Now's a good time to clear the air. I wouldn't make a topic if it had only my opinion in mind.
"I don't hate the game", never have !!...... I'm sure I'm speaking for a lot of people.
Pantheon's reputation is diminishing since inception, so this topic is valid in many others opinions too.
Originally the news of Pantheon was taken as a HUGE event here and all over. It was a large announcement to both old schoolers and even haters. It had Brad Mcquad, EQ1, and Old School for a reputation for those that wanted it.
Because of the three reasons above people felt safe about the project. Even the Vanguard blunder was squashed and forgiven, Brad was forgiven too. People expected "professionalism". Visionary Realms was invented with the motto of not letting Triple A management stand in their way. mmorpg players loved this, finally a development team that had freedom to do as they pleased in an industry full of small childish gotty playground games.
Here's what were getting instead:
- Unclear timelines. 10% 30% 60% 90% done. Tell us ?????
- STILL in pre-alpha.
- Old out dated programming.
- Graphics above their skill level.
- Bad animation above their skill level.
- Refusal of using modern gaming templates.
- Audio pod-cast that focus on boring minor details only.
- Gameplay pod-cast that are amateur quality program files.
The Microsoft debates now fits !
After years, 10% done and not looking good. After re-management eventually released 60%..... Face it they don't know what their doing, BUT HAVE GREAT IDEAS ON PAPER.
- Scrap the entire project.
- Hire professional game/world designers.
- Oversee development to insure Old School theme.
- Don't let Visionary Realms programmers touch a computer. Story magic only.
Will we get a game ?
Yes 5 more years.
Will it be broken ?
Yes, as bad as Vanguard.