Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Races

achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
edited September 2020 in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
So on the new Pantheon site races page, https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/races/ it shows an empty slot that mentions "Future Races."

Then on the concept art page there is this

This is definitely new concept art. Not sure if quietly implying stretch goal race or expansion race. But certainly caught my eye.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
Post edited by achesoma on
AmatheSovrath

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    achesoma said:
    So on the new Pantheon site races page, https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/races/ it shows an empty slot that mentions "Future Races."

This is definitely new concept. Not sure if quietly implying stretch goal race or expansion race. But certainly caught my eye.
    Excellent!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I would kill for Dark Elves. 
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited September 2020
    Nanfoodle said:
    They have dark elves....pantheons version of dark elves are called Dark Myr...
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Where are the Barbarians !!!
    Wellspring
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    They have dark elves....pantheons version of dark elves are called Dark Myr...
    Yes an aquatic race is just like an underground dwelling Evil Elf. Sorry as a fan of Dark Elves I find your proposal preposterous. 
    Vigor021
    Thats what they are loosely based on.
    I encourage you to go read all the posts on the official forum and watch all the VR produced streams.  
    It would update you on a lot of info.
    TwoTubes said:
    I encourage you to go read all the posts on the official forum and watch all the VR produced streams.  
    I have and no they are not. Even their religion is ideals are not the same. Their goals as a race and back story are not even close. Sure its Pantheons idea to be different but they are not Dark Elves no matter how many times you say it =-) I do like the Dark Myr, its nice to see unique races but again, not Dark Elves. Also, Dark Elves are way Sexier. 
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    I have and no they are not. Even their religion is ideals are not the same. Their goals as a race and back story are not even close. Sure its Pantheons idea to be different but they are not Dark Elves no matter how many times you say it =-) I do like the Dark Myr, its nice to see unique races but again, not Dark Elves. Also, Dark Elves are way Sexier. 

The elf race in Pantheon is simply called "Elves". Maybe you can change the skin tone at character creation and create whatever kind of elf you want: high, wood, or dark.
    --------------------------------------------
    achesoma said:

This is definitely new concept. Not sure if quietly implying stretch goal race or expansion race. But certainly caught my eye.

I would assume that concept art is more likely an NPC race, rather than an unannounced playable race.

If you look at all of the other concept art shown on that page, none are of playable races.

Here's one that looks like NPC Giants:

Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:

The elf race in Pantheon is simply called "Elves". Maybe you can change the skin tone at character creation and create whatever kind of elf you want: high, wood, or dark.
    Would be a pacifier. I would want an underground city like Neriak. The whole backstory. I loved my DE in EQ1. I spent years grinding faction so I could go to good alignment cities. I wrote a whole story for my char that was kinda a Drizzt path to the light. Its not a game breaker for me but my fav race in a fantasy setting is Dark Elves.
    achesoma said:

I would assume that concept art is more likely an NPC race, rather than an unannounced playable race.

If you look at all of the other concept art shown on that page, none are of playable races.

If they added a new giant race, I would love to see Trolls or Orcs. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:

Would be a pacifier. I would want an underground city like Neriak. The whole backstory. I loved my DE in EQ1. I spent years grinding faction so I could go to good alignment cities. I wrote a whole story for my char that was kinda a Drizzt path to the light. Its not a game breaker for me but my fav race in a fantasy setting is Dark Elves.

Maybe you can choose from different starting cities... like in EQ1, humans could start in Freeport or Qeynos.

Don't give up hope!
    Nanfoodle
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    edited September 2020
    Honestly the playable races in Pantheon don't do much for me so far.  The halflings would be ok but the backstory is that they were a more normal race cursed to be halflings.  Um...ok

They have a race called Gnomes but they are actually some weird robot or animated suits of armor race.  Ya, backstory explains it but....why?  Why tell people you have Gnomes as a playable race and then give them something which is not Gnomes at all.  If you want Gnomes have Gnomes.  If you want a robot race call them something else.

They have Dwarves but they are blue.  Again, why?  If you're going to have Dwarves have Dwarves.  If you want to have a short blue race call them Smurfs or something.

Then there are the Dark Myr.  These appear have a darker blue skin color.  I actually got excited about them at first because they were supposed to be some type of Merfolk race.  Then I read more and discovered that, no, they are not actually merfolk.  They used to be merfolk but then blah, blah, blah they are no longer really merfolk.  Again, why?  Why put in a race of merfolk but then make them not merfolk at all.  Why even bother?

They have that weird ugly race.  I don't even remember what they call them but they don't appeal to me at all.

They have elves who are ok I guess but they also have a odd blue/grey skin color.  The devs seem to have an odd fascination with blueish skin tones.

There is that other race.  Again I forget the name but I think it starts with an "A".  Archai or something, I don't even care enough to look it up.  Blah, blah...whatever it doesn't interest me.  But hey, at least they're blue.

I get that they are trying to be different but the choices they have made with the playable races don't seem very good to me.
    Post edited by Neanderthal on
    Wellspring
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    achesoma said:

I don't know how new this is as a concept.  These could easily be revamped and reinterpreted brownies straight out of EQ1.  Nice artwork, I kinda like these.  But, new --  probably not.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    achesoma said:

I don't know how new this is as a concept.  These could easily be revamped and reinterpreted brownies straight out of EQ1.  Nice artwork, I kinda like these.  But, new --  probably not.

Still need a concept art on anything they put in the game. Even things that are common to fantasy. Like Fairy folk, Dragons or a stupid Goblin. The art needs to match the games art style. It needs to be approved and for that, concept art. Being a high fantasy game, we will see lots of common themes and also VR's unique ideas, like the new races they have created.  
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    They look a lot like the Fae in EQ2. 

But then, none of these companies invented fairies.

Tiny magic person + tiny magic wings = fae/fairy. 
    Nanfoodle

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    If they had dark elves people would just complain that they copied EQ.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Mendel said:
    achesoma said:

I meant new concept art added to the website after update. Yes, butterfly people are nothing new to fantasy.

achesoma said:

Yeah, I was think that was possibility too. HOWEVER, if you go to their playable Races page, each race shows 2 together, 1 male and 1 female. Each one in different armor types indicating different classes. These have similar setup but both female. Likely, they're all female race. Plus, they specifically added a "Future Races" tab at the same time as dropping that Fae-like concept art. That concept art of the Giants is old. Time will tell.
    Wellspring
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    You definitely havent read all the posts on the official forum or you wouldn't say a lot of things that you do.  It's a bit funny that you even claim you have.  

Nanfoodle
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    You definitely havent read all the posts on the official forum or you wouldn't say a lot of things that you do.  It's a bit funny that you even claim you have.  

Ok genius, what makes them just like Dark Elves? If you know sooooo much. Educate me. 
    edited September 2020
    Yeah I’m not getting Dark Elf vibe from Dark Myr either. These are clearly fish people. 

Pantheon April Producers Letter Shows Skar Dark Myr and Archai Models -  MMOCULT - MMORPG Blog  Community

Post edited by achesoma on
    SovrathNanfoodleKyleranAmathe
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:

Ok genius, what makes them just like Dark Elves? If you know sooooo much. Educate me. 
    I'm not going to take the time to dig up threads from years ago.  I'm sure you can do a forum search if you didn't read them when they were posted originally.
    KyleranNanfoodle
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:

I'm not going to take the time to dig up threads from years ago.  I'm sure you can do a forum search if you didn't read them when they were posted originally.

so you have no evidence go on - Willy Wonka  Meme Generator

I'm noticing a trend with you.
    Nanfoodleachesoma
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited September 2020

I get that they are trying to be different but the choices they have made with the playable races don't seem very good to me.
    I'm on the fence. I'm ok with them taking liberties with standard races.

But I get that not being appealing to some.

For example, years ago (too long ago at this point) when I ran a D&D campaign, my dark elves weren't "dark" but albino because I thought it ridiculous that they were underground but physically dark. 

I had dark skinned upper world because that made sense.

Now, blue? don't know. Gnomes being party machine? I see the logic but I guess a "why" would be appropriate.

AmatheNanfoodle
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo