Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want a no frills EVERQUEST 1

2»

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    A lot of people want Old School... until they actually get it.
    Morgenes83
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Dibdabs said:
    Not sure I agree with you. Just look at games like EQ1 that still getting expansions. Project 1999 is going strong and there any many examples of this. Funny thing is, I have played EQ1 and project 1999 on and off for a very long time and its not just old school players. I have played with teenagers, kids, people in their 20s.

Twitch combat is a play style that has run rampant and IMO one of the reasons so many games are failing. MMOs by nature have people playing long play sessions. Twitch combat (modern MMOs) start to get tiresome and combat seems to be more about the dodge button then using skills. 
    dragonlee66cameltosisCatibrie
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dibdabs said:
    Not sure I agree with you. Just look at games like EQ1 that still getting expansions. Project 1999 is going strong and there any many examples of this. Funny thing is, I have played EQ1 and project 1999 on and off for a very long time and its not just old school players. I have played with teenagers, kids, people in their 20s.

Twitch combat is a play style that has run rampant and IMO one of the reasons so many games are failing. MMOs by nature have people playing long play sessions. Twitch combat (modern MMOs) start to get tiresome and combat seems to be more about the dodge button then using skills. 

I don't completely agree with you here, @Nanfoodle.  People claim they want Old School experience until they get it.  EQ1 and P99 are no longer Old School experiences.  Everything is known; there's nothing to discover, either about the game,  the class/game mechanics, or online gaming.

Pantheon isn't going to be a new game offering Old School feelings to those wanting it.  There will be a ZAM Pantheon (or equivalent) site on launch day spoiling everything possible from the alpha, beta and other test scenarios.  The promised mechanics aren't going to deviate from what EQ1 did.  The interface won't be drastically different for earlier games; it will be built on familiar concepts.  It won't surprise anyone that the other character in the game is actually another person.  The novelty of a large part of what made the Old School feeling isn't coming back.

People think they want an Old School feeling, harsh and unforgiving.  You can look on this site to follow the furor over the announcement of the proposed death penalty in Pantheon.  No, I can't say people want it, at least not all.  There's a small cadre, yes, that want the game to be brutal.  Must there's an equal number of those wanting the softest possible game.  It's a varied spectrum.

What exactly will Pantheon be?  I don't know.  It won't be an Old School game, despite its intentions, because the culture of online gaming is no longer a new thing.  It won't really be advancing the state of MMORPG gaming, as it isn't trying anything really different.  So, it won't be a Gen 1 game because the audience has changed, and it won't be a Gen 3 game because it isn't providing a new experience.  It's going to be just another Gen 2 game.  I'll probably end up calling it a WoW clone with an attitude, or what EQ2 should have been.

(I'd totally agree with your comments about Twitch combat, though.  So, it's not a complete loss.)

DibdabsNyghthowler[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dibdabs said:

I don't completely agree with you here, @Nanfoodle.  People claim they want Old School experience until they get it.  EQ1 and P99 are no longer Old School experiences.  Everything is known; there's nothing to discover, either about the game,  the class/game mechanics, or online gaming.

Pantheon isn't going to be a new game offering Old School feelings to those wanting it.  There will be a ZAM Pantheon (or equivalent) site on launch day spoiling everything possible from the alpha, beta and other test scenarios.  The promised mechanics aren't going to deviate from what EQ1 did.  The interface won't be drastically different for earlier games; it will be built on familiar concepts.  It won't surprise anyone that the other character in the game is actually another person.  The novelty of a large part of what made the Old School feeling isn't coming back.

People think they want an Old School feeling, harsh and unforgiving.  You can look on this site to follow the furor over the announcement of the proposed death penalty in Pantheon.  No, I can't say people want it, at least not all.  There's a small cadre, yes, that want the game to be brutal.  Must there's an equal number of those wanting the softest possible game.  It's a varied spectrum.

What exactly will Pantheon be?  I don't know.  It won't be an Old School game, despite its intentions, because the culture of online gaming is no longer a new thing.  It won't really be advancing the state of MMORPG gaming, as it isn't trying anything really different.  So, it won't be a Gen 1 game because the audience has changed, and it won't be a Gen 3 game because it isn't providing a new experience.  It's going to be just another Gen 2 game.  I'll probably end up calling it a WoW clone with an attitude, or what EQ2 should have been.

(I'd totally agree with your comments about Twitch combat, though.  So, it's not a complete loss.)

Few people being upset with death penalties on an open forum is not the same as going to Pantheons forums, where fans has been asking for what was given. As for old school because everything is known. Thats up to the person playing. How do you know people playing today play any game without looking at ingame maps? Or online web tools? Sure there will one ones for Pantheon but it does not mean everyone will use them and these tools were up not long after EQ1 launch in 1999.

Also old school does not mean harsh and unforgiving to me. What is old school to me, is not what old school is to you. For me its class interdependence that forces people to make communities to be able to get content done. Having to understand class synergies so you have to change play style depending on who is in the team.  Over most MMOs where any class can fill any hole in a team because everyone has the same tools. Myself and many people have been asking for an old school game for a long time. Dont think thats true. We will see when Pantheon launches. Till then, its a unknown. 
    Catibrie
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dibdabs said:

Expansions took away the Old School.  I mean REAL Old School Everquest, which I played for years back in the day.  No ingame maps, no sparkly trails showing where to go.  Corpse runs so dangerous that you ended up dying time after time simply to find the initial corpse to get your stuff back.  No mounts, no easy travelling around so you had to run (or sail) across two or three zones, dodging mobs, just to get to a new town unless, of course, a helpful Druid or Wizard helped you out.  No Planes of Power transport hub, no Auction house.  Having to sit and Med to get mana back which initially involved staring at your spellbook for some obscure reason.  :D  Nope, bring that back and it will sink like a stone with today's "supereasy-mode" players.
    Dibdabs said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dibdabs said:

Expansions took away the Old School.  I mean REAL Old School Everquest, which I played for years back in the day.  No ingame maps, no sparkly trails showing where to go.  Corpse runs so dangerous that you ended up dying time after time simply to find the initial corpse to get your stuff back.  No mounts, no easy travelling around so you had to run (or sail) across two or three zones, dodging mobs, just to get to a new town unless, of course, a helpful Druid or Wizard helped you out.  No Planes of Power transport hub, no Auction house.  Having to sit and Med to get mana back which initially involved staring at your spellbook for some obscure reason.  :D  Nope, bring that back and it will sink like a stone with today's "supereasy-mode" players.
    As I said in my post you quoted, old school means some different for each person. Myself, I dont consider needing to spend 20 min on a boat ride to be old school. Sometimes taking 30 min + of travel to find out all camps are full and 15 people waiting to find a camp spot, thats not old school to me. I think Pantheon seems to be hitting the things I want to see return, with many modern systems to boot. If thats not old school enough for you, P1999 still has everything you mentioned you like. Lots still playing it old old school.
    Catibrie
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited August 2020
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dibdabs said:

I do agree with you that games these days have too much information online and everything is marked and shown exactly. Nothing much can be done except it is a personal choice and one a player makes on whether to check the maps and quest guides.

Some people like me are slightly afraid of losing time in games by making mistakes. For instance take the Atelier games which require in some cases very strict time restrictions and certain events to be unlocked or you may miss out an ending out of the 13 or so and get one you don't like and have to go back and replay from an earlier save. I do check guides on Atelier games. I enjoy the crafting so much and I am a tad upset that some of them will make me lose too much time if I indulge in the crafting and I end up failing the game. I am also old and I don't want to spend too much time replaying something when I could be playing another game in the series. I grow attached to the characters and I want to see how their relationships play out.

