a spoon. It's just easier. Uncomplicated. 

you cant ..

I said its Playing a Role Not Role Playing ... Not my problem you do not know or can figure out the difference ..

You set a standard by saying a Basketball game is an RPG ...EVERYTHING is now an RPG you do understand that right ..

So.. again ... what is not an RPG by your standard .. you should be able to answer that simply ... shoiuldnt you .. or cant you ?

I said very plainly, (because I'm a spoon remember?) I'm not complicated like you Mr. spork, I said NBA2k has an RPG part.

I literally said, "I'm not saying NBA2k is an RPG, it has an RPG part to it and its been that way for several years" 

But you very clearly said The Witcher 3 wasn't an RPG and now you wanna back peddle but everyone saw it, now take the L, use the bathroom and go back to bed before you piss yourself.

you said it right here

"Just how you are not a Witcher, you are also not in the NBA.. so if you are playing the ROLE of an NBA player in a game with story and player progression, you are ROLEPLAYING. Playing Basketball is picking up a ball and going outside to shoot some hoops. Playing Simulation basketball on a gaming console or PC is nothing like playing in real life.. Its laughable that this has to be explained, i think you know you're just being obtuse. "

One of us needs sleep for sure

You r boring me now , its like kicking kittens ..  you literally have no idea what you posted ..

Gdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    lol Ive seen it all in this lifetime, a person on this site @Scorchien actually believes The Witcher 3 isn't even an RPG, his reasoning based on semantics that isn't even right.  NOT..and I repeat.. NOT an RPG. 

The Witcher 3.

Ok by your standards .. What is not an RPG

Sir, the burden of proof is not with me to prove what's not an RPG. I didn't make a claim of anything not being an RPG, that was you.

So that lies with you to prove how The Witcher 3 isn't an RPG, all you've said was that it was linear compared to Skyrim. That hasn't proved its not an RPG. 

Ok.. so even if it is Linear (which it isn't) it's still an RPG. I'm confused by your logic but I absolutely got a good laugh out of it. Thank you. 

No what i said ..

Is there is a difference between playing a Role

and

Role Playing ..

And you cannot provide an example of what is not an RPG by your standard because by your standard now EVERYTHING is an RPG ..

Not surprised your confused , like a spoon .. it has 1 to many moving parts for you

First off don't put words in my mouth, I never gave you any personal definition of what an RPG standard is.

Secondly, What does any of this have to do with The Witcher 3 being an RPG or not? YOU said it's not an RPG and it barely qualifies as an RPG. LOL, what...

Why are you saying there is a semantic difference between playing a role and roleplaying... sure? Who said otherwise?

Again, what does that have to do with the difference between an RPG and non-RPG?

I'm only confused about why you're talking in circles here.  You aren't proving anything.  

I'd rather be a spoon than a Spork and that's what your takes are sir. A spork.

Ive never been in a restaurant and ever thought about asking for a spork, you just don't ask for such a senseless item when you are about to eat. You get a fork or a spoon. It's just easier. Uncomplicated. 

you cant ..

you said it right here

"Just how you are not a Witcher, you are also not in the NBA.. so if you are playing the ROLE of an NBA player in a game with story and player progression, you are ROLEPLAYING. Playing Basketball is picking up a ball and going outside to shoot some hoops. Playing Simulation basketball on a gaming console or PC is nothing like playing in real life.. Its laughable that this has to be explained, i think you know you're just being obtuse. "

You r boring me now , its like kicking kittens ..  you literally have no idea what you posted ..

Hers more about your 10 year old ..

My 10-year-old is not in the NBA. He plays a character that is.. therefore he is roleplaying. My son won Rookie of the year making sure his next contract would be over 100M dollars and NIKE paid him some incentives based on his play.. it didn't have to happen but it did based on gameplay choices he made.. he then demanded a trade and made his teammates hate him. this is roleplay. Very basic concept.

remember saying that also , or is reality escaping you ... Hey maybe you are RPin an interent troll... not a very good one .. but it is possible

edited October 2020
    Scorchien said:

you said it right here

*GASPS* "Professor Oak?! Are you trying to... PICK MY CHERRY?? Ugh! How dare you!"

You're not even good at cherry-picking. You keep trying. 

