Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Pre-Alpha 5 Shakeout In-Game Preview

Comments

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Hmmm, although they are progressing, definitely slower pace and other games are going to overshadow this.

Also, I realize now based on the UI and graphics look, if people are looking for something like this, they should just play Project Gorgon that is already pretty much out. 

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Greatness said:
    Hmmm, although they are progressing, definitely slower pace and other games are going to overshadow this.

Also, I realize now based on the UI and graphics look, if people are looking for something like this, they should just play Project Gorgon that is already pretty much out. 
    I have backed Pantheon but have no desire to stop playing games while I wait. This game is on the last few steps before they move from Pre-Alpha to Alpha. My guess is, we have 1-2 years to wait. Project Gorgon is not really my cup of tea but it does seem to have a solid base of players. 
    YashaX
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    As someone who doesn't have pre-alpha access, I enjoyed getting a glimpse of what the testers will get to experience when they play the Pre-Alpha 5 Shakeout next weekend.

It was great to see a starter zone and the newbie gameplay for a change. It was very reminiscent of EQ1.

All in all, it looks like they're making some good progress.

NanfoodleachesomaAmathe
    --------------------------------------------
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Lookin' exactly like the type of game I'm wanting.

I dislike a ton of abilities, I loath flashy graphics and outlandish combat arts.  

Very happy with this subdued style.
    NanfoodleachesomaAmathe
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The girl on the log in screen looks like Ygritte from Game of Thrones. Think this game is coming out any time soon? You know nothing Jon Snow.
    Wellspring

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Couple things I took away from the video. Climbing starts right from the start of the game. Even low level dungeons have climbing. It is part of exploring in the game. When you get deeper into the game, if your climb skill is behind, it looks like you will have missed allot of the game. 

I do love the no hand holding.

Also picking races and classes does shut some doors. The Dire Lord class is evil and NPC will kill you because of your choice. NPC will not talk to you because you are evil. Would stand to reason a good class like a Druid would have the same problem from a NPC of evil alignment. I miss that from MMOs. 

Amatheachesoma[Deleted User]
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I watched most of the video.  VR really needs to tune their videos considerably.  Some specific points.
    • The hosts kept talking about how differently the NPCs would act in different situations.  This was a single point, driven home for almost all of the 30 minute video, but there was nothing to show how the NPC dialog changes over time.  So, this amazing 'ability' was only talked about, not demonstrated.  (Granted, a demonstration would require interaction with the same NPC at different levels of the character's journey).
    • I did like that there weren't any tags or labels over the character, only their names.  However, their names included an embedded profession, so you could pretty much guess what the character was going to do.  The leather worker sent you to find some materials.
    • The world graphics were a bit odd to me.  Specifically, the building seemed far too tall.  The basic buildings appeared to be 4 to 5 times taller than the human character in the video.  That would make the peak of the buildings between 25 and 30 feet tall.  That in itself wouldn't be bad, but all the building appeared to be single story or two story buildings.
    • The landscape still had the major planes from the early games.  The player jumped off of walls without injury, and couldn't climb back up the wall.  This doesn't speak well for the implementation of the climbing functionality.
    • The buildings were very static.  There didn't appear to be a way to go in or out of a building.  So, all the NPC characters were outside.  I wonder what purpose the climbing ability has if a character can't climb up a building and sneak in an upstairs window.  Many of the 1st generation games featured buildings with interior spaces and doors.  This seemed like a step in line with more recent games than the 'old school' feeling they want to emulate.
    • The initial quest dialog was a bit confusing.  The character was told to look for the leather worker in the nearby village, but there weren't any directions towards the village!  No signs in the environment, no roadway or path, not even a 'Go East' in the dialog.  The developers knew where to go, but a new person wouldn't.  That might be fixed, but that's a pretty weak start for the 'new player experience'.
    Overall, VR really needs to put production value into these videos, if they don't want to drive off their potential customers.  Professional voice actors with professional scripts would help immensely.  It may be geeky to hear developers talk, but the videos could be sharper and deliver the message more succinctly.  People are judging their company by the products they can see, and these videos are the product (for now).

Sure, some of these observations can be addressed in the next development stages.  The impressions left by shoddy videos can't.

At least they kept the talking heads off-screen this time.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    I watched most of the video.  VR really needs to tune their videos considerably.  Some specific points.
    • The hosts kept talking about how differently the NPCs would act in different situations.  This was a single point, driven home for almost all of the 30 minute video, but there was nothing to show how the NPC dialog changes over time.  So, this amazing 'ability' was only talked about, not demonstrated.  (Granted, a demonstration would require interaction with the same NPC at different levels of the character's journey).
    • I did like that there weren't any tags or labels over the character, only their names.  However, their names included an embedded profession, so you could pretty much guess what the character was going to do.  The leather worker sent you to find some materials.
    • The world graphics were a bit odd to me.  Specifically, the building seemed far too tall.  The basic buildings appeared to be 4 to 5 times taller than the human character in the video.  That would make the peak of the buildings between 25 and 30 feet tall.  That in itself wouldn't be bad, but all the building appeared to be single story or two story buildings.
    • The landscape still had the major planes from the early games.  The player jumped off of walls without injury, and couldn't climb back up the wall.  This doesn't speak well for the implementation of the climbing functionality.
    • The buildings were very static.  There didn't appear to be a way to go in or out of a building.  So, all the NPC characters were outside.  I wonder what purpose the climbing ability has if a character can't climb up a building and sneak in an upstairs window.  Many of the 1st generation games featured buildings with interior spaces and doors.  This seemed like a step in line with more recent games than the 'old school' feeling they want to emulate.
    • The initial quest dialog was a bit confusing.  The character was told to look for the leather worker in the nearby village, but there weren't any directions towards the village!  No signs in the environment, no roadway or path, not even a 'Go East' in the dialog.  The developers knew where to go, but a new person wouldn't.  That might be fixed, but that's a pretty weak start for the 'new player experience'.
    Overall, VR really needs to put production value into these videos, if they don't want to drive off their potential customers.  Professional voice actors with professional scripts would help immensely.  It may be geeky to hear developers talk, but the videos could be sharper and deliver the message more succinctly.  People are judging their company by the products they can see, and these videos are the product (for now).

Sure, some of these observations can be addressed in the next development stages.  The impressions left by shoddy videos can't.

Hiring voice actors and writing professional scripts for a pre-alpha gameplay preview... I think you're forgetting this is not a AAA studio.

On top of that, the more production value they put into these videos, the more time and money each one will take, and the less of them we will get to see overall.
    NanfoodleSovrath
    edited August 2020
    Mendel said:
    They have showed up AI in many other videos. This was a new area they are just starting to test. Also they have said, they will have many more passes on new AI features. 

The buildings did look odd to me as well. Being Pre-Alpha and also a new area thats far from done. I am not sure if these are placeholders. VR has yet to show the inside of cities or buildings. Im not sure why. As for the size of the buildings. Allot of MMOs are now making the buildings larger to scale to the characters then would be realistic in real life. The reason is because of camera clipping. IMO its a needed change. 
    Right now, all fall damage is turned off. Joppa has also said there is some patches coming with climbing in mind. They are adding endurance meter to climbing. Again being Pre-Alpha, this is not a state we see games at. This is a unique insight into how games develop. My guess is by the time they get to Alpha. We will see most major systems in the state VR intends them to be played. 

They are going for a no hand holding approach. I agree some hints would be nice but most people that backed the game. This is what they are looking for. 

I am not sure how they put production value into a video of a new area that is far from finished. Again, Pre-Alpha. I wish more games showed this much early development. For people who dont work in the industry, this is really interesting. As for hurting new customers and driving people away. If they dont get what Pre-Alpha is. Well them walking away till they see the game functional, I dont think that will change much. Backers need to see what they are doing and thats what they are giving us. Its raw but its real. 

Gdemami
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Nanfoodle said:

The buildings did look odd to me as well. Being Pre-Alpha and also a new area thats far from done. I am not sure if these are placeholders. VR has yet to show the inside of cities or buildings. Im not sure why. As for the size of the buildings. Allot of MMOs are now making the buildings larger to scale to the characters then would be realistic in real life. The reason is because of camera clipping. IMO its a needed change. 

That's true, areas are sometimes made larger so that the camera is not too unwieldy.

It's possible that some buildings will allow players to enter and those buildings need to be larger. Then, if there are buildings that can't be entered, they need to still match the architecture of the usable buildings.

Of course these might just be, as you suggested, place holders.

Nanfoodle
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Right now, all fall damage is turned off. Joppa has also said there is some patches coming with climbing in mind. They are adding endurance meter to climbing. Again being Pre-Alpha, this is not a state we see games at. This is a unique insight into how games develop. My guess is by the time they get to Alpha. We will see most major systems in the state VR intends them to be played. 

