Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon - What You Need to Know from July 30ths State of the Game

124»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Brainy said:

It's like walking on a balance beam 12" off the ground. Versus walking across a tight rope between the top of two skyscrapers. You don't do it because you enjoy falling off of buildings. It's the success through difficult odds that's thrilling. You can't get that thrill w/o the risk.

And yet, I suspect you dont do much tight rope walking between skyscrapers?  The death penalty discourages you from having fun, imagine that.
    Different type of activity but Ha ha.

I'll also mention (per the comment above) that any death penalty can be argued as "a waste of time."

If I lose xp then it's a waste of the time it took to make that xp
    If items break (let's say permanently) then it's a waste of time because now you have to take time to get them back. I know in Tera Crystals break on death and they can get expensive.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Brainy said:
    Sovrath said:
    Brainy said:
    This idea that corpse runs are so enjoyable is hogwash.  You dont need the game to force you to do this,  you could run back to the place you died in pretty much any MMO if you wanted too.  

You are not getting it. 

No one is saying death penalties are enjoyable. You don't die, lose your stuff and go "oh joy!"

It's about understanding the rules for winning and losing and having both inspire you to play well, to succeed. It's also about equal playing field and everyone experiencing the same level of success/failure.

No one in any of the souls games is joyful for dropping all their souls and then running back to the boss battle.

Admittedly, there can be a certain fun (for me) in sneaking back without getting killed again but I do like stealth games so that always enjoyable.

If you don't play more "hardcore" games then you probably aren't the demographic for harsher death penalties.

No I think you missed it,  I didn't say I state I was against death penalties, you keep painting me in a broad brush of death penalties, I am saying specifically corpse runs and other mechanics that nobody would voluntarily do because its a waste of time.

Im fine with harder games, im more than fine actually, I advocate them.  I like in ESO when dungeons are first released that are very difficult to beat in the hardest mode.  I dont like that they keep nerfing the game.

What I dont like, is when I play, and forced to waste countless hours doing tedious things.
    Think you are missing what Pantheon is. Every area of the game is designed to bring people together and create social networks. Some classes have tools for corpse recovery, Rogues, Necros and maybe Bards. This brings value to classes and makes a community. Everything in this game is designed this way. You will not find the mentality you see in games like WoW or ESO, where you blast through a dungeon at breakneck speeds. This will be a slower game. Games like WoW have an A.D.D. mentality to the game, along with their death mechanic. People like me, have been screaming and begging for a game like Pantheon since EQ2 came out and was a flop of a game compared to EQ1. You dont want that type of game, move on. Or embrace a community that will support one another.  
    [Deleted User]Sovrathachesomakitarad[Deleted User]WellspringCatibrie
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Well if they have a state of the game at this point, then I really don't need to know much more.....
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Nanfoodle said:
    Brainy said:
    Sovrath said:
    Brainy said:
    This idea that corpse runs are so enjoyable is hogwash.  You dont need the game to force you to do this,  you could run back to the place you died in pretty much any MMO if you wanted too.  

You are not getting it. 

No one is saying death penalties are enjoyable. You don't die, lose your stuff and go "oh joy!"

It's about understanding the rules for winning and losing and having both inspire you to play well, to succeed. It's also about equal playing field and everyone experiencing the same level of success/failure.

No one in any of the souls games is joyful for dropping all their souls and then running back to the boss battle.

Admittedly, there can be a certain fun (for me) in sneaking back without getting killed again but I do like stealth games so that always enjoyable.

If you don't play more "hardcore" games then you probably aren't the demographic for harsher death penalties.

No I think you missed it,  I didn't say I state I was against death penalties, you keep painting me in a broad brush of death penalties, I am saying specifically corpse runs and other mechanics that nobody would voluntarily do because its a waste of time.

Im fine with harder games, im more than fine actually, I advocate them.  I like in ESO when dungeons are first released that are very difficult to beat in the hardest mode.  I dont like that they keep nerfing the game.

What I dont like, is when I play, and forced to waste countless hours doing tedious things.
    Think you are missing what Pantheon is. Every area of the game is designed to bring people together and create social networks. Some classes have tools for corpse recovery, Rogues, Necros and maybe Bards. This brings value to classes and makes a community. Everything in this game is designed this way. You will not find the mentality you see in games like WoW or ESO, where you blast through a dungeon at breakneck speeds. This will be a slower game. Games like WoW have an A.D.D. mentality to the game, along with their death mechanic. People like me, have been screaming and begging for a game like Pantheon since EQ2 came out and was a flop of a game compared to EQ1. You dont want that type of game, move on. Or embrace a community that will support one another.  
    I think this is a key point and major contributing factor to the state of the genre.  Not every game has to appeal to the least common denominator.  Yes, this is targeting a specific market segment... a niche.   As long as they get enough subs to stay afloat then that’s a great thing. Not very game needs millions of players.  I just hope it’s released in a somewhat polished state and can sink or swim on its game based merits and not technical ones.

[Deleted User]SovrathNanfoodlekitarad[Deleted User]Wellspring

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    How long has this game been in development? How much longer till release - 2 yearss?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    This ‘game’ is not the game in practice that some think it to be in theory. 

Of course it isn't, the best game is always the one in a person's head vs one that actually exists and can be played.

Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:

Of course it isn't, the best game is always the one in a person's head vs one that actually exists and can be played.

There's a lot of money to be made by being all things to all people!  When you can sell somebody their own dreams... the wallets open.

That said... I am absolutely hoping that Pantheon is a decent game that actually releases at some point.   It's the only real PvE game on my radar.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Kyleran said:

Idk... I've played a lot of great games that I couldn't have dreamed up myself in a million years.
    --------------------------------------------
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    "The best subscripion model is B2P plus subscription."

Yep just use this model and every game ever made will make billions........If Pantheon goes this route they will be lucky to get 500 people.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Kyleran said:

Idk... I've played a lot of great games that I couldn't have dreamed up myself in a million years.
    Not much of a creative mind huh?

I have thought of most ideas before they even arrive in games.I have actually become impatient with developers,we are typically going nowhere fast,more backwards than anything.

I have already seen enough Pantheon to realize it won't be my dream mmorpg,not even mildly,remotely close,more like a few hundred millions miles further away than being close.

I was at one time patient,geesh i started gaming about 35 years ago,started learning C/C+ way way back in the dark ages around the time of very early Dos.So yeah i have been way more than patient.

Thing is it is kind of easy to fool people,i doubt many understand what these studios are actually capable of,the tech that is out there.Studios are capable of mind blowing games but there are several reasons WHY we don't see them.

Low quality producers,not much effort went into the pre design thoughts,studios are too small,not talented enough,don't have the money to spend the time needed to make a AAA game.I don't look at the games like others.I don't sit back and say WOW pretty good for one guy or a team of 3,i simply look at the game and say it is shit.

I look at gaming just like the real world of contractors,would you hire someone to work on yoru home if they were not very skilled or capable of doing quality work?No of  course not but the difference is a lot of these studios have nobody to answer to and often it is actually the investor that is pushing out crap.

WellspringMendel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.