Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server You Most Enjoyed (and Not Because of the Game)?

Comments

• BahutBahut Member UncommonPosts: 25
    cheyane said:
    Bahut said:
    cheyane said:
    OMG I think so thanks for remembering. I was in Arcane Dominion. They wanted to kill Nagafen as server first. Yes AD folded infighting and unbelievable drama.

Darkwurm was the Necromancer right? He was a  decent guy who I felt was dragged down by Fury to his level. I was ashamed by the things my guild did. But I often tried to help those poor guilds they trampled on. I'd port folk to Hate and help corpse recovery with that cleric from Ascension her name was Bahia I think.

Darkwurm invited me to Fear runs even though I was from AD. Fury would get angry but may be because I was one of the few real life females in the guild he didn't kick me out.

My memory isn't any good since I am pushing 65. You have a fantastic memory I might add.

Thank you so much for remembering the names. I'm going to write it down.
    Darkwurm from my impression while apparently nice was abit of a hound dog with any female & pretty full of himself.  I had a falling out with him primarily after I found out he and most of the 50s in Unholy Order planned on quitting to create Ascension.   That guild lasted a fee months before folding.  

Around that time I was still levelling up.   Took so long to level in that game lol.  I’ll say this never met a community so tightly knit together in any game.   

That he was in fact my invitation probably came because he found out I was a real woman playing the game. Pretty old one at that considering a lot of the players were in their teens including Fury, my god he was so childish. Darkwurm was very nice to me though and allowed me to roll on the Wizard drops in Fear even though I was from Fury's guild although I never won anything.

They left the server Darkwurm and his guild and I used to regularly play with Tsintse (Shadowknight) who was from Darkwurm's guild.

Aside from Fury there were many good people in the guild like Marakeen the Magician and Vampiro the Paladin. Vampiro was an extremely nice guy. I kept in touch with Vampiro and Tsintse many, many years till now in fact although they both no longer play MMORPGs.

You're right about how tight knit the community was in that server and Everquest. I believe it was because how hard everything was without good people to play with.
    I recall those names although I was lower level at the time.   The great thing about being a shadowknight was that almost nobody played them to 50th. 

When guilds began raiding POF & POH I used to get messages to come loot umbral armor that was sk only since there was no high lvl shadowknights on lol.  I ended up gettIng end game armor for free without raiding lol.  
    cheyane
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Bahut said:
    cheyane said:
    Bahut said:
    cheyane said:
    OMG I think so thanks for remembering. I was in Arcane Dominion. They wanted to kill Nagafen as server first. Yes AD folded infighting and unbelievable drama.

Darkwurm was the Necromancer right? He was a  decent guy who I felt was dragged down by Fury to his level. I was ashamed by the things my guild did. But I often tried to help those poor guilds they trampled on. I'd port folk to Hate and help corpse recovery with that cleric from Ascension her name was Bahia I think.

Darkwurm invited me to Fear runs even though I was from AD. Fury would get angry but may be because I was one of the few real life females in the guild he didn't kick me out.

My memory isn't any good since I am pushing 65. You have a fantastic memory I might add.

Thank you so much for remembering the names. I'm going to write it down.
    Darkwurm from my impression while apparently nice was abit of a hound dog with any female & pretty full of himself.  I had a falling out with him primarily after I found out he and most of the 50s in Unholy Order planned on quitting to create Ascension.   That guild lasted a fee months before folding.  

Around that time I was still levelling up.   Took so long to level in that game lol.  I’ll say this never met a community so tightly knit together in any game.   

That he was in fact my invitation probably came because he found out I was a real woman playing the game. Pretty old one at that considering a lot of the players were in their teens including Fury, my god he was so childish. Darkwurm was very nice to me though and allowed me to roll on the Wizard drops in Fear even though I was from Fury's guild although I never won anything.

They left the server Darkwurm and his guild and I used to regularly play with Tsintse (Shadowknight) who was from Darkwurm's guild.

Aside from Fury there were many good people in the guild like Marakeen the Magician and Vampiro the Paladin. Vampiro was an extremely nice guy. I kept in touch with Vampiro and Tsintse many, many years till now in fact although they both no longer play MMORPGs.

You're right about how tight knit the community was in that server and Everquest. I believe it was because how hard everything was without good people to play with.
    I recall those names although I was lower level at the time.   The great thing about being a shadowknight was that almost nobody played them to 50th. 

When guilds began raiding POF & POH I used to get messages to come loot umbral armor that was sk only since there was no high lvl shadowknights on lol.  I ended up gettIng end game armor for free without raiding lol.  
    I am so excited there is someone else who remembers all these people because Everquest was my very first foray into this genre and PC gaming after my son was born and I quit my job.

Shadowknights were really hard to find. Considering the penalties while levelling and the hybrid Jack of all trades they were rare indeed.
    Chamber of Chains
    Do you recall a guy named Alexei he was a cleric in Arcane Dominion.  When AD was beginning to crumble he created a guild called The Foundation.  He asked me to join and seemed kinda sketchy to me but we grouped up.  He and I started alts as gnomes although I wasn’t aware he had a bad rep on his 50th cleric.   

Turned out to be a pretty horrible cleric after grouping on our 50s.   Spent most of the time trying to shoot things with smite and stun not healing.  
    edited September 2020
    Bahut said:
    Do you recall a guy named Alexei he was a cleric in Arcane Dominion.  When AD was beginning to crumble he created a guild called The Foundation.  He asked me to join and seemed kinda sketchy to me but we grouped up.  He and I started alts as gnomes although I wasn’t aware he had a bad rep on his 50th cleric.   

Turned out to be a pretty horrible cleric after grouping on our 50s.   Spent most of the time trying to shoot things with smite and stun not healing.  
    No I don't but our guild did leave for 7th Hammer. I think we had reformed to Sanctuary by then. 

I think I didn't play for a time because I had to move to Brazil when my husband was sent there and it took us months and bribes to get our furniture and my PC.

Then I switched to Anarchy Online and Dark Age of Camelot and later to FFXI.

Hmm was Alexie a Dark Elf cleric I may have heard of him after all. Yes now I recall he also took Naylan one of the enchanters in the guild with his wife Luvyanne (Druid) or something to that effect for his new guild. They were a married couple in real life. Later on Naylan and Luvyanne came back to our guild.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Bahut said:

No I don't but our guild did leave for 7th Hammer. I think we had reformed to Sanctuary by then. 

I think I didn't play for a time because I had to move to Brazil when my husband was sent there and it took us months and bribes to get our furniture and my PC.

Hmm was Alexie a Dark Elf cleric I may have heard of him after all.
    Yea he was a dark elf.  He would stay on his alt with me levelling gnome twinks & would log on his cleric to help fight things once in awhile.  I remember him almost dying to a low level npc lol.  Anytime he logged on his cleric he went anon because he said people didn’t like him.   

I ended up selling my EQ account lol.  I too played DAOC and Final Fantasy Online.  The first version of that game before they redid it.  
    cheyane
    Bahut said:
    cheyane said:
    Bahut said:

Yea he was a dark elf.  He would stay on his alt with me levelling gnome twinks & would log on his cleric to help fight things once in awhile.  I remember him almost dying to a low level npc lol.  Anytime he logged on his cleric he went anon because he said people didn’t like him.   

I ended up selling my EQ account lol.  I too played DAOC and Final Fantasy Online.  The first version of that game before they redid it.  
    Reputation was everything in the game. Once you have a bad one it was hard to do much with anyone.
    Chamber of Chains
    While I was briefly on 7th hammer I met another shadowknight named Ranadin leader of The Dark Exile guild.  They were an uber guild & I think they were the only one for awhile.  I used to talk to him quite abit even though I switched back to bertoxx.  He went on to win the shadowknight best of the best tournament.  
    cheyane
    edited September 2020
    cheyane said:
    Bahut said:
    cheyane said:
    Bahut said:

Reputation was everything in the game. Once you have a bad one it was hard to do much with anyone.
    Well its too bad we never met in game back then but its nice to run into an old bertoxxulian lol.   

When I played I was usually always with a troll warrior named Bloodshard, his wife a dark elf wizard Eludyan, a wood elf ranger named Quellick, his wife an erudite Cleric named Azursa, another erudite enchanter named Jetta and a dark elf mage named Fhyre.  We grouped all the time and formed the guild Omani.  

Originally wanted the name to be Illuminati but it was taken :) settled on Omani and it looks like the guilds still going.  
    cheyane
    edited September 2020
    I know Quellick very, very well. I met him very early on when I started playing Everquest. He was a gem because he used to keep spots open for me in High Pass when he was leader of the group so I got into a group as a Wizard which was kinda hard at times and I would wait for hours . I was playing from Singapore then so time difference was considerable.

I do recall he took a break from the game at some point. I started Everquest relatively early and quite close to when it launched so I knew the older players in terms of how long they had played and I had a low profile. I was very new to this genre so I was quite timid and hardly took part in 'zone shout conversations'. I was also a poor player in my opinion but over time I improved.

