Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight III Is Coming To Nintendo Switch This Fall

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageTorchlight III Is Coming To Nintendo Switch This Fall

The full release of Torchlight III is coming this fall to Xbox One, PS4, PC and the Nintendo Switch this fall, bringing with it the full experience on the go for Switch users.

Read the full story here

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Maybe if they had concentrated on just one platform at the time things might have gone smoother and faster. Don't get me wrong the game has improved 100% since the debacle that was the MMO version. It runs better and everything feels faster. I got the feeling thought that doing the EA thing has really hurt this game in the end. It pretty much feels like it has driven away most of the player base at this point.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

remsleep said:

k61977 said:

Maybe if they had concentrated on just one platform at the time things might have gone smoother and faster. Don't get me wrong the game has improved 100% since the debacle that was the MMO version. It runs better and everything feels faster. I got the feeling thought that doing the EA thing has really hurt this game in the end. It pretty much feels like it has driven away most of the player base at this point.

Really bland boring game play is what has driven most of the players away.

T3 is easily one of the most forgettable arpgs I've played period

Yeah i was really hoping to get into this. But no surprise the first Torchlight game under PWE would end up like this. Runic games is no more.
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    The ARPG fan space is some of the most assholey people I've ever met. You can never make them happy.

If your game doesn't resemble PoE in every way, but better ( even though it's been out for way longer ) then prepare to be crucified.

Seriously. Calm down. T3 had some issues but it's trying to improve - same thing with Wolcen. I understand you were excited about T3 and were disappointed by it's monitzation schemes, but they seem to want to turn it around and are actively attempting to make it be a successor to the popular T2.

elveoneFrodoFraginsjimmywolf
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It was clear a long time ago that the graphics and UI were limited to accommodate the Switch.  I have no idea how well it will sell on consoles, but it sure as hell is likely to bomb on PC's.

They've had messed up priorities since the beginning.  They deserve the scorn honestly.
    elveone
  • BlazerXBlazerX Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited August 2020
    WTF I still can't get a refund for this shitty game because I didn't know playing more than 2 hours negated a refund on Steam. What BS. Most of that time playing was having the game crash and dealing with bugs.
    elveone
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Hariken said:

remsleep said:

k61977 said:

Really bland boring game play is what has driven most of the players away.

T3 is easily one of the most forgettable arpgs I've played period

Yeah i was really hoping to get into this. But no surprise the first Torchlight game under PWE would end up like this. Runic games is no more.

All Totrchlight games have been developed with PWE as a publisher. The downfall of this one is listening to people who said that they wanted this game to be more like the previous ones which forced them to rework absolutely everything in the last 2 years. It is a miracle how good this game is given how much the scope of it has changed really. It is not perfect but it is also not a bad game.
  • SeaAndSandSeaAndSand Member UncommonPosts: 15

The ARPG fan space is some of the most assholey people I've ever met. You can never make them happy.

If your game doesn't resemble PoE in every way, but better ( even though it's been out for way longer ) then prepare to be crucified.

Seriously. Calm down. T3 had some issues but it's trying to improve - same thing with Wolcen. I understand you were excited about T3 and were disappointed by it's monitzation schemes, but they seem to want to turn it around and are actively attempting to make it be a successor to the popular T2.

It could also be that it's actually not a great game.

Having played it during the closed alpha as Torchlight Frontiers and periodically up to recently before EA launch, have they changed a lot? Yes. Did they take player feedback to heart in those changes? Yes. Did that make it a good game? That's debatable.

I get what you're saying, but it's hard not to make comparisons, especially when there's three big ARPGs on PC (Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, PoE) that each hit a different niche in terms of complexity and playstyle. Torchlight 3, as of this point anyhow, doesn't really do anything as well as any of those do, nor did it really feel as enjoyable as its predecessor.

That said, I look forward to seeing what it's like at Switch release as that system is pretty barren as far as ARPGs go, so I can see it being worthwhile there.
    jimmywolfApridise

Having played it during the closed alpha as Torchlight Frontiers and periodically up to recently before EA launch, have they changed a lot? Yes. Did they take player feedback to heart in those changes? Yes. Did that make it a good game? That's debatable.

I get what you're saying, but it's hard not to make comparisons, especially when there's three big ARPGs on PC (Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, PoE) that each hit a different niche in terms of complexity and playstyle. Torchlight 3, as of this point anyhow, doesn't really do anything as well as any of those do, nor did it really feel as enjoyable as its predecessor.