OKAY.... I said THAT yes..but nowhere in there did I say.. NBA2K is an RPG.

Again, what does it have to do with any of your points?

Your argument before was that I said all games are RPGs and NBA2k is an RPG... where did I say that. You just quoted me but it does not prove that I said that because I didn't. 
    Again your sporky ways are confusing.

In the quote above that you so horribly tried to use I am stating the difference between Roleplay and Real Life. IN response to this post by you.

"Thats not Role Paying that playing basketball

There is a difference between playing a role

and

Role Playing

The Basketball player has no choice but to play Basketball..

Now if he could decided to be a serial fan Killer and murder a fan every month , and could steal other players gear , Woo there wives , get them to cheat and dump them cold or steal away and marry them ..     Bet against himself to pad a bet   etc .. the options are endless for Roleplaying ..........Now he would be Role Playing 

Otherwise ............... hes just a Basketball player" - You.

AGAIN: Here's where you said it since you don't remember. 

Me responding to the above:
    "Okay Right so by your logic then the Witcher is not an RPG either, since you can only be the witcher"

You: "That's exactly right... Witcher you play the role of Geralt.. stuck to rails with limited pre-scripted decisions.. that is playing a role. Not the same as Role-Playing."

stop lying. You already look crazy, now you just look plain bad. No amount of trying to change the meanings of what you said, Semantics or trying to misquote something I said is going to help you. Everyone can just read it themselves, and nobody is going to agree with you.
    Ungood
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:

Thats not Role Paying that playing basketball

There is a difference between playing a role

and

Role Playing

The Basketball player has no choice but to play Basketball..

Now if he could decided to be a serial fan Killer and murder a fan every month , and could steal other players gear , Woo there wives , get them to cheat and dump them cold or steal away and marry them ..     Bet against himself to pad a bet   etc .. the options are endless for Roleplaying ..........Now he would be Role Playing

Otherwise ............... hes just a Basketball player

Right, ok so the Witcher is not an RPG either because you can "only" be a Witcher by your logic. The Witcher has no choice but to be a Witcher.. LMAO, what are you talking about? That's exactly what an RPG is.. a roleplaying Game. Keyword. Role. Roleplaying. Role. Playing. Game. 

Just how you are not a Witcher, you are also not in the NBA.. so if you are playing the ROLE of an NBA player in a game with story and player progression, you are ROLEPLAYING. Playing Basketball is picking up a ball and going outside to shoot some hoops. Playing Simulation basketball on a gaming console or PC is nothing like playing in real life.. Its laughable that this has to be explained, i think you know you're just being obtuse. 

My 10-year-old is not in the NBA. He plays a character that is.. therefore he is roleplaying. My son won Rookie of the year making sure his next contract would be over 100M dollars and NIKE paid him some incentives based on his play.. it didn't have to happen but it did based on gameplay choices he made.. he then demanded a trade and made his teammates hate him. this is roleplay. Very basic concept.

He also isn't a man buried in a vault for 200 years but enjoys Fallout 4. You are the sole survivor no matter what in Fallout 4, looking for your kid. Does that mean its not an RPG? By your logic that's not an RPG because you don't have a choice to not be the sole survivor. You are him/her. 

The 2k game is a basketball game. It's not about killing people, it's about playing basketball. Basketball, like all pro sports, has many layers to it that people don't see or know about, the game explores that in great detail. You get to experience the process. So no, it's not JUST basketball, no more than Fallout or The Witcher 3 is only about killing Monsters.  Its roleplay in the highest form. You become a Pro Basketball player. 

Here's what you don't know because you obviously don't watch basketball. I do. Lifetime fan. There are 5 positions on the court, PG, SG, SF, PF, C. Each of them is different and does different things on the floor much like your Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Warlock, in RPGs. So in the RPG part of the game, picking one of those roles and playing it.. is..what everyone? (say it together!) ROLEPLAYING! That does not diminish the Simulation part of the game. It's very much there, I'm just acknowledging the RPG part also because it's VERY much there. 

Read what I wrote, stop looking for a fight.  I said NBA2k has had an RPG part for several years. It REALLY has. My point was not  "OMG NBA2k is an RPG!" ....smh.... my point was RPG is being combined with all types of games and it's okay because a game can be both RPG and something else at the same time.

RPG is no longer synonymous with DnD. That's a good thing, hard to understand why this is being looked at as a bad thing. Again this is why terms get redefined because new information or data is presented and we have new experiences from that information therefore making the previous term obsolete. 

Thats exactly right ..

Witcher you play the role of Geralt ..  stuck to rails with limited pre scripted decisions ..

That is playing a Role

Not the same as Role PLaying ..

As in Skyrim , where you can for ex .. be a Lycanthrope that enjoys leatherworking and killing a random virgin form town to town .. while peddling your wheres ..  While stealing from the rich to donate to poor beggers .. Thats Role Playing ..

There is a differnece ..
    Here's where you said it since you don't remember. 

Me: "Okay Right so by your logic then the Witcher is not an RPG either"

You: "That's exactly right... Witcher you play the role of Geralt.. stuck to rails with limited pre-scripted decisions.. that is playing a role. Not the same as Role-Playing."

Again .. Reading Comp ..

Its right there ..

" Witcher you play the role of Geralt ..  stuck to rails with limited pre scripted decisions .."

Again back to .. there is a difference between  Role Playing

and

Playing a Role ..

You seem to have trouble with this simple concept .. its not that hard ...

Think man think .. lmfao

and now .. please , im still waiting for a game by your standard that is not an RPG ..

Strange you will not answer ..  strange indeed
    Sounds like a 'No True Scotsman' fallacy.  Which does involve defining out all things that don't agree with your original statement.  

Splitting hairs for some sort of RPG purity.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited October 2020
    Scorchien said:

Thats exactly right ..

Witcher you play the role of Geralt ..  stuck to rails with limited pre scripted decisions ..

That is playing a Role

Not the same as Role PLaying ..

As in Skyrim , where you can for ex .. be a Lycanthrope that enjoys leatherworking and killing a random virgin form town to town .. while peddling your wheres ..  While stealing from the rich to donate to poor beggers .. Thats Role Playing ..

There is a differnece ..

That's not even remotely correct.

Or do all those actors in plays do nothing but repeat lines on rails? No, they "act." They are playing a role. They give their own bits here and there in order to make the character their own.

Just like the witcher where you can make decisions, build the skills and essentially make it your own. you are playing the role of Geralt of Rivia and adding your own touches as far as the game allows you to.

You're mistaking the breadth of how far a player can take that role with "not a role playing game."
    klash2defAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited October 2020
    klash2def said:

Read what I wrote, stop looking for a fight.  I said NBA2k has had an RPG part for several years. It REALLY has. My point was not  "OMG NBA2k is an RPG!" ....smh.... my point was RPG is being combined with all types of games and it's okay because a game can be both RPG and something else at the same time.

You're supposed to be trying to find evidence of me saying NBA2K is an RPG game. I literally said its not an RPG game right here. I never said all games are RPGs, I said RPG is being combined with all TYPES of games. 

I've provided evidence of you saying Witcher isn't an RPG. So where is yours of your claim or are you just going to keep doing a horrible job of cherry-picking my posts? 

funny you missed this part in the same post. @Scorchien ;LMAO, You post like you just discovered Facebook, half truthville. You're worse than fox news or cnn...

Why are you getting all these random bits from what I wrote because none of it supports anything you are saying. Stop quoting me, I don't support you. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    tzervo said:
    Too.. much.. scrolling. Must.. skip.. extra long quotes.
    Yeah they pretty much killed this thread.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited October 2020
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Because on this site there are a lot of different people with different tastes and different breadth of experience playing RPGs or MMORPGs but they're here because they consider themselves MMORPGers (even if they haven't played one for more than a decade :) ) so they try to fit all their likes, bias and fetishes into what an MMORPG is or should be.

As opposed to the OP, who seems to be desperately defending his own? 
    Did I inadvertently exclude someone when I said people?
    Well, you did start your response to the OP with "because", inferring that you agreed with his points. 
    Ungood

Once upon a time....

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Because on this site there are a lot of different people with different tastes and different breadth of experience playing RPGs or MMORPGs but they're here because they consider themselves MMORPGers (even if they haven't played one for more than a decade :) ) so they try to fit all their likes, bias and fetishes into what an MMORPG is or should be.

Well, you did start your response to the OP with "because", inferring that you agreed with his points. 
    You did notice that the thread topic is phrased as a question, didn't you?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I agree that people often seem to redefine words on this forum, and I am impressed that the OP used the question posed in the title to write a page long essay that argues Tetris is not an RPG based on the fact that it has no levels.

AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited October 2020
    Iselin said:

I wanted to speak to this earlier, but forgot :)

Isn't this the very reason we need more solid definitions? If all these people define words differently, than nobody understands each other, right? It's like listening to jive in the 70's. It sounds kind of like English, but isn't. In the movie Airplane, the fact that they had June Cleaver (Barbara Billingsly) be the translator for the 2 jive talkers was hilarious :)

Anyway, your point kind of illustrates why "redefining to fit" causes misunderstandings.

PS: Many posters have had many good and insightful posts. I'm still a "word nazi", so GET OFF OF MY LAWN! :lol:
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    We can still be classified as actors in a multi user dimension chasing after mobiles but over time it becomes an outdated reference. Depends which generation you come from.
    AlBQuirky

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Akulas said:
    We can still be classified as actors in a multi user dimension chasing after mobiles but over time it becomes an outdated reference. Depends which generation you come from.

That reminds me...

I wonder how long the fist to the ear with thumb and pinky finger extended will convey, "Call me!" Will it morph into a flat palm soon?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

As another thread showed we have quite a few Orcs on here. :)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited October 2020
    As a term, RPG is a broad one, sure The Witcher does not tick every box I would use to say something is an RPG, but then I don't think any game would. For example I prefer my RPG world to have the richness of Tolkien's middle earth, but I realise most RPG's even table top ones just won't have that. Entertainment works best when you use some give and take, not when you insist it conforms to your platonic ideal of what a certain thing must be.
    [Deleted User]klash2defArglebargleAlBQuirky
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    ...the most funny part is that the "definition" is not needed, it's pointless.

Apart from enjoying sitting on their high horse, people just argue for the sake of arguing, it is a moot discussion.

Notorious posts "xyz is not an MMO" by certain posters are the best.
    [Deleted User]klash2def
    The problem I see here is people want things to fit into a narrowly defined box created just for them. Not for nothing but just to win arguments. All this semantics shit doesn't change the facts.

The Witcher is an RPG, everything about its design is RPG. It does not have to fit anyone on this website's narrow definition of what an RPG is, because the people who created the game will tell you, they created an RPG, that was a design choice.

It's very bizarre to me, that some people here are even questioning whether or not a game that is so clearly an RPG is a "REAL" RPG or not.

This is such a one-dimensional train of thought. Some very closed-minded people around here... WHATS HILARIOUS, is the reason you like RPG games is that somebody was being OPEN MINDED about game design, but here you are like powder wigged fools saying "thE wItcHA iSnT a rEaL aRe-PeeEe-geE"

There are opinions and then there are facts. You may not care for the witcher, but to deny it is an RPG because YOU never played it all the way through or at all.. or just plain don't like it.. is not grounds to change the facts about it. 
    YashaX

edited October 2020
    Scot said:
    As a term, RPG is a broad one, sure The Witcher does not tick every box I would use to say something is an RPG, but then I don't think any game would. For example I prefer my RPG world to have the richness of Tolkien's middle earth, but I realise most RPG's even table top ones just won't have that. Entertainment works best when you use some give and take, not when you insist it conforms to your platonic ideal of what a certain thing must be.

The Witcher 3 is no less an RPG than any LOTR game sir but You are correct, RPG is broad, and not every game checks every box.. sure... but most games, you play them and you KNOW exactly what type of game it is... gamers aren't stupid, people know the difference between Madden Football and Skyrim. Witcher and Skyrim might be a little harder to find differences for the average eye but most gamers would call both games RPGs, not an FPS or Sports game.

I agree with the last part about not conforming games to fit an idea of what you want things to be, but let's not pretend we don't know what categories games BEST fit in. Keyword BEST FIT. Not a thing 1 random person on a forum decides, but the masses and the designers of said game. 

