Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon's Making A NEW Sci-Fi MMO (Yes I'm Serious)

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

[Deleted User]

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If I knew what Amazon San Diego considers an MMO, I could get mildly whelmed :)

Guess we'll just have to wait for details.
    Nanfoodlecameltosis
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Iselin said:
    If I knew what Amazon San Diego considers an MMO, I could get mildly whelmed :)

Guess we'll just have to wait for details.
    From the video we may be hearing soon what they are working on. Smedley maybe a reason that even if they tell us what they are working on, I still my not become whelmed lol
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The web guy screaming "This game is trash! This game is trash!" Is a maniac, but a likeable maniac.
    NanfoodleIselinAlBQuirkyachesoma

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    "Smedley has a long history of working on MMOs"
    We can stop there.
    Nanfoodlexpsync
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Smedley is an almost 'underwhelm' reaction by default.  Do we really need another version of Planetside, because the image that most like what the various hints evoke.

The bigger question for me is if this is tied in any way to a known IP, or if this is Amazon's attempt at a roll-your-own science fiction world.  Okay, it sounds like more emphasis will be on shooting than science, so I'd love to see a Joe Haldeman (The Forever War) IP in MMORPG format.  Even a decent Robert Heinlein Starship Troopers game (no Casper van Dien involvement, please).

NanfoodleAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Smedley is an almost 'underwhelm' reaction by default.  Do we really need another version of Planetside, because the image that most like what the various hints evoke.

The bigger question for me is if this is tied in any way to a known IP, or if this is Amazon's attempt at a roll-your-own science fiction world.  Okay, it sounds like more emphasis will be on shooting than science, so I'd love to see a Joe Haldeman (The Forever War) IP in MMORPG format.  Even a decent Robert Heinlein Starship Troopers game (no Casper van Dien involvement, please).

I would kill for a Firefly IP. Wild West in space, yes pls. 
    strawhat0981AlBQuirkymmolou
    edited September 2020
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

Well it's Amazon so The Expanse would make the most sense... and that would definitely whelm me. It's an awesome "near-future" space universe with built in 3 factions to boot.
    xpsyncAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    POG?
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

Well it's Amazon so The Expanse would make the most sense... and that would definitely whelm me. It's an awesome "near-future" space universe with built in 3 factions to boot.
    I agree, Im just saying what I have wished for too many times on this forums. =-)
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

The Expanse GAWD i love that show!

...and infinite galaxies/universes to explore, ummm hell YEAH!! Now you went and got me all pumped up, because yes that would make perfect sense.

xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

...and infinite galaxies/universes to explore, ummm hell YEAH!! Now you went and got me all pumped up, because yes that would make perfect sense.
    Only if I can play as a Protomolecule race. =-)
    Iselinxpsync
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Hey maybe they can make an Anarchy Online 2 but instead of Omni the evil corporation will be Amazon!
    xpsyncAlBQuirky
    Nanfoodle said:
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

Have you read the books? And if so, how far along are you? Don't want to spoil anything :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited September 2020
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

Have you read the books? And if so, how far along are you? Don't want to spoil anything :)

There are something inwards of 9 novels right, and i've thought about diving in but the show is so f'ing good and all new to me so maybe later, i like not knowing anything while watching the series, so i dunno, they good reads?

I read that the tv series is pretty much going along in sequence with the novels? So far.
    Nanfoodle

edited September 2020
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

There are something inwards of 9 novels right, and i've thought about diving in but the show is so f'ing good and all new to me so maybe later, i like not knowing anything while watching the series, so i dunno, they good reads?

I read that the tv series is pretty much going along in sequence with the novels? So far.
    I started reading them long before the TV series started. The first book came out in 2011.

There are 8 novels so far with the 9th and final one coming next year,

The TV series has covered the first 4 books so far. Very faithful adaptations too.
    Nanfoodlexpsync

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Iselin said:
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

I started reading them long before the TV series started. The first book came out in 2011.

The TV series has covered the first 4 books so far. Very faithful adaptations too.
    It isn't that faithful for instance Bobbie's testimony  and how Miller met them. I do understand why they did it though.

Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

Didnt know there was books. I have been watching the shows but I just started the new season. Pls dont say any spoilers =-)
    xpsync
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited September 2020
    Are we really mad at this? The more mmorpgs in production the better imo.
    SovrathNanfoodlecameltosis
    remsleep said:
    Picture this - a mmo sci-fi shooter made by Amazon in San Diego -hmm what other sci-fi shooters were made by san diego devs in the last 20 years?

Planteside 1 and 2 (SoE san diego studio made this)
    Defiance (ex-trion San Diego based studio made this)

When you realize that many of the above devs worked under Smedly at some point (lots of Defiance devs worked at SoE), it all sort of starts to make sense what kind of a game we might get.
    The Studio and Smedley, I dont think anyone on this forum is not aware of what that combo could bring. Like the video said, I do think Amazon desire to make great games and their willingness to put games back in development can be seen as positive but a quality outcome is unlikely. On the other side, we have seen games that started out bad and with love and money been turned around. FF14, No Man's Sky, ESO. (((shrugs)))
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Iselin said:
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    xpsync said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

So... George R. R. Martin is not involved? :lol:

========================
    The video was depressing. Amazon has 3(?) MMOs in development right now? And zero released games with 4 or 5 released and trashed single player games?

It's not looking good...
    GdemamiCatibrie

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

kitarad said:

It isn't that faithful for instance Bobbie's testimony  and how Miller met them. I do understand why they did it though.

There are differences of course like Miller's partner that the TV series killed off in Season 1 so they had to make changes in Season 4, 2 prominent spacer female characters that have been melded into one, season 4 setting up what's about to happen in 5 like the books never did, etc.

But all in all it's much more faithful to the source than almost any other adaptation I can think of.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    The job posting stated "brand new scifi world" so won't be established IP.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

· Experience creating stories for massively multiplayer role playing games.
    · Able to accept and provide constructive criticism and maintain a professional attitude.
    · Independently self-motivated team player with excellent communication skills.
    · Passionate gamer with in-depth knowledge of current commercial game titles and an avid MMO player
    · Has been a key contributor from prototype to polish.
    · Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
    · Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.

[Deleted User]
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    achesoma said:

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

· Able to accept and provide constructive criticism and maintain a professional attitude.
    · Passionate gamer with in-depth knowledge of current commercial game titles and an avid MMO player
    · Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.

Even with an established IP, creating stories is part of every MMO but you could be right. ((shrugs))
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Nanfoodle said:
    achesoma said:

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

Even with an established IP, creating stories is part of every MMO but you could be right. ((shrugs))

It specifically says "brand new scifi world."
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "Thrive on ambiguity" is a qualification. Such an applicant would love working for my boss.
    NanfoodleAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests