Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall Going Into Beta August 11

2»

Comments

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    I haven't followed this game in years... Is it still a "survival" game with a timed and finite world, not a MMORPG?
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:
    Game is packed with players right now. So good to be playing a new fresh mmo!  :)
    Packed though it may be, you aren't really "playing" the game until there are no more wipes, until then you are simply play testing.

The difference is important, at least to a progression focused player such as me, I don't game for funzies.

I been a backer for this game over a year and have play tested many builds. Crowfall has come a long way and now people are starting to join the game. I am not new to mmos. I know exactly what I am play testing;)
    Fixed that for you.

;)

How sad. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Mikeha said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:
    Game is packed with players right now. So good to be playing a new fresh mmo!  :)
    Packed though it may be, you aren't really "playing" the game until there are no more wipes, until then you are simply play testing.

The difference is important, at least to a progression focused player such as me, I don't game for funzies.

I been a backer for this game over a year and have play tested many builds. Crowfall has come a long way and now people are starting to join the game. I am not new to mmos. I know exactly what I am play testing;)
    Fixed that for you.

;)

How sad. 
    Just helping a fellow forum visitor get the semantics correct.

You can thank me later.

:D 

CryomatrixYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    goozmania said:
    I haven't followed this game in years... Is it still a "survival" game with a timed and finite world, not a MMORPG?

JamesGoblin
    goozmania said:
    Characters are persistent, world's not so much. Definitely an MMO, MMORPG, not as they have been traditionally defined.
    JamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I may try this when it launches =-) I kinda wanna watch people play it on Twitch first.
    Catibrie
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

Yeah but the play testers will have a huge advantage over the noobs when the game does launch. They know how to build their character, where to go to get money, etc etc etc
    MikehaKyleranJamesGoblin
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

Yeah but the play testers will have a huge advantage over the noobs when the game does launch. They know how to build their character, where to go to get money, etc etc etc
    Yes, that's always been the case in every MMORPG, I guess the "up" side is players can pay for the advantage instead of it being more of a luck of the draw as in the early days.

Just like in real life, he who has the most gold usually wins.

;)
    JamesGoblin

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited August 2020
    Well props to them for opening it up for beta.  Will it be under NDA?  

I'm sure this is not prelaunch beta, more like an advanced alpha, but would love to hear how it goes.  I'm signing up, but doubt I'll get in.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

I'm sure this is not prelaunch beta, more like an advanced alpha, but would love to hear how it goes.  I'm signing up, but doubt I'll get in.
    The goal is to get everybody in who signs up, so definitely do so if you want to check it out. There is no NDA and it is more Beta ready then most of the projects being called so.

This is very much the real deal, whether it is someone’s cup of tea and/or a good game depends on who you ask.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Slapshot1188KyleranYashaX[Deleted User]JamesGoblin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Just another zerg fest game. Whats fun in that ?
    So what kind of PvP do you like in MMOs? 1 v (unsuspecting)1? 10 v 1? The 15 minute scenarios imported from FPS games?

What you call a zerg fest is what MMO PvP is all about. I guess you don't like MMO PvP.
    [Deleted User]KyleranYashaXJamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

Yes, that's always been the case in every MMORPG, I guess the "up" side is players can pay for the advantage instead of it being more of a luck of the draw as in the early days.

;)
    There really isn't any "pay for advantage" stuff in Crowfall.  The castles and stuff you could buy are only for your private housing area so really don't have much of an effect on the game.  I guess there is some kind of statue that you can put down in it to get something like a 1% buff to a specific skill but that's almost insignificant.   

I am waiting to see what they do with the optional sub (VIP).  Originally it was supposed to give you access to train multiple skill lines at once (offline training) but that was removed as a VIP perk because people argued it was P2W. 

Folks have (finally) started to post some real guides on the forums so even if you are just starting out I think you can get a good idea for most of the "meta" character build.   If you get into the Beta (and anyone who applies will get in) and play for a week or two I think you can get 90% of the game down.   Maybe some crafting would take more in depth learning but that's about it. 

The PvP guilds will all be on one or more Dregs (FFA PvP) servers.  I plan to start on a faction based campaign.  Not sure if the 12 way ones will be in at launch but I know the 3 way ones will be.

YashaX[Deleted User]JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    lahnmir said:

The goal is to get everybody in who signs up, so definitely do so if you want to check it out. There is no NDA and it is more Beta ready then most of the projects being called so.

This is very much the real deal, whether it is someone’s cup of tea and/or a good game depends on who you ask.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Awesome, thanks.  I became a mmorpg.com member back in 2008, but lost my log info (just been reading the forums)  so now I only have a few post count.

From mobile, how do I give those reactions to people's posts? (Smile, heart, etc.)  Maybe it's not enabled because this account is too new. 
    JamesGoblin
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

As we know from innumerable Star Citizen posts, that is enough to make it completely worthwhile. At any price!

Crowfall got my money though.
    MikehaKyleranJamesGoblin

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Looks awful. Neeeext!
    JamesGoblin
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

;)
    There really isn't any "pay for advantage" stuff in Crowfall.  The castles and stuff you could buy are only for your private housing area so really don't have much of an effect on the game.  I guess there is some kind of statue that you can put down in it to get something like a 1% buff to a specific skill but that's almost insignificant.   

I am waiting to see what they do with the optional sub (VIP).  Originally it was supposed to give you access to train multiple skill lines at once (offline training) but that was removed as a VIP perk because people argued it was P2W. 

Folks have (finally) started to post some real guides on the forums so even if you are just starting out I think you can get a good idea for most of the "meta" character build.   If you get into the Beta (and anyone who applies will get in) and play for a week or two I think you can get 90% of the game down.   Maybe some crafting would take more in depth learning but that's about it. 

The PvP guilds will all be on one or more Dregs (FFA PvP) servers.  I plan to start on a faction based campaign.  Not sure if the 12 way ones will be in at launch but I know the 3 way ones will be.

Well, I was referring more to the two or more years head start people willing to shell out the $175 or whatever to gain early access.

They will naturally start launch with a headstart, been true forever.
    JamesGoblin

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

;)

Well, I was referring more to the two or more years head start people willing to shell out the $175 or whatever to gain early access.

They will naturally start launch with a headstart, been true forever.
    Anyone who had even a basic account has had access for years.  As I said, there’s really not much of an advantage that anyone who played for a few weeks in the free beta couldn’t match.  
    JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

YAH.. because when I sit down to game, I nail my ass to the chair so I can't even take bathroom breaks! 

In all seriousness tho, the fact they had a active fully playable alpha, got $200 out of me to back the game, even if I only played , umm play-tested, fucked around in game sporadically. 
    KyleranJamesGoblin
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

YAH.. because when I sit down to game, I nail my ass to the chair so I can't even take bathroom breaks! 

In all seriousness tho, the fact they had a active fully playable alpha, got $200 out of me to back the game, even if I only played , umm play-tested, fucked around in game sporadically. 
    Wait... you take bathroom breaks while gaming? Casual.

;)

Ungood[Deleted User]JamesGoblin

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

Wait... you take bathroom breaks while gaming? Casual.

;)

I know right.. I am such a weak sauce filthy casual player.. I even stop to eat and drink on occasion. 
    KyleranJamesGoblin
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ASpartanASpartan Member UncommonPosts: 44
    If anyone has an older account and is planning on quitting or maybe a second or third account, please do me a favor and send me the free account rewards. I signed up back in the beginning with an email I dont have anymore so I had to start a new account and missed out on some nifty little goodies!

I have Steams points I will trade for the items so there is something going back on your side.