That said, I look forward to seeing what it's like at Switch release as that system is pretty barren as far as ARPGs go, so I can see it being worthwhile there.

No, the player feedback did not make the game good. It made it a completely different game though. A year and 9 months ago when we first got our hands on the game it had two classes with 6 skills each, that were learned through a currency that was a loot drop, it had horizontal progression without character levels at all, 6 enemy types in total, shared world instances with day and night cycle. Currently all the progress that hey had made on that game design had been scrapped with the exception of a few character and environmental models. At this point we've basically seen all the game's development in front of our eyes - from a barely playable prototype of something completely different to something that would be praised as a pretty good aRPG had it not had the Torchlight name attached to it.
    jimmywolf
    edited August 2020
    elveone said:

No, the player feedback did not make the game good. It made it a completely different game though. A year and 9 months ago when we first got our hands on the game it had two classes with 6 skills each, that were learned through a currency that was a loot drop, it had horizontal progression without character levels at all, 6 enemy types in total, shared world instances with day and night cycle. Currently all the progress that hey had made on that game design had been scrapped with the exception of a few character and environmental models. At this point we've basically seen all the game's development in front of our eyes - from a barely playable prototype of something completely different to something that would be praised as a pretty good aRPG had it not had the Torchlight name attached to it.

You do realize that none of the problems they got themselves into would of happened if they just took TL2 as the foundation and added depth to the systems?

This quote, while about films/TV, is quite apropo.

Tyler just wasn't the right person for this job.  He kept wanting to make big changes and carry over as little as possible, even favorite classes.  D4 devs have clearly learned and have made great effort to carry over classes from the past.

The devs clearly didn't start form the point "What were the things people most loved about TL2?".  They started from the point of "Let's make a Torchlight MMO with lots of MTX.  And let's give them all kinds of new things that will be fun to develop.  Oh and it needs to run on the Switch"

elveonejimmywolf
    edited August 2020

They've already stated that all big changes are complete and they are bug fixing, balancing and polishing.  They've also advertised that it's coming out on consoles this Fall.  What we have is what will be launched.

As far as PC goes, I'll probably buy it if they ever add full mod support to offline mode.  Assuming offline mode has working multiplayer.  At that point, who cares what they try to do with it.  They can shut down at that point and there would still be a bright future.

Too many devs see ARPGs as an easy market to enter and often deliver crap.  There's no reason to deliver a TL2 sequel this shitty.  None at all.

elveone said:

You do realize that none of the problems they got themselves into would of happened if they just took TL2 as the foundation and added depth to the systems?

This quote, while about films/TV, is quite apropo.

Tyler just wasn't the right person for this job.  He kept wanting to make big changes and carry over as little as possible, even favorite classes.  D4 devs have clearly learned and have made great effort to carry over classes from the past.

The devs clearly didn't start form the point "What were the things people most loved about TL2?".  They started from the point of "Let's make a Torchlight MMO with lots of MTX.  And let's give them all kinds of new things that will be fun to develop."

No, the guys at Echtra wanted to make something new, fresh and original and fans like you always got in their way. Then when they did everything you suggested suggested they do you, and I do mean exactly you because I remember you doing it, said "I don't like that" and started being bitchy about the game in general.

Torchlight 1 was made in 8 months. Torchlight 2 was made in 2 and a half years. Torchlight 3 was made in basically an year and a half because everything they've made prior to that has been thrown out. People are wondering why it is worse than TL2 and for me it is pretty obvious - lack of time. The game is not perfect but it is far from being bad and the team is pretty competent at what they are doing.

Sometimes Tyler seems stubborn but in time he has done absolutely everything people have wanted him to do. I do not agree with everything they've done during the development. Hell, I don't agree with most of what they've done because it was based on moronic feedback to begin with but it is kind of hard to blame the designer when he is desperately trying to please people who do not know shit about game design. And those people are demanding changes made to the game that would take far more time than the devs ever had so listening to them makes the situation more and more desperate. That's actually the reason for the pricing and the early access and the multitude of bugs and weird design decisions.

I mourn the death of Torchlight Frontiers because that would have been pretty amazing if it had stayed the course. But it died when the fans of the previous games decided they did not like a pretty barren alpha and blamed all of its problems on systems that had nothing to do with said problems forcing the developers to rework absolutely everything and remove a lot of fun features from the game. Cause it ain't familiar!

But most of the time when developers have that kind of community focused approach the games do change quite significantly for the worse IMO. If the devs have enough time it still results in a financially successful game though. This time... this might not be the case but the jury is still out on that.
    jimmywolf
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    if TL3 was any good before, they would not needed to scrap it.

am sorry you were part of the minority that found it good, maybe even would been willing spend a few hundred on MTX if the let you and added enough loot boxes. the game was crap, sure good people worked hard but lot effort on sinking ship usually still sinks unless the foundation was good.

their plenty of good games lost to history from lack of support, poor financial dissension or not enough fans. if TL3 follows it won't be missed except by a minority, don't blame the majority for not wanting to support it and if it does defy the odds and finds a niche and become a success good for them.
    elveone

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    BlazerX said:
    WTF I still can't get a refund for this shitty game because I didn't know playing more than 2 hours negated a refund on Steam. What BS. Most of that time playing was having the game crash and dealing with bugs.
    Hey quit that,you have to jump on the bandwagon and just hate Epic....

This is exactly why we need way more competition in this field,so that customers are treated fair.
    It is not even 2 hours of gameplay,even if you try and login the counter starts,so if you run into problems trying to get it started you might run out your 2 hours not playing a single minute.

There is no way Steam will ever care about YOU because they are making a ton of profit off of every game 25%.Millions of dollars,so what really needs to happen is we would need a 50-75% exodus,quit buying from Steam and just maybe they wake up and care about BOTH you and the games they are selling.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

elveone said:

No, the guys at Echtra wanted to make something new, fresh and original and fans like you always got in their way. Then when they did everything you suggested suggested they do you, and I do mean exactly you because I remember you doing it, said "I don't like that" and started being bitchy about the game in general.

Sometimes Tyler seems stubborn but in time he has done absolutely everything people have wanted him to do. I do not agree with everything they've done during the development. Hell, I don't agree with most of what they've done because it was based on moronic feedback to begin with but it is kind of hard to blame the designer when he is desperately trying to please people who do not know shit about game design. And those people are demanding changes made to the game that would take far more time than the devs ever had so listening to them makes the situation more and more desperate. That's actually the reason for the pricing and the early access and the multitude of bugs and weird design decisions.

I mourn the death of Torchlight Frontiers because that would have been pretty amazing if it had stayed the course. But it died when the fans of the previous games decided they did not like a pretty barren alpha and blamed all of its problems on systems that had nothing to do with said problems forcing the developers to rework absolutely everything and remove a lot of fun features from the game. Cause it ain't familiar!

But most of the time when developers have that kind of community focused approach the games do change quite significantly for the worse IMO. If the devs have enough time it still results in a financially successful game though. This time... this might not be the case but the jury is still out on that.

That's funny because you weren't privy to my internal feedback.  None of which said ditch horizontal progression.  What it did say was that I didn't see it as being very interesting or replayable, but that if they were keeping it then they should figure out how to add a layer of vertical progression that made use of maxing out the various frontiers.

You are absolutely in the minority regarding how amazing Frontiers would have been if they stuck to their guns.  I don't care that Tyler was stubborn, I just care that he was absolutely wrong in so many aspects when it comes to designing a modern sequel to TL2.  Good designers don't get it so wrong at such a large scale.  My understanding was that he did great stuff with the D2 expansion, but that expansion didn't abandon the good things of D2.  It built on them.

When asked if they'll bring in any of the classes from the first two games his response was "Do people really want that?".  That made it pretty clear that their development was done in a vacuum that was devoid of a connection to the fans that would help spread the word on the game.  POE's success was largely due to how many content creators loved the goals they set and what was being done in game, in addition to being very communicative.  TLF got very little in terms of positive word of mouth and the core design philosophies of the game were a large part.

I never saw their strongly reactive development style as a positive though.  It's best if the big pieces are designed internally and they make minor course corrections over time.  But saying they didn't have enough time is disingenuous as the game would have simply launched much earlier if they stayed on the Frontiers track.  I don't think they would have added much more content than what will launch with TL3.

elveone

elveone said:

That's funny because you weren't privy to my internal feedback.  None of which said ditch horizontal progression.  What it did say was that I didn't see it as being very interesting or replayable, but that if they were keeping it then they should figure out how to add a layer of vertical progression that made use of maxing out the various frontiers.

