Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD announces that they will make some announcements in October.

2»

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Asm0deus said:
    Quizzical said:
    In the gaming desktop market, AMD absolutely is the market leader right now (for CPUs, not GPUs).  That's not the entire x86 market, of course.  But it is the main one that we care about on this site.

Claiming that Intel is the market leader in CPUs is kind of like claiming that they're the market leader in GPUs (at least for Windows).  By raw number of GPUs sold, including integrated, they are.  But for gaming desktops, they're a very, very distant third, behind Nvidia and AMD.
    Steam hardware survey says far more than an Amazon link ever will ;)

Not really considering it takes into account old trends/hardware like my old arse i5-750 which I am still using.  If AMD continues to lead in the cpu  sales like they have lately it will still take quite a few years before you see that shift in any steam hardware surveys.

This isn't like switching to w10 from previous windows where it's not really costing much as it means peeps with old PC need to junk them and get all new builds from the last year or two.

Who knows...maybe you will be known as Red Turtle by then!  ;)
    when 22 of the top 40 selling CPUs on his own link to Amazon show Intel sold over AMD and Steam users using 70%+ Intel over AMD it is safe to say that AMD is not the market leader no matter where you want the narrative bent ;)   
    @Red Turtle

AMD is market leader on Amazon. They've got 9 out of top 10 spots on that list of CPUs sold.

You're the one trying to bend the narrative by making your top list so large that it includes irrelevant products like I7-6700K from 2015 and the giving those irrelevant CPUs same weight as today's top sellers.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" (Anonymous, 1891)
    GdemamiAsm0deus

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Asm0deus said:
    Quizzical said:
    In the gaming desktop market, AMD absolutely is the market leader right now (for CPUs, not GPUs).  That's not the entire x86 market, of course.  But it is the main one that we care about on this site.

Claiming that Intel is the market leader in CPUs is kind of like claiming that they're the market leader in GPUs (at least for Windows).  By raw number of GPUs sold, including integrated, they are.  But for gaming desktops, they're a very, very distant third, behind Nvidia and AMD.

Not really considering it takes into account old trends/hardware like my old arse i5-750 which I am still using.  If AMD continues to lead in the cpu  sales like they have lately it will still take quite a few years before you see that shift in any steam hardware surveys.

This isn't like switching to w10 from previous windows where it's not really costing much as it means peeps with old PC need to junk them and get all new builds from the last year or two.

when 22 of the top 40 selling CPUs on his own link to Amazon show Intel sold over AMD and Steam users using 70%+ Intel over AMD it is safe to say that AMD is not the market leader no matter where you want the narrative bent ;)   
    AMD's current desktop lineup only even includes 14 SKUs that are sold at retail in the US.  And even that list of 14 includes the three Threadripper options that cost $1400 and up and really aren't for gaming.  As of when I posted the link, most of AMD's current mainstream (i.e., not Threadripper) desktop lineup was outselling all but one of Intel's SKUs, and even some older AMD CPUs were also outselling all but one of Intel's.
    Gdemami
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Vrika said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Quizzical said:

@Red Turtle

AMD is market leader on Amazon. They've got 9 out of top 10 spots on that list of CPUs sold.

You're the one trying to bend the narrative by making your top list so large that it includes irrelevant products like I7-6700K from 2015 and the giving those irrelevant CPUs same weight as today's top sellers.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" (Anonymous, 1891)
    I'm not bending anything I am looking at the total picture.
    You are creating a drama in this that is not there. 
    What this thread has shown more than anything is that people here confuse best selling at this moment in the much smaller retail segment with 'market leader' 
    Intel is the market leader in CPUs, period. 
    The retail market is a very small portion of the market sales.
    There is no amount of arguing on anyone's side that will change that.  
    AMD is doing very well for the moment (in retail) but overall market share belongs to Intel by a large margin. 
    That was the point. It stands. 
    You can not prove that fact wrong. 

You're looking at the past.  I'm looking at the present.  A lot more gaming desktops this year are being built using an AMD CPU than Intel.  Five years ago, it was overwhelmingly Intel.  But today, AMD is well ahead.

Sure, there are other markets for x86 CPUs besides gaming desktops.  Business desktops, laptops, servers, HEDT workstations (overwhelmingly dominated by AMD right now, by the way) and some others are other markets.  And yes, Intel is still doing a lot better in the server and laptop markets than they are in gaming desktops, though AMD is making considerable inroads there, too.

If you want to argue that Intel is still the market leader in gaming desktop CPUs because of ultrathin laptops or something, you might as well argue that they're also the market leader in gaming desktop GPUs.  By market share of total GPUs sold for Windows systems, Intel is way out in front.  But if you restrict to gaming desktops, Nvidia is the market leader, with AMD in second and Intel a very distant third.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다