Elguapo another Paladin, Tsintse and Vampiro together with Shazariahl(Erudite wizard) and Zeocin (Human Cleric) were my best friends. I had a young child so at times I was exhausted and fell asleep at the kb and they would port me out to a safe spot. Tough to find players like that any more unless you're very lucky. The genre has a lot of players now but with numbers come the diminishing chances of encountering good people.

I love that you know so many people I know too. Thanks for the memories. Best day today and meeting you.

@Amathe thank you for this thread because it enabled me to recall some of my fondest days in gaming.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Amathekitarad
    Chamber of Chains
    edited September 2020
    cheyane said:
    I know Quellick very, very well. I met him very early on when I started playing Everquest. He was a gem because he used to keep spots open for me in High Pass when he was leader of the group so I got into a group as a Wizard which was kinda hard at times and I would wait for hours . I was playing from Singapore then so time difference was considerable.

I do recall he took a break from the game at some point. I started Everquest relatively early and quite close to when it launched so I knew the older players in terms of how long they had played and I had a low profile. I was very new to this genre so I was quite timid and hardly took part in 'zone shout conversations'. I was also a poor player in my opinion but over time I improved.

Elguapo another Paladin, Tsintse and Vampiro together with Shazariahl(Erudite wizard) and Zeocin (Human Cleric) were my best friends. I had a young child so at times I was exhausted and fell asleep at the kb and they would port me out to a safe spot. Tough to find players like that any more unless you're very lucky. The genre has a lot of players now but with numbers come the diminishing chances of encountering good people.

I love that you know so many people I know too. Thanks for the memories. Best day today and meeting you.

@Amathe thank you for this thread because it enabled me to recall some of my fondest days in gaming.
    Yea Quellick & his wife Azursa would come with me to Star Wars Galaxies that we played together for awhile.  Then we switched to FFXI when it came out.  Unfortunately we had a falling out, rather Quellicks wife & I lol.  

Long story, in that game to create a guild you required linkpearls that were purchased with in game currency. At the time I was a newb & it cost almost all of mine.  From the pearl you got linkshells that you gave to people for your guild/chat group.  I made that for us.  

I was working crappy 12 hour shifts at times 6 in a row so I couldn’t play as much.  When I’d log in there was all these new people in the guild I didn’t know.  Some of whom started dictating to me the rules and higher level then me so I couldn’t do anything.  I was of the attitude I made it you don’t tell me what to do so I deleted it entirely and told them to go buy and make their own.  

Only recently talked to Quellick last year.   Wife still won’t talk to me lol although I see her still playing EQ from my Xbox dashboard.  Tried apologizing to no avail.   :(
    edited September 2020
    I can totally get where you were coming from. Sometimes it is hard to make up. I had falling out over stuff with others too over the long years of gaming. I wish too I could take back some of the mean tells but it's out there.

AD had some drama and I won't mention names because you might know them but hmm... come to think of it I don't recall the names. One of the married women in our guild slept with a 17 year old boy(also in the guild) and her real life husband also in guild found out. That was terrible the whole thing played out in guild chat.

Later when I was in 7th Hammer the husband who had changed his name sent me a tell and said hi and asked me not to tell others who he was. I didn't but he updated me that he got a divorce and how embarrassed  he was over the whole drama in guildchat.

I am not exactly guilt free too as I did flirt a lot while I was playing and I think I abused my "being female" thing. 
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    I can totally get where you were coming from. Sometimes it is hard to make up. I had falling over stuff with others too over the long years of gaming. I wish too I could take back some of the mean tells but it's out there.

AD had some drama and I won't mention names because you might know them but hmm... come to think of it I don't recall the names. One of the married women in our guild slept with a 17 year old boy and her real life husband also in guild found out. That was terrible the whole thing played out in guild chat.
    Lol yea I hear you but like you although mean at the time they probably were deserved.   If you’re on the xbox my profiles MrM0J0696
    edited September 2020
    Bahut said:
    cheyane said:
    I can totally get where you were coming from. Sometimes it is hard to make up. I had falling over stuff with others too over the long years of gaming. I wish too I could take back some of the mean tells but it's out there.

AD had some drama and I won't mention names because you might know them but hmm... come to think of it I don't recall the names. One of the married women in our guild slept with a 17 year old boy and her real life husband also in guild found out. That was terrible the whole thing played out in guild chat.
    Lol yea I hear you but like you although mean at the time they probably were deserved.   If you’re on the xbox my profiles MrM0J0696
    I will note it down but the only game I played on Xbox on PC is Phantasy Star Online 2. Are those zeros or the letter 'O'?
    Chamber of Chains
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Firiona Vie EQ1 - THe community was excellent. Many roleplayers. We even had to learn other languages to communicate with various races. They often had language groups where players would learn various tongues.
    OT, but I always wanted ancient languages that, if deciphered, could give clues to great treasures and lost relics. 
    Imagine also a player secret society that used an ancient language to speak and pass notes about things they don't want anyone else to know. 