You might say I'm cheating but that is a personal choice I made as I enjoy these games very much and I watch all the scenes and try to interact with every character as much as possible. It isn't true that I am diminishing my enjoyment because I am so OCD about losing important relationships or scenes in the game. It would upset me far more if I lose the game without playing to the fullest I can manage. Some of the Atelier games are meant to be carried forward with improvement in stats and equipment and you replay a new game but I don't like doing that. I prefer to play another game and may be a year or two later replay the one I just finished. I seldom go back and replay a game these days though because there is simply so little time. So that is merely a wish and not a goal.

You might ask what does this have anything to do with old school and Everquest. 

What I'm trying to explain is that old school is a game that provides mechanics that mimic it , like P99. Even if you may know a lot more now since you have played it does not mean the game is not capable of providing you with an old school experience.

No one can go back and rewind time and make us less aware or jaded, that moment has passed but that does not mean you cannot enjoy an old school feel. That is what some of us want and we are hoping Pantheon can provide it. It is entirely possible that it won't provide it but I feel that the only new game right now capable of coming close is Pantheon.

Plus I do enjoy talking about Atelier games wherever possible.

Dibdabs said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dibdabs said:

You could be right but that also depends on what type of player base the developers are going to be happy with. Will 200k players suffice? If they are happy with a modest number you might get that numbers willing to pay and play.

Also P99 provides that experience if you want it of old Everquest i.e. without the expansions.
    NanfoodlekitaradCatibrie
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MMORPG's died when Blizzard turned them into end games rather than an enjoyable experience.
    Now mmorpg's are a race to end game and nothing else matters.You might as well toss away the entire world and just load up a few instances and call the new mmorpg genre a CO-OP rpg.
    Now players hit max level in this genre within a week or two,no adventure,no exploration just vee line to max level as fast as possible.

Rehashing the same games back to level 1 is NOT the answer either,not even remotely a good idea.We need a NEW game created by someone with half a clue,someone that can create a plausibly real universe.

LESS quests,a quest should be something epic and NOT a treadmill.LESS NPC's they should interact and move about like a real person,maybe one day they are there and next day they are in a different city.Maybe you see that NPC wandering along the path to next city or a path to somewhere else.

This genre is so dead in the water it is not funny,.asking for old school is pathetic,it is like asking for vanilla ice cream without the vanilla flavoring.

Dibdabs

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Wizardry said:

This genre is so dead in the water it is not funny,.asking for old school is pathetic,it is like asking for vanilla ice cream without the vanilla flavoring.

There are giant swaths of people who enjoy "old" (or young depending on how you want to see it) things from Literature to movies (I'm talking '20's/30's not 80's as one young person explained to me) to music to "most everything else."

All these things have very specific attributes/qualities different from more recent offerings.

Just because you want the next big thing doesn't mean that everyone else needs to jump on that bandwagon.
    NanfoodleCatibrie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Wizardry said:

There are giant swaths of people who enjoy "old" (or young depending on how you want to see it) things from Literature to movies (I'm talking '20's/30's not 80's as one young person explained to me) to music to "most everything else."

All these things have very specific attributes/qualities different from more recent offerings.

Just because you want the next big thing doesn't mean that everyone else needs to jump on that bandwagon.
    I cant count the number of friends I have who have been playing nothing but retro console games for as long as I have known them. Few of my friends still have Contra game sessions on the same game they were playing in the 80's lol
    SovrathCatibrie
    edited August 2020
    cheyane said:
     P99 provides that experience if you want it of old Everquest i.e. without the expansions.
    I have no rose-tinted spectacles about old games.  I fired up Everquest several years back, after not having played it for about 6 years - I loved EQ and spent a loooong time playing it.  I wish I hadn't.  I could have kept my fond memories alive.  :D  It felt clunky, uninspiring and sadly it was a big disappointment to me.  Time had moved on and EQ hadn't aged well, at least for me.
    Dibdabs said:
    cheyane said:
     P99 provides that experience if you want it of old Everquest i.e. without the expansions.
    I have no rose-tinted spectacles about old games.  I fired up Everquest several years back, after not having played it for about 6 years - I loved EQ and spent a loooong time playing it.  I wish I hadn't.  I could have kept my fond memories alive.  :D  It felt clunky, uninspiring and sadly it was a big disappointment to me.  Time had moved on and EQ hadn't aged well, at least for me.
    There seems to be this assumption that anyone liking a game from "way back when" has rose colored glasses.