It looked to me from the video that the endurance meter for climbing has already been implemented. When Roenick climbed that rock in the beginning his stamina was dropping. Idk what would've happened if he had run out before reaching the top though.
    Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle said:

It looked to me from the video that the endurance meter for climbing has already been implemented. When Roenick climbed that rock in the beginning his stamina was dropping. Idk what would've happened if he had run out before reaching the top though.
    Have to admit I didnt notice. Awesome if they have already added it. I am happy to see climbing is something they leverage right from the start. I do like the look of their vertical climbing/exploring than GW2 jumping puzzles. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Have to admit I didnt notice. Awesome if they have already added it. I am happy to see climbing is something they leverage right from the start. I do like the look of their vertical climbing/exploring than GW2 jumping puzzles. 

The implementation of climbing seemed very inconsistent in this video.  The character could climb the hill to speak to the 2nd NPC, but later couldn't climb the wall they jumped off to get back into town.  Climbing is looking more like it is done in certain places in the landscape, not something that is a universal movement functionality for dealing with vertical and near vertical surfaces.  Conan Exiles, for instance, allows climbing everywhere.

Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

The implementation of climbing seemed very inconsistent in this video.  The character could climb the hill to speak to the 2nd NPC, but later couldn't climb the wall they jumped off to get back into town.  Climbing is looking more like it is done in certain places in the landscape, not something that is a universal movement functionality for dealing with vertical and near vertical surfaces.  Conan Exiles, for instance, allows climbing everywhere.

Last video showed them climbing everything, including random trees. This video they started at level 1 so being a skill based game. His character may not have had the skill level needed to climb well. Joppa has said that you can climb any surface.  
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Last video showed them climbing everything, including random trees. This video they started at level 1 so being a skill based game. His character may not have had the skill level needed to climb well. Joppa has said that you can climb any surface.  

Just an observation about this video.  He climbed a nearly vertical surface (the hill) when led by a quest, but the climbing animation didn't trigger when he ran straight into another nearly vertical surface (the wall) on his way back into town.  Maybe there is some skill going on, maybe not.  It was not evident *IN THE VIDEO*.  There was no "insufficient skill" message anywhere to be seen.  That's pretty weak feedback to the player.

Joppa saying something doesn't always make it so.  That's a matter of belief, not observation.

Gdemami

Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Just an observation about this video.  He climbed a nearly vertical surface (the hill) when led by a quest, but the climbing animation didn't trigger when he ran straight into another nearly vertical surface (the wall) on his way back into town.  Maybe there is some skill going on, maybe not.  It was not evident *IN THE VIDEO*.  There was no "insufficient skill" message anywhere to be seen.  That's pretty weak feedback to the player.

Joppa saying something doesn't always make it so.  That's a matter of belief, not observation.

Back to not taking the lead developers word? What has he done to you? lol
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    It's so refreshing not having a forced quest-line for players to follow. If you notice, there's no xp for quest turn-in. It'll be nice to actually have exploration and discovery in an mmo again. Joppa defining the difference between orientation and hand-holding was important.

I really like how that npc paladin killed Joppa and announced it to the zone lol. He was a human character in a human zone and it didn't matter. NPC guards attacked him anyway. The fact that not just your race but your class can affect how the world treats you is quite significant. Decisions are actually going to matter in this game. And at very early levels, players will have to learn fundamental group play and pull tactics. I truly believe this game is going to be more challenging than people realize.
    [Deleted User]NanfoodleAmatheSovrath
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    I also noticed Roenick loses xp upon death. Can see it here.

Nanfoodle
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I've never deviated from that stance.  I will believe something once it has been shown to be working the way it was stated.  So far, there's no evidence for 'universal climbing' that is observable.  From this video, it looks a lot like climbing is built into certain spots in the environment.

KyleranGdemami

Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I've never deviated from that stance.  I will believe something once it has been shown to be working the way it was stated.  So far, there's no evidence for 'universal climbing' that is observable.  From this video, it looks a lot like climbing is built into certain spots in the environment.

Your not looking close enough. The video below shows them climbing rocks, trees, logs and Joppa talks allot about climbing and how questing will work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCKDgQ7KS1Q
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Your not looking close enough. The video below shows them climbing rocks, trees, logs and Joppa talks allot about climbing and how questing will work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCKDgQ7KS1Q

Different video.  Different area.  May have different rules applying.  Comparing apples to oranges, a bit.  Went up a vertical cliff, ran into a (smaller) vertical wall and didn't try to climb.  Apparently inconsistent.

Gdemami

• TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Someone hasn't been following closely enough...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Take a developer at their word, who does this?

Not we who live under the bridge, we make them show us first.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Take a developer at their word, who does this?

Not we who live under the bridge, we make them show us first.

Maybe I'm nuts but for a game in pre-alpha. I think they have done a good job of doing that. Raw and uncut. 
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    omg and mmoRPG

Super Impressed tbh!!!
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L