To be clear...I'm not saying I want The Witcher to be an RPG, Ive been saying it is an RPG because it literally is. That's not my opinion it's a fact. I will leave it to the old folks to argue about how much of an RPG it is compared to DnD 1e, but to deny that it is... on any level is frankly ridiculous.

Again its just silly semantics shit that never ends. Everything I wrote in this thread was to counter someone using semantics to try to disqualify the witcher from being an RPG... it's ridiculous. 

Since I'm not a close-minded, one-dimensional person, I don't personally need to conform it to anything, its clearly an RPG to millions of people around the world myself included, so for anyone to be saying otherwise means THEY are trying to change the meanings of words, conform or play semantics to get things to fit a very narrow idea of what they want a game to be. I am simply pointing out the truth of the game. 

Some people here are totally ignoring what's been put out there by the designers and other RPG connoisseurs just to win an internet argument? It's dishonest IMO but not new sadly.

The Witcher series of games may not fit some random old guy's box for what an RPG is supposed to be, but it doesn't have to lol.. it's not a requirement. Anyone who has played The Witcher 3 for longer than 5 minutes will tell you its an RPG without hesitation. It's weird to call it anything else. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited October 2020
    AlBQuirky said:

Isn't this the very reason we need more solid definitions? If all these people define words differently, than nobody understands each other, right? It's like listening to jive in the 70's. It sounds kind of like English, but isn't. In the movie Airplane, the fact that they had June Cleaver (Barbara Billingsly) be the translator for the 2 jive talkers was hilarious :)

Anyway, your point kind of illustrates why "redefining to fit" causes misunderstandings.

PS: Many posters have had many good and insightful posts. I'm still a "word nazi", so GET OFF OF MY LAWN! :lol:
    there are no solid definitions and there never have been.

And, there aren't any solid spellings either. I appreciate that you want things to be "in stone" but that's just a fantasy. It will never happen.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    AlBQuirky said:
    Iselin said:

Quite the opposite. We don't need codified hard definitions. When gaming becomes broader and more nuanced, we can go into what specifically makes each entry in a genre unique rather than being able to generally sum up every game with a genre label.

In fact, the genre died precisely because it became so codified and generic that "MMORPG" came to be synonymous with "WoW clone."

Don't be too offended at being called a word Nazi. After all, this forum has far too many actual Nazis for anyone's liking.
    klash2def[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    AlBQuirky said:
    Iselin said:

There is way too much focus on labels and not enough on explaining exactly what the person means when they use a label. Labels at best have widely accepted meaning but seldom if ever a universal one.

I've seen people here say that if a game world has instances it's not an MMORPG. That may be a fringe and small minority opinion but it's no more biased than those who say that the number of players must be 100+ or 1000+. My own personal preference is more in tune with the numerical bias than the instance one so naturally I value the opinion of those with a bias similar to mine than those who say massively multiplayer can mean 16.

But I'm no more definitively correct than the others because...

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Gdemamiklash2defAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2020
    Sovrath said:
    AlBQuirky said:

there are no solid definitions and there never have been.

And, there aren't any solid spellings either. I appreciate that you want things to be "in stone" but that's just a fantasy. It will never happen.

Soooo... No Merriam-Webster's dictionary in the new "stone pages" edition is not upcoming? :(
    Post edited by AlBQuirky on
    SovrathVermillion_Raventhal

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Iselin said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Iselin said:

There is way too much focus on labels and not enough on explaining exactly what the person means when they use a label. Labels at best have widely accepted meaning but seldom if ever a universal one.

I've seen people here say that if a game world has instances it's not an MMORPG. That may be a fringe and small minority opinion but it's no more biased than those who say that the number of players must be 100+ or 1000+. My own personal preference is more in tune with the numerical bias than the instance one so naturally I value the opinion of those with a bias similar to mine than those who say massively multiplayer can mean 16.

But I'm no more definitively correct than the others because...

That's a good thought process and way of seeing things.

I was thinking more in terms of today's "5 second soundbyte" or "144 characters" culture we all live in. Labels should help people understand, not confuse them :)

We see a label, a thread title, a single line post and have little reference to what was intended.

But hey, miscommunications and assumptions help in keeping this board alive! :lol:
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    AlBQuirky said:
    Soooo... No Merriam-Webster's dictionary in the new "stone pages" edition is upcoming? :(
    ...dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.