Oh sure, I bet there are people like that. But it would be ridiculous to say everyone is like that.

Some people take these games for what they are. Not for what they used to make you feel.

Last night I played Vampire the Masquerade and Lord of the Rings online. Two old games.

After tonight's modding session I'll play one or both again. No rose colored glasses, just enjoying myself.

You are correct, these games do feel clunky. But they are also very refreshing as they haven't yet fallen into the slickness that today's games have acquired. That's not a bad thing but it's just "different."
    NanfoodleKyleranSensaiCatibrie

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    When I started playing MMORPGs back in 98 I dreamed of one day having a living fantasy world which is huge, has a lot to explore, riddles to solve, GM driven events, politics, drama, people who achive something which is really rare.
    But insteaf we got anonymous mega server, instanced areas, less rpg, less variance, repeating standard events and everyone wants to be able to achive/get everything with low effort.

Last game which nearly came close to this was Vanguard, after that....
    FF14, ESO and GW2 are all close to it but each one is missing more or less the part where it is one living world but anonymous instanced areas instead.
    Archeage was about to become nearly perfect but it moved into a bad direction of power creep and daily questing instead of keeping and improving its initial sandbox idea. 
    BDO has the world of my dreams and the item system of my nightmares.

I do not have high hopes for New World and Camelot Unchained because of reasons.
    Crowfall looks awful and also kills the fantasy world idea completely.
    So the last ones left which may be the "ones" are Phanteon, Saga of Lucimia and AoC from which AoC looks most promising in my opinion.
    Mendel

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

When I started playing MMORPGs back in 98 I dreamed of one day having a living fantasy world which is huge, has a lot to explore, riddles to solve, GM driven events, politics, drama, people who achive something which is really rare.
    But insteaf we got anonymous mega server, instanced areas, less rpg, less variance, repeating standard events and everyone wants to be able to achive/get everything with low effort.

Last game which nearly came close to this was Vanguard, after that....
    FF14, ESO and GW2 are all close to it but each one is missing more or less the part where it is one living world but anonymous instanced areas instead.
    Archeage was about to become nearly perfect but it moved into a bad direction of power creep and daily questing instead of keeping and improving its initial sandbox idea. 
    BDO has the world of my dreams and the item system of my nightmares.

I do not have high hopes for New World and Camelot Unchained because of reasons.
    Crowfall looks awful and also kills the fantasy world idea completely.
    So the last ones left which may be the "ones" are Phanteon, Saga of Lucimia and AoC from which AoC looks most promising in my opinion.
    Ya for me its Pantheon or Ashes. I guessing you meant Ashes not Age of Conan? I have some concerns with both games but like you, they seem like the most promising thing in development. There is a few other MMOs in the works that have no info on them yet, so hold hope. Maybe something will surprise us lol. 
    delete5230Catibrie
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited August 2020
    Utinni said:
    I will never understand the people who want a purely "Time = Power" game play loop.
    Generally preferred by gamers with more playing time than most others.

It's probably a bad design habit left over from the early days of MMORPGS which likely has harmed the genre in the long run, but there's still a solid market for it.
    Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Mendel said:
    Well I'l play it....... I could use 5 other friends, that's all I need.

:o 

Be prepared to for the 6 of you to pay about $3,500,000 each to cover the costs of development.

I dont' think he'll play a 15 million $ buddget game.

Most likely he mean he want a high quality MMO with old school playstyle.
    Sovrath said:
    Dibdabs said:
    cheyane said:
    There seems to be this assumption that anyone liking a game from "way back when" has rose colored glasses.

