Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia Announces RTX 3070, 3080, and 3090 Graphics Cards

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageNvidia Announces RTX 3070, 3080, and 3090 Graphics Cards

The cat's out of the bag: Nvidia has officially revealed its next generation of graphics cards, beginning with the RTX 3080 on September 17th and the RTX 3070 in October. Also announced, but without pricing or availability, was the massive RTX 3090, an incredible, triple-slot GPU Nvidia claims can support 8K gameplay at 60 FPS, as well as several exciting software developments.

Read the full story here

Comments

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    they sound amazing, but I am going to guess well out of my budget when building a PC. I usually drop top 1500 to build a PC, and I dont see this fitting that budget, or even close. Most people do not have $1K to spend on a card.
  • whoywhoy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    RTX3070 $499 only? Why so cheap?
    [Deleted User]
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

whoy said:

RTX3070 $499 only? Why so cheap?

You have a strange sense of cheap. Im gonna wait till people have paid for the production costs of the product and it drops to $280 and I will pick it up then lol
    GdemamiRelampagodragonlee66McSleazrojoArcueid
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Wauw great price for a rtx 3080. I hope we can pre order soon
    IceAge
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

boris20 said:

they sound amazing, but I am going to guess well out of my budget when building a PC. I usually drop top 1500 to build a PC, and I dont see this fitting that budget, or even close. Most people do not have $1K to spend on a card.

3070 is $499 and looks to be competitive with the 2080 Ti (according to the charts, anyway).
    GdemamiIceAge
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Yes but don't forget they are recommending a minimum 850 watt PSU new one with the new special pin connector. So it will not be 499 it will be 499 plus the new PSU price.
    GdemamiIceAge

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2020
    botrytis said:
    Yes but don't forget they are recommending a minimum 850 watt PSU new one with the new special pin connector. So it will not be 499 it will be 499 plus the new PSU price.
    Where did you get that info?

According to NVidia's own website RTX 3070 has TPD of 220W, they recommend your PSU's total power is 650W, and you'll need to have one normal 8 pin PCIe power connector.

Even the RTX 3090 recommends only 750W and will work fine with two normal 8 pin PCIe power connectors. You won't need 850W PSU with new special power connector for any of these cards.

Source:
      https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/?nvid=nv-int-cwmfg-64629#cid=gf73_nv-int-cwmfg_en-gb
    IceAge

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    xD_Gaming said:
    Add in, AMD still hasn't shown big navi yet, as this is the first time in history that nvida showed their hand first .... its a weird situation for nvidia, as it feels like they "had" to release something ...
    What do you mean first time in history?

NVidia released their previous architecture (RTX 2000 cards) back in 2018, whereas AMD's RX 5000 cards were first released in 2019. Also prior that NVidia showed their hand with RTX 1000 cards in 2016, and AMD's Vega architecture that was supposed to answer to them didn't come until 2017.

Gdemami

Vrika said:
    botrytis said:
    Where did you get that info?

According to NVidia's own website RTX 3070 has TPD of 220W, they recommend your PSU's total power is 650W, and you'll need to have one normal 8 pin PCIe power connector.

Even the RTX 3090 recommends only 750W and will work fine with two normal 8 pin PCIe power connectors. You won't need 850W PSU with new special power connector for any of these cards.

Source:
      https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/?nvid=nv-int-cwmfg-64629#cid=gf73_nv-int-cwmfg_en-gb
    https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/seasonic-to-launch-12-pin-connector-for-the-nvidia-rtx-3000-series/

The 12 pin connector is for the 3080/3090 - so I will will correct myself there.

I have a 1060 and it draws way more than what NVidia says it would. So I take their power numbers with a huge grain of salt.
    GdemamiDekahnIceAgedragonlee66

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567

Asm0deusRoinangerbeaverdragonlee66[Deleted User]McSleaz
  • DekahnDekahn Member UncommonPosts: 90
    edited September 2020
    - Edit
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    My 2080 ti still can do its job for 5 years more^^
    McSleaz
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    HA!

Watch all the 2080/2080ti's go up for sale for stupid high prices 1500$+ for reasons like, I don't have time to play anymore or I got a new PC and don't need it anymore etc etc.... :smiley:

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Paper launch, at least for the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090.  They're relying on memory that isn't yet in mass production, and just started sampling, even.  See for yourself:

https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6x/part-catalog

And those parts weren't even listed as sampling two weeks ago.  So don't try to pre-order one, as you might not get it this year.

The RTX 3070 might well have a hard launch even if the higher end cards are a paper launch, as it uses established GDDR6 memory.  Due to architectural differences, it's not clear how an RTX 3070 would compare to existing cards, so we'll have to wait for reviews to know.  It could plausibly be faster than an RTX 2080 Ti, but it could just as plausibly be slower.
    IceAge
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    So glad i waited to upgrade with the 30 series! Patience is a virtue! 8)
    IceAgeAsm0deusTacticalZombeh
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Ok, THIS is what I call a giant leap.

This info is amazing. Yes, they are pricey, but look at the charts. I think I will go with RTX 3080.

Nevertheless, I'm sure they have more in store, especially for lower cost cards, like GTX 1060 or RTX 2060 which should get an announcement later this year.

Also, RTX IO?! YES please!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Voidfarer said:

Exactly this. I skipped the 20 series! I still have an GTX 1060 which is still doing the job well done, but is starting to show his limits and 3080 seems the way to go!
    TacticalZombeh

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited September 2020
    IceAge said:

Voidfarer said:

Exactly this. I skipped the 20 series! I still have an GTX 1060 which is still doing the job well done, but is starting to show his limits and 3080 seems the way to go!

Imagine I will go from a gtx760 to likely a 3080 as I have about 1000$cad set aside for a gpu.  Can't wait for black friday and I am hoping there will be some new cpu's out too!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Time for a new flight sim rig ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Asm0deus said:
    IceAge said:

Voidfarer said:

Imagine I will go from a gtx760 to likely a 3080 as I have about 1000$cad set aside for a gpu.  Can't wait for black friday and I am hoping there will be some new cpu's out too!
    AMD has promised that Zen 3 (probably fourth gen Ryzen) and Navi 2X will both launch late this year.  Intel Tiger Lake CPUs are due to arrive soon, but may be only for laptops.
    [Deleted User]
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Planning to quad SLI 3090s.  Hoping to get 60+ FPS in WoW at high settings.
    botrytis[Deleted User]AalamrTacticalZombehRemyVorender[Deleted User]Reizla
    LOL

Quad SLI is no longer supported. Even two-way SLI is barely still supported.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I knew it.. it just frog leaped 2080 by a lot.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I'm so glad I didn't bother with a 2000 series. My GTX1080 still does work, even in 4k for some games. I've been waiting for end of year to upgrade my entire rig and the 3080 will be a nice cherry on top.