Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are mmorpgs boring?

124»

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,387
    I don't think it's possible to recapture the magic you felt playing your first MMO.  For me it was also EQ and nothing else has compared nor do I expect anything to ever compare to it.  I felt a smaller amount of it with WoW circa 2004, but now WoW has stifled all innovation in the genre and there's no more magic to be found.
    Of course it's possible. 
    Just: 
    - remove all the auto-interactions so players interact themselves, 
    - design multiple means of interactions, 
    - make interaction with others very beneficial in all ways, not just grouping in one-off "quests", 
    - and for God's sake, remove these wildly crazy power gaps so players aren't auto-divided and separated almost at birth. 

Once players are no longer separated by the hypnotic gaze of crazy Power Gaps, and Guilds with strong social ties are the norm, then you can also have guild interactions, alliances, and co-ops by players in a mutually beneficial way, too. 

Enough of this "Lord Of The Flies" design. Once you make interactions beneficial (and interesting), you'll see a whole different attitude from most players. 

You make some good points.  In retrospect, most MMOs weren't really great games.  In a lot of ways, games like EQ were more like AOL chat rooms with an RPG over it.  I believe that's one reason a lot of old MMO devs are failing in later projects.  They don't see that it was the tight knit communities more than their "genius" game design that made early MMOs great.  I'm not saying they weren't deep games doing innovative things - especially for the time, but it really was the people that made that era so much fun!

Give me cool people, some satisfying gameplay loops, and a reason to do it together and I'm happy any day.
    There's good and bad in every game. 
    But the biggest "bad" of them all is not designing a game where players in a Massively Multiplayer world can stay together and do things as a consistent unit. 
    And the more things players can do together, as a consistent group that feels a kinship/fellowship, the better. 

GdemamiAlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,214
    The Golden Rule of MMO Development:

"Most MMO Developers dont know or understand what makes certain MMOs and their features Successful or Failure. They simply take random concepts and program them into a playable experience and wait for the results."
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,214
    remsleep said:
    This is my personal experience - once I hit end game and repetition/grind begins - fun drops off rapidly (well below initial fun while experiencing new content)

YMMV
    Endgame only exist in Level Based MMOs. 

Without the Levels, that illusion wont be there. Since in reality, nothing really changes between Endgame and Level Grind. Just one have a actual number on your avatar that goes up while doing the same thing, while the other you do the same exact things you did leveling up, but no number to go up and show change directly.

We need more Levelless MMORPGS with new forms of Progression focused gameplay on other things than just personal character progression. 
    AmarantharGdemamiAlBQuirky

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,387
    remsleep said:
    This is my personal experience - once I hit end game and repetition/grind begins - fun drops off rapidly (well below initial fun while experiencing new content)

YMMV
    Endgame only exist in Level Based MMOs. 

Without the Levels, that illusion wont be there. Since in reality, nothing really changes between Endgame and Level Grind. Just one have a actual number on your avatar that goes up while doing the same thing, while the other you do the same exact things you did leveling up, but no number to go up and show change directly.

We need more Levelless MMORPGS with new forms of Progression focused gameplay on other things than just personal character progression. 
    I just want to point out that there are various means of progression, levels are just one. But no matter how you slice it, the characters still get more powerful with progression. 

The big question is to what degree. 
    Even with levels and classes, there can be any degree of progression that the game Devs decide on. 
    That can be to a very large degree (many "Clones" do this), or a very small degree, or anything in between. 
    The same can be pointed out about "Skill Based" games. 

The whole point is that, with any system, it's how the DEGREE of progression affects Player Interactions; guilds, friends, trade, etc., in long term social cohesion. 
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

Once upon a time....