I didn't say "anyone", I referred to ME.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Dibdabs said:

I logged in to EQ1 today just for the heck of it...They now have 23 servers (9 of which are P2P only), so it seems like old school is still doing pretty well considering the game is 21 years old.
    [Deleted User]
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2020
    i used to argue with someone in the eq1 forums. it was the classic everquest thread that went on for a couple hundred pages if i remember right--circa 2007-09. his name was codezero. he had his way of thinking and i had mine. even when people agree on a topic, they disagree on specifics, but usually they compromise for a greater good. if they disagree on a topic, they argue in a neverending manner with no compromise. that's what happened with me and codezero. he believed classic everquest should and would never happen because nobody really wanted it. that of course turns out to be untrue when project1999 is released. and yes i played that in late 2009 and into 2010 and later. i don't have codezero here to argue with me, but he/she might take the argument further and suggest nobody would PAY for it. but i can put that argument to bed because i played Wurm Online in 2012 and it's like a blend of EQ and UO from 1999--with all those old game mechanics, like corpse runs and autocombat and death penalty and slow travel and no -ingame map and so on (Wurm Online has changed since then, but I played it for years like that). I PAID for it and loved it. If codezero could be resurrect i'm certain he/she would argue further, always ever evolving the argument in his or her favor. at the end of teh day, when all is said and done, I'm too buys playing what I actually enjoy and i'm just too old to argue unending. that's what i recommend to all you. just accept we're diffferent and play what you like, no matter what anybody else says. don't let them define you. don't let ME define you either.

these kinds of mmropgs do put extra strain on you in varying ways. i tihnk this is the major feason the mmorpg industry has moved twards solo and casual features. the modern mmo's are much easier to fit into your life.

project1999and Wurm Online were like this:

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    "he/she might take the argument further and suggest nobody would PAY for it."

In 99-2000 there was no other option...You either paid or you didn't play.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2020
    "Ummm no,the last one built like that was FFXi 2002.Not only was FFXI very similar it surpassed EQ1 in EVERY single way."

and I thought FFXI was one of the worst games I ever played....The graphics were blurry, the starting town I was in took forever to get out of, and the community was flat out brutal to new players. I dunno I guess different strokes for different folks.

Yup. We're each different. Don't let others (or me) define yo.

Even new school games appeal to certain people, not just because they're eaiser to fit into your life.

Best thing you can do is leave hte arguing behind, no mater how tempting it's sometimes to get a thrill from it, and just play what you want. Just be. You.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Dibdabs said:

I logged in to EQ1 today just for the heck of it...They now have 23 servers (9 of which are P2P only), so it seems like old school is still doing pretty well considering the game is 21 years old.

23 servers, true.  On each server there's a chat channel named General that each character auto-joins (by default).  There is a limit of 400 before the chat channel spawns an General1 (overflow) channel.  On most days, logging in puts me in the General channel if I log in before 13:00 EST, and I'm likely to get put into the General1 channel after.

Some quick estimation of population counts.  It's pretty reasonable to suggest that the total population is around 400-500 per server (and that includes dedicated Bazaar accounts).  This brings the total count of characters in EQ1 somewhere between 9,200 and 11,200 concurrent characters.  These numbers are low estimates based on observable in-game data; EQ1 may have characters on 25,000 accounts active in a given week.  How many of these are F2P and how many subscribe through All Access is anyone's guess.

Just because they operate a lot of servers, doesn't mean they have a lot of paying customers.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

i don't have codezero here to argue with me, but he/she might take the argument further and suggest nobody would PAY for it. 

The problem is, people like that only ever see things from their perspective. If it doesn't fit in their little world it can't be.

Having lived a bit I certainly know that people can and will do most anything that I might see as interesting or worth it or possible.

Dibdabs said:
    Sovrath said:
    Dibdabs said:
    cheyane said:

I didn't say "anyone", I referred to ME.
    Thanks for clarifying. It seemed you were saying that while you didn't have rose colored glasses other might. But appreciate the clarity.