Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laser vs Optical Mouse

GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
Yes, continuing from where I stopped in my now nuked thread, I noticed that Drakonia 1 is a LASER mouse while its successor, Drakonia 2 is an OPTICAL mouse. Could that explain my lack of enthusiasm towards latter and how it sometimes "dances" in a position?
«13

Comments

  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
    You can suggest me a new mouse, just keep in mind the shape of the mouse, I rather like Drakonia's shape. D1 was just awesome(especially for its price), this D2 is...idk. Might be a faulty model or something? Regardless, am not inspired by it at all. It's too sensitive imo, I hate sensitive...anything really.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,381
    edited August 2020
    I don't remember what was in your nuked thread, but:

    Laser mice can be better than optical mice on some surfaces, especially if the surface is really reflective or if it's transparent. If you had a laser mouse that was working fine, and now have trouble with optical mouse, try testing if mouse pad or something similar would fix the problem.

    Also if you feel that the mouse is too sensitive, then tone down the DPI setting and/or pointer speed to make it move slower.
    Post edited by Vrika on
    [Deleted User]
     
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,341
    Laser is optical. But not all opticals use a laser.
    botrytis
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
    edited August 2020
    Vrika said:
    I don't remember what was in your nuked thread, but:

    Laser mice can be better than optical mice on some surfaces, especially if the surface is really reflective or if it's transparent. If you had a laser mouse that was working fine, and now have trouble with optical mouse, try testing if mouse pad or something similar would fix the problem.

    Also if you feel that the mouse is too sensitive, then tone down the DPI setting and/or pointer speed to make it move slower.

    There seems to be a point / time where it just goes kinda crazy and it's somewhat erratic. Might be the pad, my previous one was Laser, this one is Optical, maybe that explains the difference in behavior. Or I might have a slightly defective mouse, that's an option too. Disregard my dislike for the entire device family.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
    Concerning Mice, I only have one thing to say.
    Logitech G502.
    It's been years, and I never needed anything else.
    Hm, perhaps I should try buying another Kanga pad first. Then go from there. I'd like to repair my old mouse, I never had troubles with it(except that it broke down - doubleclicks etc after several years).

    That G502 looks very interesting. Tbh, I don't want to purchase a mouse right now, I'd like to make the most out of what I have.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 18,743
    Razer Death Adder and Naga, nuff said.
    Ridelynn
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,444
    Scot said:
    Razer Death Adder and Naga, nuff said.
    I had a Razer mouse once.  It worked fine if you put it on a flawless surface, but tracked so badly on anything else as to make me wonder if it was defective.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 18,743
    edited August 2020
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:
    Razer Death Adder and Naga, nuff said.
    I had a Razer mouse once.  It worked fine if you put it on a flawless surface, but tracked so badly on anything else as to make me wonder if it was defective.
    Here is something they did not talk about, the surface you put your mouse on really matters. A mouse mat is must.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
    Scot said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:
    Razer Death Adder and Naga, nuff said.
    I had a Razer mouse once.  It worked fine if you put it on a flawless surface, but tracked so badly on anything else as to make me wonder if it was defective.
    Here is something they did not talk about, the surface you put your mouse on really matters. A mouse mat is must.
    But I did. Roccat Kanga, look it up.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 18,743
    edited August 2020
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:
    Razer Death Adder and Naga, nuff said.
    I had a Razer mouse once.  It worked fine if you put it on a flawless surface, but tracked so badly on anything else as to make me wonder if it was defective.
    Here is something they did not talk about, the surface you put your mouse on really matters. A mouse mat is must.
    But I did. Roccat Kanga, look it up.
    I missed that. That is not a hard mouse mat and it is made of fibre? You need a hard mouse mat with a smooth and textured side. Mouse needs to be laser, cover mouse and keyboard overnight, check mouse and mat every day for dust. This may not help, it is just what I do and works for me.
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,143
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:
    Razer Death Adder and Naga, nuff said.
    I had a Razer mouse once.  It worked fine if you put it on a flawless surface, but tracked so badly on anything else as to make me wonder if it was defective.
    Here is something they did not talk about, the surface you put your mouse on really matters. A mouse mat is must.
    But I did. Roccat Kanga, look it up.
    I missed that. That is not a hard mouse mat and it is made of fibre? You need a hard mouse mat with a smooth and textured side. Mouse needs to be laser, cover mouse and keyboard overnight, check mouse and mat every day for dust. This may not help, it is just what I do and works for me.

    I have my PC hooked to my TV across the living room and use my G600 on my recliner armrest, never have any issues.
    Asm0deus
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.


  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Concerning Mice, I only have one thing to say.
    Logitech G502.
    It's been years, and I never needed anything else.
    I'm currently using a G502 and it's very good mouse. I will say tough, that I miss the big side buttons of the razer deathadder.
    [Deleted User]

  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,273
    Concerning Mice, I only have one thing to say.
    Logitech G502.
    It's been years, and I never needed anything else.
    I still use this and I have never considered another mouse. Still the best mouse on the market.
    [Deleted User]

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    For most games I prefer the basic G302. Simple, enough buttons, solid mouse. 
    For games that require more buttons to program, you cant go wrong with G502. Programming / Macros that come with it work great, the mouse has never failed me. 

    Also Ive used the Razer Naga Hex and it is a good mouse, just a bit small for large hands. 
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,444
    Scot said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:
    Razer Death Adder and Naga, nuff said.
    I had a Razer mouse once.  It worked fine if you put it on a flawless surface, but tracked so badly on anything else as to make me wonder if it was defective.
    Here is something they did not talk about, the surface you put your mouse on really matters. A mouse mat is must.
    Then why did every other mouse I tried track fine on the same surface that the Razer one couldn't handle?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 18,743
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:
    Razer Death Adder and Naga, nuff said.
    I had a Razer mouse once.  It worked fine if you put it on a flawless surface, but tracked so badly on anything else as to make me wonder if it was defective.
    Here is something they did not talk about, the surface you put your mouse on really matters. A mouse mat is must.
    Then why did every other mouse I tried track fine on the same surface that the Razer one couldn't handle?
    Dodgy mouse or software settings? I am using a DA now with textured surface but flipped the mat and it seemed fine on the ultra smooth. But and I am stretching here, many years ago I decided to use the textured surface, I may have been not 100% happy with the DA on it.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,390
    If you like the Draconia, and are now using an optical mouse. I highly suggest a hard surfaced mouse pad like a Steel Series IceMat or an inWin Rocker Mat. Hard mouse pads should track better and are way easier to clean. I have been using a hard mouse pad for over a decade, and wouldn't use anything else now.
    RidelynnGorwe
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,171
    Is there a reason you don't just get another Drakonia 1 mouse?  

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
    Cleffy said:
    If you like the Draconia, and are now using an optical mouse. I highly suggest a hard surfaced mouse pad like a Steel Series IceMat or an inWin Rocker Mat. Hard mouse pads should track better and are way easier to clean. I have been using a hard mouse pad for over a decade, and wouldn't use anything else now.
    Because I know sod all about mouse pads. If you ask me, I'd just put a mouse on a desk, that's how much Ork-y I am.

    The point is that I didn't even know that they switched to the Optical side. Drakonia 1 was Laser, 2 is Optical lol. I'll first see about gaming mats, what's best for Opticals?
    Is there a reason you don't just get another Drakonia 1 mouse?  
    Because they don't offer it anymore over the counter where I live. You think I'd just abandon a thing that works just because something's "new"? Yeah, right, not likely. Not that kind of person and proud of it!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,647
    Gorwe said:

    Is there a reason you don't just get another Drakonia 1 mouse?  
    Because they don't offer it anymore over the counter where I live. You think I'd just abandon a thing that works just because something's "new"? Yeah, right, not likely. Not that kind of person and proud of it!

    It's on UK Amazon for cheap if this is the mouse you are talking about ...


    damn that's long.

    Can't you buy it and just ship it to your country? I constantly buy stuff from UK Amazon and ship it to the US.

    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

    Is there a reason you don't just get another Drakonia 1 mouse?  
    Because they don't offer it anymore over the counter where I live. You think I'd just abandon a thing that works just because something's "new"? Yeah, right, not likely. Not that kind of person and proud of it!

    It's on UK Amazon for cheap if this is the mouse you are talking about ...


    damn that's long.

    Can't you buy it and just ship it to your country? I constantly buy stuff from UK Amazon and ship it to the US.

    I didn't want to wait. It's as simple as that.

    Now, what was that about the pad type?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,390
    Hard mouse pads track better and are easier to clean. Something aluminum or frosted glass. The glass will have issues with laser mice, but should work well with optical mice.
    ScotGorwe
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
    Cleffy said:
    Hard mouse pads track better and are easier to clean. Something aluminum or frosted glass. The glass will have issues with laser mice, but should work well with optical mice.
    Got an example?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,390
    SteelSeries IceMat, inWin RockerMat
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 719
    edited August 2020
    Cleffy said:
    SteelSeries IceMat, inWin RockerMat
    Unfortunately, it'd seem that IceMat is discontinued and there aren't that many(if any!) hard mouse pads where I live. Maybe I could get QcK Hard, how's that?

    I noticed that there is a specific spot on my pad where the mouse goes mildly crazy. But I don't see anything. It also has these issues with left-right(horizontal) movement, vertical movement is fine. Could that be important?
Sign In or Register to comment.