You are absolutely in the minority regarding how amazing Frontiers would have been if they stuck to their guns.  I don't care that Tyler was stubborn, I just care that he was absolutely wrong in so many aspects when it comes to designing a modern sequel to TL2.  Good designers don't get it so wrong at such a large scale.  My understanding was that he did great stuff with the D2 expansion, but that expansion didn't abandon the good things of D2.  It built on them.

When asked if they'll bring in any of the classes from the first two games his response was "Do people really want that?".  That made it pretty clear that their development was done in a vacuum that was devoid of a connection to the fans that would help spread the word on the game.  POE's success was largely due to how many content creators loved the goals they set and what was being done in game, in addition to being very communicative.  TLF got very little in terms of positive word of mouth and the core design philosophies of the game were a large part.

I never saw their strongly reactive development style as a positive though.  It's best if the big pieces are designed internally and they make minor course corrections over time.  But saying they didn't have enough time is disingenuous as the game would have simply launched much earlier if they stayed on the Frontiers track.  I don't think they would have added much more content than what will launch with TL3.

I did see your public feedback multiple times and it was always about ditching the Frontiers system. But that is not the only thing I was referring to. You wanted levels, you wanted multiple revamps of the skill system, you wanted them to drop the multiplayer zones. They did all that and I saw you say "I quit" just after they released the version of the game that did everything you wanted. And "do people really want that" is a pretty good question. And yeah, I was in the minority when it comes to Frontiers and because of that we never got to see what would have happened if they have stuck to their core designs and not followed the bad player feedback that you gave. Tyler did not get so much of the design wrong - you did. Along with many others.
    edited August 2020
    elveone said:

elveone said:

I did see your public feedback multiple times and it was always about ditching the Frontiers system. But that is not the only thing I was referring to. You wanted levels, you wanted multiple revamps of the skill system, you wanted them to drop the multiplayer zones. They did all that and I saw you say "I quit" just after they released the version of the game that did everything you wanted. And "do people really want that" is a pretty good question. And yeah, I was in the minority when it comes to Frontiers and because of that we never got to see what would have happened if they have stuck to their core designs and not followed the bad player feedback that you gave. Tyler did not get so much of the design wrong - you did. Along with many others.

Yeah some of that is completely false as I never suggested them all.  I never said to get rid of public zones, just the pointless intermediate ones with only Forts.  And no they didn't come close to releasing all I wanted.  But I had given my feedback and quit around the time they announced the changes.  I did return when they added the last class and frankly wasn't happy at all.  I chose not to buy the game when it hit EA and I won't buy it until it at least has offline mode with mods.

There was nothing rewarding about horizontal progression and starting over in each zone.  What's weird is that you still sort of start over in each biome due to resists.  I guess they haven't figured out how to fix that. 

I was barely a blip in terms of player feedback. Even FOX was quite critical and pessimistic about the Frontiers design.  And I was far more reasonable than the true TL2 diehards and reddit posters.

The game wasn't and isn't fun.  and now they just want to polish it and push it out. 

Tyler deserves the criticism considering he endlessly championed the things people disliked the most.  And he even would say things that needed to be corrected in streams such as when Max said something along the lines of "we're making the game for them Tyler".

Maybe someone will make the kind of game you were excited for.  But most people that were excited for a TL2 sequel wanted something VERY different from TLF.  And frankly, I've never heard anyone besides you and Tyler say that horizontal progression in an ARPG was a great idea.

I'm happy to give you a target for all of your anger though.  While I don't understand why you loved the original game so much, I do sympathize with the fact that you lost a game you were interested in.
    Dude, I'm not angry at you - I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I actually prefer Torchlight to be an ARPG rather than an MMO. Can't say I liked their MMO idea because it didn't seem interesting enough but there seems to be people who genuinely enjoyed it.
    elveone
    Chamber of Chains
    elveone said:
    Dude, I'm not angry at you - I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy.

I'm not a hypocrite at all.  They haven't addressed most of the issues I and others told them.  You're acting like all we wanted was for them to abandon the frontiers and push the game out.  That's not at all what happened and you know it.  But I'm done with you after multiple lies.
    elveone