I always thought it would be fun to find notes written in cryptic languages that players could learn and decipher leading to treasure or some other bonus.
    Amaranthar
    cheyane said:
    Bahut said:
    cheyane said:

I will note it down but the only game I played on Xbox on PC is Phantasy Star Online 2. Are those zeros or the letter 'O'?
    Zeroes
    cheyane
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I always thought it would be fun to find notes written in cryptic languages that players could learn and decipher leading to treasure or some other bonus.

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:

No it has to be MILO not that pretend drink.
    AlBQuirkyAmathe
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited September 2020
    Firiona Vie EQ1 - THe community was excellent. Many roleplayers. We even had to learn other languages to communicate with various races. They often had language groups where players would learn various tongues.
    OT, but I always wanted ancient languages that, if deciphered, could give clues to great treasures and lost relics. 
    Imagine also a player secret society that used an ancient language to speak and pass notes about things they don't want anyone else to know. 

I don't know who knows what, but there are people who get together and create their own entire languages. It's not gaming stuff, it's people who study RL languages and just love to play around with them to create what might be thought of as "alien" languages. That's how different some of them are built.
    It's been many years since I've seen anything on that, though, but I'm sure there's still people like that. 

It would be cool if there was stuff like that to delve into in a deep MMORPG. 
    Yes, simple notes, and a few clues to get us started, with rewards. And from there, each language could get deeper and deeper into them, until you get into some long lost ancient relics of great power. Or new spells and crafting knowledge, even. 

I'm thinking here of a world that had about 10 past "ages", the age of Dragons, for example. Why couldn't an ancient Dragon species, long gone but for their evolved descendants, have made their own written language based on symbols made with their paws in melted stone, having used their breath to soften it up? 

Once upon a time....

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited September 2020
    Justice server in CoH.  It was my first experience in MMORPGs, and later I found out how lucky I had been to be playing with some (relatively) well behaved and helpful people.

Worst servers were WoW, until I started playing Age of Conan where kill stealing and griefing were routine parts of the day at high level.
    [Deleted User]

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2020
    That was pretty much a common trope in TSW (decipher stuff to get more hints and more clues to decipher to lead you somewhere not on the map or quest GPS of other games), and worked really well.

Not on made-up languages though what Amaranthar suggested...
    That's a mix for example from already existing "demonic" ( :) ) alphabets and you simply translate latin onto it, the challenge was just to figure out which rune goes for which letter.

The satellite transmission was a better fit for it (actual decipher, leading to a treasure location and also gives the box's unlock code), but wasn't a made-up cypher/encoding either, just basic hex, binary, etc.
    https://youtu.be/_K9QAPo8UXs 

ed: and those two links are the perfect examples why it ain't a frequent thing devs do... most players would just fire up google or youtube and check the solution.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Veeshan.

Sanctum of Rall.

Not gonna mention the games or why I loved these servers, if you know.. you know, if you don't, don't worry about it.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Veeshan.

Sanctum of Rall.

Not gonna mention the games or why I loved these servers, if you know.. you know, if you don't, don't worry about it.
    I was on Sanctum of Rall.  Mostly just did WVW though.  
    Ungood
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Blue Dragon - Age of Wushu

First NA server. So much happened over the years. Guilds, alliances, personal beefs. Webs everywhere.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Gilgamesh Server FFXI merged a couple of years ago but back at release was very nice server. The BS that most games go through and the many toxic players you see got squashed and forced to quit the game in Gilgamesh. The community was so tight most knew each other because the game was forced group back then it was a real mmorpg and if you messed around no one would let you join their party/alliance and was impossible to make any progress in game solo. I remember this dude ninya or something was his name was in sky endgame killing sky gods and didn't have points yet to loot and looted for an OP item back then and acted like a jerk when call on it, before you know the whole server knew and he quit shortly after he wouldn't get groups anymore. 
    Was so surprised when I tried WoW and saw how bad community is in a game where no one cares if you talk shit and act like an idiot and most players keep joking about Chuck Norris and some anal+skill name linked on chat which made no sense.
    Some above mentioned LOTRO I do agree I had good times in LOTRO and didn't see stupid jokes  but community is not that tight in games where you quest solo and just group in dungeons.
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Eclipse SWG server, played on a couple of different servers for SWG, but the community on Eclipse was the best (in my opinion), played lots of MMOs since, lots of different servers, nothing has come close to matching how Eclipse was.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...